HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(part 2) ECQF #5: Sabres @ Flyers - Friday, Apr. 22, 2011

Old
04-22-2011, 10:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
THIS IS ALL CARTER's FAULT.......RUMOR IS THAT HE TOOK BOOSH OUT AND GOT HIM WASTED LAST NIGHT!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I'm feeling empty.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:18 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
And the fact that he's even on the radar this year after playing all of 1 game in the NHL this season is a testament to the fact that the Flyers need to wake up and deal with their goaltending situation.

The window for success is going to close sooner or later.
There lies the root problems. They really do need to wakeup and do something about it. Who knows what will happen with the cap, plus Briere, Timonen and Pronger aren't getting any younger.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:18 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
The soaps One Life to Live and All my Children are being cancelled yet we keep seeing reruns of ALL MY GOALTENDING EFF UPS by Holmgren and this organization. Again...two career backup goalies and a rookie going into the playoffs...I swear you have better odds playing Powerball...
What happened to all the draft picks we lost? It was supposed to be cup or bust this year (certainly after "Versteeg" arrived) and now we're hoping to somehow make it to the second round with an undecided starter.

No team in NHL history has won a game 7 in the first round and went on to win the Stanley Cup. I understand that we're better than the Sabres but it shouldn't have to take seven games. With that being said, this team loves to write history

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:19 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
THIS IS ALL CARTER's FAULT.......RUMOR IS THAT HE TOOK BOOSH OUT AND GOT HIM WASTED LAST NIGHT!
I guess Boucher got the wrong idea when Carter showed him an easy score.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

i cant believe this. i look at our lineup up and down and i just wonder how...

how are we losing to this team

the mother****ing buffalo sabres

a team filled with call ups and injuries, and yet they relentlessly **** us into submission seemingly every night

im going into a coma, no one wake me up

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

They are going to get Vokoun a decade too late. It will be another Beezer situation....that is my prediction. Vokoun is having back problems now but we'll pull another Leighton and not do our due
diligence with a physical

Old
04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Seriously why did Lavy play Rinaldo instead of Holmstrom?

Old
04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

a team filled with call ups and injuries, and yet they relentlessly **** us into submission seemingly every night

It's pretty amazing what solid goaltending can do for a team.

You can all say what you want about Leighton, and I'm certainly not his apologist -- but if Boucher doesn't **** the bed on the first 2 goals, the Flyers win that game.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'm going to walk to the bar and drink. If I make any questionable decisions, I can rest assured they won't be as questionable as the Flyers' thought process when it comes to goaltending.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
congrats . I'm glad to see someone is satisfied with 2nd place.
where do you get that from? obviously you want to win the CUP, however, you need to make it there first. It's an argument I'll never win but I just don't understand how Leighton gets no credit for last years run (yeah they didn't win but it's a season I'll never forget), but all the credit for the Cup loss.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
where do you get that from? obviously you want to win the CUP, however, you need to make it there first. It's an argument I'll never win but I just don't understand how Leighton gets no credit for last years run (yeah they didn't win but it's a season I'll never forget), but all the credit for the Cup loss.
The team did not make it to the Finals BECAUSE of Leighton. They made it there DESPITE him.

That's why.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm going to walk to the bar and drink. If I make any questionable decisions, I can rest assured they won't be as questionable as the Flyers' thought process when it comes to goaltending.
The fact that you're walking to the bar instead of driving already puts you a step ahead of the Flyers on that front.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:27 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
The team did not make it to the Finals BECAUSE of Leighton. They made it there DESPITE him.

That's why.
And then subsequently lost the finals because of him.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
How much credit does Boucher get for backstopping the team past the Devils so quickly and solidly, which undoubtedly meant that the team was just a little less banged up for the remaining games?

Nobody gives a **** if you played a marginal role at some point in the process if it ultimately doesn't add up to your goal.

I will forever remember some of the heroics from last year - Lappy's blocked shot, Giroux/Gagne/Richards turning around the Boston series, and the domination of the Habs. But Leighton was, for most of those playoffs, a passenger on the team. He really wasn't tested until we got to Chicago, where he failed.

And before anyone calls me a hater, I'm not. I would be perfectly fine with Leighton for less money as our backup. I think the dude's okay for that. But he shouldn't be starting for this team, and should only see the ice from the bench in the playoffs.

Boucher should be in the same boat, too. Neither of these guys are capable of being forced to be 'the guy' long-term. I think, however, that Boosh is better suited to be a backup because he has more experience and seems more willing to play the backup game and be a good team-first guy. Which Leighton, with his herniagate contract scandal and controversial comments tonight, has indicated he's not...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:31 PM
DoomMF

Quote:

That's why.
Right, because outside of the finals his save percentage in the playoffs including tonight is probably what, .950+? Nobody is that lucky.

A back-up that played over his head for a bit, and was helped along by a very, VERY good team, but to make it sound like a chimp could have accomplished the same thing is ridiculous and something only someone who only follows fantasy hockey would conclude.

He ain't that good, but it was a pretty solid accomplishment nevertheless.

Yes, they lost the finals because of him - sort of - but they really lost because they thought they could get by with mediocre in yet another season.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
MGIII
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

Well, this Sabres squad came together as a team going into the playoffs. They may be a bunch of callups and no names but they have game and are hungry.

Also, the defense is playing to accommodate Miller by letting him see the shots and clearing all the rebounds he happens to give up.

Plus, the Sabres are playing a lot tougher than everyone expected, which has allowed them to gut out our two shutout wins.

It's easy to look at the time of possession and say we're getting outplayed but the amount of quality scoring chances both of these teams have had has been equal at least, if not somewhat in favor of the Sabres.

Furthermore, our goaltending is better. This is the biggest point. And has tightened the talent disparity gap.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

gotta be and will be boucher in game 6 imo. **** is far from over, just gotta grind one out on the road and as they say, anything can happen in a game 7!

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:37 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGIII View Post
Well, this Sabres squad came together as a team going into the playoffs. They may be a bunch of callups and no names but they have game and are hungry.

Also, the defense is playing to accommodate Miller by letting him see the shots and clearing all the rebounds he happens to give up.

Plus, the Sabres are playing a lot tougher than everyone expected, which has allowed them to gut out our two shutout wins.

It's easy to look at the time of possession and say we're getting outplayed but the amount of quality scoring chances both of these teams have had has been equal at least, if not somewhat in favor of the Sabres.

Furthermore, our goaltending is better. This is the biggest point. And has tightened the talent disparity gap.
I agree with you fully on all points but your suggestion that the Sabres may be leading the scoring chances. I'd tend more towards equal with a slight edge over the Flyers. All of our puck possession and zone time has not translated to a lot of GOOD chances, but rather mostly perimeter/bad angle chances on Miller (even close chances can be more or less easy saves if they're not right in the slot).

That said, I think the edge on really good opportunities falls to the Flyers; Miller has had to make a lot more big saves than any of the Flyers goalies have, but as you mentioned, goaltending is the great equalizer.

I also don't think the Flyers are that hungry. I think for the last few months they figured that they'd just show up and what happened last year would happen again. They seem too content.

Old
04-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Beastieboy

I'm not giving up yet. Hopefully neither are the Flyers. I think they go back to Boosh in game 6. As much as people are sh*tting on Boosh and Leighton right now, the goalies have lost us 1 game in this series. The offence getting shutout has lost us 2.

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Beastieboy

Why dress Rinaldo to play a minute? Surely Shelley could have done that and provided a bit more veteran presence/locker room mojo than Rinaldo. Or play Gus or Holmstrom... not a deciding factor but seems bizarre.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:43 PM
TheKingPin

From the sounds of it G and many of the Flyers are legit pissed. I think we win the next game 5-2. We can win this series and prob the next without our best players being the best players. This team should beat the sabres most every game. Time to simply beat them in one.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
The Fuhr

Meszaros

Might have been the best game I have ever watched from him

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Flyerfan4life

im going with Leights to start game 6..

sink or swim.. if he wants that starter position next year..

time to earn it..

to those who say Leights cost us the game.. i have to just laff...thats seriously all ur comments are worth.. and its not even a good laff..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 10:48 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
im going with Leights to start game 6..

sink or swim.. if he wants that starter position next year..

time to earn it..

to those who say Leights cost us the game.. i have to just laff...thats seriously all ur comments are worth.. and its not even a good laff..
I lol'd.