HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD2011 Bob Cole Prelims: (4) Portland Pirates vs. (5) Montreal AAA

Old
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
ATD2011 Bob Cole Prelims: (4) Portland Pirates vs. (5) Montreal AAA

coaches Dr. Jan Starsi and Ivan Hlinka

Brian Propp - Cyclone Taylor - Helmuts Balderis
Tommy Smith - Igor Larionov - George Armstrong (A)
Vinny Damphousse - Red Sullivan (A) - Bengt-Åke Gustafsson
Jack Marks - Brian Skrudland - Pat Flatley
Frank Rankin, Moose Watson

Red Kelly (C) - Tom Johnson
Vladimir Lutchenko - Battleship Leduc
Fred Lake - Phil Housley
Albert Langlois

Hugh Lehman
John Vanbiesbrouck

Red Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Kelly, in a Legends of Hockey interview
"I had a temper. I had red hair," Kelly laughs. "I was the welterweight boxing champ at St. Mike's. I could take care of myself. Joe Primeau taught me you don't win games in the penalty box. You've got to stay on the ice. Players would try to get you off the ice sometimes but you're more valuable to a team when you're on the ice."
Cyclone Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kieran, New York Times, March 27th 1930
The greatest player that ever pulled a pair of skates on his feet. That's who Cyclone Taylor was. And a fighter! I remember the night he and Newsy Lalonde had it out on the ice, and then, after the game, Newsy was getting on a street car and Taylor, coming up from behind, grabbed him by the leg and pulled him off. They fought in the snow for an hour.
Igor Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL teammates
"He was a leader, but a silent man with us. He leads by example. He wasn't a big man, but he was always in good shape. He did his work on the ice and he didn't say much, but when he did, guys would listen because he had so much experience and knowledge of the game. It was an honor to play with Igor Larionov."

"Igor with the puck, he would always seem to slow things down. Unbelievable passer, and you just can't say enough about the vision that he had out there on the ice, with or without the puck, at both ends. He was a huge part of our success and us winning Stanley Cups."
Tom Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by journalist Red Fisher, in interview
''Of all the great players I covered in Montreal in the 1950s, I don't think there was anybody who played with more pain when he had to,'' said Fisher. ''He'd take shots in his knees. They were ripped up, and he'd come out and play. Injuries didn't matter to this guy. He'd never make any kind of a big deal about it. As a result, he became a great favorite of (then Canadiens general manager) Frank Selke Sr. He didn't play too many favorites, but certainly, Tom Johnson was one of his favorites."
Brian Propp

Vladimir Lutchenko

He was the cornerstone of the great USSR teams' defense in the 1970s, effective in the 1972 Summit Series, the 1974 Series, the 1976 Canada Cup bronze medal, eight world championships and ten Soviet league titles, in addition to two Olympic golds. He was a Soviet all-star for seven years in a row: 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977.

George Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by the back of his 1970-71 Topps Card
Never a prolific scorer, George is a tenacious checker and his perserverance in the corners is evident in the number of times he comes with the puck.
Phil Housley

Quote:
"Phantom Phil" played quarterback and defensive back in high school, so no surprise he is good at reading plays. He has scored 300+ NHL goals and 1200+ NHL points and seven times played in NHL All-Star Game (1984, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000)
Helmuts Balderis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouting Report of Derek Holmes, tech director of Hockey Canada, as reported Feb., 3rd 1979, The Globe & Mail
"Helmut Balderis, right wing - Worth the price of admission. Fantastic skills. Probably the best player in the world. Offensive-oriented player who has a great touch around the net and dazzling speed."
Hugh Lehman

Vinny Damphousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourhistory.canadiens
Considered one of the most complete centermen in Canadiens history, Vincent Damphousse was known not only for his huge offensive output, but also for his great two-way play and significant defensive contributions.
Albert "Battleship” Leduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourhistory.canadiens
Always moving at top speed, Leduc’s devastating body checks made him a fan favorite at the Forum. Cracking the NHL’s top 10 most penalized players list on three occasions, the robust rearguard fittingly earned himself the nickname “Battleship”. As adept with the puck as he was at retrieving it...
Tommy Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-Notes
On more than one occasion, though, he surprised some of the more rugged types in the league when they tried to slap him around. He was also the top face-off man of his era.
VS

Head Coach : Vladimir Yurzinov
Ass / Goalie coach : Warren Strelow

Aurel Joliat - Stan Mikita - Didier Pitre
Jiri Holik - Marty Walsh - Reggie Leach
Marty Pavelich -Ralph Backstrom - Blair Russel
Georges Mantha - Andy Blair - Joe Lamb
Josef Malecek - Tony Amonte

Mark Howe - Ken Reardon
Lionel Hitchman - Dickie Boon
Allan Cameron - Clem Loughlin
Udo Kiessling

(Georges Mantha is the unofficial 8th D-Men)

Ron Hextall
Chico Resch

Joliat - Mikita - Leach - Howe - Loughlin
Holik - Walsh - Pitre - Reardon - Boon

(with Amonte in the lineup, Pitre is moved to the 1st unit, on D. Amonte is on the 2nd line)

Pavelich - Backstrom - Hitchman - Cameron
Mantha - Russell - Boon - Reardon
Pitre - Mikita - Hitchman - Howe/Cameron
Joliat - Blair/Lamb/Backstrom (depends on opponent, and who's in the sin bin) - Boon - Reardon/Howe (see, the C's)
- the 2nd guy is the C/main faceoff player -

(Udo Kiessling gets PK time if he plays (think Allen Cameron's spot)), and gets PP time if Amonte isn't in the lineup, Reardon isn't in the sin bin, and Boon needs a rest. Which mean -- he probably doesn't get any)

NEED A GOAL?

Joliat - Mikita - Pitre - Howe

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:30 AM
DoMakc

Seventies, can you delete those minibios? I thought it wasn't really necessary to put them into roster post, but it was a "rookie"...
I was shocked to see Montreal finish last in this division: outstanding first and third lines, strong first pairing, I guess, this is what Ron Hextall does to your team...

DoMakc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:18 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Those minibios really make this annoying to look at.

Edit:haha, the only other post in the thread said the same thing

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:02 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
damn I hated those mini bios everytime I tried to compare teams in the roster thread , like why do you feel the need to take 6 times the space everybody else is taking? lol

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
damn I hated those mini bios everytime I tried to compare teams in the roster thread , like why do you feel the need to take 6 times the space everybody else is taking? lol
When you're running six times as many teams as everyone else, why not?

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:50 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that had Portland a lot higher than this? Maybe it was because I sent in my votes before the VI fiasco, but I think that's a strong team that people trashed because of the guy that built it. This was the hardest division to rank if you ask me, neither of these teams deserves to be eliminated this early.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I'm not the biggest fan of Portland's scoring lines to be honest. I think Propp, Balderis, and Armstrong would all be best pushed down one line on the depth chart, though Propp and Armstrong do both raise their level of offense in the playoffs.

Portland's 2nd and 3rd defense pairings are a bit too offensively inclined for my liking.

Portland does have some nice strengths though - Red Kelly is a great #1 and while neither Johnson of Lutchenko is a standout at a #2, the fact that he has both of them is really nice.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Am I the only one that had Portland a lot higher than this? Maybe it was because I sent in my votes before the VI fiasco, but I think that's a strong team that people trashed because of the guy that built it. This was the hardest division to rank if you ask me, neither of these teams deserves to be eliminated this early.
I didn't expect to be in the bottom 2 but was still thrilled to find out I wasn't. It was a very strong divison, and I also can't help but think the VI fiasco seriously hurt his team.

I'll check the votes from before and after the multi account issue to see if there is any trend.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
hungryhungryhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Nope, I had Portland ranked #1 in the division.

EDIT: lol, you know what I just remembered? When I compared Marleau to Propp in the draft thread earlier this year, VanI came in and said that he loved the comparison to Propp because he was "another one of those extremely-underrated, multi-use, etc... players" and basically pimped Propp.

hungryhungryhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
Nope, I had Portland ranked #1 in the division.
Well I'd love to run in to them and try to change your mind in that case.

Edit: Good catch on the cross player pimpimg haha.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Patrik Elias > Brian Propp, though it's likely close.

Propp is a great guy to have in the playoffs, but he's a tad overrated by his regulat draft position IMO.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

Propp is a great guy to have in the playoffs, but he's a tad overrated by his regulat draft position IMO.
agreed

Old
04-23-2011, 12:27 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
agreed
Of course you do...

Old
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Of course you do...
of course I do

Always liked Elias anyway , way before having him on my ATD team.

Old
04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:

I don't know.. I think he's probably about right depending on team need.

Personally, I would take him over John Leclair and Steve Schutt (two of the LWs drafted before him) pretty much any day at face value. As always it depends on your teams philosophy etc. but Propp was such a good all around player and the stats don't really do him justice.

In general I think those Flyers teams of the 80s get underrated (Howe, Propp, Poulin, Kerr etc.) because they couldn't close the deal against some dynasty clubs.

Each of those guys were extremely good players.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I really want to vote for this series objectively. One of the huge potential advantages I see for Portland is in goal - I think that in the regular season, Lehman is probably just as good as Georges Vezina and just a little behind Charlie Gardiner.

And Hextall, well, he has a great goalie coach to help him out....

That said, Sturm, you said based on your research Lehman might be the biggest playoff choker of all time. Did you find anything other than a report or two of a goal from center ice? Just one or two incidents makes him no worse than Tony Esposito, which might be an issue, or maybe not.

Edit: Other than what we already know, which is that Lehman's teams kept losing in the finals.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-24-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old
04-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Dreakmur

I had Montreal AAA as the top team in this division.

One of the best 1st lines. One of the best 3rd ines. A solid top-4 on the blueline.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:02 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

I had Montreal AAA as the top team in this division.

One of the best 1st lines. One of the best 3rd ines. A solid top-4 on the blueline.
Solid top 3 on the blueline at least. I'm not sold (yet?) on Boon in the top 4

Agree that first and third lines for Montreal are great.

Old
04-24-2011, 05:21 PM
seventieslord

I know those mini-bios are annoying. But, I left them in because what I feel I was given the go-ahead to do was include the full roster posts, not make the executive decision as to what should and shouldn't be included from each person's roster post - essentially, I just wanted to handle each one exactly the same.

If you guys are not fans of this after all, let's discuss it some more so that I create these matchup threads the best way going forward.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I know those mini-bios are annoying. But, I left them in because what I feel I was given the go-ahead to do was include the full roster posts, not make the executive decision as to what should and shouldn't be included from each person's roster post - essentially, I just wanted to handle each one exactly the same.

If you guys are not fans of this after all, let's discuss it some more so that I create these matchup threads the best way going forward.
Rosters.
PP and PK units.
Links to Bios.

That's all we need.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 05:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Rosters.
PP and PK units.
Links to Bios.

That's all we need.
Basically. I could do without Links to bios if they make the post longer, but don't mind keeping them in. We basically just need the roster in the way it was presented in the roster thread.

Edit: If you feel it's a problem to decide what to include or not, I'd rather go back to VI's way than have long lists of when a guy was drafted, mini profiles, or trophy cases in the OP.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-25-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Montreal AAA HC defeats the Portland Pirates 2 games to 1.

3 stars:
1. Mikita
2. Kelly
3. Joliat