HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

WCQF: Game 7 - Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Apr 26th - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
People seem way too down considering how that game last night went. If that wasn't a positive sign for Game 7, I don't know what is. Obviously we would all prefer to have this over and done with, but it didn't work out that way. Doesn't change the fact that the team largely outplayed the Hawks and needed a lot of bad breaks to lose.
canucks played their best game of the series and still found a way to lose, that's pretty depressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
This is the trademark of a team that won't win a Cup with these players. Philly overcame FOUR BAD GOALS. FOUR. In one game. Pekka Rinne let in an absolutely horrible goal to start the Nashville game last night. They overcame it. The Canucks folded at the first sight of trouble.
we've known about the mental fragility of the canucks for 3 years, but this mentally fragile group is headed by luongo

Old
04-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
No? Not even in Games 1 and 3 which he stole? Really? People are just getting silly now...
He stole game 1? The Canucks were unquestionably better than the Hawks in game 1 and were going head to head with a league minimum starter - that's a game Luongo needs to win. he was good, not the reason the team won.

Yeah, Luongo was brilliant in game 3. Again, being brilliant in 1 game out of 5 and a half really isn't anything to write home about.

Has he separated himself from the 26 year old rookie at the other end? I haven't seen it, neither has anyone outside the city of Vancouver.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
It doesn't matter who the refs are, we will continue to get jobbed because we have a great PP. We haven't been getting calls for three months now and it seems pretty damn obvious that officials are scared of our PP.

None of the other series are even close to being as lobsided as this one

Nashville- Anaheim 27-22 5 PP difference
Philly-BUF 31-27 4 PP difference
NYR-Wash 20-16 4 PP difference
Pitt- TBL 25-22 3 PP difference
PHX-DET 18-15 3 PP difference
MTL-BOS 16-15 1 PP difference
LA-SJ 20-20 0 PP difference

CHI-Van 27-16 11 PP difference.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
canucks played their best game of the series and still found a way to lose, that's pretty depressing
Is Schneider/Luongo going to gift-wrap two goals again? Probably not. Are Hawks going to get away with murder while Canucks get called on the smallest things again? Probably not. Are the Hawks going to have the benefit of matching lines like last night? No, they're playing away now.

Yeah, I was pretty damn down last night. But, you know what, I look back and I can only take away positives going into the next game.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:04 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Do you not understand gamesmanship? AV is the coach and if he thinks he can gain an advantage it's his perogative to try to do it. If the players are so "fragile" that they can't cope or adjust then thats on them. I can almost guarantee you it's NOT Schneider's time.
Why not? I've heard all year about how Luongo is fragile and Schneider is strong. Luongo is too emotional, Schneider is calm. Luongo is this and Schneider is that. I've seen people posting about crying at the thought of the Canucks trading Schneider. Why is it not his time? He's 25, he's supposedly better, so prove it.

If he's good enough to bench your star goaltender for in Game #6, he's your guy. I think the Canucks will win Game #7 with him.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
The only game I really questioned Luongo after was Game 5. And really only on the first goal. He needed to stop that one, but sometimes goalies don't save pucks that they should. The team can't afford to completely fold after a goal like that.

I really have no idea who starts in Game 7. I'd like to think Luongo, so long as he isn't hurt. He needs to get past this demon. And if the Canucks can play in front of him the way they played last night, I think they'll win Game 7. If they can play that way it doesn't matter if its Schneider or Luongo in net--I think we can win.

Hopefully Gillis' long chat with Rob Shick yields some results. There were some astounding no-calls against Blackhawk infractions last night. But really, the officiating is a minor side note. The Canucks were the better team in Game 6, and it was the first time all series that the team that was better on the ice lost the game.

The Canucks need that same effort. We need everyone stepping up. Burrows and Bieksa bagged their first goals of the playoffs, now we need guys like Kesler and Raymond to do the same. Support the offense, sacrifice yourself to block shots, throw hits, skate hard, shoot the puck and play like your life depends on it. Your career just may depend on this game.
I don't even blame Luongo for the first Hossa goal...Edler backed in to the hashmarks and allowed Hossa to shoot from a prime scoring area. Luongo might have been a bit deep in the net but it was a very well placed shot but a very skilled shooter. Luongo could have stopped it but it's not like it was a "weak goal" IMO.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Am I missing something here? Did AV not declare up and down Luongo was his guy and he was starting Game 6 only the change his mind on gameday? Did that not happen?

You can't just mess around with players like that without ramifications. Say Vigneault shows up pre-game and says to Henrik that he's going to play 5 minutes on the 4th line while all the other centres move up a place. He'd do it, he'd try but there would be long lasting consequences to that move.

It was a desperation move by a desperate coach. Flipping back to Luongo is even more desperate. It's Schneider's time now.
I hope you're right - but if Luongo has a complete mental meltdown because the coach went to Schneider for 1 start he's not a guy I want here moving forward anyway. If you cannot handle adversity or criticism you belong in a market like Florida.

Vigneault kept his cards close to his vest and wanted the Hawks to be unprepared for Schneider. If you're going to make the switch, it was the right way to handle it.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Sedinery2011

canucks need to rally around the fact that the reffs have it out for them...they need to realize that they need to be that much better than the hawks to win a game. A one goal lead isnt gonna cut it when the hawks are one bias reff call away from getting back into the game.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Has he separated himself from the 26 year old rookie at the other end? I haven't seen it, neither has anyone outside the city of Vancouver.
So why is now everyone suddenly advocating going back to him in Game 7? I'm pegged as one of his biggest supporters and I'm saying it's time to move on.

I think everyone's scared. Scared that they might find out that they can't pin all these losses on one guy.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Is Schneider/Luongo going to gift-wrap two goals again? Probably not. Are Hawks going to get away with murder while Canucks get called on the smallest things again? Probably not. Are the Hawks going to have the benefit of matching lines like last night? No, they're playing away now.

Yeah, I was pretty damn down last night. But, you know what, I look back and I can only take away positives going into the next game.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one changing :-/

Old
04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
the thing is, with game #7, you could set up all kinds of questions that lead to a chicago advantage as well

ie: are toews/kane/sharp/hossa/keith going to play like they did in games #4 and #5 again? if yes, the canucks have major problems

Old
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

just win

Old
04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
the thing is, with game #7, you could set up all kinds of questions that lead to a chicago advantage as well

ie: are toews/kane/sharp/hossa/keith going to play like they did in games #4 and #5 again? if yes, the canucks have major problems
That's assuming that our players give them the space... It's not like their top players just didn't come to the rink last night, they worked their ***** off but when this team is clicking and when they're taking care of their coverages, playing the system, etc. the Hawks just don't get much space to work with.

The Hawks didn't do that much different in Games 4 and 5 in terms of putting in effort, they just made tactical adjustments and got that middle of the ice they love so much.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
So why is now everyone suddenly advocating going back to him in Game 7? I'm pegged as one of his biggest supporters and I'm saying it's time to move on.

I think everyone's scared. Scared that they might find out that they can't pin all these losses on one guy.
you're saying it's time to move on because of the way luongo's been handled, not at all because of his play

everybody is smart enough here that a loss tomorrow is a stain against everybody on the team, not just luongo, but as the team studs luongo, the sedins, and kesler will (rightly) take the brunt of the blame

Old
04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
VanEric

Quote:
I hope you're right - but if Luongo has a complete mental meltdown because the coach went to Schneider for 1 start he's not a guy I want here moving forward anyway. If you cannot handle adversity or criticism you belong in a market like Florida.

Vigneault kept his cards close to his vest and wanted the Hawks to be unprepared for Schneider. If you're going to make the switch, it was the right way to handle it.
Not a complete mental meltdown. If he plays, he could very well be fine but if you didn't have faith in him to handle Game 6, how can you have faith in him to handle Game 7?

Are there any other examples of established starting goalies being benched for a Game 6 and being summoned back to duty for Game 7? I'd like to see them.

Old
dsedin22

Don't forget that blatant highstick after the whistle which Simpson called "lightly grazed" his face....

Old
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Certainly the 3rd period and OT at least.
Parts of it and, other parts the Blackhawks dominated.

Old
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 50
I fully believe you have to just ride Luongo either way for Game 7.

If the Canucks win, he'll be hailed for over-coming the "mental block" of the Hawks and everyone will be proclaiming that he'll now lead the team to glory.

If the Canucks lose, I honestly think Luongo has to be shipped off somewhere else. I don't know where and who would take him but it just seems like he would need a change of scenery.

Biggest moment in franchise history tomorrow night.

One way or another, history will be made.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
No, I don't feel confident with him playing now because you took a guy whose confidence was likely already low and pinned the 2 losses on him. Then a couple hours later he's thrown into a hostile environment with no warmup, no preparation, nothing. Obviously he's not going to be comfortable. He's not a robot.
Luongo was pouting and didn't want to take shots in warmup - it's on him that he didn't get a decent sweat going pre-game.

You said his confidence was already low yet had a problem with Vigneault trying to switch things up by going with Schneider?

If Luongo wants to be known as a big game goalie he needs to be able to step into any environment and have the fortitude to play his game. He didn't. He didn't look like an NHL calibre goaltender. The goal was bad enough, the horrible rebound control prior to it was even worse.

Why doesn't it feel like we have a goaltending edge for game 7? Why did I see this coming before the series started? I shouldn't be able to see this coming...

Old
04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Anodyne

I feel like we've seen what we saw last night over and over with this team. The guys are on somewhat of a losing streak and are not playing well. They get it together, but still lose a heartbreaking loss. Not dejected, they go back to it and start getting results the next game. Things have never seemed to turn on a dime for this team.

I was sure the Hawks would win the series after game 5, but after last night, I know this isn't a team of chockers. I know they're going to play another good game--a better game--and I just feel so sure that they're not going to blow this.

I originally said Canucks in seven, and I'll stick with that.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Ramon108

Send a message via ICQ to Ramon108 Send a message via Skype™ to Ramon108
It is very difficult to predict the outcome of this match, but still presume to say that Chicago will win in overtime. Blackhawks are now mentally stronger, that will affect the 7th game.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsedin22 View Post
Don't forget that blatant highstick after the whistle which Simpson called "lightly grazed" his face....
Simpson is a joke

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
If Luongo wants to be known as a big game goalie he needs to be able to step into any environment and have the fortitude to play his game. He didn't. He didn't look like an NHL calibre goaltender. The goal was bad enough, the horrible rebound control prior to it was even worse.
How many times did you watch the game winning goal? It was a deflection, completely changed direction and he had to stretch out to make that save which obviously meant that he couldn't stay upright anymore. I don't get why this is so hard to grasp for people. The deflection save was pretty amazing in the first place.

Old
VanEric

Quote:
you're saying it's time to move on because of the way luongo's been handled, not at all because of his play

everybody is smart enough here that a loss tomorrow is a stain against everybody on the team, not just luongo, but as the team studs luongo, the sedins, and kesler will (rightly) take the brunt of the blame
Our thoughts about his play are irrelevant at this point. The coach decided he wasn't good enough. Unless he thinks Schneider was just the drizzling *****, why would that viewpoint change now?

Old
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

I would like to keep this thread on topic. This isn't a thread about how bad the officiating has been. I simply wanted to know who the officials were so we could get an idea beforehand how the game might be called. Certain refs call certain things more strictly than other officials do. Knowing who you have before give you an idea of what type of penalties are called, and what types of things slide a bit more.

A) Will it be a tighly called game where you can't get away with anything
B) Will certain things (IE: Obstruction, etc) be called more than other things?
C) Will we have european type refs that call penalties on CLEAN hits, or as Don Cherry/Brian Burke says... "Because they are strong".
D) Will the whistles be put away and they let the boys play?

Closed Thread