Notices

2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Ya I really don't see what we have to trade to get a top 6 forward. We have no valuable assets or position of strength at this point outside of AHL goalie prospects. Maybe some bottom 6 role players, but I think we can address that through FA (Gordon).

It's good Niewy's targeting some depth though. It was definitely a weak point last year. Another thing:

Quote:
As for the philosophy of a coach, he said: ``I think we can be an uptempo team and a lot teams are going that route. The game is getting faster all of the time, and I have no issue with that. I think the key is to have enough people to play (that style), so you're not asking Jamie Benn to play 25 minutes a night. I firmly believe you have to use a lot of your people. Depth is important to me, and having a coach who puts a lot of faith in role responsibility is important. I think our defense is better and I think we can play more of an uptempo game now, but we have to have structure.''
I don't see how Muller isn't the frontrunner if that's what he wants. Hitch, Gultz, the Nashville guy - all of them play defensive hockey.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Interesting. It's funny how one of the few moves that I sympathized with Crawford about (playing Benn all the time) may have been what got him fired.

Old
06-06-2011, 08:09 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Looking at who we have under contract the trade market seems to be the least likely route to adding talent. We don't have many players with any kind of substantial trade value; nobody at a position of incredible strength and nobody whose abilities are vastly greater than their salary. The only guy I thought of that might be thought of very well around the league would be Robidas. His warrior/can-do mentality along with leadership and experience could be of worth to a good number of teams looking for defensive depth, but he has a NTC. Daley is another guy who could be of interest around the league but I just don't see a team trading a contributing forward with the main return being Daley. Trading Ribeiro would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, especially given how he can make those around him better.

Nieuwendyk's statements seem a little odd to me here, especially when you consider that there will be a certain amount of money that must be added to get to the floor.

Old
06-06-2011, 08:22 PM
BigG44

I think he may be approaching the trade market in a different way than what ya'll are talking about.

He could be talking about looking for salary dumps who could contribute. The only one off the top of my head I can think of is Keith Ballard. You could probably get him for very little. I really liked Ballard in PHX and Florida, but I don't know what happened to him in Vancouver this year.

If the team thought it was a fluke, he'd be a perfect buy low option. That contract makes the risk greater though. You'd have to feel pretty confident that this season was a fluke.

Old
06-06-2011, 08:28 PM
piqued

I don't think anything really happened to Ballard. He still looked good to me whenever I saw him. He just got buried by Vigneault. Rome is their Woywitka (though obviously better).

Old
06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
BigG44

What about a blast from the past ... sir Niklas Hagman.

His contract expires next summer. We have too many damn Swede's anyway .....

Old
06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
BigG44

That said ... if they'd trade him ... Mikael Samuelsson would be a good guy to pick up.

Can't have too many Swedes ....

Morrow-Ribeiro-Samuelsson
Eriksson/Hagman-Benn-Hagman/Eriksson

Old
06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I was a big Hagman fan when he was here, would have to take a pay cut. I didn't want him at that price when he went to the leafs and won't want him at that price now

Old
06-06-2011, 08:52 PM
BigG44

For one year ... the money isn't a big deal. Unless Dallas gets lucky in free agency ... they'll end up taking crappy contracts just to get to the cap floor.

If you GM Joe really wants to improve the Bottom 6, Jay McClement would be a great go to go get, but IDK if Colorado would want to move him or even take a reasonable offer for him.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Flames fans have wanted to dump Hagman for awhile now. We could probably snag a pick from them for taking a bad contract off their hands. Then again, there is only 1 year left. I can see the Flames packaging Hagman at the deadline rather than on July 1st.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Brand New Stars

Wouldn't it have been much better to have resigned Hagman than sign Avery? His contract isn't nearly as bad when you compare them.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:10 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think he may be approaching the trade market in a different way than what ya'll are talking about.
You may be right but when he says he'd rather explore the trade market rather than "overpay in free agency" it sounds like money is still top of mind. Unless we could unload Barch or Petersen in acquiring Ballard I just don't see the upside there. For what Ballard makes I would rather see us spend 1.5-2 million more on Ehrhoff or pay Bieksa what he'd be seeking.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Starsdude

Joe has no one to blame but himself-he overpaid barch/petersen on a 2 year deals, drafted campbell when 1 if not 2 near ready d-men were available, took a coach no one here or anywhere else thought was a good hire, failed to get anything for Richards or anyone else at the deadline and has one of the worst prospect pools in hockey-oh and we are broke (still)-the newy era will be a success if the team is still in Dallas when he is through destroying the team-

Old
06-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Sony Eriksson*

What about Michal Handzus and Christian Ehrhoff? Ehrhoff is probably to a slight raise and Zeus had a sub par year and we could get him for significantly less than the $4 million he made last season with LA.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
piqued

Ehrhoff's going to get a big raise. He could come close to doubling his salary. He's one of the premiere UFA targets.

Handzus IMO is very close to being done. He's an old 34.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Joe has no one to blame but himself-he overpaid barch/petersen on a 2 year deals, drafted campbell when 1 if not 2 near ready d-men were available, took a coach no one here or anywhere else thought was a good hire, failed to get anything for Richards or anyone else at the deadline and has one of the worst prospect pools in hockey-oh and we are broke (still)-the newy era will be a success if the team is still in Dallas when he is through destroying the team-
and yet somehow the Stars have increased their point total over each of the two years he's been in charge.

Old
06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
and yet somehow the Stars have increased their point total over each of the two years he's been in charge.
Point totals are meaningless unless you make the playoffs-in both cases, Newy incorrectly deduced we were playoff teams. Assumptions that hurt the team long term. Compare how the texas rangers were able to turn assets into the best farm system in baseball into a world series also while the team was broke.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I'd rather pay Ehrhoff 6 million than Ballard 4.2.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'd rather pay Ehrhoff 6 million than Ballard 4.2.
I'd rather not have Errorhoff, he was absolutely terrible in Game 3... he's not one to take huge minutes.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:12 PM
piqued

Quote:
Compare how the texas rangers were able to turn assets into the best farm system in baseball into a world series also while the team was broke.
If you are referring to the famous Teixeira trade, that was made on August 1st of 2007 when the Rangers were firmly fixed in last place, 14 and a half games behind the Angels. Obviously it was far easier for JD to assess that his team would not make the playoffs than it was for Joe.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
I think we can all agree that Nieuwy has failed a bit in his first stint as a general manager....but to put all the blame on him is absolutely ludicrous. The situation in Dallas is absolutely dread full. We're now in a position that we have to make bad deals just to get to the cap floor.

We can all joke and scream about the Campbell over Fowler thing, but we still don't know where either of them are going to end up in the end. And I'm almost positive Joe doesn't even do the drafting. Can be placed else where.

The Richards situation was never going to work out. We were fighting for a playoff spot, not to mention the Pacific Division, at the time. And he took a risk. If it had worked out and got in, who knows what would've happened. The team failed down the stretch. I don't put that blame on the GM. And if you want to, I give you the last game of the season to look at. All they had to do was win in regulation or overtime to get in and then let the rest unfold, but they came out looking horrid...looking uninterested...looking like they were just ready to go home. Is that the GM's fault or is that the coach's or is that the players'?

Nieuwy has to take the blame for some of the stuff that has gone down in Big D over the past two years, but he is hardly at fault for the complete failage (though I do think Crawford was a terrible hire).

Old
06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Al Core

With the Coyotes-Flyers deal, do you guys think Joe goes after any of the Flyers' players?

I think he has to at least kick the tires on Carter.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I'd certainly hope so.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Core View Post
With the Coyotes-Flyers deal, do you guys think Joe goes after any of the Flyers' players?

I think he has to at least kick the tires on Carter.
I know Carter is only 26, but that contract runs for 10 more years... I think any sort of super long term contract is a losing proposition with the violence in today's game.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:53 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Maybe if they try to unload Carle or Meszaros, doubtful on either though. Not sure if Carter really is what this team needs, and that contract is scary.

Definitely would be interested in Leino in FA though.

Closed Thread