HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Curious Canadian

Old
05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Crows*

vCash: 500
Curious Canadian

Hey guys. First I would just like to say that it's great to see how well your market is doing. You have very passionate fans and I hope your franchise the best.

This is just something I am curious about non traditional hockey markets. THis is for mostly everyone born and bread in nashville, becausae as everyone knows it's not exactly a traditional hockey market.

A- Were you following hockey before the preds came to Nashville?

B- IF you weren't following hockey, how did you get in to it? What made you start watching, and what did you love about it?

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Hey guys. First I would just like to say that it's great to see how well your market is doing. You have very passionate fans and I hope your franchise the best.

This is just something I am curious about non traditional hockey markets. THis is for mostly everyone born and bread in nashville, becausae as everyone knows it's not exactly a traditional hockey market.

B- IF you weren't following hockey, how did you get in to it? What made you start watching, and what did you love about it?
Wings - Avs WCF Draper - Lemieux, then ensuing line brawl ... that is what got me hooked

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Super Mario and the Avs with Forsberg/Sakic/Roy got me interested. The Preds sealed it. It was fitting that my favorite player early on, Peter Forsberg, came to Nashville. I'll never forget hearing on the radio he was acquired, buying two tickets immediately, grabbing my brother, and driving through the snow to watch him don the Predators jersey for the first time

05-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Soundgarden

My dad has been/was a Kings fan since the 70's and we lived close to L.A. when Gretzky came to town, still have tix from various Kings games, but we moved away and didn't get to see much hockey until we moved here around 2000. My whole family now roots for the Preds.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm one of the younger generation, so I was really around long enough to like hockey before the Preds arrived. They weren't who got me hooked though. I watched the Colorado/NJD game 7 with my family on a vacation, and I'll never forget it. The energy and intensity of the just reeled me in. After that, my brother and I began a tradition of playing some garage hockey (aka him shooting pucks at me while I was in minimal goalie gear), and playing led to a greater love of watching which led to a greater love of playing. The amazing cycle has continued to the point where I'm a die-hard Preds fan and a state champion. So wooooo

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Born in Nashville
Raised in Athens, GA
Moved back and lived in Nashville since '95.

I don't think I knew what pro hockey was when I was a kid. Went to 1 or 2 minor league games before the Preds. First Preds game in 2000. Enjoyed it but wasn't a diehard. First home playoff game sealed for me. Friends in middle/high school were big into skateboarding/roller hockey/ice hockey which helped. I've skated on ice ~5 times in my life.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Fo Shea Shea

A- no

B- went to a couple of games year one, season ticket holder since year 2

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
hockey diva
HFBoards Sponsor

A: Yes

B: Having a huge crush on a Blackhawks fan. And ESPN showing hockey.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:53 PM
WartracePred

Didn't follow hockey before Nashville was awarded the franchise. I went to a college hockey game (a club sport) at Univ of TN and a minor league game in Knoxville (Ice Bears).

I became a fan because it was the 1st major professional franchise in Nashville. Split season tickets with 2 co-workers the first season. Then moved to Ohio for a better job. Kept following the Preds as I bounced around the Southeast.

I grew up watching football nearly everyday of the week. The hitting and fast pace hooked me. A bit like football without all the stoppage in play.

I watch every Preds game, either live, on TV, or an internet stream. If all else fails, I listen to the audio feed. Got married in my Preds jersey and went straight to a game. Moved back to Middle TN, in part, to see more games. And though we live an hour away, my wife and I went to 20-25 games this year.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
From Kentucky. I was a fan of all sports pretty much. I was a Penguins fan, Super Mario was (and still is) favorite player of all time. Minus Hodgkins, we'd be calling him the Great One

Also, Mighty Ducks movies helped me get into it more. I started playing a lot of roller hockey with friends in my neighborhood after those movies. NHL '94 on Sega was a beast of a game too!

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I don't remember really how I got into hockey. I believe nintendo/genesis, something like that. I do remember being a kid and playing with the Blackhawks, and they had Chelios and I loved them. Always wanted to attend a Hawks game in Chicago. Then I remember back in 8th grade falling in love with the Avs because of Forsberg, Sakic, Foote, Deadmarsh I think. That was around 95 or 96 I believe. Then I went to high school and pretty much stopped watching everything except UK college basketball (it's religion in this state). After college I went to a Preds game due to free tickets and loved it. After seeing the first playoffs on tv I fell in love. Shortly after, I moved within an hours drive of Nashville and have been a ticket holder of some sorts for the last 4 seasons. That's all she wrote. I've now been on a few hockey road trips including Vancouver.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:22 AM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Steve Sullivan was a favourite of mine when he was with the leafs early on. I watched him throughout his career. However, after Weber was drafted and Forsberg came for one glorious season I turned into much more than a keen observer. So you could say I started watching pred's games on a regular basis around 2005-2006. As for how I got into hockey, well I'm from Toronto, a mecca for the sport, so I grew up watching guys like Wendel Clark, Doug Gilmour, and Felix Potvin on the leafs. Big Idols of mine at the time. I'm not from Nashville or from the states but just thought I'd share my background.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:35 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:

A-Yes

I am born and raised here but my family is from PA so they were hockey fans growing up and passed that on to me. When we got the Knights (ECHL) we went to games and had season tickets. When the Preds came we naturally followed them.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:33 AM
DManPreds11

A. Yes

Born in St. Louis, MO but moved to Louisiana when I was 5. Grew up a Blues fan but could really only catch them on TV when the playoffs started. Moved to TN in 1990 and was stoked that Nashville was awarded an expansion team. Became a Preds fan the first season when I finally attended my first live hockey game and completely converted from the Blues when I attended my first playoff hockey game against the Wings in 2004. Still think the loudest the arena has ever been was when Hatcher turned the puck over to Leggy on the PP and he buried the shorthanded goal.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:12 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:

Most people that currently live in Nashville are transplants. I don't know many people that actually grew up here that are my age (5 years removed from college).

A -- No. I mean, I knew ABOUT the sport thanks to video games (nintendo, sega, etc). But, I rarely watched hockey. I wanted to play it growing up, but there was no where to play it in Nashville in the mid-90s. I started to like hockey in the late 90s when the Red Wings started to dominate and were on ESPN all the time. But I didn't know much about the history, rules, and players until the Preds got here.

B -- As I said above, I got into it initially due do video games. Then the Red Wings domination on ESPN. Lastly, the live game is 10x better than watching it on tv. The speed and skill of the players in the game is what is so intriguing to me. I hate the old NHL where these big slow guys can just clutch and grab. I would rather see insane stick moves and big hits.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 05-05-2011 at 04:01 PM.
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
predfan98

A..... no, just watched hockey in the olympics for 50 years.

B. became a season ticket holder when the Predators came.... slowly became a fanatic and fan thanks to many awesome fans here that were willing to explain to a newbie at training camps or on the preds message board.

now have center ice, am moving up the ladder in fishers fantasy league teams....

the live game made me a fan..... the experience in the bridge....hockey doesn't translate very well for me on tv........the actual experience is so much better

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
SeventyOneTN

I was in Atlanta for the Flames, and the 1980 Olympics hooked me. When the Flames left I attached to the North Stars because I was born in Minnesota (although I remember very little about it). I watched a lot of minor league hockey in Atlanta until I moved here.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
LoveMyLife

I'm from WV, so not really a hockey hotbed. We had an ECHL team in the 90's and I went to my first game when I was 16. I HATED it. Of course, I think that's because the guy I was dating ignored me the entire time. I went again when I was 18 and fell in love with the sport and eventually worked with the team until I moved to Nashville.

I followed the Avalanche because one of the players back home had a relative on the Avs so I watched the games with him quite a bit. I moved here about halfway through the first season and from season 2 until now, I've never missed more than a game or 2 a season. (None this season.)

LoveMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:00 AM
NPHC

I was born in Nashville but my parents are from Montreal. So I grew up a huge Habs fan. I still have the Roy jersey my parents bought for me when I was 6.

Then we moved to Los Angeles and I started developing sports loves of my own, independent of my parents. Around that same time, Nashville was announced as a expansion city.

We went back to Nashville for my brother's college reunion during the inaugural season, got tickets to a Preds-Blues game, bought my jersey, and have been a fan ever since.

NPHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
lstcyr

Grew up in Massachusetts when there was only the original six and the Bruins and Rangers were always the bottom two. Then came Esposito and Orr. Didn't really follow it that much but when Nashville got the franchise I went in big time.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So, I was born and raised in Nashville and have never lived outside of the middle Tennessee area (Crossville being the furthest point from Nashville).

I've played hockey since I was an early teen (sometime in the 80's) and still play now.

My family has always just liked hockey, my grandfather was a season ticket holder to the various minor league teams we had here and my brother and three of my uncles also played.

Guess we're a bit rare.

Last edited by triggrman: 05-05-2011 at 02:49 PM.
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Really, really awesome to read some of the stories here.

I've been playing hockey since I was 4 up here in Canada but I never really got into the Canucks. I was born in South Africa and held no allegiance to them besides living in the city. Plus they suuuucked. (came overin the middle of their 94 run).

Markus Naslund and the West Coast express helped me love the Canucks like I do now, and of course going to your first game.

But seriously, great stuff in here. I for one am thrilled that Nashville's still allowed. In growing the game, who could you possibly want support more from than Country Stars?

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

Quote:

I was following hockey well before the Preds. I think I was around 8 years old when I saw the first game I actually remember. Became a Pittsburgh fan after watching Lemieux and Jagr play together. Later on I became a HUGE Roy fan, so I kept Pitt as my East team but started following the Avs. Became a big Forsberg fan, so when we got him in 2007 I was ecstatic.

The Preds are my team now. I like Pittsburgh still, but I really don't get excited for them or follow them much anymore. My first hockey game was an ECHL club we used to have, the Nashville Knights. I saw a couple of Nighthawk games, too. My first NHL game was in the inaugural season. My dad scored some suite tickets. It was awesome, but I was only 13 so I couldn't drink the free beer haha

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:15 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

A - Nope. I knew it existed but had little interest. Even after the Predators arrived it took a while.

B- ThirdManIn wouldn't stop talking about the Preds so I started watching some games on TV. Soon the superstitions arose. Then my first game in person (Playoff game. Eliminated by the Sharks). Then the sale happened. I got ticked because I had found something I liked and suddenly it was at risk of being taken away. Season tickets soon followed.

Now I'm just addicted to an almost unhealthy level. I made a twitter account just to follow the players, team and Josh Cooper. I have skipped weddings to go to games. I've left work to go to games. I kid you not I once left a funeral early to get to an early game.

Basically, if I can be converted anyone can. All it takes is one game.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Born in Nashville--lived here most of my life. Briefly lived in Richmond VA, Knoxville TN and Athens AL.

My dad took me to a minor league hockey game when I was 3-4 years old. He wasn't a particular fan (or non-fan, really); it was just something to do when the boat show or a gun show wasn't at the auditorium. I, on the other hand, loved it. I liked the ice, the sounds, the feel of the air. It was something I looked forward to doing--much more than the car shows and tractor pulls. (My dad enjoyed going to shows, can you tell? )

When it was on TV I'd watch, but I wasn't a fan of particular players, I just liked the game itself. I still do. I love it when I can just watch without it affecting my team. I only became a real fan of a team and the players when the Preds came to town. I didn't have season or even partial season tickets to the minor league games and honestly, if you'd told me in 1998 that I'd EVER go to every game in a season and catch all the others on radio or TV I'd have thought you were nuts. That changed with the Preds. We had season tickets at the office and in the 2nd and 3rd year people stopped using them so I would. I got hooked. Then people started wanting them again and I got my own tickets.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote