HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF|Series Talk|#1 Capitals vs. #5 Lightning

Old
04-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Bananas

vCash: 500
The fact that no one scares me scares me.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
The fact that no one scares me scares me.
I understand what you mean but all series long we were wondering what did they learn from last years debacle. This year they didn't waste time and did the work to close out the series. Now, will they learn to do the work every game to keep the series short so they can rest? If they have, then were are right to not fear any possible opponent. Respect yes but no fear.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

All the teams remaining are pretty good and it won't be a cakewalk. The series might go 6 or 7 games.

Would love to see another Pitt-Washington series just to get "that monkey" off their back and really show that this team is for real.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

My preference:

1 Sabres - Easiest out and history on our side not that it means anything.
2 Canadiens - Revenge, *****es!
3 Pens - Scares me the most just because of some damn curse or something, but if we can't take em this year we'll never beat em, so might as well go through the Burgh.

I can't see the Bolts winning out. Rollie looks completely beatable right now. He was shaky even in the win today.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:51 PM
The Viking Fury

Ill take rest over no rest any time, but I hope the layoff doesn't do any harm.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 10:54 PM
EroCaps

Still won't wish for an opponent, just want the Old Nicky back. They'll be much better then.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
The big risk is Neuvirth. A week off basically nullifies at least part of the momentum he's built.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Still won't wish for an opponent, just want the Old Nicky back. They'll be much better then.
The old Nicky and a healthy Knuble and Wideman would be flat out scary for the opposition.

Put me in the camp that doesn't care who we see.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Some guys are banged up. So getting an extra couple of days is a good thing, especially with the other potential opponents all still knocking heads with each other.

I also could care less who the next opponent is. There's some challenges but none of them are scary or unbeatable.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:14 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the flyers have not been right for 3 months. i sort of see them dying. but i would not be surprised to see them get it together and win. that would likely mean penguins in the 2nd round.
The Flyers goaltending is so bad right now I dont give them ANY chance of winning two straight vs Miller and Buffalo. None. Despite the talent on that team, the lack of even average goaltending is killing the confidence of the team as a whole. I think they should be done tommorow.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
All the teams remaining are pretty good and it won't be a cakewalk. The series might go 6 or 7 games.

Would love to see another Pitt-Washington series just to get "that monkey" off their back and really show that this team is for real.
See, I look at a Pens series exactly the opposite way. Seems to me like a no win (assuming Crosby doesn't decide to play). If we beat them, it's "So what, you did it without 87 and 71." If we lose, it's utter humiliation.

Yeah, I'll take the Pens if they're objectively the best matchup for us. And that might be the case. But I see no upside to the matchup from a franchise history/future-of-the-rivalry perspective.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
Bring on the Kernadians. Then the Pens with Crosby.
That's just crazy. Why would you tempt fate like that, especially when the stars seem aligned in the Caps' favor right now?

Goal #1 is to win the franchise's first cup. Then we can talk about revenge for this or that.

As for round 2, give me Buffalo, no question.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:19 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Interesting note: If the Kings' 2-goal lead holds up in San Jose, there will have been 4 different teams who came home for Game 5 with a 3-1 series lead looking to close things out, and 3 of them (VAN, PIT, SJS) will have lost. We're the only team ones in the winner's column.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:24 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFountainhead View Post
The old Nicky and a healthy Knuble and Wideman would be flat out scary for the opposition.

Put me in the camp that doesn't care who we see.
Scary...and necessary if they want the Big Silver Chalice. Wideman sounds healthier than Knuble. I'm more interested in Backstrom than either of those two, though. 1 pt in 5 games and fairly weak in spots is not him. He's a dominant 1st line C if healthy and they'll need it.

Luckily for them, Johansson is a ****ing player.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:29 PM
sycamore

Ah enough this specualtion, we all know who we are going to get: Buffalo in the next round, the Bruins in the round after that. You can bet the farm on it

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
See, I look at a Pens series exactly the opposite way. Seems to me like a no win (assuming Crosby doesn't decide to play). If we beat them, it's "So what, you did it without 87 and 71." If we lose, it's utter humiliation.

Yeah, I'll take the Pens if they're objectively the best matchup for us. And that might be the case. But I see no upside to the matchup from a franchise history/future-of-the-rivalry perspective.
Franchise history means nothing. Same thing as the media trolls who kept rolling out the "Caps have blown x number of 2-0 leads". Most of those were years and years ago. Same with the Penguin series. These two teams have essentially met once, and it was a 7-game series. What happened in the 90s bears nothing on this Caps team.

This years Caps team has matched up very well with Pitt. Even with 87 & 71 in there for two of the four games, Pitt scored a grand total of three goals against the Caps. The Caps will not only be supercharged to play that series, they won't be intimidated one bit, even if 87 comes back. And really, who cares if those two guys don't play and there's whining if we beat them. Screw em. Caps have done very well vs. them even with those guys playing.

All that being said, Pittsburgh is still in their series anyway. They fail to show up on Monday, like they didn't today or in Game 2, and they're in trouble. Personally I think Philly is on the ropes and Buffalo will be the next matchup, but we'll see what happens.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:25 AM
sillygoose

anyone else notice BB said green took 3 headshots this season? or implied he had 3 concussions, and he wasn't talking about tonight? it was in the post game press conference, does anyone remember a 3rd(or 1st) headshot he had this year?

sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:30 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Give me Buffalo, so I don't have to worry about whether Philly turns it on when Pronger returns.

Then Boston, so I can go to a game or two.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:06 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
first i want to give the caps credit for winning in 5. its the first clear success over the run and gun type, i must say i thought they would go for the seven again.

BUT as a long time bruce hater i still think he is the reason that will prevent the caps for archiving the ultimate goal. i hope he will learn one or two things as the playoffs move on, the first round our little attention ***** learned to shut his mount or at least keeping it quiet.

as for the next opponent, i think a more offensive team would be alright, just for mixing it up and keep the players steady.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:08 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2743
I want to see... all our potential opponents go on a head hunting, shot blocking, crosschecking slashing spearing board and charging 7 game battle royal clinic and soften up who we end up playing, I want a team limping into Verizon heh.

Tis a rare thing to sit back heal ourselves and watch our opponents still have to battle.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 07:59 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I don't think gloves is a Caps fan any more.

Anyway, a Sabres series is fine with me. They are more talented offensively than NYR, equal in goaltending, but I don't think much of their defense.
Did someone flood the market with an insane amount of caps gear on eBay!?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
Ah enough this specualtion, we all know who we are going to get: Buffalo in the next round, the Bruins in the round after that. You can bet the farm on it
After last year are you sure you want to make guarantees in the playoffs?

I just watched the Semin goal again from yesterday and I will make a guarantee. Mojo is going to be insane good. what a frickin pass.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Funkyalligator

Is that puck still in the air when semin puts it into the net? I seriously don't think the puck ever touches the ice from when mojo passes to semin and it hits the back of the net.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
WcRoenick97

Rangers prepared us well for the Sabres/Habs. Bring on the Sabres.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Ovys Missing Tooth

So who's everyone rooting for in today's Buffalo-Philly game? Do we want Buffalo to win so we know get them? Do we want Philly to ensure the series goes 7 games? Ideally, of course, we want Buffalo to win a 7 game series. But which do we want more -- Buffalo or 7 games? I think I'm rooting for Buffalo because it would be viscerally ... err ... unpleasant to root for Philly, and I don't have that same reaction to rooting for Buffalo.

Ovys Missing Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote