Notices

2011 Off-Season Thread pt 1

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCaptainOU View Post
I hope not. He's one of my most hated players in the league.
That doesn't stop us from employing Steve "So Dirty" Ott and Adam "Playing against Pronger in the AHL" Burish and Brenden "Flying Elbow Reversal" Morrow and Mark "Pretending he's UC" Fistric and signing Sean "Goalie Dance" Avery.

I'd rather have Kevin "Stoicism and Punches" Bieksa in our lineup.

Old
04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
I'd pass on Zues if I were you. He had some peaks and valleys over the last couple years and he is certainly a VERY smart player in terms of hockey sense but I'm suspecting there is little left in the tank.
Too bad Stoll isn't the one that's a free agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
What's the common consensus around here regarding Richards? Is the feeling that he's walking or signing?
Given the news that came out last week about Gaglardi maybe possibly potentially becoming the new owner it makes things a little more unclear; I for one had pretty much written him off. But even if that gets sorted out, I bet Richards still tests free agency at which point there will be a team that will offer Richards more money and more years than is probably prudent (for them or for the Stars to match). My personal opinion...if he truly wants to play for a winner like he's said all along then he won't sign a long term deal for north of $7 million.

If Brad can look objectively at things he will look to the types of contracts that Detroit signs their core players to: Zetterberg (lifetime contract) 6 per year, Datsyuk 6.7 per year. Winning franchises must have an internal salary structure that works for the present and the future. When the Devils were winning a ton they had internal budgets that limited how much they would pay even their best players; guys were fairly compensated to be in an annually competitive situation. Richards may be able to sign a big money deal AND win a Cup, but realistically the most competitive teams with players not named Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin all have star players who don't absolutely bend your budget over backwards.

I know there are various factors that effect things to make the individual situations unique but...forwards who make $5-7 million: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, H. Sedin, D. Sedin, Kesler, Getzlaf, Perry, Thornton, Marleau, Spezza, Kopitar, Backstrom (F), Kovalchuk, St. Louis, M. Koivu, Stastny, M. Richards, Carter, Briere, Toews, Kane, and Ribeiro.

Now, am I saying Richards is directly comparable to all of those players? No. Some of those players are comparable, some are clearly inferior, and some are clearly superior to B Rich. The point is, that is one hell of a laundry list of players who are pretty damn talented making (in most cases) significantly less than what Richards currently makes (7.8). I for one and very curious to see what Richards signs for.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
2011 Off-Season Thread

Should have a thread for this.

Richards is returning to Dallas tomorrow from Tampa. Which is interesting. Richards mentioned it on his twitter.

Last edited by ________: 04-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Link

Former North Stars enforcer Shane Churla was arrested Wednesday in Eau Claire, Wis., on charges stemming from an alleged road-rage incident. The 51-year-old Churla, who lives in Big Fork, Mont., and works as a pro scout for the Dallas Stars, was charged with criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct -- two misdemeanors. He appeared in court and was released on $200 cash bond.

Churla told officers that Statz refused to let him pass, and Statz claimed Churla pulled alongside his vehicle and "threw a drink or something" at it. Both drivers pulled over to the side of the road. Churla, according to the complaint, approached Statz's BMW, kicked the door and hit it with his fist, causing some damage..

Old
04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Offseason Thread...Offseason Game Plan Thread. My head is going to explode.

Old
04-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Offseason Thread...Offseason Game Plan Thread. My head is going to explode.
Merged.

Old
04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Should have a thread for this.

Richards is returning to Dallas tomorrow from Tampa. Which is interesting. Richards mentioned it on his twitter.
He was probably watching his homies Vinny and Marty play. And hanging out with Neal.

Old
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

You might have been right Lobo:

Dallas Dave:
Quote:
Richards and #Stars have finally gotten into "earnest" negotiations on a contract negotiations.. here's hoping they get it worked out.
Edit: WTF? Dallas _ Dave is censored?

Old
04-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
You might have been right Lobo:
As always

Maybe Gaglardi has said he'll buy the team only if Richards is contracted? Wouldn't shock me at all. But then again...it is Dallas Dave. (really don't get why that is censored)

Old
04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
As always

Maybe Gaglardi has said he'll buy the team only if Richards is contracted? Wouldn't shock me at all. But then again...it is Dallas Dave. (really don't get why that is censored)
That'd be a deal breaker then since Richards already said he wouldn't sign without an owner.

His only threat would be he pulls his offer if he doesn't get an opportunity to sign Richards .... which I pointed out a week or so ago as something that would be awesome but unbelievable and unlikely.

If Gaglardi played that card, I like him even more.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
trebendan

Would the Stars consider trading for Bogosian for, say, the 2011 14th overall pick and Glennie?

Old
04-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Would the Stars consider trading for Bogosian for, say, the 2011 14th overall pick and Glennie?
Yes.

Old
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
Yes.
**** that, we can get more for the 14th + Glennie than Bogo.

Old
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
I'd do that.

Old
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I wouldn't. Glennie is pretty damn good on the dot, has a good shot, and he hits. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Old
04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Me niether. Glennie is looking decent and Bogo may never amount to anyway.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
piqued

What do you guys think about going after Curtis Glencross?

He's an experienced PKer, he fits the "hard to play against" mold, and he knows how to chip in with some goalscoring. Sort of a poor-man's Brooks Laich, if we're saying Dallas isn't an attractive enough team to land him.

It would just be nice not to have our bottom 6 be a giant, gaping vulnerability again.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Brand New Stars

Glencross is something Dallas needs. There's a reason the Red Wings are so damn good every year. To go along with their stars they have a good bottom 6 basically all the time.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Captain Awesome

I like the idea, but we might be buying high on him if we do, so I'd expect him to be a bit overpaid in the long run.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I like the idea, but we might be buying high on him if we do, so I'd expect him to be a bit overpaid in the long run.
Based on what I saw some Flames fans were expecting his next salary to be I'd agree with you. Obviously fans don't sign contracts but the numbers being thrown around were in the neighborhood of 2.25-2.5 mil per/yr.

I definitely agree that we need to invest in the bottom six but we should be prudent about it.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
piqued

If Richards is leaving, we could go get Jussi back and bring this thing full-circle. We need a top 6 LW after all. He was 53% on the dot last year too.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Feeling like my posts about Boyd Gordon were misplaced in the Richards thread now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
If Richards is leaving, we could go get Jussi back and bring this thing full-circle. We need a top 6 LW after all. He was 53% on the dot last year too.
I thought about this a while back and I actually think it could be a good fit. Jussi is a much more complete player now than he was during his early years here and I could see him lining up well next to Benn.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Captain Awesome

Not to mention he's been money in the Playoffs for Carolina from what I've seen. I'd be surprised if they didn't want to hold onto him.

So I was doing my psychology homework and they had the same picture of a roaring bear that Lobo uses in every GDT thread to compare to Morrow. At first I thought it was really amusing seeing it in there, then I thought about how much it sucks to not have Stars hockey.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Modano stating his interest in an office job with the Stars if/when he decides to hang em up.

My personal feelings on this have absolutely nothing to do with his playing in Detroit or anything, but I don't think he's cut out for anything that requires actual work. I doubt he can help much with personnel decisions or anything of the like. Just play golf Mike.

Old
05-14-2011, 03:16 PM
piqued

He should stick it to Detroit by signing in a 1 year deal in the SEL and convincing Lidstrom to come with him.

Closed Thread