HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovlev Update

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2004, 01:43 PM
pjk27

vCash: 500
Kovlev Update

There is an article in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette which states that Kovalev chafed under CJ's restrictive system and that in a recent interview Kovalev said the team he signs with will be one that does not stifle his creativity. From this article it does not sound Kovalev thinks his style of play fits with Montreal. On the other hand, this is the first time I've read anything like this and given the success Kovalev had in the post-season, I thought he'd like CJ's system. If this article is correct, sounds like Kovalev wants to go to a more free wheeling type team.

Old
07-12-2004, 01:55 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk27
There is an article in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette which states that Kovalev chafed under CJ's restrictive system and that in a recent interview Kovalev said the team he signs with will be one that does not stifle his creativity. From this article it does not sound Kovalev thinks his style of play fits with Montreal. On the other hand, this is the first time I've read anything like this and given the success Kovalev had in the post-season, I thought he'd like CJ's system. If this article is correct, sounds like Kovalev wants to go to a more free wheeling type team.
That's a great point I also read the somewhere He liked his experience with Pits because he was free he was playing the style he want with the RAGS too but what I don't understand is if he responded in the playoffs why he won't resign with us and he know the he has a good center in KOIVU but maybe he prefers Mario Lemieux so in his career Kovalev play with team with no system here it's different in MOntreal if you aren't on the system you're in a big trouble so I see Kovy is the kind of guy whoo like the free wheeling type teaam it's don't surprising me he always wanted to play the stuyle of he wanted so that's maybe a reason why he don't want to play a lot here but he liked the fans here and he liked the city too so IMO there not other city with better fans then MOntreal so if he want to be a "' GOD '' he'll prolly stay here.

Old
07-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Whoever wrote that article probably didn't do great research. I could see something about him having trouble with the system before the playoffs, but it looked to me like he was given pretty free reign in the PO's. Given that success, I'm sure CJ would continue with that if Kovalev resigns.

I'm also confident I could find 10 articles that say how Kovalev likes Montreal for every one that says he doesn't.

Here's a link to that article:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04194/345211.stm

and here's the quote in question:

Kovalev, late of Montreal, chafed under the restrictions imposed by the system coach Claude Julien installed for the Canadiens, and was emphatic during a recent interview that he does not want to have his creativity stifled by the team he joins.

Has anyone got a link to that interview? I've heard of it, but I've never been able to actually read it.

Old
07-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Well , there's nothing new about this article, Kovalev is a free spirit, the team that intend to sign need to accept the fact he is what he is & nothing else. If a coach try to implement a non-creative system (HELLO Mr. Julien) , I don't see how Kovalev would sign in MTL.

If we take a shot in the past when Kovalev was acquired, Claude Julien on multiples coach conference told us that Kovy need to adapt the ''SYSTEM'' & I really think that it show that Claude Julien had no ''real'' intentions to put Kovalev an important role.

Before I continue, I need to say that Kovalev is a team player & he could in part play the ''system'' that a coach want of his team but if it interferes too much with the type of player he is, it's not being stubborn or being selfish that a player like Kovalev might be unhappy.

Claude Julien put Kovalev with Koivu nearly 2 weeks after his acquisitions & maybe it's not a fact but a big perception that Julien did put Kovalev on the 1st line because the team was in a slump offensively. The move was successfull of course but my perception was that Julien not really want Kovalev to flourish in MTL because of his ''free-spirit'' attitude.

What is a free-spirit Kovalev ?

It's that he will chunk a few more seconds on a shift which is not what Julien like of his player (see Ribeiro's bench game after he did that but couldn't do it because of Kovalev ''star status'').

It's that he will take some risk from time to time to change the momentum of a game or create a scoring chance. Sometime it will work , sometimes it won't (see the Kovalev-Souray accident on the neutral zone) & of course we always remember the negative aspect than the positive & the same thing apply to a coach. Again this is an aspect of Claude Julien type of coaching that he does not like very well. It's not a knock on Julien, it's a part of him of what the kind of coach he is & that means WELL ORGANIZED & Well structured. The type of mentality that if you repeat the same thing over & over during practice & a game it will be more succesfull in the long run than trying to be creative & taking some risk. (See the Calgary Flames)

It's that he love to control the pace in the offensive zone. From a coach point of view, it could be frustrated when you think you depend on 1 guy to spark your offense.

It's all those things put together that show you what Alexei Kovalev is ! We need to accept his beautiful skill set but it comes with a part of toolbox that sometimes won't get along well with the fans & mostly with the coaches.

I've said it multiples times that before offering a contract to Kovalev, Bob Gainey need to make sure that he will accept what Kovalev will bring to the table & the style that comes with it. If Julien wants to change that, the 4-5-6M$ per year won't worth it.

Russian Fan

Old
07-12-2004, 02:03 PM
saskhab

Pittsburgh doesn't do the run-and-gun anymore. They are a trap team under Olczyk. Kovalev wouldn't have the supposed "fun" he had previously in Pittsburgh. Plus, in NY, with few restrictions, he didn't do well and hated it.

Anyways, looking more and more like a 3 way race between the Habs, Isles, and Pens for him. I think we'll win, since we're less restricted financially than those teams are (Isles are in serious fiscal trouble and have Yashin's contract to worry about, plus all their d-men).

Old
07-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I don't understand is if he responded in the playoffs why he won't resign with us and he know the he has a good center in KOIVU
It's not because of Koivu that he hesitate to sign in MTL, it could be the type of coaching we have in MTL. On a 82 game schedule, the coach does not have the patience to have a losing streak & when things doesn't go the way he want, he tries to change a lot of things (Same applies for other coaching staff in the NHL).

When things is rough (losing streak), a player like Kovalev could be a less like for a coach. We already know that Julien prefer 2-way players over skilled player or offensive-mind type of player. We saw that Kovalev's beginning in MTL was less than stellar because Julien want Kovalev to be a responsible winger who will follow the instructions of his ''systems''.

A playoff run is not the same thing than a 82-games schedule from a coach point of view. If Kovalev was guaranteed to be a 1st line winger in MTL for the whole season (which is not possible to guarantee), i'm sure he would sign (speculation).

Old
07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
x-bob

Why the isles....never heard anything about hem going after kovy

Old
07-12-2004, 02:11 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
Why the isles....never heard anything about hem going after kovy
Check the Isles board, but beyond that, Kovalev loves NY (has a home there), and the Rags won't take him back. Nothing completely concrete, but it's a better possibility than most other places.

Old
07-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
Check the Isles board, but beyond that, Kovalev loves NY (has a home there), and the Rags won't take him back. Nothing completely concrete, but it's a better possibility than most other places.
It also been said numerous time that his wife don't want to move out of the NY area so it's a reason of why there's some Isles rumours

Old
07-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Pittsburgh doesn't do the run-and-gun anymore. They are a trap team under Olczyk. Kovalev wouldn't have the supposed "fun" he had previously in Pittsburgh. Plus, in NY, with few restrictions, he didn't do well and hated it.
I concur.

If Kovalev thinks it'll be like the old days in Pittsburgh he's in for a rough awakening. That team sure plays a tight system nowadays, nothing to help his creativity run wild.

Old
07-12-2004, 02:45 PM

If what this article states is true, then Kovalev has his priorities messed up, do you want to play in a free wheeling system or do you want to contribute to a young up and coming team who cares about winning chamionships?

Old
07-12-2004, 02:50 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I concur.

If Kovalev thinks it'll be like the old days in Pittsburgh he's in for a rough awakening. That team sure plays a tight system nowadays, nothing to help his creativity run wild.
the 1st line of kovalev, lemieux and recchi in pittsburgh won't play the trap i guess... but maybe the 3 other will

Old
07-12-2004, 02:56 PM
(lone)Yashinfan#79

i don't get it.. why would he want to bounce back over to a team that was barely competitive when he was there first go-round?
it can't be to play w/ Lemieux, i mean, all due respect, the guy is a shell of his former self..

'restrictive system'?
balls to that, it's 2004, if you want to make it more than a round deep in the playoffs you absolutely need to employ the toe blake jr./bowman/gainey system..
it's not like Kovalev's a floater, either, he's kind of underrated defensively.. and who is a tougher [skilled]winger to move off the puck in his offensive end than Kovalev?
not many..

Old
07-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX
the 1st line of kovalev, lemieux and recchi in pittsburgh won't play the trap i guess... but maybe the 3 other will
Kovalev and Lemieux don't play that well together as far as I can remember. They both like to hold on to the puck an control the play. Kovalev Was much more succesful with Lang and Straka. I get the feeling if he signs in Pittsburgh, he'll be playing with someone else than Mario. Maybe Zhamnov. They've been rumored to be interested in him as well. Jesus I get the impression I'm talking about the Rangers.

Old
07-12-2004, 03:05 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Kovalev and Lemieux don't play that well together as far as I can remember. They both like to hold on to the puck an control the play. Kovalev Was much more succesful with Lang and Straka. I get the feeling if he signs in Pittsburgh, he'll be playing with someone else than Mario. Maybe Zhamnov. They've been rumored to be interested in him as well. Jesus I get the impression I'm talking about the Rangers.
Why would the Pens low-ball Kraft? He was very good down the stretch (with Morozov on the wing) when the Pens were winning.

The Pens are also apparently interested in Stumpel. I see that as more realistic than Kovalev or Zhamnov. Cheaper, is a playmaker, and Lemieux will more than likely be injured for the season by October 22.

Old
07-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Why would the Pens low-ball Kraft? He was very good down the stretch (with Morozov on the wing) when the Pens were winning.

The Pens are also apparently interested in Stumpel. I see that as more realistic than Kovalev or Zhamnov. Cheaper, is a playmaker, and Lemieux will more than likely be injured for the season by October 22.
Stumpel and also Weimer are both more realistic according to my own logic, but the names we hear most are Zhamnov and Kovalev so I don't know what to think.

Old
07-12-2004, 04:33 PM
DJ Spinoza

The latest is that according to Mark Madden, a radio host here who's a big Pens fan, buddy with Mario, etc (has sources), the Pens have offered Kovalev a deal for 3.25 mil/year, and Montreal has one to him for about 4 mil/year. The difference is that the Habs offer is shorter while the Pens is 3 or 4 years.

Kovalev has said he wants a longer deal, but I don't know how much he'll take. I've seen rumors that he wants 4.5-5, and it's looking like he won't get that. I have a feeling that he may want to come back to Pittsburgh to come to Pittsburgh, not to play in a free wheeling system. I don't think he likes to play in places like NY and Montreal where the media scrutiny is huge, but that's just me.

We'll see what happens. If I know Craig Patrick, he's willing to play the waiting game.

Closed Thread