HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Game 7: Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks (Part VI)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
TOML

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Also, what about Scotty Bowman going to the officials after game 2? Albeit it was done privately, he seems to have had a huge effect on the way the series has been officiated when you compare the first two games with the next 4.
Scotty has been a big factor in the Hawks' turnaround. When he talks, the NHL listens. And why not? Chicago was previously a huge, but largely untapped market for years and years before his arrival.

Gillis is a smart man, but he doesn't have near the clout as a Scotty Bowman.

Everybody should tip their hat to the greatest hockey mind who ever lived.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I am the opposite. If Canucks take game 7, I don't think they will go far. There is nothing that I see from game 4,5 and 6 that shows sense of urgency. Sure, they played better in game 6, but they have not step it up on the playoff level. Other teams are licking their chops right now, they know if Canucks get behind and under pressure more likely they will choke.
Especially this guy......

Old
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

So Gillis is doing this as a "distraction" to take some pressure off his team? Ha, gonna have to do more than that, honey. Might want to light the mascot on fire. Or the arena. That "may" take the heat off of them, no pun intended.

If he wants to go after the officials like that, then fine. Although, he looks pretty stupid for doing so when his own team was fully responsible for the meltdown in Games 4 and 5. That said, if the Canucks lose, I fully expect him to go back on the radio/tv and blast his own players/coaches. It's only fair. Because they have failed to do their jobs as well. If they blow this, and he doesn't go and own up to his own team's repeated failures, then he's going to do further damage regarding his club's reputation. People wonder why so many turn against Vancouver and their fans. It's not because of the mass number of them. It's because of their finger pointing that is rarely aimed in their own direction.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
amit916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
It shouldn't but it could affect the outcome. Refs in the playoffs are the same refs in the regular season, and really, it's not like refs have never changed a game (ie. a team won when it wasn't supposed to). That being said, as I said in previous posts, in games 4 and 5 the Canucks deserved to lose. As for game 6, I'm saying there were missed calls but if Chicago would've hypothetically killed them off then fair enough, nothing changes and then you can pull out the "blame your players for not playing well enough" card.

Plus, it's not like I'm Coach Q here saying we would've scored 4 goals on 4 extra minutes of powerplay time. But considering the Canucks were mainly (I say mainly because I know Chicago had their push backs|) dictating play, I'm pretty confident they'd have scored 1 goal on a powerplay or two. But as I said, if Chicago stopped them, then fair enough.
I can understand that in a game or two...but over a 7 game series, the refs do not decide the outcome, I like to think that teams know what to expect (Torres didn't get suspended, Bickell shouldn't either...Torres gets pushed into Crawford, gets called, exact same play with the Hawks in Game 1, it honestly goes both ways). I can understand the frustration though.

The Canucks hit 2 posts, had a couple 2on1's and a 4on2...plus they literally gave 2 games away to the Hawks.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Didn't that Sedin slash a lot of people are mad about happen when he was chipping away at a puck Crawford had frozen? What's the point of a penalty there?

Old
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
kcunac

Quote:
There is nothing that I see from game 4,5 and 6 that shows sense of urgency. Sure, they played better in game 6, but they have not step it up on the playoff level.
I wish people would wake up and realize that the Canucks did step it up in game 6. 2 CHI goals off a rookie goaltender (who was called into action the afternoon of) misplaying the puck and a PS (officiating notwithstanding). The rest of the team played great, Sedins included.

We probably deserved some bad karma after the way we played games 4 and 5. But it's not like we're the first team to come out weak after building up a huge lead in a series. Game 5 of the PIT-TB series for example.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
So Gillis is doing this as a "distraction" to take some pressure off his team? Ha, gonna have to do more than that, honey. Might want to light the mascot on fire. Or the arena. That "may" take the heat off of them, no pun intended.

If he wants to go after the officials like that, then fine. Although, he looks pretty stupid for doing so when his own team was fully responsible for the meltdown in Games 4 and 5. That said, if the Canucks lose, I fully expect him to go back on the radio/tv and blast his own players/coaches. It's only fair. Because they have failed to do their jobs as well. If they blow this, and he doesn't go and own up to his own team's repeated failures, then he's going to do further damage regarding his club's reputation. People wonder why so many turn against Vancouver and their fans. It's not because of the mass number of them. It's because of their finger pointing that is rarely aimed in their own direction.
Yes this is true, but every fan base has loud mouths. Vancouver's regular season success coupled with playoff futility makes them easy targets. They are the perfect blend of good ( to get the band wagoners and loud mouths ) and bad ( playoff failure ) to attract everyone into their threads.

Still...If people take the time to log on to the net and post hate on the Canucks that means the Canucks are deemed worthy of their attention. If Vancouver really did suck nobody would bother wasting their time on them.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
rypper

I'm a diehard canucks fan but I can openly admit the sedins certainly "sell" alot of the hits. It's funny to be around other canucks fans and cal then on it.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
RollingPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
plus they literally gave 2 games away to the Hawks.
I assume you mean the blowouts? How about a little credit to the Hawks for outplaying them for 60 minutes?

Old
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
You're right. The Canucks couldn't keep up with the speed of the Hawks which is what led to Bolland 2-hand slashing Sedin's stick that went undetected, and it's what led to Burrows getting clipped with a high stick that went undetected. It's what led to Scott punching burrows in the face which went uncalled too. Right? Did I get that right?
What time were these alleged penalties at (Burrows one). I'll stick up some video and we can look at them.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
kcunac

I highly doubt DET is 'licking their chops' at Vancouver. If they're smart (and I believe they are) they're probably focusing on their next opponent.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
amit916

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
I assume you mean the blowouts? How about a little credit to the Hawks for outplaying them for 60 minutes?
I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can damnit lol...yes the Hawks deserve credit because they dissected the Canucks with their passes and really got to Luongo.

Old
KevinBXA
Professional Caveman

you canucks fans make me sick! there's a reason i cant cheer for them anymore, the fans. as someone living in the lower mainland i cannot believe how much whining i have heard the last couple days. MY GOD, why is it always the refs fault, the arenas fault for scraping the ice or some other tiny thing that you blow up into some crazy conspiracy theory! if you think the worlds out to get the canucks you need to be tied down in a straight jacket and deprogrammed!

Lets say the refs and league ARE out to get the canucks, why watch hockey? there just taking your money and scripting the games right? might as well jump off the bandwagon!

I don't understand why there's always some other reason why the canucks lose, chicago was the better team for 3 games, DEAL WITH IT!

also, swedes dive? when did this start happening?

end rant

i also want to clarify that most REAL canucks fans are very nice, unfortunately its drunken idiots at games or the keyboard warriors at home who make the canucks fanbase look petty and stupid.

Old
BrinkOfGreatness*

Detroit is the clear favourite going ahead IMO. Sweep without two of their top players. SJ is close too.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit916 View Post
I can understand that in a game or two...but over a 7 game series, the refs do not decide the outcome, I like to think that teams know what to expect (Torres didn't get suspended, Bickell shouldn't either...Torres gets pushed into Crawford, gets called, exact same play with the Hawks in Game 1, it honestly goes both ways). I can understand the frustration though.

The Canucks hit 2 posts, had a couple 2on1's and a 4on2...plus they literally gave 2 games away to the Hawks.
Agreed with all that. I only saw the Bickell hit twice, but from what I saw I think the initial contact was with the shoulder, nonetheless, I don't think he should be suspended either. And agreed with everything in your second part too.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
I wish people would wake up and realize that the Canucks did step it up in game 6. 2 CHI goals off a rookie goaltender (who was called into action the afternoon of) misplaying the puck and a PS (officiating notwithstanding). The rest of the team played great, Sedins included.
Canucks scored 2 goals off of Chicago turnovers
See? I can play that game too.

To be fair, I don't think you'll find any reasonable fan denying the fact that the Canucks played much better in Game 6. They were a lot more effective, but ultimately this series is still going 7 games after Vancouver had a 3-0 lead, so you'll have plenty of naysayers (and to be quite honest, most of what they are saying is perfectly fair).

Old
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Yes this is true, but every fan base has loud mouths. Vancouver's regular season success coupled with playoff futility makes them easy targets. They are the perfect blend of good ( to get the band wagoners and loud mouths ) and bad ( playoff failure ) to attract everyone into their threads.

Still...If people take the time to log on to the net and post hate on the Canucks that means the Canucks are deemed worthy of their attention. If Vancouver really did suck nobody would bother wasting their time on them.
Absolutely agree. Every team has some bad apples when it comes to fans. Personally, I tend to get frustrated with most of the Canucks' fans that I know simply because I get their "regular season" success shoved in my face each year. And that's fine. Who wouldn't get excited and throw out predictions when your team is doing so well. But what drives me over the edge is when they struggle in the postseason, they never own up to it. It's always someone else's fault. And it plays like a broken record every year. Seeing Gillis do this just makes it worse, especially since we all know what happened in Games 4 and 5.

That said, I do know some great Canucks' fans who are respectful and willing to admit when their own team screws up. It's just that so many bad apples drown them out.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunac View Post
I highly doubt DET is 'licking their chops' at Vancouver. If they're smart (and I believe they are) they're probably focusing on their next opponent.
I said the opponents. I didn't say DET.

Quote:
i also want to clarify that most REAL canucks fans are very nice, unfortunately its drunken idiots at games or the keyboard warriors at home who make the canucks fanbase look petty and stupid.[/
I agreed.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Parise09*

It doesn't matter if they win against Chicago, they're going to get swept by Detroit. Vancouver is a very mentally weak team.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPuck View Post
Yes, the Hawks played very well in those games. But I think his point was that the Canucks didn't show up either, and we're not trying to discredit the Hawks on that one. But the reason for any blowout, be it those games or any blow out during the regular season, is because one team shows up and the other didn't. That being said, even if the Canucks did show up for those games, I'm not saying they would've won anyways, just the score would've been closer. Hawks deserve full credit for coming out like that after being down 3-0 and forcing a game 7.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Pretty good article that focuses what us long serving (see suffering) Canuck fans are dealing with:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...e-a-franchise/

Old
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
rypper

I think most real canucks fans aren't calling fit a suspension on bickell just wanted a call.

Old
04-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
Yes, the Hawks played very well in those games. But I think his point was that the Canucks didn't show up either, and we're not trying to discredit the Hawks on that one. But the reason for any blowout, be it those games or any blow out during the regular season, is because one team shows up and the other didn't. That being said, even if the Canucks did show up for those games, I'm not saying they would've won anyways, just the score would've been closer. Hawks deserve full credit for coming out like that after being down 3-0 and forcing a game 7.
So, really whose fault is it that Canucks forgot to show up on game 4 and 5?

Old
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
This isn't an excuse if they lose the series because they should have won last night, but it seems pretty plausible that most of the team was ill. Nobody other than Hodgson seemed to have any energy during those two games.

Old
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
The Canucks. They handed them those games by not showing up. As I said, even if they did show up, I have no idea if they would've won because the Hawks played great. What are you looking for?

If you're looking for the answer "It's the Hawks' fault that the Canucks forgot to show up" then I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Closed Thread