HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NJ and the Leafs

Old
04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Yeah because 13 goals and 44 points in 82 games is so irreplaceable.
First, it was an off year for everybody on the Devils, Zajac's career average numbers are higher than that. Second, Zajac is the best defensive forward the Devils have had in a long time, and this is a team that had Holik, Madden, Pandolfo, and Brylin in their primes. Third, he has great chemistry with both Parise and Kovalchuk, and Parise was recently quoted as saying Zajac is his favourite linemate and one of his best friends on the team. Fourth, Zajac is the Devils' best centre. After him, the centre depth consists of converted wingers (Elias, Zubrus), rookie players (Josefson, Henrique), and permanent bottom sixers (Steckel, Pelley).

Zajac absolutely is irreplaceable to the Devils. Points and fantasy stats aren't everything.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhark Attack View Post
the point he's making is that there is no player on the Leafs who would make a bigger impact than Zajac. there are no Leafs players that are better centres than Zajac. the Leafs could easily put a package together that is worth Zajac (something stupid like Schenn, Kadri and 20 firsts or something), but the fact is there is no upgrade on Zajac on Toronto at this time, so there is no reason to trade him to the Leafs.
Well I think you could argue Grabovski after his play this season and Zajac's lesser play. Give the guy some credit, he had a tremendous season.

Now this season also showed the inflation Zajac's points experience when he plays with Parise. He is a solid hockey player but I don't think he is as gifted offensively as some may think. I think if Grabo had either Kovie or Parise on his wing he could turn into a high 60 maybe even 70 point center.

I think they are both 2nd line centers. With Grabo more offensively gifted and Zajac more defensively gifted.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

This season showed that nobody on the Devils can produce when the head coach is a moron. Stats accrued under MacLean should hardly be counted against the players. Losing Parise definitely hurt, but both the numbers and visual observation confirm that both Parise and Zajac make each other better when played together. I think MacLean was the larger factor in Zajac's decline in production.

Old
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
This season showed that nobody on the Devils can produce when the head coach is a moron. Stats accrued under MacLean should hardly be counted against the players. Losing Parise definitely hurt, but both the numbers and visual observation confirm that both Parise and Zajac make each other better when played together. I think MacLean was the larger factor in Zajac's decline in production.
True, but you can't argue that playing with an 80-90 point winger will inflate a players point totals and also make them appear a much better player in the offensive zone.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
First, it was an off year for everybody on the Devils, Zajac's career average numbers are higher than that. Second, Zajac is the best defensive forward the Devils have had in a long time, and this is a team that had Holik, Madden, Pandolfo, and Brylin in their primes. Third, he has great chemistry with both Parise and Kovalchuk, and Parise was recently quoted as saying Zajac is his favourite linemate and one of his best friends on the team. Fourth, Zajac is the Devils' best centre. After him, the centre depth consists of converted wingers (Elias, Zubrus), rookie players (Josefson, Henrique), and permanent bottom sixers (Steckel, Pelley).

Zajac absolutely is irreplaceable to the Devils. Points and fantasy stats aren't everything.
First of all his quote was 'any player' that means any player on the Leaf roster which is ridiculous, and in the framework of what you posted yes he's irreplaceable. In the context of the Devils dont have a replacement in house. But that's not irreplaceable it the context of you cant find someone as good somewhere else, there other centres out there as good as Zajac. Brad Richards is irreplaceable, if Dallas loses him to free agency how do they replace him? They can't.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
williamirven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenmetalhead View Post
To New Jersey:
Tyler Bozak
Carl Gunnarsson
Ben Scrivens

To Toronto:
Travis Zajac

Toronto trades two-way 3rd line C with high faceoff win%, a young PMD on the rise, and a decent goalie prospect that hasn't had under a .920 save % in years, for a guy who can be a top-6 scoring threat coming off a disappointing season. NJ also gains some cap relief from this deal even after Bozak and Gunnarsson are re-signed.

Bring it on!
Absent an absurd overpayment at other positions, NJ cannot trade Zajac unless an equal or better Center is coming back. Your proposal is hardly an absurd overpayment, and Tyler Bozak is not an upgrade at Center. No deal.

If the Leafs want Zajac, Schenn is coming the other way.

williamirven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
GoLeafsGo96

New Jersey says no easily.

+ they have no need for Scrivens. Wedgewood is going to be really good.

GoLeafsGo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
williamirven

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
First of all his quote was 'any player' that means any player on the Leaf roster which is ridiculous, and in the framework of what you posted yes he's irreplaceable. In the context of the Devils dont have a replacement in house. But that's not irreplaceable it the context of you cant find someone as good somewhere else, there other centres out there as good as Zajac. Brad Richards is irreplaceable, if Dallas loses him to free agency how do they replace him? They can't.
Sure, there are Centers who are as good or better than Travis, but how would you suggest NJ obtain them? Also, consider that most of these so-called "replacements" will carry a significantly higher cap hit than Zajac's $3.9 million.

williamirven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
oh1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenmetalhead View Post
To New Jersey:
Tyler Bozak
Carl Gunnarsson
Ben Scrivens

To Toronto:
Travis Zajac

Toronto trades two-way 3rd line C with high faceoff win%, a young PMD on the rise, and a decent goalie prospect that hasn't had under a .920 save % in years, for a guy who can be a top-6 scoring threat coming off a disappointing season. NJ also gains some cap relief from this deal even after Bozak and Gunnarsson are re-signed.

Bring it on!
Wow, This is a brutal proposal...

oh1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Yeah, you'd like Zajac on the Leafs, wouldn't you?

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Zajac's 44 points this year also come along with him being one of the best defensive forwards in the entire NHL

not to mention, EVERYONE on the devils had down years. Kovalchuk only had 60 points, he must not be very good

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
apice3*

Come on fellow Devil fans. We definitely should give up our irreplaceable center for expendable role players.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
a couple months back, someone posted a poll on our board on who they thought was the Devils most irreplaceable player.

im pretty sure Zajac won. that should tell you the value he has to this team

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
JimEIV

And he was voted one of the most underrated players in the league by other NHL players and he was voted "Unsung Hero" by his teammates.

Zajac value cannot be measured by points alone...that being said I believe he has a big season or two we've yet to see....but you leaf fans know all that. That is why you ask for every other week.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:51 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I love the op's breakdown it's priceless

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
This thread makes my head hurt. I suggest people look at Zajac's career corsi/fenwick numbers, territorial numbers and GON/60+-.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:21 AM
MadDevil

Tune in next week for another episode of "Terrible Parise/Zajac Trade Offers", only on HFBoards.

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

The Zajac proposals are almost always terrible, because people just don't understand how valuable he is to the Devils.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
This is the bestest posting everer

therealkoho:...I'm a homer Leafs fan who thinks I have any clue about the Devils cap. Even though Zajac is clearly your number one center, you should trade him to the Leafs for 3 decent players because I'm a Leafs fan and I like Zajac. He plays hockey madddd good. Don't forget, even though I know nothing about the Devils cap situation, you don't have enough cap space to sign Parise lolzzzzz. So you should agree with this proposalzzzz
once you figure out satire young fella give koho a call

seriously speaking as a Leafs fan I wouldn't do the deal plain and simple it isn't close to fair value. do I think that a lot of proposals on here are silly, why yes I do, but sometimes they just get sillier by the the fans of the other team falling all over themselves in rationalizing why it doesn't work.

clear

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
once you figure out satire young fella give koho a call

seriously speaking as a Leafs fan I wouldn't do the deal plain and simple it isn't close to fair value. do I think that a lot of proposals on here are silly, why yes I do, but sometimes they just get sillier by the the fans of the other team falling all over themselves in rationalizing why it doesn't work.

clear
Cool. The Devils fans wouldn't do this deal either.

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
Cool. The Devils fans wouldn't do this deal either.
Awesome, then it's a deal.... no deal.

I'm not sure why Leafs fans are so intent on trading for Zajac, he's the same type of center as Bozak (only slightly better), and Bozak hasn't been able to get it done on the top line. This really doesn't make any sense for either team.

If we're going to make proposals for any center in the league, maybe we should aim a little lower than the ultra talented, irreplacable Travis Zajac. Maybe we should stick to secondary talents like Mike Richards, Brad Richards, Jonathon Toews, etc... Look out Hawks fans, here come the proposals!

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
Awesome, then it's a deal.... no deal.

I'm not sure why Leafs fans are so intent on trading for Zajac, he's the same type of center as Bozak (only slightly better), and Bozak hasn't been able to get it done on the top line. This really doesn't make any sense for either team.

If we're going to make proposals for any center in the league, maybe we should aim a little lower than the ultra talented, irreplacable Travis Zajac. Maybe we should stick to secondary talents like Mike Richards, Brad Richards, Jonathon Toews, etc... Look out Hawks fans, here come the proposals!
You wonder why no one takes Leaf proposals seriously. Zajac has two 60+ point seasons and is the same age as Bozak. What has Bozak done? Not even 60 career points

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
You wonder why no one takes Leaf proposals seriously. Zajac has two 60+ point seasons and is the same age as Bozak. What has Bozak done? Not even 60 career points
Hey Troll,

The slightly better thing was tounge in cheek, just like the part at the end where I insinuate that Zajac is somehow better than Mike Richards and Jon Toews. Are you 12? Or just void of a sense of humour?

Point is, they're both 2 way players that are on the smallish side, can be counted on to win big face-offs and kill penalties.

Did you say two 60+ point seasons? that's incredible!

Old
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
Hey Troll,

The slightly better thing was tounge in cheek, just like the part at the end where I insinuate that Zajac is somehow better than Mike Richards and Jon Toews. Are you 12? Or just void of a sense of humour?

Point is, they're both 2 way players that are on the smallish side, can be counted on to win big face-offs and kill penalties.

Did you say two 60+ point seasons? that's incredible!
I never said he was Mike Richards or Toews, you said he was "only slightly better than Bozak," which is just completely wrong. And if trolling means pointing out an obvious fact, then I'm the biggest troll in the world! Oh no trollzz!!!

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:05 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
I never said he was Mike Richards or Toews, you said he was "only slightly better than Bozak," which is just completely wrong. And if trolling means pointing out an obvious fact, then I'm the biggest troll in the world! Oh no trollzz!!!
I didn't say that you said he was better than Richards or Toews, maybe go back and read the last few posts, when you're done that... why don't you go point out obvious facts somewhere else?