HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2011, 04:50 PM
SMoneyMonkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Forbort has been coddled a bit both at UND and also at the international level. I firmly believe next year will be his coming out party. I think you have to be ecstatic about all three of those players, not to mention Weal and Gravel, when considering we only ended up making five selections in that draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I would say that Forbort has the highest ceiling out of the three. He is the only one that is notched at possibly becoming #1 at his position, while Toffoli is a top 6 (more likely second line) player, and Kitsyn isn't really slated to break the second line and mostly become a third line power forward.
Yeah, I agree that Forbort has the highest ceiling, and expect him to get pretty close to it. Out of the three I think Forbort is the best (highest ceiling and highest floor), there were just a few unreal expectations of him. He's going to have all the time in the world to develop, too.

Toffoli is just great, and I really hope he sees that he's only a few steps away from becoming a top 6 player. The hard thing for him will be working on things he's not good at. It's easy for him to work on his shot, I bet he loves doing that, he's got to really push himself to fill in the holes in his game, though. Which are not fun at all to work on.

And Kitsyn is just wonderful. Don't think he'll ever break the top 6 but, I think he'll be a constant performer on a 3rd line. A solid possession guy as opposed to a streaky sniper.

Then again, I don't get nearly enough time to watch any of these players besides -maybe- Kitsyn.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Kingler

Think people are too critical on DT on his draft...especially since its the scout that do the decision, not the GM that sees the Kids maybe 2-3 times total

But regardless, I think that DL team would not have picked Kopitar for example...Not to mention Hickey, who is still iffy. And then there's Teubert who we skipped Myers, Karlsson, Sbisa, Del Zotto, and Carlson for.

For all that DL has "done" for the farm system and establishing unprecedented level of depth. It should be remebered that he just took over in 2007. 2006, Al Murray, was still in charge. And since 2007 we only so far have Doughty, Simmonds, and Clifford who are established NHLers...maybe Martinez. 2 out of 5 1st seems very iffy, and Doughty is a given....9/10 GM would have picked Doughty...so 2/4 on first rounds for DL unless Hickey can put his career back on track. And we are talking high draft picks here fokes (3 top 5, 2 top 15)

So its not like DL is night and day from DT in drafting here...

Old
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
SuperAlmeida

LeBrun says that Ladd won't sign if Atlanta moves to Winnipeg. He is a player I hope we trade for.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:26 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

To me, the worst part of looking back at the 2003 draft wasn't the lack of value the Kings received from Boyle & Tambellini, but the two players the Kings traded to get those picks (plus some other players): Blake & Scheider. For giving up two great defensemen because of salary issues, the Kings really lost in the returns department. Both the from players/prospects who came over and especially from the draft picks side.

Old
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
LeBrun says that Ladd won't sign if Atlanta moves to Winnipeg. He is a player I hope we trade for.
He's an RFA though, Winnipeg is going to need to make a splash right away, they cannot come back into the league with a gutted roster and players refusing to sign there because of their past reputation. It's going to be real interesting.

Old
05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Schenn, Smyth, Hickey and for Ladd and Bogosian

We then sign Richards with the cap space we opened up.

lol...

Last edited by Cook24: 05-22-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
My guess for the Kings roster to start 2011-12:

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.250m)
Brad Richardson ($0.950m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.903m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Scott Parse ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($5.000m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Alec Martinez ($0.975m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,112,060; BONUSES: $2,390,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,887,940
This leaves room for a prospect to surprise and make the opening roster. It's wishful thinking that Schenn could pull a Couture and be a solid 2nd line center instead of having Stoll slotted as the 2nd line center. I wouldn't be surpised if Terry went with Kopitar-Stoll-Richardson-Schenn down the middle to start.

Old
05-22-2011, 02:38 PM
damacles1156

Off topic

Old
05-22-2011, 02:42 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
My guess for the Kings roster to start 2011-12:

This leaves room for a prospect to surprise and make the opening roster. It's wishful thinking that Schenn could pull a Couture and be a solid 2nd line center instead of having Stoll slotted as the 2nd line center. I wouldn't be surpised if Terry went with Kopitar-Stoll-Richardson-Schenn down the middle to start.
I still think you're going to see a surprise move or 2. Johnson, Mitchell, Scuderi, Greene, Smyth, Penner, Stoll, Simmonds, Bernier and Richardson, don't think any of those guys are safe. Not saying all of those guys are getting dealt I think this is the offseason Lombardi packages something ala the Palffy deal to turn the Kings into contenders. I know most King fans are patient with Lombardi but the clock is ticking.

Old
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I still think you're going to see a surprise move or 2. Johnson, Mitchell, Scuderi, Greene, Smyth, Penner, Stoll, Simmonds, Bernier and Richardson, don't think any of those guys are safe. Not saying all of those guys are getting dealt I think this is the offseason Lombardi packages something ala the Palffy deal to turn the Kings into contenders. I know most King fans are patient with Lombardi but the clock is ticking.
I doubt it AEG has shown no such motive. There really hasn't been a peep out these guys. AS long as the Kings keep making the play off's AEG will probably remain silent. AS much as People hate to admit it; it would take something Catastrophic for Dean to be even on the Hot seat.

They are getting Exactly what they want from him. Revenue up, Staples Selling out. A cup would be nice; But if anyone thinks AEG cares about that.......Well they don't.

This Doomsday clock thing people are going on about is a bunch of bull. It's about the Money Lebowski

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old
05-22-2011, 02:55 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I doubt it AEG has shown no such motive. There really hasn't been a peep out these guys. AS long as the Kings keep making the play off's AEG will probably remain silent. AS much as People hate to admit it; it would take something Catastrophic for Dean to be even on the Hot seat.

They are getting Exactly what they want from him. Revenue up, Staples Selling out. A cup would be nice; But if anyone thinks AEG cares about that.......Well they don't.
I can't imagine Lombardi & Co. to plan on entering next season by only replacing Handzus with Schenn.

Old
05-22-2011, 03:00 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
I can't imagine Lombardi & Co. to plan on entering next season by only replacing Handzus with Schenn.
I don't think they are simply going to do nothing. Cause that's basically nothing, I am not even sure Schenn makes the roster. I could see him spending more time in the AHL.

That's not popular but I can see it happen. Dean will try to round out the Roster. But I don't see any Blockbuster move. Would be nice if he did. But I highly Doubt it.

We will see some Dept signings, some garbage diving maybe. I would hope he would try and move Pennar at the Draft(awful trade so far).

I think he will make a Run at Richards. But Richards will want to go East, and Get out of the Western Conference.

Or Dean could surprise Me and make a Stellar move. Hasn't done it yet though.

Last edited by damacles1156: 05-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I don't think they are simply going to do nothing. Cause that's basically nothing, I am not even sure Schenn makes the roster. I could see him spending more time in the AHL.

That's not popular but I can see it happen. Dean will try to round out the Roster. But I don't see any Blockbuster move. Would be nice if he did. But I highly Doubt it.

We will see some Dept signings, some garbage diving maybe. I would hope he would try and move Pennar at the Draft(awful trade so far).

I think he will make a Run at Richards. But Richards will want to go East, and Get out of the Western Conference.

Or Dean could surprise Me and make a Stellar move. Hasn't done it yet though.
Given that you basically have Richards and Semin available the next 2 summers now is the time to overpay for Richards. Fixes the left wing problem, Richards can play center if Kopitar were to go down with an injury (like that's ever going to happen!) and he plays the point on the dismal Kings powerplay. Then Lombardi can get creative with Penner or Smyth and do what he wants with either player.

Old
05-22-2011, 03:39 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Given that you basically have Richards and Semin available the next 2 summers now is the time to overpay for Richards. Fixes the left wing problem, Richards can play center if Kopitar were to go down with an injury (like that's ever going to happen!) and he plays the point on the dismal Kings powerplay. Then Lombardi can get creative with Penner or Smyth and do what he wants with either player.
Richards would be very nice. I have this feeling though that he wants no part of the Western Conference anymore.

Old
05-22-2011, 04:49 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
The problem is that it "takes two to tango," as they say. Star players usually only become available when the team they're on actively starts shopping them. In other words; if there's no 1st line talent on the table anywhere, then Dean doesn't have a whole lot of options.

This is why I'm opposed to acquiring mediocre 20 goal scorers like Penner. I don't want them taking up CAP space, so the next time a star becomes available the Kings are ready to pounce.

I'll be surprised if Rich Nash is a Blue Jacket this time next year...

Old
05-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

I'll be surprised if Rich Nash is a Blue Jacket this time next year...
The eight year contract he signed last year tells you he's leaving? Why would Columbus move him?

Old
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

When do the Parise proposals come up?

Jack Johnson, Voynov and Moller for Zach Parise. Would you?

Old
05-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
When do the Parise proposals come up?

Jack Johnson, Voynov and Moller for Zach Parise. Would you?
You can't say no to such a steal, but it is unlikely that the Devils will be willing to deal and Lombardi willing to pay.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Does anybody remember a more dismal free agent market than this year and next? Seems like most of the free agents are way past their prime, on defense and a couple of good goalies.

Old
05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The eight year contract he signed last year tells you he's leaving? Why would Columbus move him?
It's pure speculation on my part, but players like Nash just don't stay with teams like Columbus their whole careers. It's just the way of things. He signed the contract after the 08-09 season when CBJ made the playoffs and it looked like things were FINALLY coming together. Things have kind of fallen apart since. Would he have signed that deal had he known where the franchise would be two seasons later?

Columbus lost 25M last year, 60M since the lockout. Ownership/management is saying all the right things to fans; "win now" "spend money" "make the moves to bring in help" ect. But they're playing politics. These are just empty promises. They can't sign any big names via free agency because no one wants to play there. They don't have the assets to bring in help without creating another hole on the roster. On top of that, does ownership really want to spend more money on a high priced players when they're already losing 25M?

Nash has made it clear that he wants to win. He wants to play for a winner. He's allegedly made statements behind the scenes about how it's hard seeing friends on other teams in the playoffs every year. How much longer is he willing to wait before the frustration sets in? The immediate future doesn't look good, and it will be nearly impossible for Columbus to turn things around in just one summer. RN has already been with Columbus for 9 years, I don't think he wants to wait around for Johansen, Filatov, Moore, ect. to develop, especially considering CBJ's track record.

It's my opinion that something is eventually going to have to give in Columbus. Nash is 26, he'll be 30 by the time Columbus has a shot at contending. His salary is also hurting the bottom line for a franchise that is bleeding cash. Does ownership want to continue paying that kind of $$$ when the foreseeable future is dismal? I know everyone will say that Nash is the face of the franchise, and he's needed to sell tickets, but they said the same thing about Kovalchuk. Atlanta's attendance figures stayed the same after Ilya left.

If Columbus has another pathetic season, I think a BIG change is going to have to be made.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Nash would be a hell of a pickup, but you can see how quickly losing a superstar like Kovalchuk affected a non-traditional market like Atlanta, so I think the Jackets will do everything possible to keep him around. That's not to say that trading Ilya was the sole reason the team is moving, but it doesn't send a good message when you trade your franchise player because of futilty.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:12 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Nash would be a hell of a pickup, but you can see how quickly losing a superstar like Kovalchuk affected a non-traditional market like Atlanta, so I think the Jackets will do everything possible to keep him around. That's not to say that trading Ilya was the sole reason the team is moving, but it doesn't send a good message when you trade your franchise player because of futilty.
My logic is this: Anyone who is following the Blue Jackets right now is a hardcore fan. Those who have been willing to support that franchise while they've made blunder after blunder, are probably going to be a fan no matter what. I think the situation in Atlanta was similar in those regards. That's why there wasn't really any drop off in interest in the Thrashers even though Ilya was gone.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
My logic is this: Anyone who is following the Blue Jackets right now is a hardcore fan. Those who have been willing to support that franchise while they've made blunder after blunder, are probably going to be a fan no matter what. I think the situation in Atlanta was similar in those regards. That's why there wasn't really any drop off in interest in the Thrashers even though Ilya was gone.
I agree, I just think if the Jackets ever get to the point where trading Rick Nash makes sense, the writing will be on the wall for them, so to speak. Things would have to be pretty dire in LA to justify dealing Kopitar or Doughty and Nash is better than both of them.

Old
05-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Does anybody remember a more dismal free agent market than this year and next? Seems like most of the free agents are way past their prime, on defense and a couple of good goalies.
I read an article on TSN that the general consensus from league executives is that this is one of the weakest year's of free agency. Next season's list of free agents is more impressive, with Semin, Sharp and Hemsky among the UFA forwards and Brent Burns and Ryan Suter among defensemen.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:02 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
I agree, I just think if the Jackets ever get to the point where trading Rick Nash makes sense, the writing will be on the wall for them, so to speak. Things would have to be pretty dire in LA to justify dealing Kopitar or Doughty and Nash is better than both of them.
Indeed.

But sometimes a franchise's hand is forced. Nash doesn't seem like the type that would ask for a trade, but it could happen.

Moving forward Columbus needs a #1 Center, #1 Goaltender, and a #1 Defenseman. Considering that they're unlikely to acquire these via free agency or trades, they're going to have to hope their prospects develop into those roles. Asking Nash to stick around and wait for that, is asking A LOT considering he's already been with the franchise since 2002. His prime years are RIGHT NOW. It's hard to imagine them being waisted on a dead beat franchise.

Closed Thread