HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Game 7: Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks (Part VI)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
  #101
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Also, what about Scotty Bowman going to the officials after game 2? Albeit it was done privately, he seems to have had a huge effect on the way the series has been officiated when you compare the first two games with the next 4.
Scotty has been a big factor in the Hawks' turnaround. When he talks, the NHL listens. And why not? Chicago was previously a huge, but largely untapped market for years and years before his arrival.

Gillis is a smart man, but he doesn't have near the clout as a Scotty Bowman.

Everybody should tip their hat to the greatest hockey mind who ever lived.

TOML is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
  #102
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I am the opposite. If Canucks take game 7, I don't think they will go far. There is nothing that I see from game 4,5 and 6 that shows sense of urgency. Sure, they played better in game 6, but they have not step it up on the playoff level. Other teams are licking their chops right now, they know if Canucks get behind and under pressure more likely they will choke.
Especially this guy......


Avs_19 is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
  #103
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 12,090
vCash: 500
So Gillis is doing this as a "distraction" to take some pressure off his team? Ha, gonna have to do more than that, honey. Might want to light the mascot on fire. Or the arena. That "may" take the heat off of them, no pun intended.

If he wants to go after the officials like that, then fine. Although, he looks pretty stupid for doing so when his own team was fully responsible for the meltdown in Games 4 and 5. That said, if the Canucks lose, I fully expect him to go back on the radio/tv and blast his own players/coaches. It's only fair. Because they have failed to do their jobs as well. If they blow this, and he doesn't go and own up to his own team's repeated failures, then he's going to do further damage regarding his club's reputation. People wonder why so many turn against Vancouver and their fans. It's not because of the mass number of them. It's because of their finger pointing that is rarely aimed in their own direction.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
  #104
amit916
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
It shouldn't but it could affect the outcome. Refs in the playoffs are the same refs in the regular season, and really, it's not like refs have never changed a game (ie. a team won when it wasn't supposed to). That being said, as I said in previous posts, in games 4 and 5 the Canucks deserved to lose. As for game 6, I'm saying there were missed calls but if Chicago would've hypothetically killed them off then fair enough, nothing changes and then you can pull out the "blame your players for not playing well enough" card.

Plus, it's not like I'm Coach Q here saying we would've scored 4 goals on 4 extra minutes of powerplay time. But considering the Canucks were mainly (I say mainly because I know Chicago had their push backs|) dictating play, I'm pretty confident they'd have scored 1 goal on a powerplay or two. But as I said, if Chicago stopped them, then fair enough.
I can understand that in a game or two...but over a 7 game series, the refs do not decide the outcome, I like to think that teams know what to expect (Torres didn't get suspended, Bickell shouldn't either...Torres gets pushed into Crawford, gets called, exact same play with the Hawks in Game 1, it honestly goes both ways). I can understand the frustration though.

The Canucks hit 2 posts, had a couple 2on1's and a 4on2...plus they literally gave 2 games away to the Hawks.

amit916 is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
  #105
BrinkOfGreatness*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
Didn't that Sedin slash a lot of people are mad about happen when he was chipping away at a puck Crawford had frozen? What's the point of a penalty there?

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
  #106
kcunac
Registered User
 
kcunac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
There is nothing that I see from game 4,5 and 6 that shows sense of urgency. Sure, they played better in game 6, but they have not step it up on the playoff level.
I wish people would wake up and realize that the Canucks did step it up in game 6. 2 CHI goals off a rookie goaltender (who was called into action the afternoon of) misplaying the puck and a PS (officiating notwithstanding). The rest of the team played great, Sedins included.

We probably deserved some bad karma after the way we played games 4 and 5. But it's not like we're the first team to come out weak after building up a huge lead in a series. Game 5 of the PIT-TB series for example.

kcunac is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
  #107
sabresandcanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
So Gillis is doing this as a "distraction" to take some pressure off his team? Ha, gonna have to do more than that, honey. Might want to light the mascot on fire. Or the arena. That "may" take the heat off of them, no pun intended.

If he wants to go after the officials like that, then fine. Although, he looks pretty stupid for doing so when his own team was fully responsible for the meltdown in Games 4 and 5. That said, if the Canucks lose, I fully expect him to go back on the radio/tv and blast his own players/coaches. It's only fair. Because they have failed to do their jobs as well. If they blow this, and he doesn't go and own up to his own team's repeated failures, then he's going to do further damage regarding his club's reputation. People wonder why so many turn against Vancouver and their fans. It's not because of the mass number of them. It's because of their finger pointing that is rarely aimed in their own direction.
Yes this is true, but every fan base has loud mouths. Vancouver's regular season success coupled with playoff futility makes them easy targets. They are the perfect blend of good ( to get the band wagoners and loud mouths ) and bad ( playoff failure ) to attract everyone into their threads.

Still...If people take the time to log on to the net and post hate on the Canucks that means the Canucks are deemed worthy of their attention. If Vancouver really did suck nobody would bother wasting their time on them.

sabresandcanucks is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
  #108
rypper
Registered User
 
rypper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,951
vCash: 500
I'm a diehard canucks fan but I can openly admit the sedins certainly "sell" alot of the hits. It's funny to be around other canucks fans and cal then on it.

rypper is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
  #109
RollingPuck
Registered User
 
RollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
plus they literally gave 2 games away to the Hawks.
I assume you mean the blowouts? How about a little credit to the Hawks for outplaying them for 60 minutes?

RollingPuck is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
  #110
BrinkOfGreatness*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
You're right. The Canucks couldn't keep up with the speed of the Hawks which is what led to Bolland 2-hand slashing Sedin's stick that went undetected, and it's what led to Burrows getting clipped with a high stick that went undetected. It's what led to Scott punching burrows in the face which went uncalled too. Right? Did I get that right?
What time were these alleged penalties at (Burrows one). I'll stick up some video and we can look at them.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
  #111
kcunac
Registered User
 
kcunac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
I highly doubt DET is 'licking their chops' at Vancouver. If they're smart (and I believe they are) they're probably focusing on their next opponent.

kcunac is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
  #112
amit916
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
I assume you mean the blowouts? How about a little credit to the Hawks for outplaying them for 60 minutes?
I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can damnit lol...yes the Hawks deserve credit because they dissected the Canucks with their passes and really got to Luongo.

amit916 is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
  #113
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman
 
KevinBXA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Roxy
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
you canucks fans make me sick! there's a reason i cant cheer for them anymore, the fans. as someone living in the lower mainland i cannot believe how much whining i have heard the last couple days. MY GOD, why is it always the refs fault, the arenas fault for scraping the ice or some other tiny thing that you blow up into some crazy conspiracy theory! if you think the worlds out to get the canucks you need to be tied down in a straight jacket and deprogrammed!

Lets say the refs and league ARE out to get the canucks, why watch hockey? there just taking your money and scripting the games right? might as well jump off the bandwagon!

I don't understand why there's always some other reason why the canucks lose, chicago was the better team for 3 games, DEAL WITH IT!

also, swedes dive? when did this start happening?

end rant

i also want to clarify that most REAL canucks fans are very nice, unfortunately its drunken idiots at games or the keyboard warriors at home who make the canucks fanbase look petty and stupid.

KevinBXA is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
  #114
BrinkOfGreatness*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
Detroit is the clear favourite going ahead IMO. Sweep without two of their top players. SJ is close too.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
  #115
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
I can understand that in a game or two...but over a 7 game series, the refs do not decide the outcome, I like to think that teams know what to expect (Torres didn't get suspended, Bickell shouldn't either...Torres gets pushed into Crawford, gets called, exact same play with the Hawks in Game 1, it honestly goes both ways). I can understand the frustration though.

The Canucks hit 2 posts, had a couple 2on1's and a 4on2...plus they literally gave 2 games away to the Hawks.
Agreed with all that. I only saw the Bickell hit twice, but from what I saw I think the initial contact was with the shoulder, nonetheless, I don't think he should be suspended either. And agreed with everything in your second part too.

Ski Powder is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
  #116
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
I wish people would wake up and realize that the Canucks did step it up in game 6. 2 CHI goals off a rookie goaltender (who was called into action the afternoon of) misplaying the puck and a PS (officiating notwithstanding). The rest of the team played great, Sedins included.
Canucks scored 2 goals off of Chicago turnovers
See? I can play that game too.

To be fair, I don't think you'll find any reasonable fan denying the fact that the Canucks played much better in Game 6. They were a lot more effective, but ultimately this series is still going 7 games after Vancouver had a 3-0 lead, so you'll have plenty of naysayers (and to be quite honest, most of what they are saying is perfectly fair).

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
  #117
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 12,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Yes this is true, but every fan base has loud mouths. Vancouver's regular season success coupled with playoff futility makes them easy targets. They are the perfect blend of good ( to get the band wagoners and loud mouths ) and bad ( playoff failure ) to attract everyone into their threads.

Still...If people take the time to log on to the net and post hate on the Canucks that means the Canucks are deemed worthy of their attention. If Vancouver really did suck nobody would bother wasting their time on them.
Absolutely agree. Every team has some bad apples when it comes to fans. Personally, I tend to get frustrated with most of the Canucks' fans that I know simply because I get their "regular season" success shoved in my face each year. And that's fine. Who wouldn't get excited and throw out predictions when your team is doing so well. But what drives me over the edge is when they struggle in the postseason, they never own up to it. It's always someone else's fault. And it plays like a broken record every year. Seeing Gillis do this just makes it worse, especially since we all know what happened in Games 4 and 5.

That said, I do know some great Canucks' fans who are respectful and willing to admit when their own team screws up. It's just that so many bad apples drown them out.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
  #118
Mules
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
I highly doubt DET is 'licking their chops' at Vancouver. If they're smart (and I believe they are) they're probably focusing on their next opponent.
I said the opponents. I didn't say DET.

Quote:
i also want to clarify that most REAL canucks fans are very nice, unfortunately its drunken idiots at games or the keyboard warriors at home who make the canucks fanbase look petty and stupid.[/
I agreed.

Mules is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
  #119
Parise09*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
It doesn't matter if they win against Chicago, they're going to get swept by Detroit. Vancouver is a very mentally weak team.

Parise09* is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
  #120
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
I assume you mean the blowouts? How about a little credit to the Hawks for outplaying them for 60 minutes?
Yes, the Hawks played very well in those games. But I think his point was that the Canucks didn't show up either, and we're not trying to discredit the Hawks on that one. But the reason for any blowout, be it those games or any blow out during the regular season, is because one team shows up and the other didn't. That being said, even if the Canucks did show up for those games, I'm not saying they would've won anyways, just the score would've been closer. Hawks deserve full credit for coming out like that after being down 3-0 and forcing a game 7.

Ski Powder is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
  #121
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,181
vCash: 50
Pretty good article that focuses what us long serving (see suffering) Canuck fans are dealing with:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...e-a-franchise/

mrmyheadhurts is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
  #122
rypper
Registered User
 
rypper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,951
vCash: 500
I think most real canucks fans aren't calling fit a suspension on bickell just wanted a call.

rypper is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 07:55 PM
  #123
Mules
Ouch!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
Yes, the Hawks played very well in those games. But I think his point was that the Canucks didn't show up either, and we're not trying to discredit the Hawks on that one. But the reason for any blowout, be it those games or any blow out during the regular season, is because one team shows up and the other didn't. That being said, even if the Canucks did show up for those games, I'm not saying they would've won anyways, just the score would've been closer. Hawks deserve full credit for coming out like that after being down 3-0 and forcing a game 7.
So, really whose fault is it that Canucks forgot to show up on game 4 and 5?

Mules is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
  #124
jimmythescot
Registered User
 
jimmythescot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
So, really whose fault is it that Canucks forgot to show up on game 4 and 5?
This isn't an excuse if they lose the series because they should have won last night, but it seems pretty plausible that most of the team was ill. Nobody other than Hodgson seemed to have any energy during those two games.

jimmythescot is offline  
Old
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
  #125
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
So, really whose fault is it that Canucks forgot to show up on game 4 and 5?
The Canucks. They handed them those games by not showing up. As I said, even if they did show up, I have no idea if they would've won because the Hawks played great. What are you looking for?

If you're looking for the answer "It's the Hawks' fault that the Canucks forgot to show up" then I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Ski Powder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.