HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(part 2) ECQF #5: Sabres @ Flyers - Friday, Apr. 22, 2011

Old
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
There is no place to shoot because the Sabres are sinking all their guys into the lanes. That is why SO MANY TIMES in the series the Flyers defense have received the puck inside the Buffalo blue line with 15 or 20 feet of space in front of them. Detroit did the same thing in 1997.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:17 AM
JVR21
G

This is why I don't understand why they don't just throw it into the scrum down low. Once the puck is in the slot with bodies all around it anything can happen.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Habs Fan In Ottawa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
85% of teams that win game 5 in a 2-2 series go on to win the series.

Leighton has probably lost us another series.
The habs from the 2009-2010 playoffs disagree. Both penguins and capitals were leading the series 3-2 after winning game 5.

Habs Fan In Ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
This is why I don't understand why they don't just throw it into the scrum down low. Once the puck is in the slot with bodies all around it anything can happen.

They've been trying the cram the whole series. They seem to be pushing for the 5 hole. Even Briere on the low left post isn't roofing it. Miller has some strong toothpicks under him. He's also reading and stuffing that angled shot from the right post, making it look easy I might add.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YassAttack View Post
The habs from the 2009-2010 playoffs disagree. Both penguins and capitals were leading the series 3-2 after winning game 5.
Congratulations, they're in the 15% that doesn't matter 85% of the time.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
There is no place to shoot because the Sabres are sinking all their guys into the lanes. That is why SO MANY TIMES in the series the Flyers defense have received the puck inside the Buffalo blue line with 15 or 20 feet of space in front of them. Detroit did the same thing in 1997.

Most teams do this against us. They don't respect Carle and Timonen's flying muffins. The difference between Buffalo and some other teams is the commitment and the goaltending. I think Lindy Ruff is a hypocrite, but he's a fine hockey coach.

Old
04-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
As much as everyone is killing the goalie situation, if they lose this series the PP is a close 2nd to why they did.
You're wrong here. The PP would be the #1 reason (by a landslide) why they lost. It's the ONLY consistent thing about this team all season long; their power play ****ing sucks.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
That's why they keep a stat called saves. It actually accounts for when the D can't block/stop a shot and it makes it all the way to the goalie. If you look it will differenitate for you how many were stopped versus how many went in.

It must be odd to watch a game and think the defense is flawless every moment except when Leighton allows a goal.
Well said.......except didn't you know , those were saves anyone could make ...these guys posting on here make those saves in their sleep ( also where they play their best hockey ). Our great defense and with our forwards coming back to help every time makes all those shots that get through routine!!! I can't listen to these boneheads year in and year out, there is a reason most goalies don't even want to play here. Hextall ...SUCKS...Esche....SUCKS...Nitty...SUCKS ... Roman...SUCKS Boucher...SUCKS...and of course Leighton...SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those goalies only won games because our defense was soooooooo good

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
You're wrong here. The PP would be the #1 reason (by a landslide) why they lost. It's the ONLY consistent thing about this team all season long; their power play ****ing sucks.
yet everyone is killing Boosh and Leighton when if they could have scored on the PP they would of most likely won that.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
Well said.......except didn't you know , those were saves anyone could make ...these guys posting on here make those saves in their sleep ( also where they play their best hockey ). Our great defense and with our forwards coming back to help every time makes all those shots that get through routine!!! I can't listen to these boneheads year in and year out, there is a reason most goalies don't even want to play here. Hextall ...SUCKS...Esche....SUCKS...Nitty...SUCKS ... Roman...SUCKS Boucher...SUCKS...and of course Leighton...SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those goalies only won games because our defense was soooooooo good

Those boneheads are pretty much right discounting Hextall from that list.

Old
04-23-2011, 03:17 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eech View Post
I was never a fan of Leighton and this is why. It also annoys me that he put the blame on the defence when talking to the media. Real character guy he is...
Right? One game back and he's placing blame already

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/120528099.html

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
yet everyone is killing Boosh and Leighton when if they could have scored on the PP they would of most likely won that.
If they could score on the pp this series would have been over in 4 games. Boosh/Leighton lost us 1 game this series, but because its the Flyers people are making it out to be the only reason we are down. While goal-tending needs to be addressed in the off season it's truly remarkable our pp has been this terrible for this entire season.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Totally Radivojevic

So, is there anyone who still doesn't think Giroux is the best/most valuable forward (and for that matter, player) on the team?

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
They shoot the puck, but let's not act like they do it well. The high and wides from Carter were one thing, it's sometimes the price you have to pay for the lethal shot. Timonen's firing muffins everywhere but the net(I'm a Kimo fan but he's been all over the map.) It's like no one wants to be the guy to take the shot.
High and wides from Carter...the guy who was 3rd in the league in shots?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
High and wides from Carter...the guy who was 3rd in the league in shots?

Yeah, that would be the same Carter. He'd be an annual 40 goal guy if he was a little more accurate. Or are you saying that he doesn't frequently miss high and wide?

I'm not saying just Jeff Carter, there's been a lot of guys missing when they get the shooting lane. Timonen has especially caught my attention...either wide or right into Miller's chest protector. Obviously some props to Buffalo's shot blockers and Ryan Miller. They're in the Flyers heads now, they seem to be very tentative when it comes time to pull the trigger.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
So, is there anyone who still doesn't think Giroux is the best/most valuable forward (and for that matter, player) on the team?

Giroux has really grown as a player, JVR has looked special in this series.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah, that would be the same Carter. He'd be an annual 40 goal guy if he was a little more accurate. Or are you saying that he doesn't frequently miss high and wide?

I'm not saying just Jeff Carter, there's been a lot of guys missing when they get the shooting lane. Timonen has especially caught my attention...either wide or right into Miller's chest protector. Obviously some props to Buffalo's shot blockers and Ryan Miller. They're in the Flyers heads now, they seem to be very tentative when it comes time to pull the trigger.
3rd in the league in shots, no one should be complaining about him missing the net. Before Carter was around, people were complaining for years about how no one could ever hit the net, and now that Carter does just that, he's not picking enough corners.

For defensemen, putting the puck on net is the whole idea. It's the job of the forwards to set screens and deflect pucks.

Old
04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
3rd in the league in shots, no one should be complaining about him missing the net. Before Carter was around, people were complaining for years about how no one could ever hit the net, and now that Carter does just that, he's not picking enough corners.

For defensemen, putting the puck on net is the whole idea. It's the job of the forwards to set screens and deflect pucks.

Don't care if he picks corners, his shot is lethal. Just don't chest snipe and there should be rebound opps. I also don't care if Jeff Carter gets 10 shots against the Islanders and Thrashers in the regular season. I want to see that shot in games that matter on a consistent basis. Anyways, wasn't complaining about Carter to begin with. I've learned to accept the shortcomings, he's otherwise a fun player to watch.

Carter's not the issue in this round, defensemen lofting high and wide nerf pucks all the while second guessing themselves... That's what I have the problem with. They've got to stop over thinking and pull the ****ing trigger. Mez seems to get it, just get it through Carle and kimo's skulls.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Right? One game back and he's placing blame already

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/120528099.html
Quote:
“You know, it’s a tough situation,” he said of Tyler Ennis’ winning goal. “The defenseman has to go out and block the puck, and it kind of puts a little bit of a screen on me, and I just caught it (the sight of the puck) through. You know, it’s just a play that has to happen; the defense has to do that and it was just kind of a lucky bounce right on the guy’s tape.”
Nice team support, Mike! That's pretty incredible: the defense has to block the shot. Because you aren't sure you can?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Nice team support, Mike! That's pretty incredible: the defense has to block the shot. Because you aren't sure you can?

Sounds to me like he's simply stating that the defenseman did his job and unfortunately it worked the wrong way. People who think this is throwing someone under a bus are being a little dramatic.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

There was a time where defensemen didn't block shots at all.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
There was a time where defensemen didn't block shots at all.

But they were allowed to molest opposing forwards back then. Gave them something more productive to do.

Old
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Sounds to me like he's simply stating that the defenseman did his job and unfortunately it worked the wrong way. People who think this is throwing someone under a bus are being a little dramatic.
Whether or not he's actually throwing someone under the bus, he's still kind of making excuses. In that situation when you came off the bench and didn't have much to do most of the game, you should probably keep your mouth shut. As a backup goalie, when you kick out a bad rebound (whether you saw it all the way or not), and it lost the game, you usually try to stick with a response like "I picked it up late and the rebound got away, it's unfortunate but we'll move on." You don't need to even talk about what the D was doing on that play; you give the simplest and most noncommittal answer, focus on your own game, and move on.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Whether or not he's actually throwing someone under the bus, he's still kind of making excuses. In that situation when you came off the bench and didn't have much to do most of the game, you should probably keep your mouth shut. As a backup goalie, when you kick out a bad rebound (whether you saw it all the way or not), and it lost the game, you usually try to stick with a response like "I picked it up late and the rebound got away, it's unfortunate but we'll move on." You don't need to even talk about what the D was doing on that play; you give the simplest and most noncommittal answer, focus on your own game, and move on.

I don't see it the same way you do. He was describing the goal not throwing anyone under the bus. When have you been a pro hockey player? Who are you to question their interview etiquette? He lost sight of the puck when the defenseman did his job, unfortunate. You're reading too much into it.

Old
04-24-2011, 11:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

you cant score 40 goals if you dont shoot the puck a lot. you shoot the puck a lot you will miss a lot usually. I wonder if we had Ovechkin on this team would people whine about his 8.7 shooting percentage this year.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote