HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

******* Mike Richards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2011, 06:12 PM
  #26
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Yes, it was Kaleta's fault for trying to hit Richards. It was Connolly's fault for not expecting a dirty hit. If Kaleta headhunts Richards on Tuesday it's obviously Richards' fault for not denying to play.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
  #27
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If Philly had good goaltending they would have already won this series. They are the far better team and dominate large stretchs of play because of it.


Plus we've lost key players like Sekera, Hecht, Pommer and now Connolly. It makes the mountain even higher.
I agree with this. If Philly has half way decent goaltending today is probably the clinching game for the Flyers.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
  #28
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,234
vCash: 500
Awards:
The Good -

- Stafford-Nieds-Ennis got a lot of offensive dash most of the game
- Getting up early -- even if it was crap netminding
- Miller kept them in it but couldn't close it out.

The Bad -

- Not able to close it out.
- The defense had a rough, rough night. All of them had blown coverages, give-aways, and general weak play. Gragnani's confidence clearly took a hit. Leopold in the jaw-guard had difficulties. Butler got out worked on a couple of goals....
- The stupid play prior to the Flyers odd-man rush into the zone followed by a lot of standing around by the guys who came back on the winning goal.


The Ugly -

- Richards escaping with only two after mashing Connolly's head into the glass. This isn't his first time with a head-shot on someone in the series and it will be a real test of league discipline if they decide to take action on him for a Game 7.
- Blowing a lead
- Boyes compete level. Don't want him back next year on the wing or in the middle.
- Ellis magic doesn't work when he's one of the guys giving up the odd-man rushes against. He was pretty forgettable other than causing two of the Flyer's best chances.
- The Flyers starting goaltending. What cheese. But the middle relief and closers have been good for the Philly's, err Flyers.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
  #29
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT
 
Fire Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Old Dominion State
Country: United States
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
Yes, it was Kaleta's fault for trying to hit Richards. It was Connolly's fault for not expecting a dirty hit. If Kaleta headhunts Richards on Tuesday it's obviously Richards' fault for not denying to play.
yup, exactly. Someone body-slam Briere into the boards Game 7, it's okay if he gets hurt, he's gotta expect those kinds of things right?

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
  #30
umbertovanek
Registered User
 
umbertovanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Strasbourg, France
Country: Austria
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Connolly went into the boards like a limp jellyfish. Richards rode him off the play.
I can understand why you'd want to curse Richards' name but you've got to agree at least to a degree that Connolly didnt do much to protect himself.
Its not like this is the first time Connolly hasnt protected himself in the corners either.
Sorry, but this is ridiculous. You wanna blame a guy for being injured on a dirty play by an opposing player? You really think Connolly is not gonna protect himself as much as he can? I cannot take you seriously.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
  #31
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
yup, exactly. Someone body-slam Briere into the boards Game 7, it's okay if he gets hurt, he's gotta expect those kinds of things right?
Has Briere taken a big hit all series? I can't think of any.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
  #32
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Briere is haunting us in this series...in case anyone hasn't noticed. Is that 5 goals for him now?

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
  #33
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
I've seen a lot of shots at Goose and I think some posters need to keep some perspective.

Goose is a 3rd/4th line center being forced to play 1st line minutes (he is averaging over 19min a night) in this series. In many cases he is out against Briere's line.

I'm not exactly sure why posters are getting so mad at him or what exactly they are expecting from him. They rip him and say he is a 4th liner. Then get mad that he isn't dominating playing in 1st line minutes. Its bizarre since by their own attacks he should be playing far worse than he is.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
  #34
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I've seen a lot of shots at Goose and I think some posters need to keep some perspective.

Goose is a 3rd/4th line center being forced to play 1st line minutes (he is averaging over 19min a night) in this series. In many cases he is out against Briere's line.

'Im not exactly sure why posters are getting sdo mad at him or what exaclty they are expecting from him. They rip him and say he is a 4th liner. Then get mad that he isn't dominating playing 1st line minutes. Its bizarre.
He's offensively handicapped and it's frustrating to watch at times. For me, that's all it is.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:21 PM
  #35
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
Briere is haunting us in this series...in case anyone hasn't noticed. Is that 5 goals for him now?
Its making my hate for Quinn/Golisano rekindle to its warmest levels



Also losing the two vet defensive dmen that could be helping us hold the leads is also due to those asshats.


Thank you for saving the franchise. But dd you really have to damage the team like that before you left?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
  #36
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 10,911
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I've seen a lot of shots at Goose and I think some posters need to keep some perspective.

Goose is a 3rd/4th line center being forced to play 1st line minutes (he is averaging over 19min a night) in this series. In many cases he is out against Briere's line.

I'm not exactly sure why posters are getting so mad at him or what exactly they are expecting from him. They rip him and say he is a 4th liner. Then get mad that he isn't dominating playing in 1st line minutes. Its bizarre since by their own attacks he should be playing far owrse than he is.
For me, at least, it's that he keeps making the same mental errors. Mishandling the puck, rifling the pass, being out of position. You don't need 1st line skills to do those.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
  #37
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Has Briere taken a big hit all series? I can't think of any.
Hasn't taken a big hit but hes been beaten and battered all series long by Tyler and I like it alot.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
  #38
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its making my hate for Quinn/Golisano rekindle to its warmest levels



Also losing the two vet defensive dmen that could be helping us hold the leads is also due to those asshats.


Thank you for saving the franchise. But dd you really have to damage the team like that before you left?
It would be nice to have a veteran star who brings that type of energy and production. Vanek is producing in this series no doubt, but when he's not scoring - he's near useless.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
  #39
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
I just keep reminding myself that this is still Quinn's team. I'm proud of what they're doing and like the fight in them to take this to seven games, but honestly I think I'm more intrigued at what happens with them from this point forward with Pegula more than what's going to happen in these playoffs.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
  #40
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Good -

- Stafford-Nieds-Ennis got a lot of offensive dash most of the game
- Getting up early -- even if it was crap netminding
- Miller kept them in it but couldn't close it out.
I'd add in Gerbe's continued play and large chunks of the game by Vanek (although he got burned on the 2nd and OT goals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Bad -

- Not able to close it out.
- The defense had a rough, rough night. All of them had blown coverages, give-aways, and general weak play. Gragnani's confidence clearly took a hit. Leopold in the jaw-guard had difficulties. Butler got out worked on a couple of goals....
- The stupid play prior to the Flyers odd-man rush into the zone followed by a lot of standing around by the guys who came back on the winning goal.
This team showed all season a weakness in defending leads and killer instinct - so it's not a total surprise. And, regarding the defense, Montador has been a liability for the past month and was awful today as well IMO.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Ugly -

- Richards escaping with only two after mashing Connolly's head into the glass. This isn't his first time with a head-shot on someone in the series and it will be a real test of league discipline if they decide to take action on him for a Game 7.
- Blowing a lead
- Boyes compete level. Don't want him back next year on the wing or in the middle.
- Ellis magic doesn't work when he's one of the guys giving up the odd-man rushes against. He was pretty forgettable other than causing two of the Flyer's best chances.
- The Flyers starting goaltending. What cheese. But the middle relief and closers have been good for the Philly's, err Flyers.
The Boyes situation is becoming as disgusting in this year's playoffs as Torres was in last year's playoff - and you nailed it: for all the talk Boyes gave the media about anxiously looking forward to the playoffs, he seems content with the "one-and-done" plays. He gives up on a lot of plays the second he misses the net, loses the puck or gets beaten positionally by another player.

And how can NBC's TV coverage/announcing not make your "Ugly" list?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
  #41
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
It would be nice to have a veteran star who brings that type of energy and production. Vanek is producing in this series no doubt, but when he's not scoring - he's near useless.
Roy could be that for us, but I'm really holding my breath on that one.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
  #42
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
G-
Nieds
Ennis
Gerbe

B-
Refs, no major for boarding? Okay.
Miller- OVERRATED.
Butler
MontaDUR

U-
Not burying chances.
Refs
Hartnell scoring.............

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
  #43
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,234
vCash: 500
Awards:
I have to commend the players these days for not being so frustrated with the nut-spearing and this latest bit of cheapness that they don't whack someone in the ankle with a two-handed slash...


Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
  #44
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganie View Post
If Kaleta headhunts Richards on Tuesday.....
Don't worry his elbow will be ready and waiting

I really like the Sabres, your a tough team, but lets face it, if the Flyers had any goaltending you would be playing golf right about now.

That said, bring it Tues night, we might have a 4th string for you to shoot on.

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
  #45
Arular
Registered User
 
Arular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Connolly went into the boards like a limp jellyfish. Richards rode him off the play.
I can understand why you'd want to curse Richards' name but you've got to agree at least to a degree that Connolly didnt do much to protect himself.
Its not like this is the first time Connolly hasnt protected himself in the corners either.
And it's not like this is the first time Richards has thrown a dirty hit either.

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
  #46
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 500
Also, like I said about this team have ZERO killer instinct. You saw it again today. ****ing brutal.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:28 PM
  #47
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,234
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'd add in Gerbe's continued play and large chunks of the game by Vanek (although he got burned on the 2nd and OT goals)



This team showed all season a weakness in defending leads and killer instinct - so it's not a total surprise. And, regarding the defense, Montador has been a liability for the past month and was awful today as well IMO.




The Boyes situation is becoming as disgusting in this year's playoffs as Torres was in last year's playoff - and you nailed it: for all the talk Boyes gave the media about anxiously looking forward to the playoffs, he seems content with the "one-and-done" plays. He gives up on a lot of plays the second he misses the net, loses the puck or gets beaten positionally by another player.

And how can NBC's TV coverage/announcing not make your "Ugly" list?
It's expected. "Matt" Ellis repeatedly. Not noticing when the Sabres had been called for a second period penalty until after the faceoff -- despite showing Pronger coming onto the ice and the amount of chirps at the refs from the crowd. Poor but expected.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
  #48
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It's expected. "Matt" Ellis repeatedly. Not noticing when the Sabres had been called for a second period penalty until after the faceoff -- despite showing Pronger coming onto the ice and the amount of chirps at the refs from the crowd. Poor but expected.
And they kept calling Vanek Stafford.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:30 PM
  #49
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I just keep reminding myself that this is still Quinn's team. I'm proud of what they're doing and like the fight in them to take this to seven games, but honestly I think I'm more intrigued at what happens with them from this point forward with Pegula more than what's going to happen in these playoffs.
I know it's a defeatist mindset to have but I looked at this year's playoff push and whatever series the Sabres entered as basically bonus time and good experience for the younger players - this current roster isn't capable of winning it all this year.

If the makeover over the summer that we're all hoping for and expecting happens, next year is the year to really get worked up about their Cup chances.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 06:31 PM
  #50
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I have to commend the players these days for not being so frustrated with the nut-spearing and this latest bit of cheapness that they don't whack someone in the ankle with a two-handed slash...
Great Video... say who won that one

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.