HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part VII - Larsson or Landeskog might be ours !!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Edmonton: RNH
Colorado: Landeskog
Panthers: Couturier
Devils: Larsson

or

Edmonton: RNH
Colorado: Larrson
Panthers: Couturier
Devils: Landeskog

Lol, I mean is there any reason to believe that the Florida is higher on Couturier than Landeskog?

04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't think Couturier's offensive skill is that far below Huberdeau's. And what he gives up in offence, he makes up in shutdown defence.

Right now they are fairly equal in my mind when it comes to considering which is the BPA at our slot. Although, Huberdeau might well rise further since he is still in the playoffs, while Couturier is out.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Goose Huckabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Why are some thinking Larsson or Landeskog might fall to us?
It's possible, but I think more likely for Larsson to slip to 4 than Landeskog. I just think teams are trending away from taking D-men that high in the draft unless it's a clear-cut case of best player available. In my opinion, that is the case with Larsson, but who knows what the Colorado front office is thinking.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
It's possible, but I think more likely for Larsson to slip to 4 than Landeskog. I just think teams are trending away from taking D-men that high in the draft unless it's a clear-cut case of best player available. In my opinion, that is the case with Larsson, but who knows what the Colorado front office is thinking.
Ok then, then it's just speculation which is cool, I saw the title of this thread and wonder if there were rumblings from the teams ahead of us who they are high on and who they are not.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Lol, I mean is there any reason to believe that the Florida is higher on Couturier than Landeskog?
Well we all know that Tallon likes players with size and the Panthers need offense badly considering Booth and Weiss might be on the move as soon as next year. They also drafted Gudbranson, Kulikov and Ellerby with their 1st round picks over the last 4 years (no 1st in 2008). Colorado just lost a power forward in Chris Stewart, so I can see them going with Landeskog since they got EJ to compensate for the loss of Shattenkirk... leaving us with Larsson at #4.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Well we all know that Tallon likes players with size and the Panthers need offense badly considering Booth and Weiss might be on the move as soon as next year. They also drafted Gudbranson, Kulikov and Ellerby with their 1st round picks over the last 4 years (no 1st in 2008). Colorado just lost a power forward in Chris Stewart, so I can see them going with Landeskog since they got EJ to compensate for the loss of Shattenkirk... leaving us with Larsson at #4.
If the Panthers have a choice between Couturier and Landeskog, I'm not sure which one they'll take. Both have size and offensive skill. I guess it would depend on whether they want a centre or a winger.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:54 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
If the Panthers have a choice between Couturier and Landeskog, I'm not sure which one they'll take. Both have size and offensive skill. I guess it would depend on whether they want a centre or a winger.
The center depth for Florida is very weak and like I said, I don't see Weiss being a Panther at the start of the 2012-13 season, so Couturier can be a solid replacement.

I know it won't change a thing but he did play with Kulikov in Drummondville when they won the President's Cup in 2008-09 and lost in the semis of the Memorial cup. He was 15 years old and Kulikov was 17 years of age.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:02 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Here's a post from someone else then me about Ryan Murphy... and the poster is well known around our boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
LOL!

I'm torn. On the positive side, if Murphy is taken by the Devils, they'll turn him into the best offensive defenseman he can be. On the negative, if Murphy is taken by the Devils, they'll turn him into the best offensive defenseman he can be.

It's only been the last season or two that the Devils haven't had a puck moving d-man, and it is a definite black hole in the lineup at the moment.

I love the kid, and he's been a treat to watch. We simply haven't seen a d-man like this in years in the OHL. I wish I'd been able to see Niedermayer play junior, to compare the two. Note: that doesn't mean I'm saying Murphy is a future hall of famer. But the style is similar and Murphy can (and I expect will) continue to improve his defensive game.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 04-25-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
JimEIV

I clearly remember there being questions about Niedermayer's defensive game when he was drafted.

If not for his "Maybe best I've ever seen" skating ability he would not have been the player he was.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I clearly remember there being questions about Niedermayer's defensive game when he was drafted.

If not for his "Maybe best I've ever seen" skating ability he would not have been the player he was.
You're certainly old enough.

How did you read scouting reports without a computer? Carrier pigeon?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post

Almost everything then was from my subscribtion of The Hockey News.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Almost everything then was from my subscribtion of The Hockey News.
Which arrived by Carrier Pigeon, right?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post

I offered him the pony express in the last thread haha

Old
04-25-2011, 12:33 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

Like I've been saying over the past 2 months, his offensive instincts are off the charts and his skating is even better with the puck. Both of those things can't be teached, you either have it or you don't but the defensive side of the game is something that can be taught and we have to be at the top of the food chain in terms of teaching our rookies to play whitout the puck.

It's too bad none of you had the chance to watch the under-18 tournament that took place in Germany last week. I'm trying to find highlights but I can't seem to find anything for some reason.

Edit: Here's a link that will show you a couple of highlights and some interviews with Ryan Murphy... http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 04-25-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
JimEIV

But seriously the 1991 Draft was even covered locally here by WFAN New York Sports Radio and it was covered closely by ESPN.

The Lindros Saga was so big and coupled with fact that New Jersey, New York and Philly were in on the bidding for Lindros, we were getting more news about hockey than I can ever remember before.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
The center depth for Florida is very weak and like I said, I don't see Weiss being a Panther at the start of the 2012-13 season, so Couturier can be a solid replacement.

I know it won't change a thing but he did play with Kulikov in Drummondville when they won the President's Cup in 2008-09 and lost in the semis of the Memorial cup. He was 15 years old and Kulikov was 17 years of age.
Tallon might like Landeskog because he fits better as a franchise player, and that's the sort of thing they need in Florida because of the rebuild. Unless we draft him, Landeskog will be the captain of whichever team picks him within a few years. I can't say the same for Couturier. That might sway the Panthers into picking Landeskog if he is available at #3.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Nifty grinding in the offensive zone before getting decked from behind. Came back later and scored a PPG. Tangible intangibles.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
JimEIV

I wouldn't be surprised to see Couturier have a Cam Fowler like slide in this draft.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Tallon might like Landeskog because he fits better as a franchise player, and that's the sort of thing they need in Florida because of the rebuild. Unless we draft him, Landeskog will be the captain of whichever team picks him within a few years. I can't say the same for Couturier. That might sway the Panthers into picking Landeskog if he is available at #3.
I agree with this, but...I don`t like it.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Couturier have a Cam Fowler like slide in this draft.
Somebody will slide, but I think the top 8 is pretty set. I don't think there's any chance Couturier gets all the way down to 12 like Fowler did.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:46 PM
CerebralGenesis

Everyone's their prospect to hype.

I need to find me some Hamilton clips or something and start my marketing scheme next week

Old
04-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
One of the positives I see if Landeskog drops to us, is Murray calling Lou. Not sure what Murray offers, but I always remember the Jeff Frisen deal where Murray said Lou is a good trade partner.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

We'd better get something good to trade down, if that's what Lou decides to do. We're talking a high second next year, or another first this year. If we don't get that, I'd rather stand pat and use the pick.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

If Murray calls, ask for #6, #35 and #126, minimum.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
CerebralGenesis

Did you say a 2012 2nd? That would give us 3 and an outside chance of 4!

Closed Thread