HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn: Does he disappear in the big games?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
ZJames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I wasn't. Never referenced you in particular at all.
My bad. I misuderstood. My apologies.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:40 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I get it, but you are talking about one year and you didn't give a reference point where he did bad individually. Even saying he was on the ice for five of the seven Senators goals... so were four other players and the goalie was on for all of them (unless he was pulled, I forget). Hard to say if all or none of those goals were his fault. Yu can put Bob Gainey out there with Alexandre Daigle and Randy Jones and I bet his +/- would be pretty bad.
Unless mistaken, I do believe Jones was pulled in favor of Zatkoff.

And I havent been able to watch him outside of the games in LA, so I was hopin that I could get some insight from people who have seen him play in the DUB and the A. The only reference points I have are the playoff series that his team was eliminated from and the box score, so its not a very good one. So i didnt want to try to use those, because numbers are decieving.

Quote:
The teams Schenn was on did have some tough finishes, but the argument can be flipped around to state that his teams also got farther than most others (Mem. Cup, WJC gold medal game, etc).
Very good point.

Quote:
If you were to site an example where he didn't show up individually, then your question would have more validity I think.
Like I said, I dont really have an example outside of the game 7 against Bing. And thats not really enough to go off of

Old
04-25-2011, 06:51 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
65 games between 5 different teams if im not mistaken. Crazy year.
Wow... that's nuts.

Old
04-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

We'll see if Schenn shows up tonight. This is the biggest game of the Kings season so if there was ever one to show up to, this would be it. I'm not going to hold my breath though. He has let me down before.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
We'll see if Schenn shows up tonight. This is the biggest game of the Kings season so if there was ever one to show up to, this would be it. I'm not going to hold my breath though. He has let me down before.
lol what?

Old
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
lol what?

Old
04-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
He's just mentally and physically tired. Our management has not handled his situation properly.
Because you know anything about player management?

Old
04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
And I havent been able to watch him outside of the games in LA, so I was hopin that I could get some insight from people who have seen him play in the DUB and the A. The only reference points I have are the playoff series that his team was eliminated from and the box score, so its not a very good one. So i didnt want to try to use those, because numbers are decieving.
I saw him play live with the Blades twice this year, his debut with them and Game 5 of the First Round against PA. I also saw the entire Kootenay series on TV. He was dominant when I saw him in person, now in the Kootenay series he was largely non-existent.

However, the Kootenay series it's easy to be non-existent when the rest of the team is too. The entire Blades team seemed to quit in that series. He did have a nice goal to send it to OT in Game 3 I believe. But the problem was while he played decently, his game isn't quite like a Gretzky. He doesn't do everything himself, he is a lot more of a setup man. With the rest of the Blades team (aside from their goalie) not showing up, it is very hard to setup the rest of the players.

The best comparison I can think of for Brayden Schenn is he is Jari Kurri. A good player in his own right, but is a million times better when he has another top player along side him. In Saskatoon, he had Curtis Hamilton, half his WJC line. So there was chemistry there and he was able to feed off him.

I didn't see the games or anything with him in Manchester, so I have no idea what line he was put on or if he had a dominant player with him. If I were being totally honest about the way I saw him was that he is a great player, but he is not one of those Gretzky type players that makes average players great simply playing with him.

I gather that the movement between 5 teams probably bothered him. However, in the grand scheme of things 65 games isn't all that high. If he tires out after 65 games, that won't be a great omen for playing in an 82 game NHL.

For those that saw him play in Manchester, do you think the -5 in the final game and his lack of a scoring touch hurt him with the organization? I just wonder if it might indicate that perhaps he needs a bit more time in the WHL. Being that his is 20 he could be sent to Saskatoon in October and if he is dominant again could be moved to Manchester. I'm not saying that he necessarily needs to return to the Blades, though it is entirely an option. But did his stock drop or was it simply a rough game/series for him?

Conversely, if a season of minor pro is necessary, would a year with Ontario in the ECHL be a better fit? The reason I throw this out is that he would be closer to the Kings' coaching staff. I've often thought that having an AHL affiliate so far away from the main club, that some prospects become forgotten. Without being under a watchful eye of the Kings' staff their development might be hindered. I realize that the ECHL is a lower level than the AHL, but the Quacks had no problem operating without an AHL affiliate for a season and using Bakersfield in the ECHL as their top affiliate.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Rich Hammond already said that none of the "black aces" would be called up. I imagine the Kings may fly him out and have him watch the game. But he certainly won't be in uniform tonight, unless something has happened in the last half an hour. Though, I don't even know if that is possible. Aren't rosters locked an hour before faceoff?

Old
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
65 games between 5 different teams if im not mistaken. Crazy year.
Jebus... That's bad enough, but then you factor in that he was a healthy scratch for a number of Kings games over the first month of the season, and also the time missed due to injury and that's just insane. It's no wonder he started to slow down at the end of the year.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:13 AM
KillerKampfer*

He should have been in Westgarth or Penner's spot and not in Manchester. Shame on the Kings putting him in a position to fail in the AHL when the tank was obviously running low for this kid after all the hockey he has played this year. Its the playoffs you don't need a guy like Westgarth Schenn probably scores on that 5 minute powerplay if he is a King this last fortnight crap job Lombardi.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:30 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Schenn didn't show up for the kings tonight, what a choker.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I gather that the movement between 5 teams probably bothered him. However, in the grand scheme of things 65 games isn't all that high. If he tires out after 65 games, that won't be a great omen for playing in an 82 game NHL.
65 games on five teams isn't maybe as physially tough, but it would be very mentally tough. Excited about making the NHL, disappointed to be sent back to junior, excited to be playing the WJC, disappointed to see team blow gold medal game, have to transition to new WHL team, disappointed team didn't match Mem. Cup expectations, excited to be back up in the AHL, disappointed team gets eliminated.... That's a long set of transitions.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
He should have been in Westgarth or Penner's spot and not in Manchester. Shame on the Kings putting him in a position to fail in the AHL when the tank was obviously running low for this kid after all the hockey he has played this year. Its the playoffs you don't need a guy like Westgarth Schenn probably scores on that 5 minute powerplay if he is a King this last fortnight crap job Lombardi.
Penner yes, but I refuse to find much fault with Westgarth's playoff performance. The guy played very respectable and deserves props for his efforts.

Also, question for you. How is it the Kings put him in a position to fail by sending him to the AHL "when the tank was obviously running low" but yet you say he should have been in the NHL playoffs with LA? Wouldn't throwing him against the Sharks be even more of a set up for failure?

Old
04-26-2011, 12:42 AM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
Penner yes, but I refuse to find much fault with Westgarth's playoff performance. The guy played very respectable and deserves props for his efforts.

Also, question for you. How is it the Kings put him in a position to fail by sending him to the AHL "when the tank was obviously running low" but yet you say he should have been in the NHL playoffs with LA? Wouldn't throwing him against the Sharks be even more of a set up for failure?
I can't edit posts, I wanted to say playing under 10 minutes and PP time. Sorry its unclear and not what I meant.

Old
04-26-2011, 12:49 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

This topic has apparently run it's course.

Closed Thread