HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we qualify Plekanec as a playoff choker?

Old
04-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's not a choker....but I have a hard time with people being satisfied solely with him in the role of a shutodown player. I'm expecting that role, especially at home, to be filled by my #3 centerman. Pleks role is to be efficient offensively as well. When you're part of a top 6 line, you need to be efficient enough so that you can do both jobs, offensively and defensively. I'm underwhelmed by him but he is NOT getting a whole lot of help either.

He shouldn't be our main concern, but I don't think he should be beatified also.
He could have produced a bit more offensively, but the thing he was there for those chances, and created some stuff. Last night if Cammy scores on his pass, we're going home 3-2 and this thread doesn't exist.

Plekanec scored a goal and put up an assist in game 3-4 the games we lost. He showed up and produced. If other parts of the team had done their job it could easily have been over in 4.

It would be nice if he had scored, but the fact he's getting and creating chances means he's involved and playing well. Just couldn't finish.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:04 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Wasn't a fan of this player in the beginning, but his last two playoffs apparel really disappoint me.
I totally agree! Pleks seems to have gotten away from his cool soft turtlenecks. Now he wears these supertight ones and they are choking him.

Quote:
Your tough?
My tough is John Ferguson. Who's yours?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He's not a choker....but I have a hard time with people being satisfied solely with him in the role of a shutodown player. I'm expecting that role, especially at home, to be filled by my #3 centerman. Pleks role is to be efficient offensively as well. When you're part of a top 6 line, you need to be efficient enough so that you can do both jobs, offensively and defensively. I'm underwhelmed by him but he is NOT getting a whole lot of help either.

He shouldn't be our main concern, but I don't think he should be beatified also.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but when you get matched up against the top line on the other team, plus have Moen as a winger, you have to cut the guy some slack...plus he's probably been as dangerous as anybody in the series, but missed some fine chances, last night he set up Cammy on a great chance but ended up not putting it in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:06 PM
HCH

Quote:
Wasn't a fan of this player in the beginning, but his last two playoffs apparel really disappoint me. Poor defensive play, lack of offence touch and lack of physical presence are what we're seeing from him right now. Spacek and Plekanek, IMO, has been our two worst ''regular'' (outside Pouliot,..) player this playoff.

Eller has been way better than him and I think it's the time to play him between Cammalleri and Kostitsyn. He is a better playmaker than Plekanek and is way more physical. We have two snipers in Kost and Cammy, they really need someone who would give them the puck.

Your tough?
Good grief. Pleks is the least of our worries. These posts are going from the strange to the completely bizarre.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:11 PM
couris

yes he is. I hope our first line center is supposed to put up points in the playoffs..........

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Kind of hard to be offensive when your sole mission on the ice is to shadow the oppositions center man.
But that isn't his "sole mission". He is our #1 centre. He is a two way player and while he may not be racking up points, his play with the puck is disappointing at times. He tries to do too much on his own in the offensive zone with the puck. He tries to take too many people on and then either shoots from the high slot or tries to get closer to the net, being forced wide in the process and then shooting from a bad angle.

When the ATM line is at its best, the three players all make use of each other, they all pass and move and they all get around the net. At the moment, Pleks isn't using his wingers very well and that affects the whole line. Think about all the shots TP takes from the high slot. We know he can score from there, it's just that on his line, he is the least likely to score from that position. He may have to focus on his defensive duties in the playoffs, but surely not to the extent that it prevents him from giving the puck to either of the other 2 players on his line who happen to shoot the puck better than any other forwards on the team? Its a simple task in the grand scheme of playoff hockey but at times he simply doesn't do it.

I really like Pleks as a player, I'm very glad we have him, but this 'go it alone' approach has been growing since the middle of the season. He had some success with it in the middle of the year and he started doing it more and more ever since. He's a better player than that but it just seems at the moment he is too focused on trying to force the same type of play to work over and over at the expense changing the angle of attack and letting his linemates make something happen. We know he is capable of playing a give and go style of game in the offensive zone but that relies entirely on him giving the puck to someone at some point. The way he handles zone entries lately, we may as well put Gionta between MC and AK because the outcome would be more or less the same except Gio may try and drive through the slot every now and then.

Hopefully one of the coaches can help him focus on playing a more simple game in game 6 and we get to see what he and his line are truly capable of. Tim Thomas is fighting off shots and struggling to control rebounds from the likes of DD, Halpern and Darche at the moment, who knows what kind of chances would result from him trying to stop Cammy and AK's shots when being forced to move laterally.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

The better question is

"Can we stop saying Gomez is a playoffs warrior?"

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:16 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
For me, yes, he's a choker.

When he has the puck, he always go die in the corner and nothing is coming out of it.

And he supposed to be our number one center....

At first, i didn't like his new contract and now, i absolutely HATE it.
He comes out of the corner with the puck more often than not. I have no idea where you come up with your analysis. He is our #1 center but he is paid to be our #2 center. Where is the problem with that. If you hate his contract you must absolutely despise what Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri are being paid.

I think a little perspective needs to be applied here.

Old
04-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Patrice Brisebois

BOO THIS MAN!

I'm happy with "Plekanek" and his playoff performance so far. Where's Gomez? I thought he was supposed to be a "big playoff performer"

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
He comes out of the corner with the puck more often than not. I have no idea where you come up with your analysis. He is our #1 center but he is paid to be our #2 center. Where is the problem with that. If you hate his contract you must absolutely despise what Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri are being paid.I think a little perspective needs to be applied here.
HUm no.

Those two are our best forwards.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

who is plekanek?

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
But that isn't his "sole mission". He is our #1 centre. He is a two way player and while he may not be racking up points, his play with the puck is disappointing at times. He tries to do too much on his own in the offensive zone with the puck. He tries to take too many people on and then either shoots from the high slot or tries to get closer to the net, being forced wide in the process and then shooting from a bad angle.

When the ATM line is at its best, the three players all make use of each other, they all pass and move and they all get around the net. At the moment, Pleks isn't using his wingers very well and that affects the whole line. Think about all the shots TP takes from the high slot. We know he can score from there, it's just that on his line, he is the least likely to score from that position. He may have to focus on his defensive duties in the playoffs, but surely not to the extent that it prevents him from giving the puck to either of the other 2 players on his line who happen to shoot the puck better than any other forwards on the team? Its a simple task in the grand scheme of playoff hockey but at times he simply doesn't do it.

I really like Pleks as a player, I'm very glad we have him, but this 'go it alone' approach has been growing since the middle of the season. He had some success with it in the middle of the year and he started doing it more and more ever since. He's a better player than that but it just seems at the moment he is too focused on trying to force the same type of play to work over and over at the expense changing the angle of attack and letting his linemates make something happen. We know he is capable of playing a give and go style of game in the offensive zone but that relies entirely on him giving the puck to someone at some point. The way he handles zone entries lately, we may as well put Gionta between MC and AK because the outcome would be more or less the same except Gio may try and drive through the slot every now and then.

Hopefully one of the coaches can help him focus on playing a more simple game in game 6 and we get to see what he and his line are truly capable of. Tim Thomas is fighting off shots and struggling to control rebounds from the likes of DD, Halpern and Darche at the moment, who knows what kind of chances would result from him trying to stop Cammy and AK's shots when being forced to move laterally.
Totally agree with this.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Not hard to shut him down when your only other offensive line is anchored by a 38-point player who sucks defensively.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
He has missed some good chances but there's a reason the Krejci line isn't doing too well either. They're cancelling each other out. Now normally you'd think the Bruins would change up their lines but I think they are confident in their depth vs ours so they're content with the way things are going.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I agree... he was mailing it in.

Last night was brutal for Plek. He is so scared to go into the centre of the ice. He won't cut to the net on Chara. He continually tries to beat him wide and shoot from the corner. He also does his little poke check stick/stick swipe rather than compete along the boards.

Horrible effort from him. Guy with his speed could be first to the puck whenever he wanted against the B's d and never is.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The better question is

"Can we stop saying Gomez is a playoffs warrior?"
I hope Gomez reverses the trend and shows us he actually is... That it wasn't just a general decline in every aspect of his game this season (playoff included).

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:48 PM
habtastic

Is this a joke?

funny how people see things in different way. He made one mistake last night. Both Cammy and him couldn't hit a net with a Bruin player in it and the mistake I mean is the blown coverage on the first goal. Otherwise he's been great at shutting down, greattttt on the PK and offensively, created way more chances than most. His line is the most dangerous and has put up points (that sweet feed to AK in game 4 should have been the winning goal). The guy has taken the body, defended his goalie, done everything. Stop trying to lay blame just cuz we're losing. Gionta lifts that one timer and it's 3-2 us. Darche doesn't hit the post, same, I could go on. Pleky is one guy who is not at fault. He btw has 1 more goal that Lucic.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 02:52 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
HUm no.

Those two are our best forwards.
Really? You sound like you actually believe that.

Old
04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Native

vCash: 605
plec's has had alot of amazing chances and breakaways but they haven't gone in as often as we all would have liked. this year, i can't say he's a choker at all. he's competing, creating chances, and for the most part, solid defensively. although he missed coverage on the beaker's goal last game.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:23 PM
macavoy

Quote:
His role is to score goals.
This post basically proves that your biased and not being objective. Even in the regular season his primary role isn't to score goals. He's primarily a play maker.

However you do have a point (except you don't realize it). Eventually when we get rid of Gomez, we need to sign a shut down centre so we are not wasting a $5m playmaker in a shut down role.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Playoff choker?? Wow. He battles every single shift and takes every single one of the toughest assignments out there. Would I like to have an even better 1st line centre so that Plekanec could play the second line? Sure, but Pleks (aside from breaking off of Marchand on the first goal before Gill gets back from his wander to the blueline) has hardly "choked". Far from it, in fact. He's the gear that has kept AK and Cammy grinding and looking like our most dangerous players for the past couple of games.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:46 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I think he has been playing the game Martin ha asked him to play ! Limit Bostons first line scoring chances. Now if only we could get soem serious secondary goal scoring. The real problem is T Thomas has played better than Price, but i would expect Price to be an amazing playoff goalie in the future with all this experience. Win Win situation for everyone these playoffs.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Miller Time

Short answer... NO

Long answer...

I'll leave it to E, he answered it perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Datsyuk stats in the playoffs
2005-06 Detroit NHL 5 0 3 3 0
2003-04 Detroit NHL 12 0 6 6 1
2002-03 Detroit NHL 4 0 0 0 -3
2001-02 Detroit NHL 21 3 3 6 1

Omg, Datsyuk is a playoffs choker. Datsyuk was 27 in 05-06 btw.

Nevermind the fact that the wings were a much better team.

I've seen Plekanec play very good hockey so far. He set up Cammy for a sure goal yst. He came up big in the games we lost at home. Scored a goal and made a key play to put the habs up. The line he's matched up against hasn't done much. PK has been solid with him having a regular role on it.

Plekanec could easily have 3-4 more goals. He missed a lot of empty nets, and had a lot of bad luck with Ryder making an incredible move to save it.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
NLHabsFan

No... I'd take Plek's any day of the week. He shuts down the opposing's best as well as anyone else in the league. The problem is the Habs don't have a scoring center, if they did we wouldn't have this thread, we'd be praising his defensive work and how it allows our scoring center the time to put up points and the team winning games.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Is this a joke?

funny how people see things in different way. He made one mistake last night.
Actually both goals were largely on him. The first goal was a BAD mistake. On the second goal, Wiz follows the puck carrier up toward the blue line, but Plekanec gets caught puck watching and his man slips back behind him, leaving Hamrlik to defend TWO guys in front of the net.

Oops!

Clearly, those (including Michel Bergeron) who think that "anyone" can play good defence lack appreciation for just how difficult it is to be totally focused at all times as well as capable of executing the plan that one is focusing on.

Even good defensive players like Plekanec, Gionta and Gomez can get caught making costly errors at times.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote