HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF Gm#5: KINGS @ SHARKS - Saturday, 4/23 @ 7:30 pm | FS-Prime, Versus, TSN, RDS

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
JR28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I see it differently, the reason why we have been "offensive" is because it seems they have abandoned what has gotten them here, they have tried to play the SJ game the last two games and it bit them in the ass.

They need to get back to what they do, grind, grind, capitalize on their chances, limit the SJ chances, get back to defend, counterattack hockey, THAT is what made them succesful, not trying to out gun SJ.
I agree that they did get away with what they did to get the 4-0 lead, once they pulled Niemi. After that they never put any pressure on Nittymacki and he was able to make saves easily. They completely went into a shell, unfortunately it wasn't a defensive shell. They can be more offensive and play the defensive game, as they did it in Game 2. Why they changed it up in game 3 after the 4-0 lead, I don't know. Maybe TM should of used the time out then and reminding them to play defense and not worry about offense, with it being 4-0 and don't get into a track meet, get the puck deep in the zone. Remind them that just because it seems so easy to get the 4-0 lead, they still need to work hard the rest of the game.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:30 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR28 View Post
I agree that they did get away with what they did to get the 4-0 lead, once they pulled Niemi. After that they never put any pressure on Nittymacki and he was able to make saves easily. They completely went into a shell, unfortunately it wasn't a defensive shell. They can be more offensive and play the defensive game, as they did it in Game 2. Why they changed it up in game 3 after the 4-0 lead, I don't know. Maybe TM should of used the time out then and reminding them to play defense and not worry about offense, with it being 4-0 and don't get into a track meet, get the puck deep in the zone.
Game 2 wasn't an offensive show as much as it was a defensive show that allowed us to capitalize.

It was much more of a counter-attack, than run n gun, and that is the Kings game.

Yes it was 4-0, but the total score doesn't tell you how the game went.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Lost in all this bickering/complaining, is the fact that the team has actually played pretty well. They've shown that they can more than compete with the Sharks, and I think that's what makes this series frustrating for Kings' fans.

The problem has obviously been defensive break downs, particularly on home ice. It's not a systemic problem, but a mental one. Can TM be blamed for that? I suppose there's a train of thought that says he can, but I'm yet to hear it.
I agree. But you have to wonder, because this is two years running now where we start a series off in a very nice fashion...then crumble as the other team makes adjustments and we fail to. It doesn't take a 50-year-veteran of hockey to notice the Sharks hitting the trailers and trying the high tip play all day every day, similar to what the Sedins were pulling off last year.

I can't name every specific instance of something happening, but aside from the line decisions, I feel like TM has been outcoached by two middle-of-the-pack coaches. I think Vigneault and Todd are solid coaches, but they're no Scotty Bowman.

But I think what you're saying boils down to this: are the players recognizing the holes in the system that are being exploited and getting away from it in an effort to stop the plays? Or are they just getting away from the system for the heck of it? If it's the former, it's a sign of bad coaching, as TM isn't making adjustments on the fly to take away from this. If it's the latter, it's fully on the players (the reality is likely somewhere between, i dunno).

Either way, someone mentioned in another thread that TM is a great general, but a bad colonel. Thought it was a GREAT analogy.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

I'm here tonight let's do this.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Orenji

Kings desperately have to score first. If they do, they can play their game. If they let in the first goal, we'll probably see a repeat of last game or Game 5 last year in Vancouver.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM
JR28

Quote:
Game 2 wasn't an offensive show as much as it was a defensive show that allowed us to capitalize.

It was much more of a counter-attack, than run n gun, and that is the Kings game.

Yes it was 4-0, but the total score doesn't tell you how the game went.
The fact that the Kings have scored 3, 4, 5 goals in three games make it seem like they are more offensive, since how many times this season, even with Kopitar did they score more then 2? I agree that they can't run and gun as they don't have the speed or skill to do that, that they need to work hard for there goals, cycle, look for mistakes, etc.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Yo Zad ...

+1

Old
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
sjmay*

Here we go, Healy just opened the flood gates, he said that if Phoenix moves, they will ask Doan if he wants to go, if not, he could end up in a place like LA..

Ready..rumour mongers go! lol

Old
04-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Kings desperately have to score first. If they do, they can play their game. If they let in the first goal, we'll probably see a repeat of last game or Game 5 last year in Vancouver.
I think they need to score the first 7 goals to have a chance.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Here we go, Healy just opened the flood gates, he said that if Phoenix moves, they will ask Doan if he wants to go, if not, he could end up in a place like LA..

haha

You know... one more year at 4.5 M for a leadership guy who gets 55-60+ pts a year with a physical game? Not all that bad an idea.

Would be sad if he doesn't end his career with the Jets/Yotes.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I'd take Doan in an instant. It would stack up our top nine that's for sure.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
haha

You know... one more year at 4.5 M for a leadership guy who gets 55-60+ pts a year with a physical game? Not all that bad an idea.

Would be sad if he doesn't end his career with the Jets/Yotes.
Not a bad idea......just...it opens up the gate for ridiculous rumors, I wouldn't mind having Doan, but at what price, what hole do you open to get him?

Old
04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

They give a reason for LA or just threw it out there?

Old
04-23-2011, 08:02 PM
JR28

For the Kings to win Doughty and Johnson need to come up huge, like in game 2. Doughty especially needs to be a force. As our top defensive player and best player now, with Kopi out, he needs to step up big time.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Our faces are drawn.

We are not smiling

We have a snarl about us

we have business to take care of

we come to win.

we will grant no mercy and ask no quarter.

we are THE KINGS and KING FANS

we are loud and in your face

YOU WILL HEAR US.

Go KINGS GO!!!

Go KINGS GO!!!

Go KINGS GO!!!

Go KINGS GO!!!

Go KINGS GO!!!

Old
04-23-2011, 08:03 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
They give a reason for LA or just threw it out there?
Just threw it out there, I am assuming, proximity to Phoenix, similar sunny disposition of the fans etc heh

Old
04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

The rest of this Montreal v. Boston game is going to be fun.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Not a bad idea......just...it opens up the gate for ridiculous rumors, I wouldn't mind having Doan, but at what price, what hole do you open to get him?
If it's secondary prospects and picks... sure. No actual young NHL player. Just like with Penner.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

The first positive of having Doan is he will no longer score goals against us

Old
04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
kingfansince1967

Quote:
Just threw it out there, I am assuming, proximity to Phoenix, similar sunny disposition of the fans etc heh
But I found Pierre Lebrun's comment much more interesting and ... realistic. He mentioned that come training camp the Kings will have a goalie battle of the likes of Halak-Price.

Tonite is the last time Quick will act as goalie #1. Next year it's Bernier time! (and hope that TM is dumped but it most likely will not happen...)

Old
04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
JR28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfansince1967 View Post
But I found Pierre Lebrun's comment much more interesting and ... realistic. He mentioned that come training camp the Kings will have a goalie battle of the likes of Halak-Price.

Tonite is the last time Quick will act as goalie #1. Next year it's Bernier time! (and hope that TM is dumped but it most likely will not happen...)
While I agree there will be a battle for the #1 and the Kings are going to need to decide which to keep in the next year or 2. However Quick will be the #1 until further notice. Bernier could steal it in training camp or during the season, whether by bad play by Quick or injury. He also could get it if his play warrants it. I really don't think Quick will lose it based on these playoffs, he has been really good last 2 seasons sans playoffs. Although this years playoffs isn't totally his fault.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
...looking at recent history, he won't score for the Kings either.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Right? That'll shave 10 GA per year.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

One hour. Cant wait

Old
04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
JR28

Game time is almost here. Time to get PUMPED UP......Let's get a HELLLLLLLL YEAAAAAAAAA

GO KINGS GO

GO KINGS GO

GO KINGS GO

GO KINGS GO

Closed Thread