HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread 11: Gettin' Higgy With It

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
NYR94

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
All this time I always heard people saying he'd never be found because he's living in some cave in the mountains and that there are too many caves to search in such dangerous, unfamiliar terrain. Like every time the US got close, he'd move to a different cave.

Turns out he was living in a million-dollar compound right near a military academy.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post

Can we not turn this into a political discussion?

I disagree with just about everything you said. But in the interests of not wanting to start a flamefest, I'm going to keep my comments to myself, as you should have done.

And yes, props to Obama for finally getting that mass-murdering *******.
Sorry you were offended, my comments were directly related to yesterdays events. Obama and his team were on the line for this call and it seems they executed it with extreme acumen. We're all just talking about how well this went down, from the head chief on down it all makes a difference. His call so his neck was on the line and our experts carried it out with success. This is nothing short of A+ event for this administration, a huge lift for American confidence not only here but around the world.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
All this time I always heard people saying he'd never be found because he's living in some cave in the mountains and that there are too many caves to search in such dangerous, unfamiliar terrain. Like every time the US got close, he'd move to a different cave.

Turns out he was living in a million-dollar compound right near a military academy.
Definitely fishy.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Definitely fishy.
Nah, it's the oldest trick in the book. Go somewhere so obvious, it's brilliantly hidden.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
pwoz

The al see eye eh duh no longer needed him as an asset.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I'm sorry but hearing all this from last night and today, I am either naturally cynical or a realist but I am stuck on two things:

1) I am very skeptical that we actually killed OBL. It may just be the conspirator in me but I am having a hard time believing we killed him and threw him into the sea. While a part of me feels like we did kill him, some proof would be very helpful, otherwise it could be an attempt to stir up patriotic feelings in an attempt to get America going again.

2) While it's nice to finally get the person we were looking for (supposedly ) the people who are celebrating in the streets are a little frustrating to me. Yes, it's nice to have closure on the whole situation, and I am proud of our troops for putting their lives on the line everyday in order to fight for this country. But I also think that this really doesn't make a difference other than the fact that we got the big free agent (to put it in a hockey perspective). There are thousands of people who were trained under OBL's mentorship, similar die-hard people willing to commit heinous acts against the US. OBL really has been out of the picture for many years now since he has spent most of his time in some form of hiding, the terrorists continue to carry on. I think it's nice we got the big name, but it sadly doesn't change a damn thing in my opinion.

Again, I don't want to discuss politics, just needed to express what I thought of the events. I am so proud of our troops that I can't put it into words.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this would be the blow that could slow down the terrorists, but a large part of me highly doubts it.

05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Kinda glad he was found in Pakistan living the way he was. That Pakistan government needs to be knocked down a few pegs and now they got very little wiggle room with the biggest bully on the block, good luck with that.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont usually rejoice in the death of others, but Ill make an exception just this once .

I had tears in my eyes when they showed the growing crowds in front of the white house and ground zero rejoicing. It was amazing to me that most of them were college students, probably 9 or 10 at the time of the 9/11 attacks - kids that grew in a changed world due to the fateful day. Yes, Bin Laden was no more than a figurehead. Yes, the threat of terrorism will probably always be around. But good news is good news, and we havent gotten to experience that too much lately.

And one more thing, I was really pleased to hear that this was a special ops mission and not a drone or cruise missile. Theres something even more satisfying knowing that son of a ***** knew what was happening to him before he took one through the skull.
Islanders fan and NYC (Brooklyn) dweller here, and I feel exactly the same way. I also enjoyed that the fraud was living in a mansion in a genteel town. Now he's exposed as the fraud he always was.

This guy was the bogeyman, the image of our fears. And he was taken out, comic-book style. It is symbolic.

But I'm also still scared. The thing that scares me most as a NYC dweller is the decrepit state of our essential infrastructure (water, electricity, etc.). Instant emotional reprisals don't scare me; long-laid plans do.

The declining hospital infrastructure also scares me. Imagine how much worse the aftermath of 9/11 might have been if St Vincent's Hospital had closed *before* 9/11. What other nearby hospital could offer the triage services St. Vincent's did? This is a serious problem. It's not so easy for a hospital to cover a large distance and set up a triage in Manhattan. In Brooklyn, LICH in Brooklyn Heights nearly closed by a hair. Same problem there.

No offense to our first-responders, believe me I appreciate who they are and what they do, but they can't do everything. The country's attitude has been to bulk-up first response units and pay no attention to infrastructure. And that's a big mistake. The electrical grid is no better than it was during the blackout. Scary. And now the first responders themselves are seeing the cuts. Crazy.

The bogeyman is gone, but there are still gremlins.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
YetAnotherNorwegian

I was just waiting for the 20 second mark. I'm guessing this was a real banger on the White House iPods today.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

On a different note, I watched The Human Centipede today. Worst. Movie. Ever.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

in powerdirector, when I try to make a movie here with multiple clips..why is it only latching onto one clip and showing slideshow-esque mini clips?

not really sure what I did wrong here.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:12 PM
OverTheCap

I honestly never thought this day would come. What a relief it is that they finally got this monster. And how nice is it to see people celebrating and rejoicing at Ground Zero instead of mourning like we have grown so accustomed to seeing the past 10 years?

The energy in the city seems different today. For some, there seems to be a sense of closure, like a weight has been lifted. For others, there is a lot of reflection over what transpired in their lives since Sept. 11, 2001. I'll never forget the horrible events of that day, but life continued on and the spirit of New Yorkers was never broken. A huge thank you to the Obama administration, the CIA, and all the troops who made this day possible. And a big pat on the back to the people of New York, who were resilient and refused to live their lives in fear. We need to continue to be vigilant and strong.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:12 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I'm sorry but hearing all this from last night and today, I am either naturally cynical or a realist but I am stuck on two things:

1) I am very skeptical that we actually killed OBL. It may just be the conspirator in me but I am having a hard time believing we killed him and threw him into the sea. While a part of me feels like we did kill him, some proof would be very helpful, otherwise it could be an attempt to stir up patriotic feelings in an attempt to get America going again.
Then would you care explaining why al Qaeda has released statements acknowledging it?

EDIT: Check that, it was the Pakistani Taliban

Either way, why on Earth would the government lie about this? All bin Laden would have to do is release a video of him holding today's newspaper to destroy all of our credibility.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:15 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Then would you care explaining why al Qaeda has released statements acknowledging it?
I do believe they killed him but a part of me is still skeptical.

Anyone could release statements acknowledging it if given orders by the US correct?

But like I said, while skeptical I still think they did kill him but I want visual proof.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post

That's not realistic. You think the President could get the CIA, the Navy, and the Pakistani government together on a single consistent lie? I don't. It's the same point that conspiracy people never get - it's hard enough to get people to agree on the truth, but it's *infinitely* more difficult to get people to agree on a single lie. It's how cops do their jobs, and why mobsters (i.e. a real conspiracy) don't lie, they say nothing.

Quote:
But I also think that this really doesn't make a difference other than the fact that we got the big free agent (to put it in a hockey perspective). There are thousands of people who were trained under OBL's mentorship, similar die-hard people willing to commit heinous acts against the US. OBL really has been out of the picture for many years now since he has spent most of his time in some form of hiding, the terrorists continue to carry on. I think it's nice we got the big name, but it sadly doesn't change a damn thing in my opinion.
Bin Laden was "already dead", in a way, because we forced him into hiding. Here's the point, though: good leadership is hard to find. You can't just create an organization, replace the leader, and expect the same results. Human beings don't work like that. There are more bunglers than people that can maintain any large organization and make people work together. If you have an enemy, you want their successful leaders gone.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

If Bin Laden was killed (I don't wanna say I doubt it, I just don't know) it doesn't matter much besides the symbolic meaning for the U.S. people (especially).
I think, al-Quaeda already has a new leadership because they knew, Osama would've been killed someday. You've taken out the poster boy, that is a success, but this is not the end. Not at all. I just hope that it's a strong sign towards these terroris b***ards to crawl back into their holes and friggin' stay there. Or jump into the sea.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Nah, it's the oldest trick in the book. Go somewhere so obvious, it's brilliantly hidden.
Yeah, then paint it bight pink and erect a Somebody Else's Problem field.

Okay, okay. That's an inside joke.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
That's not realistic. You think the President could get the CIA, the Navy, and the Pakistani government together on a single consistent lie? I don't. It's the same point that conspiracy people never get - it's hard enough to get people to agree on the truth, but it's *infinitely* more difficult to get people to agree on a single lie. It's how cops do their jobs, and why mobsters (i.e. a real conspiracy) don't lie, they say nothing.

Bin Laden was "already dead", in a way, because we forced him into hiding. Here's the point, though: good leadership is hard to find. You can't just create an organization, replace the leader, and expect the same results. Human beings don't work like that. There are more bunglers than people that can maintain any large organization and make people work together. If you have an enemy, you want their successful leaders gone.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Like I said I do think he's dead, but I also do see it as somewhat realistic that the government could have lied and told the Pakistani government to lie as well. (I really am not even a conspiracy theory person )

I also agree that it may have some affect that their leader is now gone, however there were a lot of people that learned directly from OBL and that is more than enough to pass on his ways. While their organization as a whole might have taken a hit, there are successors more than ready to take over for him. I really don't believe that his voice carried any weight because of the way we forced him into hiding and they have carried on reasonably well lately.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:26 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear86 View Post
If Bin Laden was killed (I don't wanna say I doubt it, I just don't know) it doesn't matter much besides the symbolic meaning for the U.S. people (especially).
I think, al-Quaeda already has a new leadership because they knew, Osama would've been killed someday. You've taken out the poster boy, that is a success, but this is not the end. Not at all. I just hope that it's a strong sign towards these terroris b***ards to crawl back into their holes and friggin' stay there. Or jump into the sea.
Yea, this is how I feel.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
in powerdirector, when I try to make a movie here with multiple clips..why is it only latching onto one clip and showing slideshow-esque mini clips?

not really sure what I did wrong here.
Not 100% sure what you mean. Are you saying when you import the clips to the timeline it is just showing one frame of the movie and not the whole movie clip?

I never had that problem, it could be the type of file you imported and the program is thinking it's a stillframe rather than a movie.

Not sure.

05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherNorwegian View Post

I was just waiting for the 20 second mark. I'm guessing this was a real banger on the White House iPods today.
Yeah the raging boners of patriotism are at an all-time high today.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Its not the end, my infant nephew even knows that, why keep harping on it? Cause people are happy for once that our team got it right? That an evil figurehead was finally caught and served justice? Come on, this is nothing but good for America, a snowball effect is what you hope it becomes. Maybe if we can get this piece of trash we can keep it going and remove as much rubbish as possible.

True momentum often starts with one brash successful move.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Not 100% sure what you mean. Are you saying when you import the clips to the timeline it is just showing one frame of the movie and not the whole movie clip?

I never had that problem, it could be the type of file you imported and the program is thinking it's a stillframe rather than a movie.

Not sure.
let me try to explain that better

So I have a whole bunch of multi-edited clips that went to the timeline. About 10-15 of them. When I hit the hat icon to the left of that, and select my soundtrack, it gives me a movie of random second or two clips from those already multi-edited clips from the timeline. It will "favourite" a few of those, and recycle them throughout the movie, and completely ignore some(most) of the other multi-edited clips.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
let me try to explain that better

So I have a whole bunch of multi-edited clips that went to the timeline. About 10-15 of them. When I hit the hat icon to the left of that, and select my soundtrack, it gives me a movie of random second or two clips from those already multi-edited clips from the timeline. It will "favourite" a few of those, and recycle them throughout the movie, and completely ignore some(most) of the other multi-edited clips.
What is a multi-edited clip?

Perhaps some screenshots could illustrate better.

I'm not exactly a professional editor by any means so I apologize if I do not fully understand what you mean.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
What is a multi-edited clip?

Perhaps some screenshots could illustrate better.

I'm not exactly a professional editor by any means so I apologize if I do not fully understand what you mean.

multi-trimmed i guess would have been the appropriate term. My apologies. Anyhow, I have all those clips there on the bottom, and when I hit the magic hat icon over to the left I get what I stated above. No way to show that without making the video and uploading. Which ill do if it helps, but Im just thinking im hitting the wrong button somewhere

Closed Thread