HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations *Part 2*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2011, 02:24 AM
  #101
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The Islanders already payed a territorial fee when they first came in 72 so probably not. They could probably move right next to MSG if they wanted to.
theres an agreement i have to find it....

edit: i did. below

GregNYR19 is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 02:28 AM
  #102
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,060
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The Islanders already payed a territorial fee when they first came in 72 so probably not. They could probably move right next to MSG if they wanted to.
please read...theres also alot more info on this matter too but i found this 1st:

http://173.201.187.68/professional/s...a-disadvantage


Last edited by GregNYR19: 05-05-2011 at 02:34 AM.
GregNYR19 is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 07:20 AM
  #103
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Country: England
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Madison Square Garden is not on the New York City property tax roll and has not be paying property taxes for nearly three decades (1982) thanks to politicians led by then Mayor Ed Koch who fell for the line that the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers could not compete for players with other teams because of the property tax burden. New York City and state elected officials gave the Garden a property tax exemption.
This is the biggest injustice of all.

When push comes to shove should the Isles' move to Brooklyn? Yes. Will they? It'll be one hell of a battle.

ChipAyten is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
  #104
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,109
vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
An off-season renovation could change that. I don't see why they wouldn't just build the plumbing for it. Does their crystal ball tell them they'll never have a use for an ice surface? I'm pretty sure it's a marginal investment to attract future on ice events as well as an NHL or maybe even AHL team. It makes no sense for a modern arena to not have the capabilities for both.
It's not the plumbing that's the problem, the design doesn't have enough room for the rink. At MSG the basketball end court seats are flip away so the ice can fit but at the Barclay's Toilet Arena those seats are permanent

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
  #105
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Country: England
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
It's not the plumbing that's the problem, the design doesn't have enough room for the rink. At MSG the basketball end court seats are flip away so the ice can fit but at the Barclay's Toilet Arena those seats are permanent
Nothing is permanent, if one day they wanted to house a hockey team those seats bolted into the concrete can be taken out and temporary bleacher style chairs can be added. Looking at the design though it doesn't appear to be a 200ft rectangle though. But it's nothing an offseason renovation cant change.

ChipAyten is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
  #106
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,109
vCash: 364
"When Ratner spiked Gehry's original arena plan for a cheaper design, the size of the arena's playing area was a casualty, and, as planned, it's no longer wide enough to host pro hockey games."

"too many seats would have to be removed to accommodate a hockey pad and attendance would be limited to less than 15,000 and it's doubtful the NHL would approve an arena with that small a capacity."

http://beta.local.yahoo.com/ny-islan...ibutor-network

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
  #107
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
This is the biggest injustice of all.

When push comes to shove should the Isles' move to Brooklyn? Yes. Will they? It'll be one hell of a battle.
But, it won't happen--as the article points out the Rangers still have veto rights and the league still has control over where teams are allowed to move. Plus, the new arena is not wide enough to put enough seats in for hockey.

As a long time resident of the area--wish they weren't building it.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
  #108
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,109
vCash: 364
I don't get why people complain about an arena getting built, Atlantic Yards is already a heavily trafficked area it's just more of the same. I just wish they weren't building a really bad 70's-style vomit-colored design







What an eyesore, what NBA player is going to voluntarily want to go play there

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
  #109
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
Eyesore?

Have you seen Xanadu? I throw up in my mouth every time I drive by.

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
  #110
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I don't get why people complain about an arena getting built, Atlantic Yards is already a heavily trafficked area it's just more of the same. I just wish they weren't building a really bad 70's-style vomit-colored design







What an eyesore, what NBA player is going to voluntarily want to go play there
Someone who wants to play a subway ride away from Manhattan? Plus, it doesn't look that bad. Although I don't understand the brown.

WhipNash27 is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
  #111
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,403
vCash: 500
Yeah, of ALL the reasons to play or not play somewhere I have to imagine the architectural design (of a brand new facility) would be near the bottom of the list.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 12:44 PM
  #112
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 500
The color brown pays homage to all the wonderful brownstones they tore down to build this dump.

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
  #113
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,109
vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Eyesore?

Have you seen Xanadu? I throw up in my mouth every time I drive by.
Agree 100%, but they announced this week that the owners of Mall of America bought the project and will be pumping in $2 billion to finish the job. That includes completely re-doing the exterior, making the place more practical, and adding new attractions like an indoor waterpark


http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...n_dream_f.html

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
  #114
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
The color brown pays homage to all the wonderful brownstones they tore down to build this dump.
Hate to break it to you, but very few brownstones were torn down in the area. There are plenty of reasons to hate the project, but that's not the primary one.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
  #115
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,390
vCash: 2550
I didn't read the past few posts. If you guys were wondering if the Islanders can move to the Barclay's Center if they make a rink, then yes. The territorial fee lets them move to anywhere on Long Island, including Queens and Brooklyn with no additional fee.

__________________
Kane One is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  #116
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I didn't read the past few posts. If you guys were wondering if the Islanders can move to the Barclay's Center if they make a rink, then yes. The territorial fee lets them move to anywhere on Long Island, including Queens and Brooklyn with no additional fee.
Need proof of that--the article cited above directly contradicts that position. Also, the league has to approve the move as well.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
  #117
PacManNJD
Legend
 
PacManNJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 201
Country: United States
Posts: 18,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Eyesore?

Have you seen Xanadu? I throw up in my mouth every time I drive by.
I thank God every time I pass by the Meadowlands and see that **** that the Devils got out of there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Agree 100%, but they announced this week that the owners of Mall of America bought the project and will be pumping in $2 billion to finish the job. That includes completely re-doing the exterior, making the place more practical, and adding new attractions like an indoor waterpark


http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...n_dream_f.html
Awesome.

PacManNJD is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
  #118
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,390
vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Need proof of that--the article cited above directly contradicts that position. Also, the league has to approve the move as well.
Quote:
When the Islanders joined the NHL in 1972, the team paid the New York Rangers a $4.5 million fee to move to Nassau County, L.I., according to The Times, but in 1986 the agreement was amended to allow the Islanders to move anywhere within Queens, Kings, Nassau or Suffolk counties.
http://yournabe.com/articles/2010/05...t_20100520.txt

Kane One is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 02:22 PM
  #119
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Thanks for digging that article up--although it doesn't cite a source about the agreement being amended in 1986. And, of course, the Wilpon's no longer have ability to be part of the solution--thanks to Bernie.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
  #120
Kane One
HFB Partner
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,390
vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Thanks for digging that article up--although it doesn't cite a source about the agreement being amended in 1986. And, of course, the Wilpon's no longer have ability to be part of the solution--thanks to Bernie.
Yea I know. That just so happens to be where Wikipedia sent me when I looked up where they got the source from.

Kane One is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
  #121
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 9,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I don't get why people complain about an arena getting built, Atlantic Yards is already a heavily trafficked area it's just more of the same. I just wish they weren't building a really bad 70's-style vomit-colored design







What an eyesore, what NBA player is going to voluntarily want to go play there

I thought I was the only one who thinks it's ugly.

I know I'm a Ranger and Knick fan but MSG renovation looks a 100 times better/impressive.
There's nothing that looks great on the inside either. Typical arena with exposed pipes they call a ceiling. lol

Anyone who isn't a Net fan would probably agree.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
  #122
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,757
vCash: 500
I live in Brooklyn and i've never seen the Barclay's Center.

Good thing, too.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Old
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
  #123
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
What ever happened to that project that was supposed to happen where the chop shops are next to Citi Field? There was supposed to be a convention center (large enough house an NHL team), malls, living, schools.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
  #124
3Four3
Registered User
 
3Four3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What ever happened to that project that was supposed to happen where the chop shops are next to Citi Field? There was supposed to be a convention center (large enough house an NHL team), malls, living, schools.
Those owners are saying that the price that was offered for them to move was inadequate, while the ones who are offering them to move are saying that their asking price is outrageous.

3Four3 is offline  
Old
05-05-2011, 04:32 PM
  #125
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Thanks.

Shame. That area should be fixed. You ever go through there? Its like a ghetto in Baghdad.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.