HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Sharks Series/Season Postmortem

Old
04-26-2011, 02:04 AM
mysteryman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That actually sounds like a lot of fun. We can all take over the puddle!!!

We'll do an Infestation, if some of you guys can come down for a Duck Roast.
Yeah...I would love to do that! Great idea.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:05 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Until we make it to the second round again I say stay cautiously optimistic.

We do look good and grossly deep pretty much in every area for years to come but like I said, until we pull it all together, well lets meet up at the mock draft boards.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
fyrescorp

Just got back from the game and now have a vodka ( Kettle One) martini to calm down. Ugh. 2nd OT loss I've been to in a row. Observations,

Quick stood on his head for this team. Love that kid.

Scuds and Mitchell are money.

Lewis takes Zeus' spot next year. I don't know if he got a star for this game but he deserved one. Love Zeus, hope he has a nice career forward.

Clifford will only get better. Great for us Kings fans!

Power play was 2-4 but the timing is what counts. The 5 minute major took the wind out of us momentarily because it was so much fail entirely. The Sharks took advantage at that moment.

Penner better get his **** together by next season or he will be the next Modry. Maybe he and Doughty can go on the Biggest Loser together. J/k

Finally, thanks to the Shark fans for so much class. They are a really talented team that we couldn't match up against. The fans at the games were just as classy as the HF fans. Kudos and good luck.

I was at game 3 and this one, I have never been to 2 games with such high highs and low lows in my life.
Vodka is gone and I'm out.

fyrescorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
I have been thru this many times with the kings , a great playoff series only to lose and then some stupid decisions during the off season due to money, bad management or just the hockey gods not liking west coast hockey whatever but THIS time it will be different, DL WILL get us the secondary scoring needed, a couple of the kids WILL make current roster players expendable for trade bait, Penner WILL come to camp in shape and learn the system and someone in the junior rank WILL make the team in camp and score 20 goals next year, I nominate Vey, so again it is a great time to be a KINGS fan.......

PS fire Kompon in the mean time that 5 min major was embarrassing only 3 shots on net, damn it
They better do all those things.

Next season is year 6. The absolute minimum is winning a playoff series. If this team doesn't take the next step it's time to bring in a GM and coach to finish the job. Like Chicago did.

I have serious doubts this team is going to add those final pieces. I hope I am wrong but I just don't trust either man to get the job done. Either way Murray is back, and so is Stevens and sadly Kompon.

We shall see.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Between the 1993 Finals, 2010 Olympics, 2011 playoffs and 2011 Frozen Four I officially despise Sudden Death OT.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:23 AM
CJL182

Thank you Kings fans for being civil, respectful, and just great hockey fans in general. I was worried that this series could turn the fanbases against each other in a really ugly manner, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen. Most of the media thought that this series was a write off, but I never took your team lightly for a second. This was one tightly contested and hard fought series. Your team will be scary and only get better in the coming years.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
They better do all those things.

Next season is year 6. The absolute minimum is winning a playoff series. If this team doesn't take the next step it's time to bring in a GM and coach to finish the job. Like Chicago did.

I have serious doubts this team is going to add those final pieces. I hope I am wrong but I just don't trust either man to get the job done. Either way Murray is back, and so is Stevens and sadly Kompon.

We shall see.
I am a Lombardist....but I agree next year the Kings need to see the second round or atleast one of coach/GM should be gone. That said I disagree with the assertion major moves need to be made...as I've posted before the Kings will roll into next season

Penner-Kopi-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-JW
Cliffy-Schenn-Simmonds
??-Lewis-Westie/13th forward

And I personally think that team is good enough for atleast 4th/5th in the conference if not better. The caveat being the 2nd/3rd are more interchangeable and Smyth/JW's mins are handled carefully.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Alternate Jersey

baaaah. i'm still way sad about the game! i can't believe it's officially already the offseason. so not ready to see the big number on the "next season countdown" already. what am i gonna do with myself!?

not sure what to say about the game that hasn't been said/isn't already obvious. i was very happy to see smyth turn it on in the postseason, and clifford and richie are amazing, tonight's +/- stats notwithstanding. quick, as usual, was great, and my love for him goes on, haha. penner needs to get his **** together, and i wish greene would stop taking dumb penalties. he still has lots of upside though. martinez looked a little exposed at times in the series, but i think he's going to be great in the future. and i don't know what to say about doughty. he's still my boy, but except for the gem of a 4-point game he played, he did not look like the doughty i know, even (especially) on defense. and i don't like that.

all in all, sad night.

Alternate Jersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:45 AM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

As a Leafs fan I'd like to commend your team for fighting hard even with all those injuries, and make this one of the more entertaining series' in the last couple of playoffs years, I understand 100% this means nothing to you guys right now. I'd just like to add, I'm glad I'm not in the west (anymore) you guys are going to be scary in the next 2 years..

Congrats on a great season!

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Kappa
Jumbo's Year

Great series Kings fans and glad that for the most part our fan bases were able to be very respectful and civil with one another both here on HF and in games.

You guys put up one hell of a fight and you should be very proud of what your team did despite the injuries. You guys are the team of the future and definitely expect great things out of this team in the next few years. Maybe next time we can meet in the WCF!

By the way, no offense here, but you guys deserve a better coach...Very rude and inconsiderate by not attending the handshake. Also I felt his interviews were demeaning to both the Sharks and the Kings. In one of the interviews he basically said "I'm playing with what I got, Kopi isn't coming back." Seemed to me like he doubted your team...

Hope you guys get a better coach soon!

Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:24 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
This. Good run, they should have won this but overall, they need to get stronger up front. Props to Shark fans for not being a holes throughout the series.
This. Shark fans are some of the least douchiest fans in the league, unlike our brothers to the south, and the fanbase that I will not name because I want to get my avatar privileges back.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:25 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Great series Kings fans and glad that for the most part our fan bases were able to be very respectful and civil with one another both here on HF and in games.

You guys put up one hell of a fight and you should be very proud of what your team did despite the injuries. You guys are the team of the future and definitely expect great things out of this team in the next few years. Maybe next time we can meet in the WCF!

By the way, no offense here, but you guys deserve a better coach...Very rude and inconsiderate by not attending the handshake. Also I felt his interviews were demeaning to both the Sharks and the Kings. In one of the interviews he basically said "I'm playing with what I got, Kopi isn't coming back." Seemed to me like he doubted your team...

Hope you guys get a better coach soon!
Murray shook hands at the bench.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 03:52 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Murray shook hands at the bench.
There is nothing wrong with shaking hands at the bench if you want, but it is poor sportsmanship to not shake hands with the players. Some players will find it very offensive to not do so. They really do want to shake your hands and some do want to exhange kind words, as well as enourage their efforts, and even at times they want to apolygize for something.

To some people, its 5 classless Subbans out of 5 to do what he did.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:03 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
There is nothing wrong with shaking hands at the bench if you want, but it is poor sportsmanship to not shake hands with the players. Some players will find it very offensive to not do so. They really do want to shake your hands and some do want to exhange kind words, as well as enourage their efforts, and even at times they want to apolygize for something.

To some people, its 5 classless Subbans out of 5 to do what he did.
Personally, I thought he should have shaken hands with the players at the end, but I don't think it's classless that he didn't. Not all coaches shake hands with the players, and as it's been said before, he shook hands with the sj coaches. I do find it rather classless that sj players would find the need to call out a coach for this after winning the series. Totally unnecessary IMO. This series is over, they should move on.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Kappa
Jumbo's Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Personally, I thought he should have shaken hands with the players at the end, but I don't think it's classless that he didn't. Not all coaches shake hands with the players, and as it's been said before, he shook hands with the sj coaches. I do find it rather classless that sj players would find the need to call out a coach for this after winning the series. Totally unnecessary IMO. This series is over, they should move on.
Sorry! Like I said I am not trying to offend at all about comments on your coach. I respect your team, players, fans and everything about the Kings. You guys are one hell of an organization. However, Terry Murray has rubbed me the wrong way this entire series. I don't want to dwell on this and I'm not offended by it, just don't have any respect for the guy after all that. Nothing against your team though.

Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:21 AM
gonegonegone*

1. if u guys had kopitar, then we probably are the ones crying home rt now.

2. if u guys had kopitar, you'd be polishing off the ducks at the 4 seed instead.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:36 AM
Ramon108

Send a message via ICQ to Ramon108 Send a message via Skype™ to Ramon108

Ramon108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 04:57 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

wow. now what. knocked out in the first round. no 1st round pick. woe woe woe. im going to get bored

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:17 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

I believe that those home plate jerseys are bad luck and should be burned...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Hertl Power

Good series and very hard fought by the Kings. Quick looked great and kept all of the games close. Doughty was a bit feast or famine in the series. At times he looked great, at others he looked a bit too inexperienced still, but he deserves more credit than some Kings fans are giving him. He will be better in next years playoffs. Speaking of which good luck next year with Kopitar healthy and hopefully you can knock out the Ducks in the first round.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 06:27 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

When we needed our powerplay to come through the most, it let us down again. That 5 min major was so tough to watch and I knew if we didnt score, we were done.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:16 AM
mtylerjr

The one stat that stood out to me after the game:

Give aways: LA 28, SJ 5

Everything else was pretty much dead even, stats wise.

mtylerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
I believe that those home plate jerseys are bad luck and should be burned...

Christ, enough with the jerseys! This team has a lot of problems, but what color jersey they are wearing, isn't one of them. You might as well tear down the Gretzky statue in front of Staples as well....oh, and don't let Gretzky inside the building either!

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
What makes losing this series so hard is the fact that we actually had a chance to win it...

Yes, many, but we came up just short, in 3 OT games. THAT shows just how close it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Kings wouldn't quit, but they need some help in the off-season.
Can we get it? that is THE question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Great effort. Tough loss. They won 2 more games than I thought they would going in.

Fine efforts by a lot of players: Richie, Clifford, Simmonds, Williams, Smythe, JJ, Martinez, Stoll and especially Quick.

Agree that Doughty needs to be better.
While my heart said otherwise, I, too thought we had little chance, particualrly after our last two regular season games. The heart ofthis group proved me wrong.

But that said, Just like the team, I showed up and gave it my all. Left it all in the arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
Sickening how many time that cross ice pass burned us this series....
Me thinks that their coach noticed something that TM couldnt/didnt adjust for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
What matters?

I will tell you what matters

IT MATTERS that we made a series of this without Kopitar when our entire offence for what it is worth was built around his skill carrying us for the most part.

IT MATTERS that we had LEWIS CLIFFORD MARTINEZ BERNIER WESTGARTH AND MOLLER ALL SEE CONSIDERABLE ICE TIME THIS SEASON.

We had 5 FIVE count em F-I-V-E rookies on our team four of which saw considerable ice time during the playoffs and WE STILL made a series of this.

IT MATTERS that we overcame some questionable coaching at times.

IT MATTERS that we had a few veteran players who flat out died towards the end of the season and we STILL made a series of it.

IT MATTERS that a couple of our "TOP PLAYERS" struggled throughout this series and yet again WE STILL MADE A SERIES OUT OF IT.

I make no secret out of my absolute disdain for TM's "system" but granny got us here and did his best to get us past the sharks who were %100. THAT F ING MATTERS.

We have Schenn Loktionov Kozun all ready to join the team next season and that is to name only 3 of possibly more fresh young legs to join our team. THAT MATTERS.

Schenn alone is going to be a pretty nice bit of help towards our having more talent and grit up front and if you haven't watched the game that Kozun plays then you will LOVE this kid.

We found a 3rd line that was EXCEPTIONAL during this series and they are ALL KIDS and THAT MATTERS TOO!

We may have lost and I predicted/believed that we would make it a 7 game series and the fact that it was 6 games and it took OT to eliminate us is good enough for me.

Finally to me it also MATTERs that we had so many great people here on the boards show so much passion for the team and that is absolutely so cool for me that I honestly thank each of you for making these playoffs fun so much fun for me.

Even through some personal garbage you guys kept my mind on this series and this game and helped me find that joy that I used to have when I was a kid when cheering for my team so again, you guys rock for giving me that back again.

WAY TO GO HF BOARDS AND WAY TO GO KINGS!!!!!
TG, you are welcome!

AND IT MATTERS TO ME TOO.

This season reminds me in some ways of the travails of Ullyses in the Odyssey. The ups and downs, the outburst and the fine, the losses (injuries) along the way, until we fianlly made it home to that familiar place, and early playoff exit. And no, Im not being sarcastic. I've been through this too many times to be broken hearted. The Kings did all they could and overcame adversity and can be proud, yet sad.

Just remember how morgue like Staples was for that few minutes after the mighty Anze fell. The pall that hung about the ice and the disorganization that the team fell into for those few scary moments was frightening. But this team didnt roll over and die.

The past two away games in SAn Jose will forever live in our memories. We rocked the aquarium and gave their fans a fright. No longer will sharks fans take us lightly. There is a bartender at the Britannia Arms who doesnt want to see me again, because each time he did, his team lost. HE WILL SUFFER AGAIN.

And NEXT YEAR, ALWAYS NEXT YEAR WE WILL BE BETTER. And the year after that and the year after that. But WE ARE KINGS AND KINGS FANS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Some season ending thoughts

- Kings fought hard, some guys like Richardson, Lewis, Quick and Simmonds really stepped up. Other guys like Doughty (outside of Game 2) and Greene were nothing short of abysmal.

- Murray will return but Kompon should not. All year we talked about the PP, and sure enough it does us in. Yes we scored a couple tonight on broken plays, but when the game was on the line we could barely even set it up. You just look at how much SJ gets their point men involved. If Drew or Jack were on the Sharks they would score 15-20 points more a year. Unfortunately the Kings lowest common denominator PP system of throwing pucks at the net totally goes against their strengths. The Kings employ a PP that a low level ECAC or CCHA team would use. Even though they have 2 dynamic offensive d-man.

- The Kings need to add a couple of top 6 forwards to take the next step. The Kings still have a gaping hole on the LW and more importantly a gaping hole up the middle on the 2nd line. Lewis looks the part to be the 3rd line center for years to come. He even showed some offensive flash this series. Handzus is likely off to Europe and Stoll just doesn't fit, not skilled enough to be a scorer, nowhere near the defensive level of Lewis and to expensive for a 4th line roll. The Kings will miss Stoll in the circle, but they can't justify his salary for what he brings elsewhere. The bigger question is do the Kings add from UFA, trade or the system. Best guess is Loktionov is given a chance to be the 2nd line center and they add a skilled winger or someone capable of playing the wing in FA. Smyth and Penner both return with a combined cap hit of $10.5. Smyth was excellent in the playoffs but lets not forget there were long stretches where he was one of the worst players on the team. Penner is a total enigma but just might be one of those guys who can only produce with a star center on his line, something he certainly never had with Handzus and Stoll once Kopi went down.

- Sometime between now and the deadline next season the Kings need to commit to one goalie and trade the other one for an asset that will improve the team. The Kings have to many holes to fill to keeping two valuable goalies.

- Lets hope Drew Doughty had his sophomore slump in his junior year because he was disappointing for a good chunk of the season and in the playoffs.

- The Matt Greene experiment just has to come to an end. This is Case #1 that I would use in why Murray/Lombardi hockey is bad. Why is this guy wearing an A? And where was the accountability for his play in this series? Matt Greene was without question the worst player on either team and TM just continually went to him time after time. No matter how many times he was burned on the ice or how many dumb penalties he took. Matt Greene may have served a purpose as a class clown type on a young, bad and growing team. But if this team wants to contend next season they cannot afford to have Greene's awful plays and dumb penalties in the lineup.

- Johnson, Scuderi and Mitchell were very steady in this series for the most part. Almost everytime you looked up and a mistake was being made it was by #2, #8 or #53.

- Kyle Clifford and Brad Richardson. What can you say about these two guys. I really hope they can carry it over to next season. But knowing TM he will break up this line and/or make Richardson a healthy scratch. Richardson must have won 80% of his board battles this series, it was a joy to watch.
Good points all Herby that we can discuss over our extended break.

But for now, my hats off to the whole team, good bad and ugly.

Thank you Kings.

Thank you posters.

Thank you HF.

my voice needs a rest.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

The Kings really need to add some skill to the pp

The problem is that with the top unit, the pk can just put 2 guys on JJ and Doughty because Handzus, Smyth and Brown arent going to be able to work a 3 on 2 down low. I don't really understand why Williams wasnt used on the top unit in place of 1 of Zeus or Smyth. Zeus couldnt win any offensive zone faceoffs on the pp anyway

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote