HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Old
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Arthur Staple-Wolski will be bought out

Arthur Staple

Quote:
Rangers: UFAs Vinny Prospal, Bryan McCabe and Alex Frolov won’t be back; Ruslan Fedotenko and Steve Eminger likely will, at the right prices. Local product Matt Gilroy proved his value in the playoffs, but will be back only at a reduced salary from his $1.75-million. Wojtek Wolski ($3.8-million salary next season) will almost certainly be bought out, given that 25-and-under players can be bought out at one-third of their cap hit; tougher decisions loom on captain Chris Drury and Sean Avery.
Quote:
Rangers: Stars center Brad Richards is the prime free-agent target on July 1, but sources say the team will not break the bank to squeeze Richards into a tight cap situation. They’ll be looking to add a veteran defenseman who can give some offense, either via trade or free agency, and if there’s room to add a good forward such as the Flyers’ Ville Leino, they will get creative with the salary cap to make it happen.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.2836614

Staple wrote the Rangers will attempt to sign Chris Kreider. He is their most ready NHL prospect.

Not really sure where is the room to re-sign Eminger. Adding an offensive D? Where is the $ coming from? Yesterday Staple wrote about the Rangers need to be patient with MDZ.

Not much room after re-signing the group II's and signing Richards. They don't have as much flexibility as Staple makes it out.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:19 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
1/3 of the cap hit? Nice.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Ih8theislanders

Don't see how we can re-sign Eminger, Gilroy, and get another d-man. Seems like they're completely ruling out MDZ if that's the case. I don't want a forward like Leino...try to sign Richards and run with what we got. If we can't sign him, try to trade for a #1 C.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
NYRangers09

Why buy-out Wolski? He has gotta be tradable for something. Even if he had an off year.

And also, wtf with Leino. That would be an absolute waste considering we have a million guys who do what he can do.

And curiousity... Are there any veteran defenseman with an offensive punch out there this year?

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

I wish they could keep Wolski another year for less money. I really think he still has the talent with the right line-mates to make up for his sloth at times.

04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
OverTheCap

Sweet. Had a feeling this would happen. The writing was on the wall when he was a healthy scratch twice down the stretch and barely played in the playoffs.

I was not a huge fan of the trade at the time, but it was not a total waste because we gained cap space as a result.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
Why buy-out Wolski? He has gotta be tradable for something. Even if he had an off year.

And also, wtf with Leino. That would be an absolute waste considering we have a million guys who do what he can do.

And curiousity... Are there any veteran defenseman with an offensive punch out there this year?
Enlighten me on who.. I dont think its a good idea to bring in a guy like Leino. You cant deny the guys skill though.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Arthur Staple

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.2836614

Staple wrote the Rangers will attempt to sign Chris Kreider. He is their most ready NHL prospect.

Not really sure where is the room to re-sign Eminger. Adding an offensive D? Where is the $ coming from? Yesterday Staple wrote about the Rangers need to be patient with MDZ.

Not much room after re-signing the group II's and signing Richards. They don't have as much flexibility as Staple makes it out.
Ranger Boy -- if the Rangers buy out Wolski, can they sign him back for less $? He's not terrible, just badly overpaid. Can't remember if CBA allows this. Thanks

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:50 PM
eco's bones

Ville Leino is a good player. A younger version of Fedotenko. Productive in the playoffs. Good along the boards and in the corners. I would not have a problem bringing him on board if it didn't cost too much. It also would take a good player off the Flyer roster.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Block More Shots

Wolski should've been with Gabby for a longer period of time. Torts tried them out for only 2-3 games and they looked pretty creative out there. Throw a hardworking center in between them (Prospal, Dubi) and I think all could benefit.

Buying out Wolski would be a bad idea. He has some trade value for sure, even if it's only a mid-round pick.

Wolski is a good complimentary player. He's not going to be the hardest working player on the line, but when he's put with creative offensive players, he shines.

I will agree though, his salary sucks.

Last edited by Block More Shots: 04-25-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Ville Leino is a good player. A younger version of Fedotenko. Productive in the playoffs. Good along the boards and in the corners. I would not have a problem bringing him on board if it didn't cost too much. It also would take a good player off the Flyer roster.
I don't see it. At all. Fedetenko is a solid 3rd line grinder, who can PK and is more than adequate defensively. Leino is a skill guy who relies on playmaking and puck control. He is not adequate defensively. In fact, he's quite the liability.

Old
04-25-2011, 01:55 PM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $466,667
2012-13: $666,667
Not that bad at all. Trying to fit Richards, an offensive D and a depth forward is going to be VERY difficult.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Chalfdiggity3

They will have enough money to do what they are talking about. By bringing back feds, gilroy, and eminger, i can honestly say that they will combine to make around 3-3.5m. buying out wolski will save us 3.5m, and not bringing back the dead weight is perfect by me, now just to get rid of Avery and EC, while figuring out how to make drury retire, redden leave for europe or another nhl team.

Honestly we will have a solid amount of capspace to make a solid splash in the offseason. and there are plenty of good defensman that are FA's this year.. Markov, Erhoff, Bieksa, and so on.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Buying out Wolski would be a bad idea. He has some trade value for sure, even if it's only a mid-round pick.

Wolski is a good complimentary player. He's not going to be the hardest working player on the line, but when he's put with creative offensive players, he shines.
Trading him for "future considerations" would be better that the 1/3 cap hit. Surely some team would take him, no?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

more staple stoopidness.

looks like mdz might be the next one to go. not sure torts is a fan. me thinks his days are numbered, possibly a draft day deal to move up.

bring back eminger... for what. sit in press box. more dumbness. we need his spot for a real dman with wheels.

more gilroy based on a few playoff games. god help us. he better not have a roster spot next year. hes awful. i want vtank on the roster and a decent value vet that can skate.

wolski is too expensive ill give you that, but hes not the bum like you guys are making him out to be. to just throw him away so he can go play for someone else while we are paying him is foolishness. we better get richards if hes thrown away on a salary dump buyout other wise i give this a bigtime stooooooopid. i smell torts here as well.

tough decision on drury....haha whats tough about it, hes 35 and he cant play anymore. buy him out.

avery im so-so on. torts hates him. he hates torts. not a big deal.

lets just sign every ryan callahan that we can. then torts will have the team he craves.

i love ryan callahan but you cant have a whole roster of callahans.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Chalfdiggity3

I agree, if we signed richards, i wouldnt have minded trying out wolski with richards and gaborik. That would be one hell of a line.. then for a team to have to deal with the pack line after, along with our boyle line, and rookie line, we could do some damage

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
They will have enough money to do what they are talking about. By bringing back feds, gilroy, and eminger, i can honestly say that they will combine to make around 3-3.5m. buying out wolski will save us 3.5m, and not bringing back the dead weight is perfect by me, now just to get rid of Avery and EC, while figuring out how to make drury retire, redden leave for europe or another nhl team.

Honestly we will have a solid amount of capspace to make a solid splash in the offseason. and there are plenty of good defensman that are FA's this year.. Markov, Erhoff, Bieksa, and so on.
Isn't 2/3 of 3.8 = 2.5M?

Old
04-25-2011, 02:00 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
more staple stoopidness.

looks like mdz might be the next one to go. not sure torts is a fan. me thinks his days are numbered, possibly a draft day deal to move up.

bring back eminger... for what. sit in press box. more dumbness. we need his spot for a real dman with wheels.

more gilroy based on a few playoff games. god help us. he better not have a roster spot next year. hes awful. i want vtank on the roster and a decent value vet that can skate.

wolski is too expensive ill give you that but to just throw him away so he can go play for someone else while we are paying him. we better get richards if hes thrown away on a salary dump buyout other wise i give this a bigtime stooooooopid. i smell torts here as well.

touch decision on drury....haha whats tough, hes 35 and he cant play anymore. buy him out.

avery im so-so on. torts hates him. he hates torts. not a big deal.

lets just sign every ryan callahan that we can. then torts will have the team he craves.

What do you think a 7th defenseman is supposed to do? Eminger was an excellent 7th defenseman this year, and if reasonably compensated, would be a good asset to have in reserve.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

I think buying out Wolski would be a little short sighted if we cannot sign Richards. But other than that, he doesn't bring much to the team. Just another enigma wrapped in an enigma.

Old
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Ranger Boy -- if the Rangers buy out Wolski, can they sign him back for less $? He's not terrible, just badly overpaid. Can't remember if CBA allows this. Thanks
No, you can't sign a player whose buyout cap hit is still on the books. I can't cite it in the CBA, but I'm 99.9999999999999% sure that's the case.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

Maybe not a whole roster, but are you telling me that if he had a twin with the same skill set you wouldn't want him on the team?

Old
04-25-2011, 02:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Wolski should've been with Gabby for a longer period of time. Torts tried them out for only 2-3 games and they looked pretty creative out there. Throw a hardworking center in between them (Prospal, Dubi) and I think all could benefit.
Eh, Wolski & Gaborik were 2 of our most inconsistent forwards this year... Not exactly the recipe for any long-standing chemistry between the two.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:03 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
No, you can't sign a player whose buyout cap hit is still on the books. I can't cite it in the CBA, but I'm 99.9999999999999% sure that's the case.
You are correct.

Also, worth noting:

Michal Rozsival buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $3,000,000
* 2012-13: $1,000,000

Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com

* 2011-12: $466,667
* 2012-13: $666,667

If the plan was to clear up cap space for Richards, Sather was still a genius for trading Rozi for Wolski. Wolski had some boom potential, which we now see is unlikely to be reached, so cutting bait to bring make room f or a big fish makes a lot of sense, imo.

Buying Wolski and Drury to bring in Richards is a huge improvement in the strength of our team.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Maybe not a whole roster, but are you telling me that if he had a twin with the same skill set you wouldn't want him on the team?
absolutely. i love the kid. hes my favorite player hands down. but his career will be shortened by the way he plays the game.

hes a talent but hes not all that talented. hes a heart and soul guy but when it comes to pure skill. hes average.

a winning organization wins with balance. we are not a balanced team, we lack skill and we need more skill to improve. we have tons of heart and soul guys but those kind of players get you.....

this years team.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I'm in shock

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote