HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Anybody still want Turris?

Old
04-24-2011, 08:51 PM
intro9

vCash: 500
Anybody still want Turris?

Just sittng here thinking about all the critisism Reemer has taken since he was chosen in the draft. And there were quite a few people on here who, regardless of what he did, stilll were touting turris earlier this season. So looking at it now, is it clear that this kid is developing into a stud power forward?

Still want turris?

intro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:53 PM
JVR21
G

I don't think I've seen more than a couple people say they'd want Turris over JVR.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
intro9

Earlier in the year there were a handful of people still clammoring about turris. Just curious if that sip has finally sailed.

intro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I used to be one of JVR's biggest haters, but he has been great so far.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 08:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I don't think I've seen more than a couple people say they'd want Turris over JVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by intro9 View Post
Earlier in the year there were a handful of people still clammoring about turris. Just curious if that sip has finally sailed.
Yea I dont know about that one. If you said Kane, then we would have a debate, but no more than a handful of people wanted Turris. If you are talking about this current season, I cant remember more than 1 Flyer fan who liked him over JVR. If you can find the post, then I'll believe it. I actually think there were more people who liked Voracek on here than Turris. I know I was one of them.

Personally I was (and kinda still am) a Kane fan.

Turris is an RFA this season. With the whole Yotes moving thing, I wouldbe surprised if someone puts a bid on him during free agency. I actually wouldnt mind him and give him a chance.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea I dont know about that one. If you said Kane, then we would have a debate, but no more than a handful of people wanted Turris. If you are talking about this current season, I cant remember more than 1 Flyer fan who liked him over JVR. If you can find the post, then I'll believe it. I actually think there were more people who liked Voracek on here than Turris. I know I was one of them.

Personally I was (and kinda still am) a Kane fan.

Turris is an RFA this season. With the whole Yotes moving thing, I wouldbe surprised if someone puts a bid on him during free agency. I actually wouldnt mind him and give him a chance.

I was never a JVR hater, but rather a skeptic. I felt like he was an adequate pick for what has turned out to be a lame draft. I wanted Turris over JVR at the draft, but I wanted Voracek over both of them. Obviously, I would want Kane first, but I am still a Voracek fan. I no longer want Turris over JVR.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Being on the subject of JVR, does it seem like he is turning into a serious top 2 line player? I haven't seen a single game all season (blame living in Alabama sans Versus for that), and was concerned earlier in the season.

Seeing that he scored 20 goals, do you think Holmgren has been pleased with his play? It seems he has been great in the playoffs. My concern was that Holmgren would give up on him and trade him for a 3rd rounder. I am hoping this season has prevented that.

Do you think 20 goals is a good goal for him, or do you see him possibly being a 30 goal 30 assist guy?

Old
04-24-2011, 09:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I was never a JVR hater, but rather a skeptic. I felt like he was an adequate pick for what has turned out to be a lame draft. I wanted Turris over JVR at the draft, but I wanted Voracek over both of them. Obviously, I would want Kane first, but I am still a Voracek fan. I no longer want Turris over JVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Being on the subject of JVR, does it seem like he is turning into a serious top 2 line player? I haven't seen a single game all season (blame living in Alabama sans Versus for that), and was concerned earlier in the season.

Seeing that he scored 20 goals, do you think Holmgren has been pleased with his play? It seems he has been great in the playoffs. My concern was that Holmgren would give up on him and trade him for a 3rd rounder. I am hoping this season has prevented that.

Do you think 20 goals is a good goal for him, or do you see him possibly being a 30 goal 30 assist guy?

I can agree on the whole skeptic thing. I think most of it turned up when the words "franchise player" (or words similar to that) started to get thrown around. I thought he was going to be a good player, but I personally dont think he will be that kind of player that will lead teams and be the teams best player. Just dont see it. Otherwise I think he will be a good top 6 player, which is not bad in itself.

At his prime, I can see him hitting around 80 points once or maybe twice. Otherwise I see a 30 goal scorer a few times, around 50-70 points most of the time, which isnt bad at all.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I can agree on the whole skeptic thing. I think most of it turned up when the words "franchise player" (or words similar to that) started to get thrown around. I thought he was going to be a good player, but I personally dont think he will be that kind of player that will lead teams and be the teams best player. Just dont see it. Otherwise I think he will be a good top 6 player, which is not bad in itself.

At his prime, I can see him hitting around 80 points once or maybe twice. Otherwise I see a 30 goal scorer a few times, around 50-70 points most of the time, which isnt bad at all.

Thanks for the input. I'd be happy with a 20-30 goal guy who can play on any of the top three lines. Obviously, I'd have been happier with our lot in almost any other draft - I am bitter about the quality that that draft turned out to be - just think of the possiblity of having Doughty, Malkin, or Staal in other drafts.

However, the level of JVR may turn out to be a good thing, because he should be a serviceable player who is affordable, providing needed depth on a team that really doesn't need him to score. Whereas any of those other players would be 6-9 mil.

Old
04-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Jester

I don't think anyone has been talking about Turris around here for some time.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. Flyhigh and myself(well it seemed that anyway) we basically the only ones who seemed to have this kids backing a year and more ago when he was at UNH and earlier in his pro career.
everyone wanted to ride this guy out of town on the bustline and say we should of drafted Turris or Voracek.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Terence Peterman

I never had a problem with the van Riemsdyk pick.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
"No." is too short of a reply, so most of this sentence is just filler.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:41 PM
infidelappel*

I never wanted Turris. I've thought since the first WJC after we drafted him that Jimmy had the capability to do big things, and he's shown the ability to dominate for awhile now, if not consistently.

I'm really not all that surprised that he's been our best player this series...it's the sort of thing I figured he was bound to start doing eventually.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I've never wanted Turris instead. Kane however.
Now, I'm kinda split. I love JVR as a Flyer and he's been amazing so far these playoffs, but Kane is still on an entirely different level.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Turris is soft as hell.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Norm MacDonald

I wanted Turris at the 07 draft, but all my knowledge of him was derivative. JVR quickly changed my mind and taught me to never again base opinions on HF hype.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

To be completely honest I wanted them to pick JvR over Kane before the lottery.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 12:22 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

i loved the jvr pick on draft day, and i love the jvr pick today. i was a huge jvr supporter before the draft and still am today. if the flyers had gotten the 1st overall pick, im fairly certain that they were going to pick him anyway. I never liked turris, and to be honest, i was very surprised that he even went 3rd overall. I knew kane was going to be a player that could step into some sort of role right away. but it was my contention that jvr would be the better player in the long run. of course, we don't know that right now, and jvr has a long way to go to live up to those expectations, but i do think it's within the realm of possibility.

jvr has an enormous amount of talent and potential to be an incredible hockey player. it's SO great to see him finally realizing that there are few bodies in the nhl that can physically prevent him from doing what he wants to do with the puck. his combination of skill, size and speed is scary, and he's finally starting to show why he was drafted 2nd overall.

Last edited by orange is better: 04-25-2011 at 12:28 AM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It was always the JVR pick for me. The flyers are incredibly sucessful at drafting in the first round.

Richards, Carter, Giroux, JVR, Downie, Sbisa..........

I had upmost faith in JVR to become a good player, maybe not great but good. I now have absolutly no doubt that he will be a great player. I think he's going to look similar to erik Cole.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:11 AM

I can't blame people for questioning JVR in the past, but he's switched on god mode here and he's flat-out dominating. If he plays like this consistently for his career, we've got one of the best power forwards in the league coming through.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:18 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
"No." is too short of a reply, so most of this sentence is just filler.
Another option is to add o's. Like this: "Should Michael Leighton ever start for the Flyers again?" Noooooooooooooooo!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
DUHockey9

A couple things to admit here....

1) I wanted Turris. I've always admitted I wanted him. Very glad that didn't happen.

2) I was one of the few that were harping on JVR earlier this year. I wasn't hating on him, I just came to the conclusion I didn't think he'd ever be special. He didn't seem to have "it". The simplest way to put it was that he played way too much like Carter and not enough like Richards. He's made me eat my words as he looks like a completely different player these playoffs. He's playing mean and confident, which imo are critical; and he's never done it before.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Another option is to add o's. Like this: "Should Michael Leighton ever start for the Flyers again?" Noooooooooooooooo!
ooh, good point

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

JVR fits our style of play much more than Turris would. It's so convenient having another big power forward on the team that can help us in the ways he can, like digging pucks out in the corners, the slap shot, etc, while having potential to put up a lot of points per season. I'd say we made the right choice.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote