HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations *Part 2*

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2011, 02:24 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The Islanders already payed a territorial fee when they first came in 72 so probably not. They could probably move right next to MSG if they wanted to.
theres an agreement i have to find it....

edit: i did. below

Old
05-05-2011, 02:28 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The Islanders already payed a territorial fee when they first came in 72 so probably not. They could probably move right next to MSG if they wanted to.
please read...theres also alot more info on this matter too but i found this 1st:

http://173.201.187.68/professional/s...a-disadvantage

Last edited by GregNYR19: 05-05-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old
05-05-2011, 07:20 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Madison Square Garden is not on the New York City property tax roll and has not be paying property taxes for nearly three decades (1982) thanks to politicians led by then Mayor Ed Koch who fell for the line that the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers could not compete for players with other teams because of the property tax burden. New York City and state elected officials gave the Garden a property tax exemption.
This is the biggest injustice of all.

When push comes to shove should the Isles' move to Brooklyn? Yes. Will they? It'll be one hell of a battle.

Old
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
An off-season renovation could change that. I don't see why they wouldn't just build the plumbing for it. Does their crystal ball tell them they'll never have a use for an ice surface? I'm pretty sure it's a marginal investment to attract future on ice events as well as an NHL or maybe even AHL team. It makes no sense for a modern arena to not have the capabilities for both.
It's not the plumbing that's the problem, the design doesn't have enough room for the rink. At MSG the basketball end court seats are flip away so the ice can fit but at the Barclay's Toilet Arena those seats are permanent

Old
05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
It's not the plumbing that's the problem, the design doesn't have enough room for the rink. At MSG the basketball end court seats are flip away so the ice can fit but at the Barclay's Toilet Arena those seats are permanent
Nothing is permanent, if one day they wanted to house a hockey team those seats bolted into the concrete can be taken out and temporary bleacher style chairs can be added. Looking at the design though it doesn't appear to be a 200ft rectangle though. But it's nothing an offseason renovation cant change.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

"When Ratner spiked Gehry's original arena plan for a cheaper design, the size of the arena's playing area was a casualty, and, as planned, it's no longer wide enough to host pro hockey games."

"too many seats would have to be removed to accommodate a hockey pad and attendance would be limited to less than 15,000 and it's doubtful the NHL would approve an arena with that small a capacity."

http://beta.local.yahoo.com/ny-islan...ibutor-network

Old
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
This is the biggest injustice of all.

When push comes to shove should the Isles' move to Brooklyn? Yes. Will they? It'll be one hell of a battle.
But, it won't happen--as the article points out the Rangers still have veto rights and the league still has control over where teams are allowed to move. Plus, the new arena is not wide enough to put enough seats in for hockey.

As a long time resident of the area--wish they weren't building it.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

I don't get why people complain about an arena getting built, Atlantic Yards is already a heavily trafficked area it's just more of the same. I just wish they weren't building a really bad 70's-style vomit-colored design

What an eyesore, what NBA player is going to voluntarily want to go play there

Old
05-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Eyesore?

Have you seen Xanadu? I throw up in my mouth every time I drive by.

05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I don't get why people complain about an arena getting built, Atlantic Yards is already a heavily trafficked area it's just more of the same. I just wish they weren't building a really bad 70's-style vomit-colored design

Someone who wants to play a subway ride away from Manhattan? Plus, it doesn't look that bad. Although I don't understand the brown.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, of ALL the reasons to play or not play somewhere I have to imagine the architectural design (of a brand new facility) would be near the bottom of the list.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:44 PM
nyrmetros

The color brown pays homage to all the wonderful brownstones they tore down to build this dump.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Eyesore?

Agree 100%, but they announced this week that the owners of Mall of America bought the project and will be pumping in $2 billion to finish the job. That includes completely re-doing the exterior, making the place more practical, and adding new attractions like an indoor waterpark

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...n_dream_f.html

Old
05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
The color brown pays homage to all the wonderful brownstones they tore down to build this dump.
Hate to break it to you, but very few brownstones were torn down in the area. There are plenty of reasons to hate the project, but that's not the primary one.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2550
I didn't read the past few posts. If you guys were wondering if the Islanders can move to the Barclay's Center if they make a rink, then yes. The territorial fee lets them move to anywhere on Long Island, including Queens and Brooklyn with no additional fee.

05-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I didn't read the past few posts. If you guys were wondering if the Islanders can move to the Barclay's Center if they make a rink, then yes. The territorial fee lets them move to anywhere on Long Island, including Queens and Brooklyn with no additional fee.
Need proof of that--the article cited above directly contradicts that position. Also, the league has to approve the move as well.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
PacManNJD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Eyesore?

I thank God every time I pass by the Meadowlands and see that **** that the Devils got out of there...

Quote:
Agree 100%, but they announced this week that the owners of Mall of America bought the project and will be pumping in $2 billion to finish the job. That includes completely re-doing the exterior, making the place more practical, and adding new attractions like an indoor waterpark

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...n_dream_f.html
Awesome.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Need proof of that--the article cited above directly contradicts that position. Also, the league has to approve the move as well.
Quote:
When the Islanders joined the NHL in 1972, the team paid the New York Rangers a $4.5 million fee to move to Nassau County, L.I., according to The Times, but in 1986 the agreement was amended to allow the Islanders to move anywhere within Queens, Kings, Nassau or Suffolk counties.
http://yournabe.com/articles/2010/05...t_20100520.txt

Old
05-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Thanks for digging that article up--although it doesn't cite a source about the agreement being amended in 1986. And, of course, the Wilpon's no longer have ability to be part of the solution--thanks to Bernie.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Thanks for digging that article up--although it doesn't cite a source about the agreement being amended in 1986. And, of course, the Wilpon's no longer have ability to be part of the solution--thanks to Bernie.
Yea I know. That just so happens to be where Wikipedia sent me when I looked up where they got the source from.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

I thought I was the only one who thinks it's ugly.

I know I'm a Ranger and Knick fan but MSG renovation looks a 100 times better/impressive.
There's nothing that looks great on the inside either. Typical arena with exposed pipes they call a ceiling. lol

Anyone who isn't a Net fan would probably agree.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I live in Brooklyn and i've never seen the Barclay's Center.

Good thing, too.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What ever happened to that project that was supposed to happen where the chop shops are next to Citi Field? There was supposed to be a convention center (large enough house an NHL team), malls, living, schools.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What ever happened to that project that was supposed to happen where the chop shops are next to Citi Field? There was supposed to be a convention center (large enough house an NHL team), malls, living, schools.
Those owners are saying that the price that was offered for them to move was inadequate, while the ones who are offering them to move are saying that their asking price is outrageous.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Thanks.

Shame. That area should be fixed. You ever go through there? Its like a ghetto in Baghdad.

Closed Thread