HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Gauthier and Martin get fired if Montreal loses in the first round?

Old
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I'm wondering if the nordiques won't make Roy their GM when they come back.
If he wants to stay in Q city I wouldn't be surprised, heck I wouldn't be surprised if he ran both teams

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
larek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I don't agree. That Duck team had size, speed and smarts and moved the puck very well and was built from the goaltender out. Very well crafted team.

We don't necessarily need more size, we need more character imo. Compare the size of Justin Williams's heart to AK... not even close. I'm here in LA now and see him all the time. The guy finds a way to win puck battles and is always dangerous. Never quits. AK has none of those attributes. We have too many passengers still: AK, Pouliot, Gomez mainly.

The defense is blocking shots and playing their hearts out. That's why we are in this. Otherwise, we have a whole line of guys up front who are not working hard. You cannot win a Cup with three lines. I'd be shocked if Gauthier brings those three back and/or doesn't find a way to dump Gomez or demote him.
When you said we dont need size- i kind of lost interest!
as for the D crew right now at this point- has to be the slowest Most non physical - D crew in the playoffs and probably in the NHL--

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
When you said we dont need size- i kind of lost interest!
as for the D crew right now at this point- has to be the slowest Most non physical - D crew in the playoffs and probably in the NHL--
One word: Markov. Size isn't a problem for us now. We have outplayed and outskated the Bruins for much of this series. We need more finishers. Two more top six guys.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah AK is a passenger, playing on a foot that he couldn't even put in a skate 2 days later, running over Chara and scoring key goals...
I'm one of his harshest critics, and even I must say I've been impressed with him this series.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
haburger*

nice thread.no.pg and martin will not be fired.

haburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
They shouldn't be fired, getting to where we're at without Markov, Gorges and MaxPac is already an accomplishment AFAIC.

If PG is able to get rid of Gomez I'll want him for life.
this Pax deal- really if it wasnt for the injuries in the first place he wouldnt have been a hab this season same with Desharnais

go ing to the semis did not do this organization any favor for goi ng forwards and filling the long time weaknesses on this team
this team is too small too weak- no physicality- not enough size on the top 6 not enough nasty on the bottom 6--

Old
04-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I don't think there's much of a chance of either getting fired here.

Gauthier is too new and hasn't really done anything yet. The few moves that I can think of (Keeping Price and getting Wiz) were pretty good. The one area where he might be criticized is in not getting enough back for Halak but that's partially negated by the fact that he chose correctly on Price. He's not going anywhere.

As for Martin, he's taken two teams that many felt shouldn't have even made the playoffs and put them into the postseason. He's not going anywhere either.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Reign40

No way will they get fired!

- Both have multi-year contracts
- Gauthier is Boivin's longtime friend and Martin was Gauthier's coach in Ottawa
- Martin will always get his team into the playoffs (more $$) he will never win the Cup but neither Boivin or Gauthier care about that. None of those guys (or the other x-Senators Timmins, Pearn and Groulx) understand the habs tradition or history; they are just running a business.

Reign40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Gauthier is too new and hasn't really done anything yet. The few moves that I can think of (Keeping Price and getting Wiz) were pretty good. The one area where he might be criticized is in not getting enough back for Halak but that's partially negated by the fact that he chose correctly on Price. He's not going anywhere.

As for Martin, he's taken two teams that many felt shouldn't have even made the playoffs and put them into the postseason. He's not going anywhere either.
Goalies generally don't have much market value. Eller is going to be a very fine return in the coming years. The kid has hands, vision, size, wheels and is good in his own end and on the wall. He was supposed to be a finisher when he was drafted as well. Also, he's going to be a cheap second line center very soon. Invaluable.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
larek

Quote:

no its not goign to happen - not yet anyways-- liek i said this team is perfect for MArtins v coaching--- take them to a certaintain spot an d thats it - no more- THats martins history-- same with Goat-- until the whole organization - ownership and down has a n ew way of looking at what this team shoudl be like and some actual real philosophy changes - this team will spin its wheels like it has for many years now

Old
04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign40 View Post
No way will they get fired!

- Both have multi-year contracts
- Gauthier is Boivin's longtime friend and Martin was Gauthier's coach in Ottawa
- Martin will always get his team into the playoffs (more $$) he will never win the Cup but neither Boivin or Gauthier care about that. None of those guys (or the other x-Senators Timmins, Pearn and Groulx) understand the habs tradition or history; they are just running a business.
yes bang on-- its up to ownership and really i dont think this one cares taht much-- as for MArtin he will never get to the finals never mind win it- hasnt yet and wont for the future
he is what he is - Bill Gadsby like

Old
04-26-2011, 02:17 PM
HCH

Like all good organizations, I am sure the Canadiens will be taking a long look at every aspect of the organization.

I think Gauthier is safe in his role. Through a variety of unfortunate circustances he has been able to patch to together a team that has made the playoffs and won a couple of games... so far.

To some extent his hands were tied by Gainey's rebuild in 2007. Martin may have also backed him into a corner with a couple of younger players who are no longer with the team. We will never know exactly what led to their departure but I think Gauthier made the best of a bad situation.

Martin, to his credit, was able to use that talent effectively enough to keep the team competitive. It is the other aspects of Martin's tenure that are likely being examined. Is the style of play adopted by the Canadiens going to be successful in the long run? Is the continual favoring of mediocre veterans over developing talent conducive to long term success? And so on.

Even with that, I think Martin will be with the organization next year. If not as the head coach, then certainly in the front office. For all his faults, Martin does not come across as an ascerbic lunatic like the Wilson/Burke duo in Toronto. He projects a professional image and that is a plus.

Personally, I think we will see him coaching next year. I would like to see a fresh face and a fresh approach, but I would sooner see Martin back that recycling a former NHL coach who has had some success in the past.

I think there are a handful of players who have a lot more to worry about than either Gauthier or Martin.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
sheed36

I highly doubt either would be fired but if they were I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.. I'd very much like to keep Muller around though..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GordonGraham

Dont like either of them but no they wont be fired

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
this Pax deal- really if it wasnt for the injuries in the first place he wouldnt have been a hab this season same with Desharnais

go ing to the semis did not do this organization any favor for goi ng forwards and filling the long time weaknesses on this team
this team is too small too weak- no physicality- not enough size on the top 6 not enough nasty on the bottom 6--
Pacioretty was leading the AHL in scoring, they didn't just call him up because we had injuries, it was because they thought he was finally NHL ready(and they were right). Early in the year they called up other guys instead.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Goalies generally don't have much market value. Eller is going to be a very fine return in the coming years. The kid has hands, vision, size, wheels and is good in his own end and on the wall. He was supposed to be a finisher when he was drafted as well. Also, he's going to be a cheap second line center very soon. Invaluable.
It's debatable. When the trade was made most folks felt we didn't get enough. St. Louis has a lot of good prospects and many felt that we should've demanded more. The trade could turn out to be a good one though, it's just too soon to say.

Either way, it's not perceived to be a horrible trade right now as Halak hasn't been the Vezina candidate he was last year and Price has been fantastic.

Gauthier isn't going anywhere.
Quote:
no its not goign to happen - not yet anyways-- liek i said this team is perfect for MArtins v coaching--- take them to a certaintain spot an d thats it - no more- THats martins history-- same with Goat-- until the whole organization - ownership and down has a n ew way of looking at what this team shoudl be like and some axtual real philosophy changes - this team will spin its wheels like it has for many years now
I've never been a huge fan of Martin's but I'll reserve judgement on Gauthier.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Gauthier can only get back for Halak what the market will bare. The market was flooded with goalies last year, Nabokov ended up KHL and Niemi had a hard time finding a team despite just winning a cup! I doubt NHL GM's suddenly had Halak up with the Brodeurs Luongos Lundqvists and Millers because of a good half year and strong playoff run.

He probably could have gotten a "bigger name" asset like Boyes, Malone or McDonald but we were in a cap crunch so he chose a longer term(and possibly more valuable long term) asset.

Not sure why the topic keeps getting brought up.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Seriously. Hasek, arguably the best goalie of the 90's, was had for a declining Kozlov and a 1st round pick. What did people really think we'd get for a goalie who'd never played more than half a regular season?

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Dont like either of them but no they wont be fired
Feel the same on both counts.

Didn't like them when they were here in Ottawa and don't now just because they run my fav team.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Normally a 1st round exit would be a disaster... but this year is a bit different.

Losing 3 key players in a tight league really hurts... and its only bad luck.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I'm wondering if the nordiques won't make Roy their GM when they come back.
Quite possibly only time will tell.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gauthier can only get back for Halak what the market will bare. The market was flooded with goalies last year, Nabokov ended up KHL and Niemi had a hard time finding a team despite just winning a cup! I doubt NHL GM's suddenly had Halak up with the Brodeurs Luongos Lundqvists and Millers because of a good half year and strong playoff run.

He probably could have gotten a "bigger name" asset like Boyes, Malone or McDonald but we were in a cap crunch so he chose a longer term(and possibly more valuable long term) asset.

Not sure why the topic keeps getting brought up.
It's brought up because Halak's value was extremely high at the time and many folks felt he warranted more of a return. He was basically Ken Dryden in the 2nd half of the year and goalie glut or not, he was by far the best available.

Again though, when you factor in that Price has been stellar it's not going to mean much right now. I only mention the Halak deal because it's the only move that I can think of off the top of my head that's garnered real controversy.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
habsfan35

Martin has been more vocal behind the bench this series than ever before in the regular season. In fact, I don't even remember him patting players on the back or giving them encouragement during the last year's playoffs. You noticed how he spoke to White after White landed a hit in what, game 3 I believe?
Also in the last game, i saw him talking and patting players. So he is involved, no questions, but I find his tactics sometimes very questionable.

1. Gomez.
2. Gomez TOI
3. Gomez Faceoffs
4. Gomez
5. What the eff is he doing with Gomez?

You can't help but question the guy.

Will he be fired? Doubt it.
Gauthier? He has made some decent moves this year. Getting Sopel was a good move in my opinion. Not moving AK46 was another good move despite the pressure from the media and fans. And signing Price was a great move :-)

habsfan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
One word: Markov. Size isn't a problem for us now. We have outplayed and outskated the Bruins for much of this series. We need more finishers. Two more top six guys.
Not necessarily finishers(we have Cammy and Gionta) but a couple guys in the Pacioretty mold that can score, forecheck and go in the dirty areas...maybe Pacioretty and Laich.

Old
04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
JackZap

no way. ill be happier if he fires Gomez and Spacek!

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote