HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kadri + 1st round pick

Old
04-24-2011, 10:03 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Why do other teams fans want Spezza so much?

- he's overpaid
- he's lazy
- he's poor defensively
- he doesn't play well in pressure games
- his giggling shows immaturity
- he's a giveaway machine
- he only produced playing with Heatley

Definitely not the type of player *insert your team* should be trading for. He has all those attributes listed above, a big cap hit and long term on his contract. Why would you even want him? Stay as far away as possible!

*not in direct to OP*
If you go back and re-read the thread then you will notice that nobody here actually wants Jason Spezza. I mentioned him only because Murray seemed to like Nazem Kadri and because I doubt there are any other 1st line capable centers available for the package the OP proposed. I then shared a collective laugh alongside Leaf Nation for the proposal that a team should dish out all available assets for Jason Spezza like Thadd inferred

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:04 AM
veedubn1

Toronto needs to keep the few assets they have and hope to solve their needs via free agency.

If that doesn't work.. wait until next summer to find that #1 C .

Either way it makes no sense to move Kadri or Colborne for a center solution on our top line at this time.

Philly should be our role model at this point. Draft well (Carter, Giroux, Gagne before they had to move him) and utilize cap space (Briere) when the time is right.

Philly only moved a bunch of young assets for a big piece (Pronger) when they were on the verge of being a cup contender... which is exactly what the Leafs are not.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
If you go back and re-read the thread then you will notice that nobody here actually wants Jason Spezza. I mentioned him only because Murray seemed to like Nazem Kadri and because I doubt there are any other 1st line capable centers available for the package the OP proposed. I then shared a collective laugh alongside Leaf Nation for the proposal that a team should dish out all available assets for Jason Spezza like Thadd inferred
Yep, because rivals are lining up to give their #1 center to another rival. Nevermind the fact our GM called him untouchable. A lot of other teams fans like to think we should trade Spezza but very few Sens fans think we should.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:31 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Yep, because rivals are lining up to give their #1 center to another rival. Nevermind the fact our GM called him untouchable. A lot of other teams fans like to think we should trade Spezza but very few Sens fans think we should.
Again, it was just a suggestion. A sort of comment to end the speculation in this thread because if Jason Spezza were the only option available via trade but (fans) Ottawa and Toronto couldn't come to terms then what other options does that leave us? Besides, when a GM lists a player as "untouchable" I would take it with a grain of salt, I could think of a few reasons just off the top of my head why a GM would call a player untouchable then turn around and trade him.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Chalfdiggity3

How about Kadri, Schenn, PHI 1st in 11', TOR 1st in 12' for Marian Gaborik?

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
ahahahahahahahhahahaa. How about Dubinsky, Kreider, Grachev, Lundqvist, and Callahan for Brett Lebda?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:39 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Heatley Allstar View Post
No, like the value is fair, but just no, Spezza means to much to the city and the team. He's our new leader, a number 1 center and a top 5 play maker in the league. I could see you landing Jeff Carter for that package.
fisher meant a lot to ottawa too and he got moved for a first

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:42 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
we'll pick him up when you waive him

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Has a single team ever had 4 1sts in a single year?
The Islanders had 3 picks in the top ten in '99. They used these picks to draft Tim Connoly, Taylor Pyatt, and Brano Mezei. I guess it may have been exciting at the time?

The Leafs should not be dangling Kadri, he will probably never be a #1 center, but will absolutely be an incredible winger. I think it would be better to wait until we know what we have with Colborne before trading high end picks and prospects for a franchise centerman.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
UM, no.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1233
Quote:

I don't think anyone wants Gaborik at this point.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Not that it really matters but while I was sifting through the online database of information I did notice that Spezza put up 9 points in the last 4 games of the season. What makes those numbers slightly skewed is the fact those point totals came against 4 teams who's playoff fates had already been decided (BOS/MTL/PHI/TOR)
have you really already forgotten the season? just a tidbit, but toronto needed to win to keep their post season chances alive and they did, thus their fate had not been decided.

Quote:
Mats Sundin single-handedly carried a franchise for a decade.

Jason Spezza is good, don't get me wrong, he can keep up with other top-line players in the league, indicative of point totals alongside Alfie and Heater, but he becomes a little painful to watch when he's the best player on the team. I also don't see being "one of the hottest players in the second half of the season" a valid argument towards Spezza's superiority, was the 1st half an anomaly, or the 2nd? In the end it all averages out. Either way, I see Jason Spezza remaining stagnant or trending down from this point in his career. He has nobody to play with in Ottawa & has already cashed in on his big pay day(s). Not all players that are considered "stars" by some have 15+ year shelf lives.
and to suggest spezza remaining stagnant or trending downwards shows how valid your arguments really are since it is quite evident you dont watch many ottawa games. over the past few seasons, spezza has grown from a great playmaker to a great playmaker who is a leader on this team. fans never dubbed him captain material because he seemed too immature but he has now grown and learned from his mistakes. his two way game has improved leaps and bounds, he has become more vocal and is becoming a good teacher to the rooks.

just pointing out, toronto's top players in kessel, macarthur, grabovski and kulemin all scored between 57-64 points in 81-82 games this season. spezza scored 57 points in 62 games. to say he isnt a star simply shows you are not as informed on spezza as you think you are.

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
fisher meant a lot to ottawa too and he got moved for a first
Fisher did mean a lot to Ottawa but the situations were different.

- Fisher was playing like a third liner more than a second liner
- Fisher is over three years older than Spezza
- Spezza is the other top line talent Ottawa has remaining
- Sens went 1-16 went Spezza went down to injury

I like Fisher, don't get me wrong, but Spezza is on another level. He'll never be the checker Mike Fisher is, or have the same defensive game Fisher does but his clear talent in the offensive zone makes up for it.

We wouldn't get a lot back for Spezza, we know this. His injuries the past few years, plus his stats going down and him having a big contract all combined with stars never getting traded for fair value make it not worth Ottawa to move him. You saw the stats when Spezza is out of the lineup (1-16). He's easily our most valuable player. I'm not going to sit here and compare him to other Leafs, or try to justify his contract because it's pretty useless.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Meh, Kadri and a late 1st are not going to get the Leafs a top line center that will be around for any length of time. Leafs are better off developing Kadri and Colborne and hoping 1 of the 2 can center Kessel in the next few years. Leafs are not close enough to start trading away guys who are only a year or 2 out from being NHL regulars to make a push for the Cup.

If Burke really wants to trade for a #1 center, he should see if he can trade a pick for Richard's rights or something. Otherwise try and sign someone and/or wait for Kadri or Colborne to come into their own.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Why do other teams fans want Spezza so much?

- he's overpaid
- he's lazy
- he's poor defensively
- he doesn't play well in pressure games
- his giggling shows immaturity
- he's a giveaway machine
- he only produced playing with Heatley

Definitely not the type of player *insert your team* should be trading for. He has all those attributes listed above, a big cap hit and long term on his contract. Why would you even want him? Stay as far away as possible!

*not in direct to OP*
wow with all those warts it maakes me wonder why you'd want to keep him

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Has a single team ever had 4 1sts in a single year?
Avs did the same year Lecavalier was drafted, we took Tanguay, Regehr, Parker and... I want to say Skoula. Lacroix tried to move them for Lecavalier but had no such luck.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
with the Leafs needing a #1 center and Brian Burke stating that is his #1 priority this offseason if he Dangled Kadri and the higherr of our 2 1sts which could be phills if the sabres win tomorrow who do you think think he could acquire? would that be enough to obtain the center we need? if not what would need to be added? cause you gotta think Kadri and a 1st would be a real good starting point.

the Reason I ask is because as much as Leaf fans may not like it I believe Burke may put Kadri + a 1st on the table in an effort to get Kessel a center to play with.

I think he feels this team has some good parts in place including most of our top 6 and may be willing to pay the price to get the guy he wants.

so what do you think he could obtain if Kadri and a 1st is on the table.
If Boston loses Krejci will be on the table.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Leafs fans still haven't learned, stop trading all your assets when you're in the middle of a rebuild, rushing it is not the way to go, do it the proper way.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:44 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
If Boston loses Krejci will be on the table.
he'd be nice but I don't think Burke would pay Kadri + 1st for him

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote