HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting: dryland vs ice

Old
04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
nwharris74

vCash: 500
Shooting: dryland vs ice

I've been doing some dryland shooting lately and after having almost no shot at all I am starting to get somewhat better. My question is, once I'm on skates will the dryland practice carry over fairly easily to ice? I am shooting off a slick surface and using a shorter stick. I am thinking balance will also have some affect. Thank you.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 05:43 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

The biggest difference will be shooting while moving. Very rarely in hockey do you have the chance to stand in place, check the wind, square up, the shoot your rehearsed shot.

Perfecting your form/technique off the ice will definitely help you, though.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Logie

I have been doing the same, still a month away from playing on ice but atleast you will have the basics down. All that needs to be worked on them is adapating to do it on ice.

I rather be able to do the shots off ice, then go on ice and learn everything. If you have the basics sorted, its less to think about when you practice on ice imo

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
The biggest difference will be shooting while moving. Very rarely in hockey do you have the chance to stand in place, check the wind, square up, the shoot your rehearsed shot.

Perfecting your form/technique off the ice will definitely help you, though.
Exactly this, of course practicing off ice still has many great advantages. It's more of a technique and muscle memory thing. The more you practice the movement of shooting the more your body just automatically gets used to performing the movements involved without you having to think about it.

Of course doing it while moving and on ice where there's less friction, will also take practice. However, since most of us don't have unlimited ice time, then off ice training definitely gets the job done.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote