HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flyers chances?

Old
04-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Maximrules

vCash: 500
Flyers chances?

We all know what they did last year against Boston. I'm interested in non-biased opinions....preferably from neither sabres/flyers fans.

Will they come back?

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
RBR

vCash: 50
They have a possibility but they need Pronger back or at least Carter. Their goaltending situation isn't looking good. Either they gave up on Bob too soon and ruined his confidence or it was already ruined. I have no faith in Boucher or Leighton. For the Flyers to win, it would have to be in spite of their goalie at this point.

I'd say the Sabres' chances are looking good but, with a team that has so much firepower and strong playoff players in guys like Giroux and Briere, nothing is certain.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:04 PM
JSBach

Against Ryan Miller? I personally don't like their chances, but who knows?

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:05 PM
ronnyweed

with pronger maybe, no pronger no chance

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
They need Pronger to have a chance. Also, this year it's not a rookie goaltender, it's Miller. He can rebound from bad goals.

They really need to get in front of the net and piss him off to win. Otherwise..

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
When the Flyers lost Pronger, they lost their season. You can't play those 3 goalies without Pronger and expect to go very far. I though they'd be eliminated in the 1st round and at this point, I expect it to end in game 6. They'll have to blow up half the roster to sign Vokoun or Bryzgalov, and they'll either go ahead and do that or keep getting knocked out in the playoffs. It's not a good mix of playeres. Talented, yes, but not Cup worthy. Lots of work to do. I think they need a new coach and a new GM as well.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

I don't trust any of those three goalies to steal two wins for them.

Philly has a great, high-powered offense, but Miller has been on his game. I don't think it's impossible that the Flyers come back, and I don't think the odds are completely slim, but I'd definitely put the odds at 75% of the Sabres closing this one out.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Giroux, Briere, Richards, Hartnell, Leino, vanRiemsdyk, Zherdev, Timmonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros... They're still a stacked team. All they have to do is win 2 games in a row.

I guarantee Boucher or Leighton (whoever starts in the next game) will step their game up. They did it last year.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:08 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
Giroux, Briere, Richards, Hartnell, Leino, vanRiemsdyk, Zherdev, Timmonen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros... They're still a stacked team. All they have to do is win 2 games in a row.

I guarantee Boucher or Leighton (whoever starts in the next game) will step their game up. They did it last year.
im not biased but i had to comment based on all the no pronger no shot comments. the flyers have to win two times in a series where they have carried the play. miller was great in one game in the others he was just normal. 1/5 games playing great is not something that you can say he is on top of his game. I think sabres fans would agree. The sabres scored three weak goals last game, something that hasnt happened up to that one period, no reason to think that it will continue into the next game. If not for that first bad goal im pretty sure we would have ran the table, evident by the way the second was played. Last time we were facing elimination going to buffalo we got blown out 8-1 so who knows but im thinking this is not over

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
im not biased but i had to comment...

the flyers have to win two times in a series where they have carried the play...

If not for that first bad goal im pretty sure we would have ran the table
Yep. Not biased at all.

Especially the part where you start referring to the Flyers team as "we." That's a clear sign of impartiality.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:58 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
BS, its been 5 1 goal games.

Win game 6 and its back to Philly for game 7. This series is far far from over

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:06 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

No, I think they lose Game 6 in Buffalo. That team is really missing Chris Pronger right now.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

I think Buffalo takes it. Philly would have to play the rest of the series like they did in the 3rd period last game to have a chance. Miller will be the deciding facto in this series, IMO.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
fing0rz

Quote:
miller was great in one game in the others he was just normal.

stopped reading there, you clearly have not watched the games.

unless you consider his "just normal" being amazing.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
im not biased but i had to comment based on all the no pronger no shot comments. the flyers have to win two times in a series where they have carried the play. miller was great in one game in the others he was just normal. 1/5 games playing great is not something that you can say he is on top of his game. I think sabres fans would agree. The sabres scored three weak goals last game, something that hasnt happened up to that one period, no reason to think that it will continue into the next game. If not for that first bad goal im pretty sure we would have ran the table, evident by the way the second was played. Last time we were facing elimination going to buffalo we got blown out 8-1 so who knows but im thinking this is not over
I must say, if you have to resort to hypotheticals, that says something...that reality is painting a different picture.

And besides, two can play at that game. If the ref had called the glove pass before the first Philly goal, Philly wouldn't have had any momentum and the Sabres would have blown them out of the water. The Flyers were lucky to even be in that game.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
still life

Here's how I look at it. If the games were decided by pure chance, the Flyers would have a 25% of winning the series. Honestly, I think our chances are a bit better than random chance of winning, because this team seems to play better with their backs against the wall. And all 3 losses have been by only one goal. But at the same time I wouldn't bet on it happening, so I'd say its less than 50%. I'll give the Flyers maybe a 40% chance of winning the series.

still life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
ct2111

Quote:
So basically you're saying that the Flyers have been the better team, that Miller has been pretty average and that the only reason Philly is down is because of their goalies. And then you ask Sabres fans to agree. Nope, not biased at all.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:11 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Always a chance. Have to wonder what kind of confidence they have in any goalie and wonder what kind of questions around the goaltending will do to the team. That said getting back Carter or Pronger would help esp since the Sabres will be without Pominville.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Always a chance. Have to wonder what kind of confidence they have in any goalie and wonder what kind of questions around the goaltending will do to the team. That said getting back Carter or Pronger would help esp since the Sabres will be without Pominville.
Carter and Pronger are done for the series.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Yes it is likely that the period of time when the Sabres got complacent and stopped competing due to having a 3-0 lead is a clear indicator of how the game would have played out if the score were closer throughout. Not only that but its a clear indicator of how the rest of the series will go! Makes perfect sense.

Never mind that as soon as the game was tied again the Sabres had the equal or better of the play from there on out.

SoFFacet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Carter and Pronger are done for the series.
I saw that Carter seemed doubtful and Pronger was practicing but didn't seem happy, but considering it's the playoffs, I won't write off anything just yet. Hell, I wouldn't even be shocked if they lied and Pominville played

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:26 PM
revolverjgw

There's always a chance, but the Flyers are a neutered team without Pronger. I can't see them coming back.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Ozz

While I hope not, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Robert Theodorson

The Sabres need to close this out tomorrow at home, if it goes back to Philly I think it goes to the Flyers. A 75% Chris Pronger is a better playoff defensemen than most on either team.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Maximrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
The Sabres need to close this out tomorrow at home, if it goes back to Philly I think it goes to the Flyers. A 75% Chris Pronger is a better playoff defensemen than most on either team.
The Sabres are better on the road first of all, the road team has been much better than the home team all series. And why do people this series hangs on the stick of pronger? Philly's defense is fine. He's not exactly an offensive firepower, it's the goaltending that people should worry about in philly. If they get another performance like last night from boucher, they're done.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote