HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM Mode - Habs 2011-2012

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
skinniks

vCash: 500
Gone
------
Pouliot
Spacek (EDM? - he has history there and they need help on the backend - send back a marginal prospect)
Moen

Trade
-------
Weber for Clarkson - NJ needs capspace and PMD - add picks on either side if needed

Sign
-----
Andy Greene (or equivalent in the 2.5 to 3 range)
Laich (Overpay up to 4M if needed - I have him at 3.5 which seems fair)
Garon (or equivalent - Auld or whoever in the 800K range)

3 solid scoring lines and a young energy line which can chip in the odd goal.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.750m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / David Clarkson ($2.666m)
Brooks Laich ($3.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.800m) / David Desharnais ($0.550m) / Ryan White ($0.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.250m)
P.K. Subban ($0.875m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
Andy Greene ($2.750m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)
Alexandre Picard or Carle or cheap UFA ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Mathieu Garon ($0.800m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,420,143; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $979,857

Old
04-24-2011, 11:09 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Damn didn't know that about Spacek...i'm sure someone will take him. He only has 1 year left on his contract ..a team like colombus or something will take him. Maybe throw in a pick or a young prospect to entice them.

Ya like I said Frolov and AK are a wash but Frolov has more "upside" to his game , in terms of point production at least and being soft is one thing but he's still 6'3, size does matter even if u don't know how to use it lol.
Yeah, give up youth to get rid of last year Spacek contract, great way to build your future...

actually, according to NHL website he's 6'2... and while taller, AK's bigger than him...

Old
04-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0246 View Post
Seriously I just can't stand an other season with Gomez. I can't. I tried as hard as I can but... Really I feel the ******** every single day since Gainey made Sutter look like a genius in NY.

By the way Brad Richards said he's not interested in playing for the Canadiens, so let's guess maybe Toronto of NYRangers (if they can ******** an other GM with Gaborik's contract...).

Link ? I never heard that !

Old
04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
[/B]

Link ? I never heard that !
Who cares ..these people seem to think ti's gospel when a player says X 1-2 years ago ..

u think he knows montreal was going to offer him 8-9 m $ a year ? Many things change on the spots ..how many times did u say in ur life, ya i don't think i'm going to do that then a few years later, you end up doing it ...

Old
04-24-2011, 11:48 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 13

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Scottie Upshall ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.200m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.200m)
David Desharnais ($1.000m) / Ryan White ($1.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.000m)
Tom Pyatt ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Josh Gorges ($2.300m) / Hal Gill ($2.000m)
James Wisniewski ($3.500m) / Eric Brewer ($3.500m)
Yannick Weber ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Mathieu Garon ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,702,976; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $297,024

spacek traded for a 5th

Old
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
You guys are sooo soo weak! And that is why our management sucks... your basically hoping to bring the same team back with 1 or 2 changes on the 3rd line and that's it? WTH is that ..we are small, we can't score..wake up!

This is what needs to be done:

-Gomez ..your a good guy but we need to win a cup here, sorry but AHL ..if you report, we will gladly pay your salary, be a good guy and try to help the kids down there. If you don't report then we're not paying you **** and no we are NOT buying you out.

-Moen is not a 3rd liner.

-Spacek stinks , try to trade him. If you can't then keep him as #7 ..if there is a guy on the market that you need and takes 4m$ then put Spacek in the AHL too.

-Sign Brad Richards (They will come if you show money)
8 years/64 M $ (8 M $ per)

-Sign Jason Arnott
2 years/6 M $ (yes I know i'm overpaying but at least he fits a need)

-Sign Zenon Konopka
3 years / 3 M $

-Sign Marco Sturm
2 years / 6 M $

-Sign Alexander Frolov (Replacement of Andrei Kost)
3 years / 10.5 M $

-Say Goodbye to Andrei Kostistyn
-Say Goodbye to Halpern
-Say Goodbye to Pouliot

-Trade
Travis Moen + 3rd Round pick for Trevor Gillies

Camalleri-Richards-Frolov
Gionta-Plekanec-Pacioretty
Eller-Arnott-Sturm
Gilles-Konopka-White
Desharnais-Darche

Conclusion: We are tougher, Gillies, White and Kononpka will take care of Thornton, Lucic, Cooke, Talbot and Avery. Arnott brings size and toughness on the 3rd line but he is still responsible. Sturm can be a 20 goal scorer. Can fill in on the top 2 lines from time to time during injuries. Same With Eller. Frolov and Kostitsyn are the same, both inconsistent but at least Frolov is bigger and has already got 71 pts with Cammalleri. Give him the best Center on the team and let him get his confidence back. Arnott can be used in front of the net on the PP.

Defenseman

-Sign Markov 7 years/24.5 M $ (3.5 M $ per)
I believe he will be back 100%. Dr. Andrews is one of the best if not the Best. He has done many major surgeries on wrestlers. Today's ACL/MCL surgeries are a lot better compared to just 5-10 years ago. Do I know for a fact? No but im' willing to take a big risk at a cheap salary cap...we can get rewarded big time.

-Sign James Wizniewski for 4 years / 20 M $ (overpaying but market value)

-Sign Hal Gill for 2 years / 3 M $

-Sign Scott Hannan for 4 years / 16 M $

If i'm under the cap, keep Spacek, if i'm a bit over, show Spacek for 7th round pick. If no avail, put him on waivers, if nobody picks him up. Send him down to AHL.

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Wizniewski
Gill-Hannan
Weber

Price
Whoever
Would love to see a team like this in Montreal again. For too long we have been pushovers.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:07 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

This may be a dumb question but I wonder how hard it would be to get Matt Moulson from the Islanders. The Isles have a lot of cap space to work with.

Moulson and Konopka for Gomez.

It would be great having a Moulson playing for a Molson.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This may be a dumb question but I wonder how hard it would be to get Matt Moulson from the Islanders. The Isles have a lot of cap space to work with.

Moulson and Konopka for Gomez.

It would be great having a Moulson playing for a Molson.
He just resign a deal with them and he would have been UFA, plus he is playing with his buddy Tavares. I don't think they will trade a 30 goals scorer that want to play for them and is signed at a 3,13 millions cap hit in his first year of a new deal.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:14 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
He just resign a deal with them and he would have been UFA, plus he is playing with his buddy Tavares. I don't think they will trade a 30 goals scorer that want to play for them and is signed at a 3,13 millions cap hit in his first year of a new deal.
Thanks. Like I said, it was a dumb question.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Marchy79

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.100m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)
Ben Eager ($0.965m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.750m) / Ryan White ($0.600m)
/ David Desharnais ($0.500m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.000m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Anton Babchuk ($2.100m)
Josh Gorges ($1.100m) / Yannick Weber ($0.875m)
Paul Mara ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Jose Theodore ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,426,309; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,973,691

First line: Camm-Pleks-Kost.
I still like them, I still want all 3 around. and they do play well together.

Second Line: Patches - Gomez - Gionta
Gomez has got to rebound from this season... He's been flat out called out this season, and I am sure he is planning on rearranging that perception. I want to see more passing from Gio, and Patches was really on a roll for a while, I am comfortable seeing how much further he can go.

Third Line: Pouliot - Eller - Zherdev
Yes, I know... a bit out there, but if Zherdev does take off, this line could be pretty freakin awesome if it did click. Big, strong and talented. Cloudy long term, but I would love to see a 1a, 1b, 1c line here.

Fourth Line: Eager - Konopka - White
Throwing in new elements of size. Konopka is nuts, and Eager is a big boy. White is strong. But I would use them as a persuasion/energy line.

Bench: Desharnais, Darche
Doesnt mean they arent always playing... but I do think they are great pieces to the puzzle in Montreal. Desharnais could help out if Gomez struggles, Darche has been a warrior pick up. I like him a lot, and could be strong depth on the wings on the big club.

Gone: Moen via trade somewhere. I went for bigger size on the wing. via UFA Ben Eager.
Konopka UFA addition. I hear he wanted to be around here. If we go this way, he's a guy who wins faceoffs, and will cause ****/be tough when needed. Protects his teammates, and could be a decent guy to have on the bench/4th line.
N.Zherdev UFA addition. **** fell apart for him in Philadelphia. I believe he still can be reserrected in Montreal, start him on the third line, and see where he goes. With Pouliot/Eller, he definately could not say the talent wasnt there... I could see the three of them exploding. It's a low level move, with a home run chance.

Defence, all the talk, everyone goes. Hamr, Gill, Sopel.
Bring in Babchuk, who was fantastic in Calgary, plays the right side, has a hammer, and is huge. Kind of brings together all the defencemen we lose in one (kinda lol)

Auld was fantastic, I think something was off here though. Bring back Theo for his tail run for his career. Great exp. for Price, and IMO could still play some games. Good nostalgia here

Last edited by Marchy79: 04-25-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old
04-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Thanks. Like I said, it was a dumb question.
Well that was legitimate, then again the price tag for Moulson for the reason I explained would be big and I think for the same price we should go for a more power forward type (Moulson is a very good in front of the net guy, but he lack speed and isn't really big or physical). If philly or vancouver loose I could see guys like Burrows or Hartnell who were essential in their cup run be traded. Upshall, Glencross and Cole will be UFA and they all play a physical game.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:28 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.100m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.350m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)
Ben Eager ($0.965m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.750m) / Ryan White ($0.600m)
/ David Desharnais ($0.500m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.000m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Anton Babchuk ($2.100m)
Josh Gorges ($1.100m) / Yannick Weber ($0.875m)
Paul Mara ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Jose Theodore ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,426,309; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,973,691
Love that 4th Line.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Love that 4th Line.

I figure if we are throwing out that much talent in the top 3 lines, one glaring thing that happens, is that we get rolled over by physical teams...

I think that fourth line would be absolutely feared around the league.

This is an element we sorely need to improve on.

I dont want anybody walking in to montreal expecting a sunday skate anymore.

& what gets the fuel in the talented players going more than energy, flat out, and knowing the back up is there when you need it.

I bet a lot of people would be surprised to see exactly how physical this team can get if the element was changed properly

Old
04-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Beendair Donedat

Shown the door: Hamrlik, Halpern, Mara, Sopel, Darche, Pyatt and Pouliot.

Brought in: JF Jacques, Jim Vandermeer, Zenon Konopka, Curtis Glencross.

Lines:
Glencross - Plekanec - Cammelleri
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Desharnais - Eller
Jacques - Konopka - White

Defense
Markov - Gorges
Subban - Gill
Wisnewski - Vandermeer
Extra - Weber

Old
04-25-2011, 03:26 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.650m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($0.700m) / Brooks Laich ($3.966m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Zenon Konopka ($1.100m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.600m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($4.750m) / Eric Brewer ($4.750m)
Josh Gorges ($2.100m) / James Wisniewski ($4.050m)
Alexei Emelin ($1.800m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Paul Mara ($0.650m) / Yannick Weber ($0.700m) (agrees to re-sign at a discount but given a 1 way contract a la pyatt)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($0.700m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,772,499; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,627,501

Assumes gomez is rotting in the minors or was taken for little cap hit back by a team like St.louis or Phoenix. From what I've heard, both teams were close to acquiring gomez at the deadline, but fell through due to montreal failing to close up other deals that this one depended on. There is also enough cap space to accommodate a gomez buy-out, in the case you think dropping him in the minors or finding a trade partner is too improbable.

And before anyone else asks, yes, I'm completely comfortable going forward with Eller as 2nd line C as long as we get someone like Laich to help shoulder the load. Laich is my most important player to target this off season. I think he brings a dimension to this team that we sorely lack. He's fantastic defensively and a hard worker, perfect fit for this team.

I also brought in konopka on the fourth line for added toughness and faceoff winning skill. He may be underpaid here, I'm not sure. The additions of laich and Konopka make us tougher, better defensively and not much slower. These are two culture changing additions that would help the team.

Defense
I'm assuming that spacek was dumped on a team in need of D. Maybe edmonton (although they might draft larrson so...) or that he leaves to finish his career in Europe. This is a wild guess and one of the weakest points in my entire mock-up. A guy can hope to get lucky, right?

My 2nd biggest acquisition would be Eric Brewer. Great Defensively, tough, smart and can play huge minutes. Play him with markov to help shoulder the defensive load and protect him a bit. This is another guy I want to add to make this team a big tougher without sacrificing much in terms of speed or defensive ability.

My 2nd acquisition on D would be bringing over Alexei Emelin. Might look like a bit of a pipe dream, but if the reports about him just wanting an out-clause are true, I give it to him in a heartbeat in exchange for him taking a bit of a pay cut until he proves himself. Either we get a capable young d-man for cheap, or we clear an incapable D-man off the cap if he doesn't make the cut and goes back to Russia that can be easily replaced by weber or mara (but this is not ideal)

Gorges might be a little underpaid here, but I think his injury hurt his value a bit and I don't expect him to get anything over 2.5 anyway. Love the guy, future captain material, but I wouldn't break the bank on him just yet.

Alex Auld is brought back to reprise his role as Millionaire Bench Warmer at a paycut. Simple enough.

Thoughts?
I like it. All of it. I especially like Brewer on D. I've been saying the same thing, we need someone big tough and young to play with Marky, and to clear the net. This is for me the most important move for next year.

Your evil plan depends on torching Gomez and Spaceman though, and I can't see us getting that lucky!

Old
04-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Looking at all those proposed lineups, I sure hope it'd be that easy to get rid of Gomez and Spacek... anyway, Laich would be of great interest to me for the forwards, he's no offensive dynamo, but a good complimentary player with size for our smallish forwards. On D, I want Pitkanen ! He's litterally a younger Hamrlik, with more mobility... and if we could get Eager and Konopka, that would be great, but people have to remember we have JM as head coach...

Old
04-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Rutabaga

Some people just never learn.

-Changing 7 or 8 players in the lineup, thats a big overhaul. And you need time to adjust. Considering that the UFA are not that better than the players we currently have...

-For god's sake, Eager, Konopka...we are already the most-penalized team in the league...do you want to break the record for the penalties/game ? Worse, with them playing less than 6mins/game, you need to ice somebody during these mins...and then, you'll cry because your best players are tired...

(2 of the 10 most penalized players in the league are playing for a playoff team.)

-Did you really expect somebody to take Gomez ? The only way we get rid of him is to sweeten the deal so much that we're going to be screwed anyway.
For Spacek, the case is different, but there is too many UFA defenseman to deal him. The teams have a choice, and obviously, they wont take him.

-The only players that are a good fit are Glencross and possibly Frolov.
We need a proven 3rd liner, able to play a solid defensive game, and score around 15-20 goals/year.

Laich is too strong to be played in that role, but is not better enough when we compare him to Kostitsyn.
Kopecky is not proven enough for me.

Frolov is a gamble, though, the number of options is just not there (Sturm, Ponikarovsky...not there, i told you)

Gagne, Tanguay, are missing too many games, they're not young, and they're not good enough to justify an overpayment (because UFA = Overpayment, dont forget that...), and they're too good to play where we need them.
Fleischmann wont leave Colorado, they have a lot of money available and he was injured in the winter, so i dont see why he would left.

For the D, Bieksa is playing in a stacked-team where he is the #4D in icetime. And he is injury-prone, too.

The only good option we have as a UFA is Brewer. And he might stay in Tampa.
The other players are not better than the 8 players we have under contract right now. Or not fitting (Pitkanen...)

Anyway, after seeing that the expectations are far too high, i'm ready to come back in July to see that everyone will cry because "we're too passive". Whereas we're in fact just doing right.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Looking at all those proposed lineups, I sure hope it'd be that easy to get rid of Gomez and Spacek... anyway, Laich would be of great interest to me for the forwards, he's no offensive dynamo, but a good complimentary player with size for our smallish forwards. On D, I want Pitkanen ! He's litterally a younger Hamrlik, with more mobility... and if we could get Eager and Konopka, that would be great, but people have to remember we have JM as head coach...
Pitkanen has the physical skills Hamrlik had but not the hockey sense, he's sort of like Bouwmeester, lots of physical tools but not as productive as he should be.

I think Wisniewski is better than Pitkanen.

Old
04-25-2011, 09:33 AM
vinzlol

Moen Gomez Gionta
Cammy Plek Halpern
Darche Eller White
Desharnais Pyatt Pouliot

YOU KNOW ITS TRUE

Old
04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
habsrule22

trade gomez, desharnais pouliot weber to florida for weiss and olesz. its 11 m out and 6 m in. Add a draft pick if need be. There had to something to the weiss rumors during season and florida has soured on olesz, so habs are getting a bad and long contract back. Florida gets 3 players with promise and a name player in gomez. Gomez contract after next year is cap friendly for a cap basement team.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.250m) /Weiss($ 3.1m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) /Brooks Laich ($3.500m)
olesz($3.100m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.800m) / Kopecky(2 m) / Moen($1.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) Ryan White ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.m) / Josh Gorges ($2.250m)
Spacek ($3.80m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,700; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): 1.7 m

Old
04-25-2011, 10:10 AM
neofury*

1) Gomez isn't getting buried in the minors. The sooner people realize this is delusion, the sooner we can have legitimate discussions about this.

2) Gomez isn't getting traded. The sooner people realize this is delusion, the sooner we can have legitimate discussions about this.

3) Nobody is going to take Spacek for a pick, the odds are slim to nil. Buying him out or moving him along with other assets I could see.

4) Front loading contracts no longer works in the NHL. They've adjusted the CBA in order to disallow these types of contracts after the Kovalchuk incident, so there's only really so much front loading one can do.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
trade gomez, desharnais pouliot weber to florida for weiss and olesz. its 11 m out and 6 m in. Add a draft pick if need be. There had to something to the weiss rumors during season and florida has soured on olesz, so habs are getting a bad and long contract back. Florida gets 3 players with promise and a name player in gomez. Gomez contract after next year is cap friendly for a cap basement team.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.250m) /Weiss($ 3.1m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) /Brooks Laich ($3.500m)
olesz($3.100m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.500m)
Mathieu Darche ($0.800m) / Kopecky(2 m) / Moen($1.500m)
Tom Pyatt ($0.500m) Ryan White ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.m) / Josh Gorges ($2.250m)
Spacek ($3.80m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

GOALTENDERS

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,700; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): 1.7 m
I know im new here ( not always getting who is being sarcastic and who isn't ) but did you forget to use one of these ?

Old
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
habsrule22

no weiss and olesz are there

Old
04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Halifaxhab*

Barring a Miracle, Gomez will be in Montreal next season. Gomez will become trade bait after next season.

Pouliot, many hate him, but he was brought in for Lats, and he is a Francophone, something that does help. He still has work to do and I feel he is a late bloomer that will be elite 3rd line (possibly solid 2nd liner).

The blueline will be the hardest place to make decisions. I feel Markov will sign a long term deal if offered one and Gauthier is smart enough to work out a deal that bring down the cap hit.

I would choose to keep Sopel over Gill as he plays a similar game to Gill's, but is a little more mobile and is a little younger, as well is RH, giving our D more balance. And he likely would sign for under 2M if offered a 2-3 year deal.

The cap is reportedly moving up in 2011-12 to 62M, so that only helps us.

Trades
Spacek. Some teams would have interest in him (ex NYI, CLB.) Move him for whatever you can get, likely would need a cap dump in return that we can bury in the minors. (at best coming ahead with a 4th or 5th rd pick)

UFA`s
The UFAs we should pursue are Ericsson, Laich and Kopecky.

Ericsson is a Dman type we need in Montreal. Big, strong, gritty in front of the net. A little more raw than Gill or Sopel, but much younger and more mobile. Sign him long term

Laich is big, solid, and loves to play in front of the net. He can also line up at any of the 3 fwd positions sign him on a 3-4 year deal

Kopecky is similar to Laich, can play a checking role and can fill in to a top 6 role when needed as well. He also knows what it takes to win as he has a cup ring. Sign for 2-3 years

Max Pacioretty 1.25M - Scott Gomez 7.357M - Brian Gionta 5M
Mike Cammalleri 6M - Tomas Plekanec 5M - Andrei Kostitsyn 3.5M
Benoit Pouliot 1M - Lars Eller 1.271M - Brooks Laich 3M
Travis Moen 1.5M - Thomas Kopecky 1.5M - Mathieu Darche 650K
David Desharnais 650K
Ryan White 650K

Andrei Markov 4.75M - James Wisniewski 3.75M
Jonathan Ericsson 3M - P.K. Subban 875K
Josh Gorges 2M - Brent Sopel 1.75M
Yannick Weber 650K

Carey Price 2.75M
Random Backup (up to 1M)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque 500K

Potential cap in 2011-12 62M
Cap hit 59.353
Cap Space 2.647M ( good for making moves in case of injury or to improve at deadline....or to use to bump up some salaries if needed)

So one trade to make some space for a UFA (as waiving Spacek saves only 100K on the cap), and two UFA signings while allowing several free agents to move on. Not a ton of movement compared to what many teams will need to do (or we`ve done in the past) keeping the core group together.

A healthy season would likely see Montreal as a top 3 seed and very capable of moving out of the East and challenging for a Cup

Last edited by Halifaxhab*: 04-25-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old
04-25-2011, 10:29 AM
cedouimet

vCash: 1040
Here's what i'd like To see as a line-up

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty / Brad Richards / Brian Gionta
Mike Cammalleri / Tomas Plekanec / Andrei Kostitsyn
Travis Moen / Lars Eller / Brooks Laich
Ryan White / David Desharnais / Zenon Konopka
Tom Pyatt / Ben Eager

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov / Josh Gorges
P.K. Subban / Hal Gill
Kevin Bieksa / James Wisniewski
Yanick Weber / Peter Harrold

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price / Erik Ersberg

Trade Gomez for future (wich become none) consideration or rot in the minor.

Closed Thread