HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Game 7: Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks (Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

vCash: 500
It wasn't even a commercial timeout. At the first stoppage after the 10 minute mark they shovel the ice away from the goals.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
It wasn't even a commercial timeout. At the first stoppage after the 10 minute mark they shovel the ice away from the goals.
Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Please point me to the NHL rulebook provision that states that an icing call would not follow the same treatment as it would with TV timeouts.

hplovecraft

Quote:
Please point me to the NHL rulebook provision that states that an icing call would not follow the same treatment as it would with TV timeouts.
Why does it need to specifically say that? The rule you quote repeatedly states "no commercial time-out" in a number of different circumstances; however, there are NO commercial time-outs in OT already, so none of that rule applies.

None.

This isn't complicated.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
Did he? (not asking sarcastically) But Gillis questioning the refs is not the same as a Coach.
Yes he did. He claimed that Chicago would have scored 4 goals on a 5 minute penalty that the Canucks should have gotten but didn't.

Also, what about Scotty Bowman going to the officials after game 2? Albeit it was done privately, he seems to have had a huge effect on the way the series has been officiated when you compare the first two games with the next 4.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
I'm sorry, but to say the Blackhawks aren't obstructing is just ridiculous. I'm not saying we lost because of it, but keep the calls even. If you're gonna penalize Torres for that goaltender interference, you have to call Bolland's slash on Sedin and a ton of other non-calls. The calls they missed weren't questionable, they were blatantly obvious.
Calls are missed on both sides, every game, every series.

That the Canucks are the only team whining about it from GM to fan base is a reflection on them, not the officiating.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Rule 87.1:

I guess the rules don't apply when Chicago gets caught on an icing call in overtime?
How does this rule apply in OT when there are no TV Timeouts? This wasn't a TV timeout, Chicago requested the ice be cleaned which can only be requested after the 10min mark in OT.

There are no rules regarding this, so it's kind of like a circumvention of the rule, much like circumventing the cap. If there is no rule against it, the ref's have to allow it.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
Why does it need to specifically say that? The rule you quote repeatedly states "no commercial time-out" in a number of different circumstances; however, there are NO commercial time-outs in OT already, so none of that rule applies.

None.

This isn't complicated.
I can't even find a provision that states there's a mini break at the midway point of the period. But even so, wouldn't it be logical that icings receive the same treatment as it is still a non-coaches timeout?

Old
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Just wondering......

Who was on the ice for the Hawks when they were called for that icing? Who did the Canucks being out after they cleaned/fixed the ice?

Old
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Larmer View Post
uh yea, so do you have a clip? I haven't seen the play and honestly just want to see what the fuss is about

Pretty standard really:

Crawford freezes the puck.
Sedin tries to pitchfork it out from underneath him.
Bolland 2 hands Sedins stick.
Sedin contemplates a dive.
Vancouver fans add another excuse to their monumental implosion.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Musicman798

Quote:
Oooh! I can play this game. Please point out to me where in the rule you quoted it says anything about scraping the ice? You can't just look at one rule and assume that the same principle applies in every other situation.

Old
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
Man, that Mike Gillis really is whining there isn't he... he's making it sound as if it's a fixed game...

Anyone can rattle off missed calls (ON BOTH SIDES). The refs aren't the reason your team blew a 3-0 lead. Be a man, and play the game. The Canucks should be good enough that a missed call here and there SHOULDN'T affect the outcome of their season. You're asking for trouble if you put yourself in a position where you're dependent on a call.
It shouldn't but it could affect the outcome. Refs in the playoffs are the same refs in the regular season, and really, it's not like refs have never changed a game (ie. a team won when it wasn't supposed to). That being said, as I said in previous posts, in games 4 and 5 the Canucks deserved to lose. As for game 6, I'm saying there were missed calls but if Chicago would've hypothetically killed them off then fair enough, nothing changes and then you can pull out the "blame your players for not playing well enough" card.

Plus, it's not like I'm Coach Q here saying we would've scored 4 goals on 4 extra minutes of powerplay time. But considering the Canucks were mainly (I say mainly because I know Chicago had their push backs|) dictating play, I'm pretty confident they'd have scored 1 goal on a powerplay or two. But as I said, if Chicago stopped them, then fair enough.

Old
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

The ice was pretty messed up around the Hawks net because virtually the entire period was played there.

Old
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Pressure is obviously all on the Canucks. Not only for the choke factor, but Chicago has already beaten the Canucks twice in the playoffs, and has their Cup. For the Blackhawks to pull this off would gravy. Unlike the Flyers last year, the Blackhawks don't have anything to prove.
Yep

I believe the phrase that best applies is "Playing with House Money"

Old
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianCommitted View Post
Nope. But I sure wish I had one of Bollie's hit on Hamhuis
When complaining about the officiating, people tend to forget about the incredibly soft plays like that one by Hamhuis that define games.

It's been this way for the past two series with these teams: Canucks look like world-beaters early, fade, start giving up bad goals, and ultimately lose to a team who takes it to them more and more the longer the series goes. Basically, the Hawks evolve during the playoffs while the Canucks unravel.

At this rate i'll be shocked if the Canucks take game 7. But the win they'd earn might be enough to propel them far. It would be miraculous, despite their standing this season.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Hawkaholic

There is a reason the Canucks get called for much more penalties than Chicago. They can't keep up with the speed at times, they get frustrated and take stupid penalties, etc.

Clearly they aren't playing within the rules as much as Chicago is.

Show me a penalty that should of been called against Chicago, and i'll show you a penalty that should have been called against Vancouver. Get over it you bunch of freaking babies.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman798 View Post
Oooh! I can play this game. Please point out to me where in the rule you quoted it says anything about scraping the ice? You can't just look at one rule and assume that the same principle applies in every other situation.
There is no rule that says anything about scraping the ice. Ergo, it was a blatant opportunity for the referees to find a way to give Chicago an extra break.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
How does this rule apply in OT when there are no TV Timeouts? This wasn't a TV timeout, Chicago requested the ice be cleaned which can only be requested after the 10min mark in OT.

There are no rules regarding this, so it's kind of like a circumvention of the rule, much like circumventing the cap. If there is no rule against it, the ref's have to allow it.

This exactly.

You got outplayed Van fans.

Deal with it.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
There is a reason the Canucks get called for much more penalties than Chicago. They can't keep up with the speed at times, they get frustrated and take stupid penalties, etc.

Show me a penalty that should of been called against Chicago, and i'll show you a penalty that should have been called against Vancouver. Get over it you bunch of freaking babies.
You're right. The Canucks couldn't keep up with the speed of the Hawks which is what led to Bolland 2-hand slashing Sedin's stick that went undetected, and it's what led to Burrows getting clipped with a high stick that went undetected. It's what led to Scott punching burrows in the face which went uncalled too. Right? Did I get that right?

Old
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
The ice was pretty messed up around the Hawks net because virtually the entire period was played there.
If they didn't take an official timeout to fix the ice there would probably be people complaining about the ice surface in the Hawks zone.

"The puck is bouncing all over the place in the offensive zone for the Canucks. They aren't fixing it on purpose because it's a conspiracy!"

Old
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
rypper

Quote:

missed calls happen both sides, but you can admit the hit on bieksa should have been a call.

Old
Musicman798

Quote:
There is no rule that says anything about scraping the ice. Ergo, it was a blatant opportunity for the referees to find a way to give Chicago an extra break.
So this happens, there is no precedent set for the situation in the past and the refs make a decision. It happens to go against your team, so that must mean the refs are out to get you. So sorry for your loss.

Old
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
When complaining about the officiating, people tend to forget about the incredibly soft plays like that one by Hamhuis that define games.

It's been this way for the past two series with these teams: Canucks look like world-beaters early, fade, start giving up bad goals, and ultimately lose to a team who takes it to them more and more the longer the series goes. Basically, the Hawks evolve during the playoffs while the Canucks unravel.

At this rate i'll be shocked if the Canucks take game 7. But the win they'd earn might be enough to propel them far. It would be miraculous, despite their standing this season.
I am the opposite. If Canucks take game 7, I don't think they will go far. There is nothing that I see from game 4,5 and 6 that shows sense of urgency. Sure, they played better in game 6, but they have not step it up on the playoff level. Other teams are licking their chops right now, they know if Canucks get behind and under pressure more likely they will choke.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:

Hi. I am the VP of marketing for Alcan aluminum foil. Please PM about a possible sponsorship offer I have for you.

Old
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
Calls are missed on both sides, every game, every series.

That the Canucks are the only team whining about it from GM to fan base is a reflection on them, not the officiating.
As others have said above me, Coach Q whined about the 4 goals in 5 minutes thing and Bowman after game 2. Canucks aren't the only ones.

Old
hplovecraft

Quote:
I can't even find a provision that states there's a mini break at the midway point of the period. But even so, wouldn't it be logical that icings receive the same treatment as it is still a non-coaches timeout?
No, what is logical is following just what is written in the rule: "no commercial time-out." That is the only wording that matters -- there is no such term as a "non-coaches time-out" in the rule. It's quite clear if you just follow it as it is written and apply it to circumstances like this.

Not sure where the 10-minute rule is locate or if it's some sort of addendum recently.

Closed Thread