HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations *Part 2*

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 12:59 PM
bubba5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
According to the renderings it does look like the Devils.

It just doesn't have the extra round of screens at the top like the Devils. I can do without that anyway.

In the link I gave, new board/jumbotron is "In Arena Bowl" section.

I like it because it's basically four huge HD screens. With a rotating out town scoreboard.

Everyone in the arena will be able to see it.
Except for people behind the BRIDGES!

Old
05-03-2011, 04:50 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Took some more pictures today since I was in the city. Entire lobby is now closed off outside of a temporary box office set up where the merchandise stands would be on the gates C + D side of the lobby.

Last edited by NYRFAN218: 05-03-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old
05-03-2011, 07:39 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

MSG finally updated their transformation site saying that the Garden is closed for the summer (thanks, had no idea.) Says to check on the site throughout the offseason so I imagine they'll be putting pictures up.

http://msgtransformation.com/Construction.aspx

Old
05-04-2011, 07:41 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

The Bell Centre currently has the best scoreboard in the league. Big, Wide and uncluttered by unnecessary and excess rings, ads and things of the sort. I can only dream of having a similar one. From the 400s it may be better to watch the game off of the board.

Old
05-04-2011, 08:07 AM
3Four3

Why couldn't they just build an MSG5? This is, after all, the fourth building to be called Madison Square Garden, where the building isn't located on Madison Avenue, it's not a square...and I think the only garden close by is the Olive Garden.

Old
05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Why couldn't they just build an MSG5? This is, after all, the fourth building to be called Madison Square Garden, where the building isn't located on Madison Avenue, it's not a square...and I think the only garden close by is the Olive Garden.
MSG I & II were located on the present site of madison square park on madison & 26th, hence the name MSG. When the third building was built the name was already popular and recognizable where they decided to keep the name. The name of the building has become so burned into the minds of the American sports fan Dolan could move the home arena of the Knicks/Rangers to the Bronx and the name will stay the same.

Old
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
MSG I & II were located on the present site of madison square park on madison & 26th, hence the name MSG. When the third building was built the name was already popular and recognizable where they decided to keep the name. The name of the building has become so burned into the minds of the American sports fan Dolan could move the home arena of the Knicks/Rangers to the Bronx and the name will stay the same.
I am aware of the history revolving MSG. I think it's just stupid that they are going through all this useless hassle when they could easily pick a place somewhere in the city and start building a better, modern and more accommodating arena. They could start the 2011-2012 in this current MSG while building the new one elsewhere and have it ready for the 2012-2013 season.

It's just mind boggling: No new baseball stadium in Manhattan, no new football stadium...but we get a face-lift for a fossil of a building.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I am aware of the history revolving MSG. I think it's just stupid that they are going through all this useless hassle when they could easily pick a place somewhere in the city and start building a better, modern and more accommodating arena. They could start the 2011-2012 in this current MSG while building the new one elsewhere and have it ready for the 2012-2013 season.

It's just mind boggling: No new baseball stadium in Manhattan, no new football stadium...but we get a face-lift for a fossil of a building.
I'm no expert on the matter, but i believe they wanted to move and build MSG5.

The City/State wouldn't have it.

They wanted to move across the street to the Farley Building.

http://plannyc.org/taxonomy/term/717

The only thing i dislike about the renovation is the stupid "sky bridge".

Old
05-04-2011, 09:13 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:

One of the major selling points of the arena is it's location. Smack dab in the middle of the glitz and glamour. Sure he could build a new arena somewhere else but there is no room anywhere in midtown where there'd be the same exposure.

On the contrary I like where the Barclays center is being built, across from Atlantic Terminal in the middle of downtown Brooklyn, a massively developing area. Very Avant-garde, artsy and up in coming. The developers see the potential in that plot of land, and the arena itself further adds to the appeal. In 20 years 11201, 11217 & the surrounding zip codes will have the same look and feel as midtown. Glass & steel everywhere mixed in with the old industrial warehouses and factories. It's certainly one of NYC's more hipster-esque areas. I suspect the Islanders will eventually play there, or at least consider it. It's very convenient to their fanbase as well with Atlantic Terminal being more accessible on the LIRR than Nassau mausoleum.

Last edited by ChipAyten: 05-04-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old
05-04-2011, 09:25 AM
3Four3

Quote:
One of the major selling points of the arena is it's location. Smack dab in the middle of the glitz and glamour. Sure he could build a new arena somewhere else but there is no room anywhere in midtown where there'd be the same exposure. Though I like where the Barclays center is being built, across from Atlantic Terminal in the middle of downtown Brooklyn, a massively developing area. In 20 years 11201, 11217 & the surrounding zip codes will have the same look and feel as midtown. Glass & steel everywhere mixed in with the old industrial warehouses and factories. It's certainly one of NYC's more hipster-esque areas.
Aside from places like Greenpoint/Williamsburg and Red Hook?

I for one don't care about the glitz and glamor of midtown. Wherever they would have built in the city, people would follow because, right now, Dolan successfully made sure that the only teams right in the city are the Knicks and Rangers.

No Jets.

No Yankees.

Advantage: Dolan.

And wherever it is they chose to build, they'd throw in new hotels, spruce up that area's local transportation - probably just remodel - open up new shops, bars, restaurants.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:33 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

New arena = no tax break. Plus even if Dolan was legitimately thinking of moving across the street, the city took way too long to get the project going (because I believe the city was actually on board) and prices sky rocketed so Dolan backed out.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
New arena = no tax break. Plus even if Dolan was legitimately thinking of moving across the street, the city took way too long to get the project going (because I believe the city was actually on board) and prices sky rocketed so Dolan backed out.
**** Bloomberg!

Old
05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Aside from places like Greenpoint/Williamsburg and Red Hook?

Have you seen the change in demographic in these neighborhoods? All the local underprivileged black and hispanic residents have been driven out. Trees are being planted, health food & organic grocery shops and high priced condos. The change is slow but it is happening.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:20 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Have you seen the change in demographic in these neighborhoods? All the local underprivileged black and hispanic residents have been driven out. Trees are being planted, health food & organic grocery shops and high priced condos. The change is slow but it is happening.
Red Hook, while maybe not as vast, is also seeing a demographic change.

But I would go as far as saying Greenpoint/Williamsburg probably takes the cake: The number of condominiums, the bars/restaurants that have opened in a span of 10 years, as well as their little shops and tattoo parlors. The number of warehouses, apartment buildings, small homes being sold off is just crazy.

A lot of Poles have/are leaving Greenpoint and settling in Queens: Maspeth and Ridgewood come to mind. Little Warsaw is not the same like it once was back in the 80s/90s.

Williamsburg was almost nothing but Hasidic Jews. That's no longer the case: There they are, Hasidic Jew and guys in tight jeans showing off their moose knuckles.

And there is more to be planned along the waterway.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:03 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
One of the major selling points of the arena is it's location. Smack dab in the middle of the glitz and glamour. Sure he could build a new arena somewhere else but there is no room anywhere in midtown where there'd be the same exposure.

On the contrary I like where the Barclays center is being built, across from Atlantic Terminal in the middle of downtown Brooklyn, a massively developing area. Very Avant-garde, artsy and up in coming. The developers see the potential in that plot of land, and the arena itself further adds to the appeal. In 20 years 11201, 11217 & the surrounding zip codes will have the same look and feel as midtown. Glass & steel everywhere mixed in with the old industrial warehouses and factories. It's certainly one of NYC's more hipster-esque areas. I suspect the Islanders will eventually play there, or at least consider it. It's very convenient to their fanbase as well with Atlantic Terminal being more accessible on the LIRR than Nassau mausoleum.
Barclays Center would probably be the ideal place for the Isles to move but the arena isn't gonna be hockey compatible so that's pretty much out of the equation.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Barclays Center would probably be the ideal place for the Isles to move but the arena isn't gonna be hockey compatible so that's pretty much out of the equation.
An off-season renovation could change that. I don't see why they wouldn't just build the plumbing for it. Does their crystal ball tell them they'll never have a use for an ice surface? I'm pretty sure it's a marginal investment to attract future on ice events as well as an NHL or maybe even AHL team. It makes no sense for a modern arena to not have the capabilities for both.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:35 PM
PacManNJD
Legend

Quote:
I still have absolutely no idea what they were thinking there... Having the Isles in the five boroughs could be a good thing. (Although Rangers fans might outnumber Isles fans, even more so than they do out at the Coliseum. haha)

Anyway, as a Devils fan with a love for NYC, I'm actually really curious as to how this will turn out... Admittedly, I'm cringing as I type this, but I find it hard not to admire the atmosphere at the Garden. Good to see them bringing that building into the 21st century while preserving the old digs.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:44 PM
CH2

This has probably been answered already, but why are they putting a temporary roof on?

Old
05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
PacManNJD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
This has probably been answered already, but why are they putting a temporary roof on?
Perhaps they're rebuilding the roof?

Old
05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
I still have absolutely no idea what they were thinking there... Having the Isles in the five boroughs could be a good thing. (Although Rangers fans might outnumber Isles fans, even more so than they do out at the Coliseum. haha)

Anyway, as a Devils fan with a love for NYC, I'm actually really curious as to how this will turn out... Admittedly, I'm cringing as I type this, but I find it hard not to admire the atmosphere at the Garden. Good to see them bringing that building into the 21st century while preserving the old digs.
It's pretty stupid, it would be ideal for Prokhorov to buy the team and have them fill dates in that arena. I think it would be a great location for the Isles too since the LIRR is right across the street as well as every other train that runs through Brooklyn. Everyone on Long Island can still get to games and they can possibly grow the fanbase in the city.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:03 PM
PacManNJD
Legend

Quote:
It's pretty stupid, it would be ideal for Prokhorov to buy the team and have them fill dates in that arena. I think it would be a great location for the Isles too since the LIRR is right across the street as well as every other train that runs through Brooklyn. Everyone on Long Island can still get to games and they can possibly grow the fanbase in the city.
True words.

Yeah, from what I've seen, there's definitely a fanbase in the city for the Isles that could help fill the seats at the beginning.

Whenever I go to a Devils/Isles game in Newark and take the PATH to Hoboken after the game, the 500 or 600 NYI fans that show up at the Prudential Center all seem to make their way to the World Trade Center train.

Personally, I could see the Islanders getting a new arena adjacent or near Citi Field, but with the Wilpons being in deep ****, I think that's dead.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Wouldn't the Rangers have the right to refuse (or at least get a huge payout) to allow the Islanders to move into the NYC? Can't imagine they'd be thrilled by the idea of another NHL team within a 20 minute train ride from the Garden.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Wouldn't the Rangers have the right to refuse (or at least get a huge payout) to allow the Islanders to move into the NYC? Can't imagine they'd be thrilled by the idea of another NHL team within a 20 minute train ride from the Garden.
The Islanders already payed a territorial fee when they first came in 72 so probably not. They could probably move right next to MSG if they wanted to.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
The Islanders already payed a territorial fee when they first came in 72 so probably not. They could probably move right next to MSG if they wanted to.
Doubtful.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
nyrmetros

I believe the territorial fee has already been paid. It's just a question of do the Isles want more fights with Rangers fans than already occur.

Closed Thread