HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Welcome to Slovakia, the host of the 2011 WC- some general info and fun trivia

Old
04-27-2011, 03:05 PM
jcbio11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Wow. The arena in Bratislava looks a million times better than it did when I was there in 2005.

I found the public transportation in Bratislava fairly easy to use. And, IIRC, there was a bus that went directly from the train station to the arena.
Yup several.

61 straight from the train station and if you walk maybe 200 feet to the next stop, numbers 61, 74, 204 (this is a trolley bus, all 200s are) all go there as well. I might even have missed some. During the championships, the train station will feature an information stand where they'll tell help you. Also the public transportation is free if you've got a ticket for that day's match.

If you've got time, it's also possible to walk to the arena, I wouldn't recommend this option though, as you'll be basically walking by very busy streets with no real sights nearby. It might take up to 45 minutes and if you're not familiar with the city, you might get lost.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
slovakiasnextone

Regarding the question about the trouble of juniors transitioning to men´s hockey, firstly- the number is for all players registered with the federation even though their playing abroad (being registered with your countries federation is the basic requirement to represent your country at an IIHF sanctioned evend btw)- yes, there is some serious trouble with this as the opporunities for young players in the top league are very limited and the lewgue below that 1.liga is a semi-professional league of a pretty low level and many times playing there is not enough to earn you a living, so we have a lot of young players going to play in places like France for example, where they get better pay and also better conditions overall than in 1.liga or even more of them choose to study or find work that earns them a living. However I wouldn´t say this is an issue that only Slovakia faces, most top countries face this too, you just can´t expect each single junior players or even a half of them to make it to men´s hockey- Sweden for example has "only" around 15 000 men players while the have more than 40 000 junior players.....as far as I know players between the ages of 10-20 are counted to this juniors stat....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Yup several.

61 straight from the train station and if you walk maybe 200 feet to the next stop, numbers 61, 74, 204 (this is a trolley bus, all 200s are) all go there as well. I might even have missed some. During the championships, the train station will feature an information stand where they'll tell help you. Also the public transportation is free if you've got a ticket for that day's match.

If you've got time, it's also possible to walk to the arena, I wouldn't recommend this option though, as you'll be basically walking by very busy streets with no real sights nearby. It might take up to 45 minutes and if you're not familiar with the city, you might get lost.
I think I´ve read that they even renamed some of the bus stops for the event....

Old
04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Any issues with American and Western European travelers being kidnapped and auctioned-or was that an early 2000s trend?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Any issues with American and Western European travelers being kidnapped and auctioned-or was that an early 2000s trend?
Well, I think there are just two answers for you:
1. Really good joke...
2. You're really gullible American (when you make a opinion about a country through **** movies like Hostel...)

Last edited by Systemfel: 04-28-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
rmartin65

I know the actual schedule is on the official website, but I was wondering if there are any exhibition games tomorrow?

rmartin65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I know the actual schedule is on the official website, but I was wondering if there are any exhibition games tomorrow?
I can't find anything too, but according to
http://www.iihf.com/channels-11/iihf...ion-games.html
it looks like no exhibition games tommorow...

Old
04-28-2011, 03:05 AM
alko

Quote:
oh my god ... are you serious? or its some joke?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Chara-3

Quote:
Last WC I got on cheap 2 Americans. Tasted good.

Chara-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 04:59 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chara-3 View Post
Last WC I got on cheap 2 Americans. Tasted good.
I prefer canadiens, americans are really fat and salty.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Erathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I prefer canadiens, americans are really fat and salty.
You are quite choosy, aren't you?

Erathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:59 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
1. Really good joke...
2. You're really gullible American (when you make a opinion about a country through **** movies like Hostel...)
I want to believe he was just kidding, but as any of us who has ever been to the "West" has suffered through being told stuff like what a microwave is up to being asked whether we still rode horse carriages I wouldn´t be 100% sure about that.......

Good ones, Chara-3 and begbee.......though I personally have build a preference for the Scandinavians over the years......

Last edited by Systemfel: 04-28-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old
04-28-2011, 06:37 AM
begbeee

Actually, it was only few months ago, when I was asked by englishman if the stuff in Hostel is real...

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Savolainen

I plan to go to Bratislava with the train from Austria on Saturday. Well, I'm sure there aren't any tickets for the Cze-Lat game but do yu think it's possible to get tickets for Fin-Den some hours before the game?

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:56 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savolainen View Post
I plan to go to Bratislava with the train from Austria on Saturday. Well, I'm sure there aren't any tickets for the Cze-Lat game but do yu think it's possible to get tickets for Fin-Den some hours before the game?
Looking here ticketportal says "kúpiť" (buy) at the FIN-DEN game, while for all Slovakia games it says sold out and for all Czech games N/A, so there should still be tickets for this game.

EDIT: Though I think it would be safest if you bought the tickets online at the webpage I linked, there´s an English version too, when you click on the flag....

Old
04-28-2011, 07:34 AM
likid

Hi,

me and my friends are comming to Bratislava on Sunday to watch match between Slovenia and Russia. We'll come by car.

My questions are:

- is it easy to reach hall (we're comming from Vienna)?
- how it is with parking around the hall?
- we plan to come to Bratislava in the morning, then to leave car somewhere close to hall and go with public transport around Bratislava. Is this plan OK or we should go around Bratislava with the car and then come with car to hall before the game?

Thanks for help in advance.

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:52 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by likid View Post
Hi,

me and my friends are comming to Bratislava on Sunday to watch match between Slovenia and Russia. We'll come by car.

My questions are:

- is it easy to reach hall (we're comming from Vienna)?
- how it is with parking around the hall?
- we plan to come to Bratislava in the morning, then to leave car somewhere close to hall and go with public transport around Bratislava. Is this plan OK or we should go around Bratislava with the car and then come with car to hall before the game?

Thanks for help in advance.
Bratislava´s advice is that you should leave your car at one of the four parking lots, from where there will be publis transport right to the arena, which is free for you if you have tickets for a WC game- you can use the WC ticket as a bus ticket.

Here´s an article about the restrictions and the public transport, in Slovak only though, but maybe you can try google translate and then ask here for the things that google translate doesn´t help with.

This picture shows restrections around the arena in Bratislava:

From what I´ve read people who live there and who have firms will have a priority to get in around the arena, but there might not even be enough parking spots for them, so I´d say going to the hall by car is a pretty bad idea.

This map shows the four parking spots, where you can leave your car and get on the public transport (as it will go right from there and some of the stops have even been renamed to "Orange Arena", "Fan Village" etc. it shouldn´t be hard to get to the hall even without any konwledge of Slovak):

Maybe, someone from the Slovaks here can explain this better as this is by far not my area of expertise and I don´t know Bratislava that well, so maybe jcbio11 would be the most competent to answer this....

Old
04-28-2011, 07:56 AM
nullmeatbag

Anyone know of a cheap way to get to Kosice from Vienna or Bratislava? All the trains I've found are almost $100

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganizedSlime View Post
Anyone know of a cheap way to get to Kosice from Vienna or Bratislava? All the trains I've found are almost $100
Where did you search? You can get by train from Bratislava to Košice for around 20 Euros. As far as I know the best way to get from BA to KE by train is the IC train.

Here, just write:
odkiaľ: Bratislava hl. st.
kam: Košice

click on "len priame spojenia" (just direct connections)

and set the date and time

and you will probably find a number of trains....as I said an IC train is considered the bets option.....

Old
04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
1. Really good joke...
Just joking! Slovakia looks great. I'd love to visit that part of Europe at some point.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:59 AM
slovakiasnextone

Old
04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Everyone knows Slovak children kill for bubble gum..

Last edited by Harv: 04-28-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Everyone knows Slovak children kill for bubble gum..
I usually kill for fun, but that's just me.

Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
nullmeatbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Where did you search? You can get by train from Bratislava to Košice for around 20 Euros. As far as I know the best way to get from BA to KE by train is the IC train.

Here, just write:
odkiaľ: Bratislava hl. st.
kam: Košice

click on "len priame spojenia" (just direct connections)

and set the date and time

and you will probably find a number of trains....as I said an IC train is considered the bets option.....
Awesome - thanks.

Anyone have any ideas as to things to do in Kosice aside from hockey?

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Maybe it can help to somebody. This is a map of traffic restrictions in Košice:

In the right top corner is Hlavná street (Main street) at the end of the city center (there's located a fan village - near the Double Tree by Hilton hotel). Steel aréna is the red rectangle in the middle. As you can see, some streets by Steel aréna are closed. Alternate routes are yellow. You can use public transport (purple dotted line).

Last edited by Krotak: 04-28-2011 at 03:29 PM.