HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching Discussion

Old
04-26-2011, 12:52 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
A few points, a PP carrying over to the next period, absolutely sucks balls!, fresh sheet of ice, yes, but it takes 30sec to a minute just to get back into the flow it, I've always hated the late PPs that split into two periods.
You might have a point if it was a 2 min PP that was split between periods, but the Kings had 3:23 in the 3rd period and 1:37 in OT - more than enough time in either period to set up and score.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan2008 View Post
Dealt with a severe injury to arguably their best player
I appreciate the outside perspective, but did the Kings really "deal" with the loss of Kopitar? They backed into the playoffs and put up a spirited defense against the Sharks without him, but the Kings never missed Kopitar more than they did with that five-minute major. At crunch time, with the game, the series, and the season on the line, his absence was conspicuous. I don't think that they dealt with it, although it's probably too much to ask any team to maintain their level of play without their best all-around player.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

I'm pretty sure the Kings will retain all of their existing coaching staff. I think TM's comments during the post game interview last night was telling on the Kings view point that the lack of success on the PP was a result of having young players who were inexperienced at the NHL level (i.e., Doughty & Johnson) struggling with the man advantage. And I agree, that it was a major contributor to the lack of success on the PP. But the coaching staff showed themselves as either unable to find ways to give the Kings other options on the PP or too inflexible with the system.

The problem I have with the Kings message to date is that the system is fine and the players need to be better at executing it. The system is predicated the a "one look" option of Point Shot + Bodies in Front of the Net Going for a Rebound. It's worked at times, and is a good approach. But it can't be the only approach.

Going into next season with the same PP system (and talent mix) is going to be an issue. If the Kings don't mix some new looks into the repertoire (like more back door plays, or a forward backing off into a soft spot in the slot), then teams will just continue to key off on the point men, which won't do any favors for Doughty's & Johnson's development.

And DL has to find a solid 4-6 spot forward who can hold onto the puck in the offensive zone and buy time for his PP linemates to move into a position to get open for a passing play. People have mentioned Tanguay, and I like his speed and think the Kings could get him at a nice price point. I also like Vinny Prospal as an option, because while he doesn't bring the speed of Tanguay, he is a bigger player, does well on the cycle and would fit more easily into the Kings game 5 on 5.

So let's see what the summer brings. My expectations for the Kings are that they take the time to design ways to increase the PP effectiveness with the roster they have, re-sign all key RFAs to reasonable contracts before camp starts, sign a FA 4-6 spot offensive forward, and find a way to start the season with one of Schenn or Loktionov in a top 6 role.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Agree with what you wrote and well written. But, did I read that right? "They absolutely HAVE to be able to switch it to a down low cycle..." Cycle? I thought there was no such thing as a cycle on the PP? I am ****ing with you, don't take it too seriously.

The end result was all but predestined when we didn't score on the 5 minute major, which ironically didn't even think should have been a major.

You could write a script to these things in hockey.
LMAO, got me there, honestly, not sure if cycle was the right word, but it fit at the time.

They have to be able to attack from the corners, no defense is gonna chase you in the corner, so they have to be able to walk it along the goal line, get the D to commit, then have the F3, the high guy just crash through the middle of the box, feed it to him, or F2 who is on the back door, or the strong side D who shifted down to the hash marks,

As far as the major, absolutely and twice on Sundays that was the right call...distance traveled was just, idiotic, if he had swung low and gotten body position and rode him out, GREAT play, but to hit him direct on that is gonna be called every time.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:25 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
You might have a point if it was a 2 min PP that was split between periods, but the Kings had 3:23 in the 3rd period and 1:37 in OT - more than enough time in either period to set up and score.
3:23 was their window, when they didn't get it done there, I knew it wasn't gonna happen in the 1:37,

Old
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Murray will be back next season, but he is now 1-5 at home in the playoffs (including the last 5 in a row). 1-4 in OT, Kopitar with the only winner.

If the Kings struggle out of the gate next season, Murray could be gone by Christmas. The Kings must be in a playoff position from October thru April next year, next season is the beginning of the end for the "youth" excuse.

sjmay, I thought of you when Demers scored from the weak side, back door play while 5-on-5. Didn't you say that nobody does that?

The Kings did get 7 points in the playoffs and SJ only got 8.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
3:23 was their window, when they didn't get it done there, I knew it wasn't gonna happen in the 1:37,
Funny, I knew they wouldn't get it done when they got the 5 minute PP.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Murray will be back next season, but he is now 1-5 at home in the playoffs (including the last 5 in a row). 1-4 in OT, Kopitar with the only winner.

If the Kings struggle out of the gate next season, Murray could be gone by Christmas. The Kings must be in a playoff position from October thru April next year, next season is the beginning of the end for the "youth" excuse.

sjmay, I thought of you when Demers scored from the weak side, back door play while 5-on-5. Didn't you say that nobody does that?

The Kings did get 7 points in the playoffs and SJ only got 8.
LOL I thought of you too, and went oh crap, he's gonna try and nail me on that one.

No one does that if the coverage is there, Parse blew that coverage like a 2 dollar hooker, that's why he didn't see the ice the rest of the game...

It was a nice read by whoever passed it to notice that Parse was looking at the blonde in the 3rd row, and a nice read by Demers.

If that's well, Westgarth, that pass doesn't get made...

BTW, that wasn't a weak side pass to the hashmarks, that was a weakside pass to 5 feet above the circle, huge difference

Old
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Funny, I knew they wouldn't get it done when they got the 5 minute PP.
LOL I was hoping for a 3rd PP goal in the game, a garbage goal, but hell, If I was a Kings D, I aim for the guy standing off to the side, and put it in off his nuts...and yes, I've done that before, buddy wouldn't talk to me for a month...

Old
04-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
LMAO, got me there, honestly, not sure if cycle was the right word, but it fit at the time.

They have to be able to attack from the corners, no defense is gonna chase you in the corner, so they have to be able to walk it along the goal line, get the D to commit, then have the F3, the high guy just crash through the middle of the box, feed it to him, or F2 who is on the back door, or the strong side D who shifted down to the hash marks,

As far as the major, absolutely and twice on Sundays that was the right call...distance traveled was just, idiotic, if he had swung low and gotten body position and rode him out, GREAT play, but to hit him direct on that is gonna be called every time.
Cycle is the right word

Your second paragraph nails it.

I still think the major could have reasonably gone either way. Richardson looked to be down low and, while their player left his feet, it was minimal. Agree 100% though about the distance traveled. He had Brad lined up. That wasn't a hit to separate Richardson from the puck. That was a hit designed to knock him silly.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I asked Bernstein if he thought we'd fire Kompon and he tweeted me back saying:

Quote:
Murray's a very loyal guy. Maybe take away PP responsbility if not fire RT @azizk47: @The4thPeriodDB Any chance Kompon gets fired?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I asked Bernstein if he thought we'd fire Kompon and he tweeted me back saying:
Who is RT ????? JK has to be fired

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Even though I'm not cray about him, I can see TM sticking around. However Kompon's rancid PP literally ended our season. It would be pretty incredible if he still has his job next season.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Firing Murray after what he's accomplished over the last 2 years would be a slap in the face.
And what exactly did he accomplish ?????
two times 1st round bail out.
One of the worst PP in the league. 1 way hockey.
Chasing talented players away. Not having the ability to see talent.

did i miss something ????????

And No... there is no trophy for 40+ wins even if it happens 2 times.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

Did you miss something? Yea, everything....but that's normal for you.

He developed Kopitar into one of the best two way players in the game, he developed Johnson, he developed Clifford, he developed Martinez, he developed Lewis, I can keep going if you want.

Did those players have talent before, of course, they wouldn't have made it without talent and hard work. Murray focused them, there is a reason why Clifford, Martinez, and Lewis played the entire season as ROOKIES and were able to be effective.

There are no awards for back to back 40 win seasons, I agree, name me the last Kings coach that had that with as young a team, ready, go!

Chasing talented players away, who exactly did he, chase away?

Old
04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

Just to put the 40 win season in perspective, the NHL average for wins this season was 41. Nineteen teams has 40 or more wins...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... There are seven Kings head coaches who have spent at least three seasons with the team. Here's how their records compare for their first three years only.

And for all of you who want to go "hurrrr shootout wins Murray is a Hall of Fame coach", good for you. I'm not buying. If he led the team to a tie after 65 minutes, that counts as a tie. Just because he won a coin flip or whatever after that doesn't make him a better head coach.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I love people who assume, yet can't do the simple task of reading where a poster is from.

I live in Manitoba and frequent Winnipeg regularly as well as having family in the city. I've also attended games at the MTS Centre for the Manitoba Moose so I'm very familiar with what the arena and surrounding landscape can provide for the team and the fans.

So no, the question doesn't answer itself. Winnipeg is a lovely hockey city, just gets quite cold in the winter.

Dumb@$$ comments like these are why the rest of the hockey world thinks Kings fans know zilch about hockey. Sometimes I don't blame them for thinking that.
I saw where you were from, and the post should have resonated evven more clearly with you than most. It may be a great place to be a fan of hockey, maybe even beautiful as well. IT IS BOTH.

But its in the middle of nowhere and its not just cold, its butt**** cold as hell from late fall to early spring. You think Tippet wants to move from the climate of Phoenix to that? Rumor (and its just that at this point -- and NO you cant have the details) has it that he'd like to be in LA, but that would be difficult given the current coaching opportunities and lack of vacancies here.

Quote:
This touches on the more important question - Is TM the coach that has the ability to take this team to the next level?

IMO, no
IMO he isnt either, and the sooner we find who is, the better off the team, and its chances, will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I don't see an argument why he should be kept as a coach. 5 minute major, carried over to a fresh sheet of ice in OT, still 2 stationary point men who do not have shots capable of making it to the net without a CLEAR lane that doesn't exist in the NHL anymore. Absolutely zero change on the strategy the entire season despite the fact that you have 3 dmen capable of attacking the back door. Kompon has to be fired and Murray has to be talked to Lombardi to ease the offensive restrictions. Like most have said I understand the system and what it's meant to do but there are times of the game where you need to change it up on the other team and the coach. The Kings have to be incredibly easy to coach against, that needs to be changed.

Quote:

There were alot of those goals (D men sliding down getting cross ice pases) in the playoffs. But thats too risky to do according to some posters.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Gretzky has been looming around the NHL, and in particular, the Kings since his firing. With Lombardi pushing to get him in the organization, it is a little scary to think what dominoes might fall if he gets his foot in the door. I have to admit, at this stage, I wouldn't mind too much if Wayne had a hand in advising the team, or even giving some tips on the powerplay, but on the other, you know exactly what that puts him in line to potentially be in this organization, and I don't know if I want to give Leiweke the temptation....

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I know many want Kompon gone, but I think reassigning him to be a video coach might be a better role for him, he had experience in that role prior to the Kings hiring him as he was a video coach with the Blues. He can be that "eye in the sky" that the Kings had with Ray Bennett when Andy Murray was coaching here.

The Kings need a creative coach who has a heavy emphasis on puck movement and breakouts. Many of us consider the Kings to be a slow team, and I think a reason why they appear so slow is due to their stop and go movement and reliance to keep the play along the boards.

If they shifted their strategy with constant puck movement and short passing plays and give-and-goes, it'll lead to more movement and more of an appearance of a quicker team. The Kings do have players who can shift around the ice, but their system restricts them from using their speed.

I'd like to see the Kings promote Nelson Emerson to be that coach.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Duc620

Breakouts seemed to be pretty good in this series. Finishing was another story.

If you're talking about PP setups? Sure, that needs work. We can argue and compare this year to last year's. In my mind, the Canucks clearly disrespected the Kings last year and very nearly paid the price. No one did that this year. So the PP was tougher to execute. With the same number of crazy bounces and tight hands....

But give some credit to other NHL players on the opposing teams. None of these guys or teams are pushovers. There are guys playing against us - even on statistically poor teams - who are excellent players and tough to play against. Much less be easy to beat to the same place on the ice that kids have been fighting for since they were 10.

It's not like there is some secret magical play book or system out there. Players still have to execute, under pressure, over and over.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
With all my complaining about TM I can see the logic in what you are saying and am not completely on the other side of the fence in some ways. I am waiting until the end of the playoffs to discuss it but you are one of the people I look forward to debating the merits of what we should do about our coaching situation.

I am not someone who is bored with our defencive system at all or the Power Play because I see these two things as being effected by a third and more significant set of problems.

It should be a fun debate and I am looking forward to it.
Hey TG, I just caught this.... Any chance you're writing about "flexibility and willingness to adjust in a changing environment"!?!

Or do you see some depth of character issues skating around here? Cheers!

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I know many want Kompon gone, but I think reassigning him to be a video coach might be a better role for him, he had experience in that role prior to the Kings hiring him as he was a video coach with the Blues. He can be that "eye in the sky" that the Kings had with Ray Bennett when Andy Murray was coaching here.

The Kings need a creative coach who has a heavy emphasis on puck movement and breakouts. Many of us consider the Kings to be a slow team, and I think a reason why they appear so slow is due to their stop and go movement and reliance to keep the play along the boards.

If they shifted their strategy with constant puck movement and short passing plays and give-and-goes, it'll lead to more movement and more of an appearance of a quicker team. The Kings do have players who can shift around the ice, but their system restricts them from using their speed.

I'd like to see the Kings promote Nelson Emerson to be that coach.
Do the Kings currently have a video coach? Is that Emerson?

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
This touches on the more important question - Is TM the coach that has the ability to take this team to the next level?

IMO, no
It's a good question.

Sometimes the coach who can take a team from bad to good is not the one who can take them from good to great.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I can tell you who isn't our video coach or an advance scout

Alms..........Alms for the poor....

(kidding)

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote