HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fisher mistake?

Old
03-07-2011, 08:40 AM
kahlon66

vCash: 500
Fisher mistake?

Hey guys, I have always checked out nashville stats and follow how they are doing in the standings, I have noticed that the Preds are having trouble scoring goals, Pekka Rinne has been outstanding and so has the D, do you guys think that the Preds made a mistake picking up Fisher for a 1st rather than getting someone who can score a bit more and that they didnt pick up a guy like Zherdev off waivers, thanks guys

kahlon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

No. Zherdev is a lazy ****. Fisher is the opposite and fits like a glove for this organization.

I'm perfectly happy giving up a 1st for Fisher, as the odds of us getting a player that turns out to be better than him are slim.

PredaDORES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
kahlon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
No. Zherdev is a lazy ****. Fisher is the opposite and fits like a glove for this organization.

I'm perfectly happy giving up a 1st for Fisher, as the odds of us getting a player that turns out to be better than him are slim.

thanks bud, i just noticed that they arent scoring much are there many scoring chances though

kahlon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
cleangene

Oodles of missed chances!!! A coaching staff which corrects the problems of shooting into the chests of goalies, VERY slow triggers leading to double-figure blocked shots, and some of the worst passing on a professional level could erase that extremely low goal scoring stat.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think if we miss the playoffs then any trade involving our first rounder would be considered a bust. I also don't see how Zherdev is the key missing to being a play off team. In fact I can't really think of any goal scorer who was available for a first and conditional third who would put us over on offense. Our team as a whole just isn't getting the puck in the net right now. Besides we'd still have a problem at center without Fisher.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 11:40 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
We needed Fisher because Goc, O'Reilly, and Lombardi went down. Also, Legwand was hurt for a time there and was not known how bad the injury was initially. So we definitely needed a center. We got one that is a PR machine in this city, one that is signed past this year, and one that happens to be a pretty good hockey player.

Yes, I wish we would have picked up Zherdev or not dropped Svatos. We need their scoring.... bad. But having said this, this team will be tough to play in the playoffs, I believe (IF we get in...). Tough defense, great goaltending, and some good 2 way forwards that won't make (m)any mistakes on the defensive side of things.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
We needed Fisher because Goc, O'Reilly, and Lombardi went down. Also, Legwand was hurt for a time there and was not known how bad the injury was initially. So we definitely needed a center. We got one that is a PR machine in this city, one that is signed past this year, and one that happens to be a pretty good hockey player.

Yes, I wish we would have picked up Zherdev or not dropped Svatos. We need their scoring.... bad. But having said this, this team will be tough to play in the playoffs, I believe (IF we get in...). Tough defense, great goaltending, and some good 2 way forwards that won't make (m)any mistakes on the defensive side of things.
That's the way I look at it. Fisher replaced Lombardi and Fisher covers any potential loss of Lomardi moving into the future. Yes it met a need this year, but more importantly in my mind (unlike a rental) it provides some security moving forward.

Bigger "mistakes" were not addressing the PP and lack of scoring before the season started. More recent mistakes include giving up on Svatos, the Sullivan "experiment" with the bad groin especially since he now had surgery for something he couldn't play through, Trotz's idiot move of playing Ward in an offensive role, and to a lesser extent, giving away Sulzer which took away depth at D (particularly since Cube is still out).

Fisher's worth to this team was always to be determined on a longer view than just this final quarter of the season.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
SK74 Snipes

I think it is hard to say right now how we should feel about him. At the end of the season if his statistics haven't improved a lot I would say it may be. But I also see him being in Nashville for a long time.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Legionnaire11

I don't think Fisher was a bad pickup, and i'm excited to have him for the next few years. I think his poor statistics so far goes right along with the entire team going in the tank, nobody has been scoring.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 09:15 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll say that I don't think he's been as good as I heard he would be. I don't think he's as good as Legwand defensively or offensively but all we heard about was how good his defense is.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'll say that I don't think he's been as good as I heard he would be. I don't think he's as good as Legwand defensively or offensively but all we heard about was how good his defense is.
I thought about his defensive reputation when he came over and after several games of playing and I wondered if some of it was because the West has been better overall defensively than the East over the last few years. His individual play may have looked a little better given the Sens opponents over the course of his career than who he actually is as a defensive player. He's not bad, but not really as good as we were led to believe?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Legionnaire11

could be. Remember when Jed Ortmeyer came over from the Rangers. They all raved about his hustle, heart, work ethic, energy... and on this team he was just another 4th line clone, because we are stocked with those guys. Fisher may have been a standout two-way guy on the Sens, but on a team full of responsible two-way players he doesn't stand out.

But again, I want to see him on a healthy Preds team that isn't in the middle of their annual end of season slide.

Old
03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

yeah, when healthy we look much better, especially with Lombardi, Legwand and Fisher down the middle.

Old
03-08-2011, 09:36 PM
dulzhok

The thing is we might have literally broke the bank with Fisher (putting us over the midpoint).

I'm all about spending more cash, but it's seems unwise to put all that cash into ANOTHER scoring-line challenged player.

We can argue over if Fisher is overpaid, but at the very least, he makes at the upper-tier of what a player of his type gets paid. Much like other players on our team.

Poile was given the green light to spend some more money and this is his attempt to get us to the elusive next level.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-08-2011 at 09:46 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I thought about his defensive reputation when he came over and after several games of playing and I wondered if some of it was because the West has been better overall defensively than the East over the last few years. His individual play may have looked a little better given the Sens opponents over the course of his career than who he actually is as a defensive player. He's not bad, but not really as good as we were led to believe?
If Fisher's defensive reputation is overrated, its probably not for the reason you mentioned. He was after all a Selke finalist a few years ago and has been highly regarded in his own zone for close to a decade, so the last few years of strong play in the West probably don't account for that. He's had this reputation on elite teams and poor ones.

That being said, some Sens fans (myself included) would say his defensive play has always been overrated, because while Fisher provides good play in his own zone, his energy and physicality covered less than elite hockey sense, awareness and positioning. Personally I thought Chris Kelly and Antoine Vermette were always better defensively (and were the top PK unit when they were both in Ottawa), but received less hype because of offensive production and style.

Last edited by Hossa: 03-09-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
The problem with Fisher is that he is not a skilled forward. He puts his head down and goes 110%. He doesn't have the vision to make his linemates better and that was always a problem in Ottawa. The out put he is making since the trade is exactly what should be expected except he has been worse, I think, in the face off circle. He should be good for 40-50 points but he disappears far too often. He has a really hard snap/wrist shot but always hits the goalie in the chest, no accuracy.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
If Fisher's defensive reputation is overrated, its probably not for the reason you mentioned. He was after all a Selke finalist a few years ago and has been highly regarded in his own zone for close to a decade, so the last few years of strong play in the West probably don't account for that. He's had this reputation on elite teams and poor ones.

That being said, some Sens fans (myself included) would say his defensive play has always been overrated, because while Fisher provides good play in his own zone, his energy and physicality covered less than elite hockey sense, awareness and positioning. Personally I thought Chris Kelly and Antoine Vermette were always better defensively (and were the top PK unit when they were both in Ottawa), but received less hype because of offensive production and style.
I think he's good in his own zone, but I expected him to be better than Legwand defensively and he's not. I think it might be that aside from what dulz might say, Legwand is underrated defensively and Fisher might have been slightly overrated.

Old
03-09-2011, 09:22 AM
token grinder

Quote:
I think he's good in his own zone, but I expected him to be better than Legwand defensively and he's not. I think it might be that aside from what dulz might say, Legwand is underrated defensively and Fisher might have been slightly overrated.
I think their comparison is much like the weber/suter one. Fisher is the one that will be the sexier of the two because he hits. (weber) Legwand is the one with wheels that can seperate man from puck wothout big hits (suter)

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think their comparison is much like the weber/suter one. Fisher is the one that will be the sexier of the two because he hits. (weber) Legwand is the one with wheels that can seperate man from puck wothout big hits (suter)
I'd rather have the guy that can separate the man from the puck without big hits because they're using positioning as opposed to relying on size and strength. While I enjoy big hits, I enjoy good D as well. Ironic that Weber and Fisher are right handed and Leggy and Suter are lefties. Any correlation to this?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'd rather have the guy that can separate the man from the puck without big hits because they're using positioning as opposed to relying on size and strength. While I enjoy big hits, I enjoy good D as well. Ironic that Weber and Fisher are right handed and Leggy and Suter are lefties. Any correlation to this?

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Well, our fanbase is bipolar over Leggy anyway; but yes, around the league, the only center that I'd say is for sure better defensively is that russian on that hated Dead Wings team.

Fisher is a future forward on this team, not a center, assuming Mr. Lombardi comes back healthy. Fisher seems more suited, in the Preds game, to camping out in front ala Horny. I know we all like the idea of Fisher centering the 3rd line, but I think the numbers take us down the path of signing Orly to do that. and lets face it, Trotz is gonna' roll a Smitty-centered 4th line no matter what!

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 07:52 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Well, our fanbase is bipolar over Leggy anyway; but yes, around the league, the only center that I'd say is for sure better defensively is that russian on that hated Dead Wings team.

Fisher is a future forward on this team, not a center, assuming Mr. Lombardi comes back healthy. Fisher seems more suited, in the Preds game, to camping out in front ala Horny. I know we all like the idea of Fisher centering the 3rd line, but I think the numbers take us down the path of signing Orly to do that. and lets face it, Trotz is gonna' roll a Smitty-centered 4th line no matter what!
A number of us have mentioned this before that Fisher would make a great RW poward forward because of his rugged play & north south skating style. I really hope Trotz tries him there next yr. One of the things that is detrimental to Fisher is that he is too nice, I wish he would play a more in your face style. He is strong like bull & if you ever see him fight he is pretty tough, he just rarely does it any more.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
A number of us have mentioned this before that Fisher would make a great RW poward forward because of his rugged play & north south skating style. I really hope Trotz tries him there next yr. One of the things that is detrimental to Fisher is that he is too nice, I wish he would play a more in your face style. He is strong like bull & if you ever see him fight he is pretty tough, he just rarely does it any more.
You can thank his suga mamma for that. lol

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2011, 11:25 PM
predfan24

You have to think that Sens fans were right when they said Fisher was dealing with a pretty bad injury and he's playing through it. That claim is supported even more with him sitting out practices and such for "maintenance" days. I can't call the deal bad now because he is with us for two more years. If he was a rental he would be easier to say he's a bust. I simply can't fathom how he is performing now is his normal state. His numbers are pretty consistent since the lockout. 20-25 goals, 40-50 points. He hasn't shown that ability at all here. He needs to be taken off the PP as he has been terrible on it.

Hopefully the injury is the problem because this team can't afford another overpaid inconsistent guy. You have to feel bad for him. He's our big acquisition and everybody is expecting a certain amount from him and he hasn't come close to expectations.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2011, 07:19 AM
Legionnaire11

I agree completely with that, when Trotz first mentioned a "Maintenance" day for Fisher it was obvious that he is hurt. And a day here and there at this point of the season is not going to remedy whatever is bothering him, but with Legwand as our only real option to score at center at there we know there's a chance that Fisher could pick up a point here or there. And if he gets right over the summer then he should be much better next season.