HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

(part 2) ECQF #5: Sabres @ Flyers - Friday, Apr. 22, 2011

Old
04-22-2011, 10:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I think Tocchet is missing the point about Boosh botching it from the outset...he set the team back and deflated them. They had to expend all that energy to come back. Yeah the PP sucks and some people need to score but c'mon....Boosh choked. Now at least he's taking responsibility and he wants to redeem himself so I can understand somewhat why Tocchet wants him back. Just a psychological decision. Gut move by Lavy come sunday...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I think Pronger actually jinxed us with this

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I think most people on here get nervous because of how he performed in the finals. There are a few people on this board who think Leighton is the answer. You're right about Boucher tonight lol. He definently lost us the game, however, it's not like Leighton stepped in and won it for us.
Fair enough - I can't argue with that.

It's just funny, because I bet if you went through all the posts over the past 18 months for a research project you would have to conclude that Leighton has never seen a game where they other team had more than 2 or 3 scoring chances.

Nobody is that lucky. He's not good enough to anchor this team - that's a fact. I do feel bad for the guy though, he takes a lot of heat for being a back-up playing WAY OVER HIS HEAD and being made into a starter on a team that should be winning titles w/ a true #1.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Last Minute Tickets for game 6 on Stubhub: 750.00
2 Greyhound Tickets Toronto-Buffalo: 72.00
2 Mickeys of Jameson: 28.00

Holding your head up high regardless of the outcome: Priceless
I salute the mother****ing hell out of you, sir.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
That would be ****ing terrible. Remember how buffalo smoked us when we had esche in net? Yea it will be like that.
If Leighton starts game 6; I honestly don't think I can watch it. Seeing him play in this game gave me horrible flashbacks of game 6.

...it was a nightmare...

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Ya know what the worst thing about all this is?

Unless Leighton starts in game 6 and gets run out of the rink in a loss, Holmgren can still hang his hat on him and say 'ya know what, Michael didn't get much of a chance this year but we felt he worked his way back up and looked good,' and continue on with him next year while making Boucher the goat because he blew this game.

Also, if I'm Bobrovsky, I'm furious that I have to sit up in the press box after playing all year and watch these two suck it up in this game.
Oh this is 100% what will happen. Has the Pronger/Carter excuse and we go with Bob/MFL next year and resign lazy Leino and we are ****ed next year to.

Boosh, MFL, Leino, Carle, Harts or Steeg out
Vokoun/Bryz, Young guys, UFA in.

And before the Bryz sucks cause of this year, he plays on an AHL salary floor team, no goalie would of lasted in Pho this year.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:04 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I think Tocchet is missing the point about Boosh botching it from the outset...he set the team back and deflated them. They had to expend all that energy to come back. Yeah the PP sucks and some people need to score but c'mon....Boosh choked. Now at least he's taking responsibility and he wants to redeem himself so I can understand somewhat why Tocchet wants him back. Just a psychological decision. Gut move by Lavy come sunday...
I dunno what I'd do if I'm Lavy. It's sucks to be in this position once again though. b

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

sink or swim w/ Bobrovsky .... sick of 33 and 49.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Bloggers on the Flyers beat were implying that Bobrovsky had a serious breakdown. He was despondent after game 1 and, allegedly, has been a zombie after getting pulled in game 2.

From the sounds of it, if he showed any sign of being mentally "together" at all, he would be getting these starts.

I feel awful for him. On a team full of North American meatheads, he is on an island because of the language barrier. It's impossible for a veteran to have a heart to heart with him when he's low.
This was Meltzer's take..yeah Bob kind of cracked by the sounds of it

Quote:
By his own admission, Sergei Bobrovsky has not felt mentally up to par since losing game one. Despite playing will in the team's 1-0 loss, he took the defeat hard (and had to be coaxed to speak afterwards) and then pressed in game two.

Speaking to Philadelphia-based Sovetsky Sport writer Natalia Bragilevskaya (who sometimes serves as his translator), Bobrovsky said after Game 2, "Physically, I feel normal. Mentally, not so much. But I will be OK soon."

Bobrovsky's pledge to bounce right back may have said one thing but his body language said something different. I suspect that Jeff Reese and Peter Laviolette picked up on it, and that figured in why Michael Leighton was chosen to back up Boucher.

I feel for Bobrovsky. He's a 22-year-old kid who still speaks limited English -- making it impossible for him to have a heart-to-heart with Reese or Boucher about the mental aspects of playoff hockey. The NHL season is longer than European seasons (which are now over, including the playoffs) and the Stanley Cup playoff atmosphere is different than the regular season. Bobrovsky entered the series knowing he was looking over his shoulder and would be yanked at the first sign of trouble. Those are pretty tough conditions under which to excel, but Bobrovsky played quite well in the first game.

Over the long haul, Bobrovsky should be fine. In the short term, it cannot help his psyche to have been demoted to third goalie. But the first concern of Laviolette and the team has to be to win. Yes, the rookie goaltender showed resiliency and mental toughness throughout the regular season whenever he had tough games. But if the coaching staff got the sense that Bobrovsky has been mentally "off" the last few days, they really had no choice but to scratch him.

It is only natural for young players, even the most confident and mentally strong ones, to go through times of self-doubt. It's normal to press and try to do a little too much. In Bobrovsky's case, the player has had too much time to be in his own head and dwell on things. Eventually, he should figure out that a bad game -- even in the playoffs -- can be put aside. Will that happen right away? We'll see, but if I were Peter Laviolette, I'd have reservations about turning back to Bobrovsky in this series.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...&blogger_id=45

Old
healthyscratch

I went from being real mad that I was going to be at Easter dinner at 3 on Sunday, to whatever.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyphan25

Wow, I hadn't noticed Leighton sucked in that game. Regardless of how you think a goalie looks during games, wouldn't you rather have a goalie who doesn't let up many goals and wins games? Leighton has had nothing but Success for the past few years, either in the AHL or for the Flyers. I'm not saying bench Boosh, he caught some bad breaks here and this game could have been much different if Z and OD actually looked like hockey players on those first two goals, however I think Leighton is our best option and a pretty damn good option as he proved last year in helping the Flyers go from likely #1 pick to the Game 6 of the Cup Finals (and possibly bringing home the cup if Carter could have hit an empty net or if our first line Richie, Gagne and Carts didn't look like boys amongst men).

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Giving Bob a chance would be a huge confidence boost

However I fear he would hang himself if we lost or he got pulled

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
sink or swim w/ Bobrovsky .... sick of 33 and 49.
Ain't gonna happen.

Sadly, they have to go back to Boucher.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
Wow, I hadn't noticed Leighton sucked in that game. Regardless of how you think a goalie looks during games, wouldn't you rather have a goalie who doesn't let up many goals and wins games? Leighton has had nothing but Success for the past few years, either in the AHL or for the Flyers. I'm not saying bench Boosh, he caught some bad breaks here and this game could have been much different if Z and OD actually looked like hockey players on those first two goals, however I think Leighton is our best option and a pretty damn good option as he proved last year in helping the Flyers go from likely #1 pick to the Game 6 of the Cup Finals (and possibly bringing home the cup if Carter could have hit an empty net or if our first line Richie, Gagne and Carts didn't look like boys amongst men).
You lost all credibility when you said Leighton has had nothing but success.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
It's just funny, because I bet if you went through all the posts over the past 18 months for a research project you would have to conclude that Leighton has never seen a game where they other team had more than 2 or 3 scoring chances.
I'm sure that's true, however, I've also had quiet a few people tell me that Leighton carried the team to the finals, etc. My 'hate' towards him has to do with his performance in the finals and for lying about his back injury in the off season. I was always appreciative of him coming in and winning some games for us and playing solid. I never thought nor wanted him to be the answer in goal. My biggest fear was that once we played a good offensive team(Chicago), all his short comings would be exploited.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Giving Bob a chance would be a huge confidence boost

However I fear he would hang himself if we lost or he got pulled
The soaps One Life to Live and All my Children are being cancelled yet we keep seeing reruns of ALL MY GOALTENDING EFF UPS by Holmgren and this organization. Again...two career backup goalies and a rookie going into the playoffs...I swear you have better odds playing Powerball...

Old
04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Ain't gonna happen.

Sadly, they have to go back to Boucher.
I agree, I think they'll start Boucher and say the old "everyone has a bad night"

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

I wish William Shakespeare were still around - I bet he could write a great tragedy about the Flyers goalie situation since the death of Pelle Lindbergh (or maybe post-Hextall).

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The soaps One Life to Live and All my Children are being cancelled yet we keep seeing reruns of ALL MY GOALTENDING EFF UPS by Holmgren and this organization. Again...two career backup goalies and a rookie going into the playoffs...I swear you have better odds playing Powerball...
I prefer "As the Goalies Turn"

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:12 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
The last goal was not Leighton's fault. The D HAS to cover those guys. With that in mind, my headshakes of the game:

1 - Boucher
2 - Timonen
3 - Carle
The D blew that play, but Leighton can't put that juicy rebound there in OT. He just can't. If he were a better goaltender, there were options for him to get that away from Ennis....but Leighton is awful.

I'm not blaming him for the game, and he's not solely to blame on the goal, but for once if this team just had a decent goaltender (most playoff teams have better backups than we do starters) that rebound probably doesn't happen.

Also, Michael Leighton blames the defense for that goal publically? I hope Zherdev has a few Russian mobsters come and garrote that stupid ****, and his body is found floating somewhere in the north end of the Delaware, buoyed by his freebound-generating RBK pads. Moron.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
If Leighton starts game 6; I honestly don't think I can watch it. Seeing him play in this game gave me horrible flashbacks of game 6.

...it was a nightmare...
Yeah and it gave me flashbacks of the 3 shutouts he had in the eastern conf finals last year (3 more than the Flyers Goalies have had this year)

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I prefer "As the Goalies Turn"
Sadly as Flyers fans we all have ONE LIFE TO LIVE and I'm still waiting for a cup...

Anyway..let's hope they can somehow pull this out ..we can only hope now. We need one of the trifailures in goal to post a shutout and stop depending all on the D

Old
04-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Yeah and it gave me flashbacks of the 3 shutouts he had in the eastern conf finals last year (3 more than the Flyers Goalies have had this year)
How did a goalie who was letting out bad rebounds into the slot on every shot and who generally just looked slow remind you of shutouts?

Old
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I'm sure that's true, however, I've also had quiet a few people tell me that Leighton carried the team to the finals, etc. My 'hate' towards him has to do with his performance in the finals and for lying about his back injury in the off season. I was always appreciative of him coming in and winning some games for us and playing solid. I never thought nor wanted him to be the answer in goal. My biggest fear was that once we played a good offensive team(Chicago), all his short comings would be exploited.
Yeah, again, that's very fair. I think I became a semi-fan (or at least defender) because a lot of the hate. He never should have been the answer in goal though, last year or this year. And the fact that he's even on the radar this year after playing all of 1 game in the NHL this season is a testament to the fact that the Flyers need to wake up and deal with their goaltending situation.

The window for success is going to close sooner or later.

Still, he put them in a position to win the game - 40 minutes to tie or win the game. They tied it, and Carle effed up, and Leighton did a crap job on the final shot and it's over. Still, for his second game of the year against NHL competition, it was a better performance than anyone should probably have expected.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
congrats . I'm glad to see someone is satisfied with 2nd place.