HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

WCQF: Game 7 - Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks - Apr 26th - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
valkyrie42ca

vCash: 500
i thought the refs did a pretty good job in game 6 because, following raymond's penalty, they put their whistles in their pockets for anything except the most obvious of calls

I hate it when its cool for the ref's to put their whistles away. Yes after we got a 5 on 3, which i felt was deserved. Really so the hit on bieksa was not a penalty blatant head shot. Yes they sure did a good job of reffing there. No the ref's are not the reason we lost,but we are not getting opportunities we should.

Old
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
It doesn't matter who the refs are, we will continue to get jobbed because we have a great PP. We haven't been getting calls for three months now and it seems pretty damn obvious that officials are scared of our PP.

None of the other series are even close to being as lobsided as this one

Nashville- Anaheim 27-22 5 PP difference
Philly-BUF 31-27 4 PP difference
NYR-Wash 20-16 4 PP difference
Pitt- TBL 25-22 3 PP difference
PHX-DET 18-15 3 PP difference
MTL-BOS 16-15 1 PP difference
LA-SJ 20-20 0 PP difference

CHI-Van 27-16 11 PP difference.
Boils my blood

Old
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Are there any other examples of established starting goalies being benched for a Game 6 and being summoned back to duty for Game 7? I'd like to see them.
in fairness, the epic level of collapse that the canucks are currently on draws almost no parallels

Quote:
Our thoughts about his play are irrelevant at this point. The coach decided he wasn't good enough. Unless he thinks Schneider was just the drizzling *****, why would that viewpoint change now?
well, the whole team wasn't good enough, luongo hasn't been good enough in games 4-6 against the hawks for 3 straight years, and vigneault felt that something drastic was needed to reverse the momentum considering the unprecedented freefall mode the canucks had entered into

Old
04-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

The Canucks know they played a good game in Game 6. Henrik and Bieksa seem to be rallying the troops around that cry. It is absolutely imperative that they bring that same effort into Game 7. I am 100% confident that if they come out with that same type of game, we can end this in our favour. Forget the officiating, it's out of our control. It may have got us a PP goal the other night, it may not have. But we scored 3 goals without the refs' help, and they got some profoundly lucky bounces.

Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds81 View Post
I fully believe you have to just ride Luongo either way for Game 7.

If the Canucks win, he'll be hailed for over-coming the "mental block" of the Hawks and everyone will be proclaiming that he'll now lead the team to glory.

If the Canucks lose, I honestly think Luongo has to be shipped off somewhere else. I don't know where and who would take him but it just seems like he would need a change of scenery.

Biggest moment in franchise history tomorrow night.

One way or another, history will be made.
I don't really understand this. The contract is long, sure, but it's also cap friendly. Luongo's also a goalie you know will play well for you in the regular season. Our franchise might be geared for a cup or bust, but there are a lot of franchises that would be really content picking up a guy that will give them a better chance of making the playoffs.

The list of teams I could see showing interest in Luongo:

Toronto, Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Phoenix/Winnipeg, Tampa Bay.

Old
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Luongo was pouting and didn't want to take shots in warmup - it's on him that he didn't get a decent sweat going pre-game.

You said his confidence was already low yet had a problem with Vigneault trying to switch things up by going with Schneider?

If Luongo wants to be known as a big game goalie he needs to be able to step into any environment and have the fortitude to play his game. He didn't. He didn't look like an NHL calibre goaltender. The goal was bad enough, the horrible rebound control prior to it was even worse.

Why doesn't it feel like we have a goaltending edge for game 7? Why did I see this coming before the series started? I shouldn't be able to see this coming...
Look at who is so pleased with themselves! Do you also have a detailed log of everything you get wrong? Didn't think so.

Your thought process on Luongo needing to come in and be a big game goalie IN RELIEF is absurd at best. For better or worse, Vigneault has decided that Luongo is NOT a big game goalie. When your coach decides that, it's over.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
So why is now everyone suddenly advocating going back to him in Game 7? I'm pegged as one of his biggest supporters and I'm saying it's time to move on.

I think everyone's scared. Scared that they might find out that they can't pin all these losses on one guy.
I don't want him in for game 7. There's just too much pressure on him, he hasn't been able to perform against this team and Schneider's superior rebound control is what is needed right now.

Some people probably want to go with Luongo because if he loses, he has to be moved in the offseason. If Schneider loses, the Canucks won't know how to handle the position moving forward.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Pascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
The Canucks were the better team last night. If they bring that effort in Game 7, I think we win.
Agreed 100%.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
the only thing worse than the canucks collapse is the blame being placed on the officiating and the bettman conspiracy theories whereby the league is apparently doing its best to ensure that the canucks lose the series

i thought the refs did a pretty good job in game 6 because, following raymond's penalty, they put their whistles in their pockets for anything except the most obvious of calls

by obvious, they had to call hodgson for delay of game, had to call the diving penalty on henrik, and had to call the penalty shot on a clear breakaway...those were pretty obvious calls to anybody who is not wearing canuck-tinted glasses

they didn't call the head shot on bieksa because he had possession of the puck and was a carbon copy of the torres hit that everybody advocated was perfectly legal but for the fact that seabrook might not have had the puck (which was correctly called as a 2 minute interference minor)

in the playoffs, all i want is for the officials to put away their whistles except for strict liability penalties, and that's what they did in the second half of game 6

for game 7, i hope they put away the whistles again and let the players decide the outcome

thanks for expressing what you like.
- of course you're the objective one right?
- and an all knowledgeable student of the game?

don't bother slighting my opinions by talking about the colour of my glasses - try having your opinions stand on their own?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
How many times did you watch the game winning goal? It was a deflection, completely changed direction and he had to stretch out to make that save which obviously meant that he couldn't stay upright anymore. I don't get why this is so hard to grasp for people. The deflection save was pretty amazing in the first place.
Yet I can't picture Schneider getting sprawled out completely out of position on a deflection like that - or Crawford either for that matter.

Did you not see Luongo's rebound control and inability to freeze loose pucks? He didn't look NHL calibre. He looked like a terrified rookie...

Old
CCF23

The writing is on the wall for Luongo either way. You go with him because if he wins the payoff is so massive. Luongo has fantastic playoff stats against teams that aren't the Chicago Blackhawks...If you give him game 7 and give him the one last chance in a single game scenario to beat the Hawks you know one way or the other where you stand after the game.

The thing for me is Schneider will be there regardless of whether you start him or not. The best thing for this franchise is to move forward with a confident Luongo as its starter and have Schneider as a trade chip. That's exactly what happens if you give Lou the 7th game and the team pulls out a win.

Old
normtwofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
It doesn't matter who the refs are, we will continue to get jobbed because we have a great PP. We haven't been getting calls for three months now and it seems pretty damn obvious that officials are scared of our PP.

None of the other series are even close to being as lobsided as this one

Nashville- Anaheim 27-22 5 PP difference
Philly-BUF 31-27 4 PP difference
NYR-Wash 20-16 4 PP difference
Pitt- TBL 25-22 3 PP difference
PHX-DET 18-15 3 PP difference
MTL-BOS 16-15 1 PP difference
LA-SJ 20-20 0 PP difference

CHI-Van 27-16 11 PP difference.
Perhaps they are doing a good job...

Old
m9

Why are so many people saying tomorrow is the biggest game in franchise history? How is this bigger than Game 7 94 in NY?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Some people probably want to go with Luongo because if he loses, he has to be moved in the offseason. If Schneider loses, the Canucks won't know how to handle the position moving forward.
It's pretty simple if Schneider loses, they keep both. New head coach = fresh start with the goaltender. Unless a real team comes calling for Luongo, which they might.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Yet I can't picture Schneider getting sprawled out completely out of position on a deflection like that - or Crawford either for that matter.
Maybe it's because most times deflections like that end up in the net... ? Would that be a more acceptable way of losing? People would've blamed him no matter what, even if the final goal was a 5-on-0 breakaway. The fact that people can't see how difficult that first save was just proves it.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Evo

vCash: 883
Nov. 20: Canucks are no-shows and get blown out in embarrassing fashion by the Hawks
Nov. 21: Canucks play much better but fall just short to Phoenix
Canucks then go on massive tear

Apr. 21: Canucks are no-shows and get blown out in embarrassing fashion by the Hawks
Apr. 24: Canucks play much better but fall just short to Chicago
Canucks then go on massive tear

HISTORY WILL BE MADE

Old
04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Look at who is so pleased with themselves! Do you also have a detailed log of everything you get wrong? Didn't think so.

Your thought process on Luongo needing to come in and be a big game goalie IN RELIEF is absurd at best. For better or worse, Vigneault has decided that Luongo is NOT a big game goalie. When your coach decides that, it's over.
Yeah, how absurd. Asking a Vezina finalist to come in and play his game when the team needs him. Are you serious?

Like I said, if Luongo not getting the start for 1 game in this series is enough for him to have a nervous breakdown and fall apart at the seems I don't want him anywhere near this team moving forward.

Old
Canucker

Quote:

Personally I think you are overreacting to a coaching decision that was made due primarily to 1) throw Chicago off balance and mess with their preparation 2) light a fire under his team. If Luongo is incapable of overcoming this apparent "attack" on his ability, credibility and mental stability then he should be relegated to the bench. However, I don't think that will be the case...I think he will rise to the challenge, be a professional and win or lose he will give a quality effort.

Old
CCF23

Quote:
Maybe it's because most times deflections like that end up in the net... ? Would that be a more acceptable way of losing?
We have a winner. People are nuts. That was a great reactionary save by Luongo. The goal was all on Daniel. The refs weren't calling anything and he still lets Smith get his stick loose and position himself to bat in a rebound.

HOOK HIM, HOLD HIM, CROSS CHECK HIM. DO SOMETHING.

Luongo played absolutely fine in relief, especially considering he came in cold and saw all of like 3 or 4 shots in the 3rd period.

Old
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 717
It's pretty simple IMO. If we play as well as we did last night, we'll win. I'd feel more comfortable with Schneider starting, but I'll be shocked if Luongo gets snubbed again.

Old
petrishriekandgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
The thing for me is Schneider will be there regardless of whether you start him or not. The best thing for this franchise is to move forward with a confident Luongo as its starter and have Schneider as a trade chip. That's exactly what happens if you give Lou the 7th game and the team pulls out a win.
Yup...

That's why I thought we should start Schneider yesterday... now all Luongo has to do is focus on ONE WIN, ONE GAME... bring it, he has it in him... we've all seen it. He's even done it in this series against this team.

Once more into the breech dear Orca-wearing-ice-skating-monkey-packing-Canucks.

Old
Edler Revived

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
Perhaps they are doing a good job...
how are your Flames' team handicap coming?

Maybe Kipper's working his off season training regimine? upto 2 packs a day?

Old
04-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Maybe it's because most times deflections like that end up in the net... ? Would that be a more acceptable way of losing? People would've blamed him no matter what, even if the final goal was a 5-on-0 breakaway. The fact that people can't see how difficult that first save was just proves it.
So you thought he looked good in relied?

We must have watched 2 different games. He was lucky the defense cleared the previous rebound on the muffin from the point he dropped into the slot.

Luongo looked as uncomfortable as I've ever seen him last night. If you didn't see it, we can agree to disagree.

Again, Luongo's body of work in the entire series has been fine. I just think he puts too much pressure on himself and will absolutely have to go if we fall at the hands of the Hawks 3 years running.

Old
Basso

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
OR:

- The no-call on the delay of game puck over the glass
- The punch to the face of Burrows at the start of the game
- The even up call at the end of the 2nd where Henrik was cross checked to the ice and got called for diving- the too many men on the ice non-call for the Hawks in OT
on and on...
Totally forgot about that one! Thought we were going to start the 3rd on a PowerPlay, but we didn't notice it got evened out. Wow the refs did a great job masking that one.

Old
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Yup...

That's why I thought we should start Schneider yesterday... now all Luongo has to do is focus on ONE WIN, ONE GAME... bring it, he has it in him... we've all seen it. He's even done it in this series against this team.

Once more into the breech dear Orca-wearing-ice-skating-monkey-packing-Canucks.

People pinning games 4 and 5 on him are completely off base, too. He was a part of the problem, but the team COMPLETELY hung him out to dry. There's not a goalie in this league that doesn't give up 4 or 5 goals at least in both of those games with the kind of grade A chances the Canucks spoon fed the Hawks. Breakaways, 2 on 1s, complete mental breakdowns. When you let Marian Hossa skate untouched into the slot and shoot, he's going to score a good percentage of the time. He's Marian ****ing Hossa.

Closed Thread