HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Gaborik.

Old
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Well if he was so banged up he should sit out the WC's. My point is still valid he needs some help creating space. I didn't call him worthless. But I still think he'll have a hard time doing it all on his own again next season.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Well if he was so banged up he should sit out the WC's. My point is still valid he needs some help creating space. I didn't call him worthless. But I still think he'll have a hard time doing it all on his own again next season.
why is he playing? i have no idea...but you know as well as all of us diehards that the shot velocity, since that injury, is WAY down. i think it all comes down to National Pride and all that stuff...its why Gabby played in the Olympics when he was injured...he's a gamer, he wants to win, and hes willing to gut it out. the world championships are still a fairly big deal to the euro players.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Gaborik for Brian Campbell

Helps both teams. Do it.
Awful. Straight up awful.

I think some of you guys stopped watching hockey in 2007. Campbell is one of the worst contracts in this league.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post

I think some of you guys stopped watching hockey in 2007. Campbell is one of the worst contracts in this league.
it makes sense to me on a lot of levels actually.

i mean, we can then also go after Gomez, which im sure Montreal would be thrilled with getting rid of, and we can literally have the 4 worst contracts in the NHL all on one roster. Drury, Gomez, Redden and Campbell.

DO IT!

Old
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Badko

Here's my two cents. Get Boogard back into the lineup. I think Gabby plays better when he feels free to buzz around without needing to worry about being abused. I think the fact that the Rangers even allowed that goon from Philly to take a swing at him just sits in the back of his mind.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
I think the fact that the Rangers even allowed that goon from Philly to take a swing at him just sits in the back of his mind.
Wow. There's adding context to things out of left field, then...there's this.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
As far as Hossa is concerned I don't know who thought he was mentally weak that's funny. He's been a gamer for a long time. As far as Jagr goes when the game was on the line you could tell he wanted it. You could just see his focus change and he was a force.
Why wouldn't he "want it" all game? A goal in the beginning of the game means you don't need one "when the game is on the line"

Old
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Why wouldn't he "want it" all game? A goal in the beginning of the game means you don't need one "when the game is on the line"
I guess maybe it wasn't worded right. When I said "wanted it" I was referring to the puck or the proverbial "game on his stick". Jagr wanted to be the guy to win the game.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 04-27-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I guess maybe it wasn't worded right. When I said "wanted it" I was referring to the puck or the proverbial "game on his stick". Jagr wanted to be the guy to win the game.
and what are you basing this off of man? i mean, are we talking about shootouts? because jagr didnt want to take shootouts either. Gabby played probably his best hockey of the season in the playoffs. he was very very good. i thought he looked hungrier than any other player out there for us truth be told.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Trade for Gomez?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
why is he playing? i have no idea...but you know as well as all of us diehards that the shot velocity, since that injury, is WAY down. i think it all comes down to National Pride and all that stuff...its why Gabby played in the Olympics when he was injured...he's a gamer, he wants to win, and hes willing to gut it out. the world championships are still a fairly big deal to the euro players.
He might want to win. But he's not a gamer and he is not willing to gut it out. Unless your definition of gamer of someone who just goes out there and skates around for 20 minutes. Gaborik will never get dirty and play playoff hockey. Never.

Quote:
and what are you basing this off of man? i mean, are we talking about shootouts? because jagr didnt want to take shootouts either. Gabby played probably his best hockey of the season in the playoffs. he was very very good. i thought he looked hungrier than any other player out there for us truth be told.
He's an elite sniper getting paid elite money and he nets one goal when Washington forgot about him, not to mention the only goal in his last 16 games when the Rangers desperately needed points. We have different expectations for Gaborik.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
He might want to win. But he's not a gamer and he is not willing to gut it out. Unless your definition of gamer of someone who just goes out there and skates around for 20 minutes. Gaborik will never get dirty and play playoff hockey. Never.
Again, vague nothingness. "he's not a gamer" "won't gut it out" blah blah blah. Fine. Prust should be our 1st line right wing b/c he's such a gamer that guts it out.

Also, is there a difference b/w playoff hockey and regular season hockey? Yes. It is nearly as pronounced as some people seem to think? NO WAY. You would think they switch to another sport for the playoffs the way some people describe it.

Old
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
We have an injury prone, big contract player, who floats around, doesnt fit the system we play, didnt show up in the playoffs or down the stretch, who in all likelihood will only break down even more as time goes by.
I can see GMs lining up with offers...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:01 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
Here's my two cents. Get Boogard back into the lineup. I think Gabby plays better when he feels free to buzz around without needing to worry about being abused. I think the fact that the Rangers even allowed that goon from Philly to take a swing at him just sits in the back of his mind.
he got crushed in Toronto with Boogard in the line-up.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
Again, vague nothingness. "he's not a gamer" "won't gut it out" blah blah blah. Fine. Prust should be our 1st line right wing b/c he's such a gamer that guts it out.
Prust is not an elite sniper paid $7+mil. I get what you are saying - just throwing out a hard working guy. But Prusts job is bang bodies. Gaborik's job is create offense on an elite level. He didn't do that. Gaborik poses no threat.

It's vague nothingness right now because we are two people who think we know the answers (I do, anyway ), but I believe we will learn more about the Rangers real opinion of Gaborik as we get nearer the draft.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Stepanformayor*

Just my 2 cents again fella's, and if someone has already brought it up, i appologize for bringing it up again.
I'm just trying to understand how people can still call this guy an "elite" player in this league? I can name 20-30 players right off the top of my head that i would rather have.
I heard a stat a while back that said something like, in 16-17 playoff games since 2003 Gabby in his career has like 7 points.. 4 goals 3assists. Now i realize he's probably missed the playoffs more than he's made them, but i personally don't call that "elite".
Yes he had a fantastic year last year.. No question. It's easy to say he was hurt this year, but i'm not buying it. I just don't really believe he was EVER an "elite player in this league. There is a difference from "Having a good year or 2"(which he did here and in Minny) and sustaining that over several year's to be labeled as "elite"
IMO I'll bet you he doesn't see 25 goal's a year again in his career in any given year. I really think, and only time will tell, that he is a player that got by on his speed and his shot and now that he's lost some speed and velosity, he's just another player. Can anyone think of a pass all year this guy made to one of his teamates that you would label "sick" or "beautiful"? I really can't, at least in the games i saw and I saw quite a few..
Again if he stay's a Ranger i hope i'm wrong, but a huge part of me hopes Sather see's what i see and get's rid of him now while he still can.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Just my 2 cents again fella's, and if someone has already brought it up, i appologize for bringing it up again.
I'm just trying to understand how people can still call this guy an "elite" player in this league? I can name 20-30 players right off the top of my head that i would rather have.
I heard a stat a while back that said something like, in 16-17 playoff games since 2003 Gabby in his career has like 7 points.. 4 goals 3assists. Now i realize he's probably missed the playoffs more than he's made them, but i personally don't call that "elite".
Yes he had a fantastic year last year.. No question. It's easy to say he was hurt this year, but i'm not buying it. I just don't really believe he was EVER an "elite player in this league. There is a difference from "Having a good year or 2"(which he did here and in Minny) and sustaining that over several year's to be labeled as "elite"
IMO I'll bet you he doesn't see 25 goal's a year again in his career in any given year. I really think, and only time will tell, that he is a player that got by on his speed and his shot and now that he's lost some speed and velosity, he's just another player. Can anyone think of a pass all year this guy made to one of his teamates that you would label "sick" or "beautiful"? I really can't, at least in the games i saw and I saw quite a few..
Again if he stay's a Ranger i hope i'm wrong, but a huge part of me hopes Sather see's what i see and get's rid of him now while he still can.
wow what a prediction, some1 is mad

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Fataldogg

People need to stop freaking out. It is one off season. People seem to forget the 42-goals and 86-points he scored for the team last season. He is top-5 in the NHL since the lockout in GPG for a reason. Don't let one off season, where he virtually outscored every player on our team, sway your opinion. Off years happen.

Lundqvist will probably have one at some point in time too. EVERYONE does. Will we say "lets get rid of him!" when he does? No, because that makes no sense. I'll be the first to say that I was displeased with Gaborik this season but the fact was it was an off year, he doesn't have much support and he played banged up. Give him another chance... Some people are so fickle.

I can already see it, next season he will pot 40+ goals and he will be back into MVP consideration for most Ranger fans (like he was last season).

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
No I'm not talking about the skills competition, Jagr had that hunger and it was more evident to me than Gaborik. But we're comparing apples to oranges here. Jagr could create his own space or just have two guys hang off of him. Gaborik relies a lot on speed and his wicked shot. I don't think he was overly aggressive during the playoffs but agree he did play much better in the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Trade for Gomez?
That'll give us the top line centre we need!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Stepanformayor*

Hey again..Nope not mad at all. Just one man's humble opinion on the Gabby situation.. Doesn't mean i'm right, but i'm tellin' ya i've got a gut feeling Gabby's on the decline..
That doesn't mean i wish him any ill will or anything like that, cause i'm sure he's a great guy, but i for one have seen a real change in his effectivness on the ice and i don't believe for a minute that it is injury related.. I saw too many instances this year where Stepan or AA or Avery etc. set him up or sent him in alone, and he blew it.. Or he couldn't make a play to a teammate. Or his shot was wide or high or got blocked.. That has noting to do with injury's. He's on the decline, he's not a good teamate and IMO needs to be moved.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Ice Hockey

when it was rumored gaborik would come to NY i was the only person i know of on the hf boards who was very concerned and didn't want to do the deal.

that said, i love the way he played down the final stretch. i hope he overcomes his injuries and we can keep him or trade him for someone better.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post

I agree. Gaborik played less games and put up nearly as many goals as Campbell has points. The guys best days are behind him and he still has a hideously large contract. One of the most over-paid players IMO.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
free0717

LA loves Gabby. How about Gabby for Jack Johnson. I will even throw in our 1st rd pick this year.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
LA loves Gabby. How about Gabby for Jack Johnson. I will even throw in our 1st rd pick this year.
Drool, JJ.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote