HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part VII - Larsson or Landeskog might be ours !!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 12:53 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Here's a couple of interviews on Murphy...

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip454282

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip455249

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip455227

Old
04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Couturier have a Cam Fowler like slide in this draft.
I've already expressed this sentiment. Much like another surefire #1 overall pick who slid, Angelo Esposito, I saw the same sorta thing for Couturier. For years we heard about Espo and how he was going to be #1, then he just kept sliding and sliding. Pittsburgh will take Couturier.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Did you say a 2012 2nd? That would give us 3 and an outside chance of 4!
Yep, that's the idea.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I've already expressed this sentiment. Much like another surefire #1 overall pick who slid, Angelo Esposito, I saw the same sorta thing for Couturier. For years we heard about Espo and how he was going to be #1, then he just kept sliding and sliding. Pittsburgh will take Couturier.
I couldn't agree more.

I was actually just looking up Angelo Esposito's stats....This is weird how you read my mind.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:58 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

I believe lou has already said he wont be trading the pick..hopefully he changes his mind. If we don’t get AL, and we wont, I wouldn’t mind trading for a worse pick (murphy) and a 2nd

Old
04-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
If Murray calls, ask for #6, #35 and #126, minimum.
And you probably still get one of Couturier/Huberdeau. I would do that. The only player I wouldn't, would be Larsson.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:59 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

I was actually just looking up Angelo Esposito's stats....This is weird how you read my mind.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
There are a couple things that worry me about Huberdeau. Will he be a centre or a winger at the NHL level? If he becomes a winger, his value to us drops. And how much of his impressive performance in juniors is due to the fact that he is on a stacked team?

If the answers are, he'll be a centre, and he's the one carrying them, not the other way around, then I fully support taking him.
Why does he have to be one or the other? Guys like Elias, Rolston, and Zubrus have all had success playing multiple forward positions in their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Why are some thinking Larsson or Landeskog might fall to us?
Two scenarios:

(1) Edmonton takes RNH, Colorado takes Landeskog to complement Statsny/Duchene and replace Chris Stewart, Florida has depth on defense but needs skill at forward BADLY so they pass on Larsson take Couturier.

(2) Edmonton takes RNH, Colorado takes Larsson, Florida takes the rapidly rising Huberdeau as he has a highest ceiling of any forward not with only two names which allows Landeskog to fall into our lap.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If Murray called and offered his 6th overall pick + his 2012 2nd round pick... I'd jump all over that since we'd have the opportunity to pick one of Huberdeau/Couturier, Murphy, Hamilton or Strome if the top #4 consists of RNH, Larsson, Couturier/Huberdeau, Landeskog and stockpike 2nd rounders in a very solid and deep draft regarding blueliners.

We can also move up to land another 1st round pick or get a top #10 pick if we have three or even four 2nd round picks. The Langenbrunner situation will determine if we have another 2012 2nd rounder if things go our way of course.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 04-25-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Devils' 1st in 2011, Brian Rolston and Mark Fraser to Ottawa for their 1st in 2011, 2nd in 2012 and Filip Kuba.

Do it Lou.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
And you probably still get one of Couturier/Huberdeau. I would do that. The only player I wouldn't, would be Larsson.
Pretty much my reasoning. At least one of Huberdeau/Couturier/Murphy is going to be on the board at 6. If Conte and Lou's guy is going to be there at 6, I'd sure as hell not complain about replacing our 2nd.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

We'll have a player we like available at #4. I'm pretty confident of that. My guess is Lou doesn't bother trading down.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
CerebralGenesis

If I got hit by a freighttrained and was comatosed for a year, I would ask how many games it took for us to be eliminated and how badly I failed last semester.

3rd thought would be food. 4th would be the 2012 and how many picks we have. What I'm getting at is the 2012 draft is going to be amazing and I can't wait. Hell, I'm looking at the names and stuff for kids already. I'm hoping we can grab gems in the 2nd round. Don't even need to trade up. Look at what the 03 2nd looked like. The talent obviously dropped off but we will get more chances at talent.

I can see lou packaging something to move back into the 1st and get another tho. Teams like Detroit always move down for reasons unknown.

Either way, the more 2012, the better. And I don't expect us to be in the conference finals or anything anyway.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

With the two second rounders next year, or a possible 2nd rounder this year, I can see Lou trading up, more than down.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

We're not so different, you and I.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:10 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

With all the picks we have in the top 60 of next years draft... we can pull a Philly or a Anaheim, meaning we can pick up Richards/Carter or Getzlaf/Perry in the 1st round but instead of forwards, we'd be getting 2 bluechip blueliners. As of right now, we have our 1st, our 2nd and Washington's 2nd with the possibility of getting Dallas's 2nd with the Langenbrunner situation.

LOVING IT !!!!

Old
04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Why does he have to be one or the other? Guys like Elias, Rolston, and Zubrus have all had success playing multiple forward positions in their careers.
I'd rather have a natural centre. Those guys are all wingers who were forced to play centre for various reasons. They're all better on the wing, except maybe Zubrus who has about the same effectiveness at both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If Murray called and offered his 6th overall pick + his 2012 2nd round pick... I'd jump all over that since we'd have the opportunity to pick one of Huberdeau/Couturier, Murphy, Hamilton or Strome if the top #4 consists of RNH, Larsson, Couturier/Huberdeau, Landeskog and stockpike 2nd rounders in a very solid and deep draft regarding blueliners.
It depends on how the teams in front of us pick. If there's someone we really like available at 4, and we know that guy won't be available at 6, we'll just use the pick. If we can trade down and still get our man, I'd be fine with that.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
KarmaIsAKiller
Larssonist

Quote:
With all the picks we have in the top 60 of next years draft... we can pull a Philly or a Anaheim, meaning we can pick up Richards/Carter or Getzlaf/Perry in the 1st round but instead of forwards, we'd be getting 2 bluechip blueliners. As of right now, we have our 1st, our 2nd and Washington's 2nd with the possibility of getting Dallas's 2nd with the Langenbrunner situation.

LOVING IT !!!!
I'm all for making the best moves you can any time, but I really hope Lou holds on to these picks. The cupboard staying stocked would be a very nice thing for this franchise going forward into the third and fourth quarters of Kovy and Parise's careers.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:24 PM
CerebralGenesis

I hope we hold everything 2012.

Sad we're thinking a few years down the road already. I miss being a cup contender every given year and thinking we could make an impact at will.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZoneClap View Post
I'm all for making the best moves you can any time, but I really hope Lou holds on to these picks. The cupboard staying stocked would be a very nice thing for this franchise going forward into the third and fourth quarters of Kovy and Parise's careers.
It won't take us more then one second round pick + a mid level prospect (Alex Vasyunov or Matt Corrente comes to mind) with our 1st to move up several spots for a game changing player like Mathew Dumba for example. We would have another bluechip prospect and possibly two more picks in the 2nd round... that's the scenario I'd want instead of staying put.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 04-25-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I hope we hold everything 2012.

Sad we're thinking a few years down the road already. I miss being a cup contender every given year and thinking we could make an impact at will.
We could make an impact next year, with the right coach and some very shrewd moves, and I refuse to give up hope in Lou.

But at the same time, set the bar low and you'll never be disappointed.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:29 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I'm 110% convinced that we'll be selecting in our annually spot, wich is mid 20's in next years draft.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:31 PM
KarmaIsAKiller
Larssonist

I'm still of the mind that this year was an anomaly. And I'm almost relieved because we exposed our team's weaknesses so thoroughly that if Lou doesn't address them, it's because he's gone Stevie Wonder on us.

The two big ifs are if we can solidify the back-end and find a suitable Brodeur successor. But as long as we do the first thing, I think we'll be where we always are and probably even better.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
I'd rather have a natural centre. Those guys are all wingers who were forced to play centre for various reasons. They're all better on the wing, except maybe Zubrus who has about the same effectiveness at both.
Same here. We already have one in Henrique, we need natural one now if we`re going to draft a C.

Quote:
It depends on how the teams in front of us pick. If there's someone we really like available at 4, and we know that guy won't be available at 6, we'll just use the pick. If we can trade down and still get our man, I'd be fine with that.
I absolutely agree with this, have nothing to add.

Quote:

LOVING IT !!!!
Or use it to move up if we want certain player. I have no problem with either.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:37 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think we'll be selecting 21ish next season which is fine. Hopefully we can move around and pick 29 or something as well.

Don't want to give up hope on a season where we haven't even had the offseason going into it, but I have my doubts. We would all love a competent defense but I don't think it can happen for atleast another offseason. Lou hasn't had many shrewd offseasons lately. Resigning parise and a new coach + our draft pick this year will be the highlights.

Closed Thread