HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller on Richards "Mass Murder?"

Old
04-25-2011, 11:10 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Video of the hit.

Regular season that's probably two games.

Considering the crack down the NHL has had recently about dirty hits in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a suspension. However, given that Richards got away with the hit on Booth, which, IMHO, was much worse than this one, I don't see the NHL doing anything. Guess we'll find out in a bit.
You do know that Blindside hits weren't illegal when Richards hit Booth right?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Guess we'll find out in a bit.
It was already reported they aren't even looking at it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:11 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Richards deserved his 2 minute penalty, nothing more.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26329

"The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5)."

Considering the rule states that it's impact with the boards, not the intent that it is based, it should have been 5 and a game misconduct. I don't think Richards will get suspended for it, but by the rules, its a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.

Last edited by vcv: 04-25-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: qdp
TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Richards didn't get away with anything though. He got a 2 minute penalty and his team had to kill a 5 on 3.

I was explaining to a previous poster why Miller made the Mass Murder comment. I don't recall saying anything about Richards getting away with something.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
fightclubber25

i love how richards actually grabs connolly to insure that its a direct hit from behind because it almost looks like connolly was turning into him then right before contact richards reaches out with his right hand and grabs connollys right shoulder to prevent him from turning away from the boards.. then he continues to nail him in the name plate and extend his arms until connollys face smashes off the boards.

richards is such a clean player though, i mean hes a captain right.. cant suspend him!

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:21 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Richards didn't get away with anything though. He got a 2 minute penalty and his team had to kill a 5 on 3.
He finished the game and got the primary assists on the GTG and the GWG. He got away with it. He should have gotten 5 and a game. Period. But, since the NHL just signed a 10 year contract with the owner of the Flyers, there's no way that happens in an elimination game involving that team. No way the play gets reviewed.

Hits to Sabres are not suspendable, it's in the Rulebook. Canadian Media will then trot out every lame excuse in the book to back it up.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't call Connolly for Diving or Delay of Game, to be honest.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
You do know that Blindside hits weren't illegal when Richards hit Booth right?
But AMAZINGLY nobody scrambled too create a rule after Richard's did it, making it "okay" for him to do it. But as soon as Cooke does it: "OH NO THAT KIND OF HOCKEY IS UNACCEPTABLE IN THE NHL WE WANT OUR PLAYERS TO BE SAFE OUT THERE!"

Double standard then. Double standard now.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:28 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26329

"The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5)."

Considering the rule states that it's impact with the boards, not the intent that it is based, it should have been 5 and a game misconduct. I don't think Richards will get suspended for it, but by the rules, its a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.
"13:57
PHI
Mike Richards : Boarding - 2 min
"

The refs obviously decided, based on the gegree of violence (hardly any) that it was a a 2 minute board and not a 5 minute board. And everyone besides some Sabres fans agree with that.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Kassian54

Fair call would have been 5 min penalty but I don't think they going to give him any game misconduct. So fingers cross that Roy would be our 1# center on game 7.

Kassian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
joshjull

Quote:
PHI
"

The refs obviously decided, based on the gegree of violence (hardly any) that it was a a 2 minute board and not a 5 minute board. And everyone besides some Sabres fans agree with that.

Do you actually think you're going to convice posters on our board, that disagree with you, that you're right on this?

If so you're in for a long day

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
PHI
"

Ok Let's just stop here. We both agree that Richard's won't get suspended.

But really? What do you call that shove by Richards as he went into the boards? You act like we should be thanking Richards that Connolly didn't get paralyzed. He shoved a player head first into the glass. There are dozens of examples of the safe hit into the boards out there. This was careless. Do I think Richards intended to injure Connolly? No. However, do I think that Richards cared one way or another if Connolly got injured? Nope, and that's the problem with the hit. It's careless and reckless. You are coming on the Sabres board trying to defend the type of hit that the NHL is trying to curtail. If this wasn't a tied playoff elimination game, you honestly think that hit isn't called differently? If the shoe was on the other foot and Kaleta did that to Richards or Briere, and he got a 2 minute minor, you would be on your board calling for a lifetime suspension of that gutless puke.

It was a dirty, careless hit. Period. Now please go back to your own board.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

edit: removing my comment, don't feel like starting anything with you guys, especially while the series is still going on. was a mistake, i apologize. looking forward to tuesday.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kassian54

Quote:
PHI
"

Correct line would be "The refs obviously decided, based on the color of the shirt...."

Kassian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
PHI
"

Funny, I'm reading the thread on the main board, and that doesn't agree with your assessment. Obviously the referee only gave a 2 minute penalty. I think we already knew that. Obviously some of us disagree with that.

This is the Sabres board you know. Just in case you were lost.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
PHI
"

And officials have NEVER given out a minor when they should have given a major........

Old
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
And officials have NEVER given out a minor when they should have given a major........
NHL Officials must agree with the refs!

http://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/stat...14512095481856

Quote:
Correct line would be "The refs obviously decided, based on the color of the shirt...."
Flyers probably have the most suspensions since the lockout, I dont think the refs do us any favors

Old
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

It's funny when the Flyers win, they troll all the Buffalo papers, show up on the boards where they don't belong.....have an opinion about everything no matter how asinine it is.....but when they lose....there isn't a flyer fan to be found anywhere. ;POOF: they're gone.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Jooce81

I'm glad Richards isn't suspended, you cannot enact revenge on a player who isn't on the ice. I wanna see Kaleta torpedo that son of a *****

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Lordstanley
Bandwagonaire

Richards is a dirty player who needs to be teached a lesson. Very tough loss for you guys Sunday .... that game was yours ! Would love to see you guys take out the dirty flys . You guys deserve it .... make it happen ! Go Sabres !

From a friend and fan from Boston.

Lordstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:54 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan6781 View Post
I'm glad Richards isn't suspended, you cannot enact revenge on a player who isn't on the ice. I wanna see Kaleta torpedo that son of a *****
Gives Kaleta a chance to question Richards "partnership" on the ice

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 11:54 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
NHL Officials must agree with the refs!
http://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/stat...14512095481856
And how often exactly does the NHL ever publicly admit that an official got a call wrong? Almost never.

You can trot out all the evidence that you want that says the correct calls was made. Nobody here buys that. People in the media don't buy that. James Mirtle has been complaining about the hit and call all morning.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love people acting like the Flyers are suddenly favored by the league and are getting the calls because they are the Flyers. Did we just enter some sort of parallel universe?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Leave it to the tender to perpetuate the **** talking.

Miller has been a stud in this series but, hes talking to much.

If I was Ryan Miller, I'd be trying to light a fire under the defense's ass because allowing 40+ shots a game isnt good for any team.

Richards getting away with murder? You could maybe argue it, there is a case to be made on both sides. The refereeing in this series has been god-awful on both sides, deal with it.
We are used to terrible calls being made against the Flyers.
Kaletas' opening the door on Zherdev went unnoticed and Richards gets a 5 minutes major protecting himself. Weber put 15 cross checks into hartnell. Oh! And yesterdays 5-3 powerplay that turned into a 5-3 for the Sabres was a complete farce too. Pronger called for slashing after being cross-checked and punched by Myers.
Thats the tip of the iceberg as far as non-calls.
Yeah, I didn't see the penalty on that one either.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

I think the NHL's discipline has been inconsistent this post-season. Not happy with this, but this is far from the only "non-suspension" I disagree with.

anyway, since this thread is mostly Flyers fans, I'll keep my words brief:

I think the Flyers and their fans should feel fortunate, but I think that the fact we've been the more physical team for much of the series will work in our favor on Tuesday when Richards is on the ice.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
HockeyTerror

The hit was not suspendable. The correct call would have been a major and game misconduct and the last two goals likely would not have happened. But thems the breaks for fans of the NHL. The officiating is one of the biggest detriments of bringing in new fans IMO. It's very hard to follow this sport to begin with, but it's worse when it's almost impossible to understand the rules. Who can keep track of what is or isn't a penalty when it varies every game?

HockeyTerror is offline   Reply With Quote