HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

flyers-leafs blockbuster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
  #26
longsuffering
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Actually, yeah, it is that bad.

But the Flyers would happy to part with Dan Carcillo, Matt Walker, Jody Shelley, and a 3rd round pick for Luke Schenn. Sound fair?
Neither Team would do this trade, but this is a dumb analogy, really Dan Carcillo, Matt Walker or Jody Shelly are not, and never were highly touted prospects that played for Team canada at the world Junior tourney, sound accurate?

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
  #27
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Leafs: Mike Richards

Flyers: Nazem Kadri, Keith Aulie, Bos 1st, Leafs 2nd, cap space


Please don't yell at me flyers fans I know he's your captain and pretty much untouchable but this is a really nice package. I think Richards would be a great long term number one center for the leafs.
No it isn't a nice package at all.

-Kadri has low value now because he's hardly developed at all, he's looking like a 2nd line center at best.
-Aullie is a 2nd pairing D-man, probably a 3rd pairing guy on a good team. Big guy who doesn't hit.
-The two picks are decent, but still, it's a mediocre draft.

So essentially Philly is giving up the face of their franchise for a potential 2nd liner, a bottom pairing defenseman and two picks that might turn into average players.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
  #28
johnnyutah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Explain to me why Philly would trade their young stud first line/selke award finalist center for a "very good prospect and draft picks."
Because they have the depth to replace him, Flyers would still have briere-carter-giroux as their top 3 centers, kadri is the caliber of prospect that you need a top 10 pick in order to acquire, something that the flyers are gonna be too good to get for a long time.

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
  #29
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Because they have the depth to replace him, Flyers would still have briere-carter-giroux as their top 3 centers, kadri is the caliber of prospect that you need a top 10 pick in order to acquire, something that the flyers are gonna be too good to get for a long time.
You don't sell someone for less than their worth because you have "depth." Not a good way to run a team. Richards is arguably their best offesnvie and defensive forward, captain and face of the team. You don't trade that for a top six forward prospect, two picks between 28-40, and another d man prospect when youre a contender in this league.

If they even considered this deal theyd probably ask for a good NHL player to go along with it. Something starting with Schenn. I'm not saying you don't have the assets to get him, but Richards is worth far more than the proposal, especially considering his role on the team/age.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
  #30
GeneralSwell
Registered User
 
GeneralSwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
So a prospect whos absolute ceiling isn't as good as Richards, a good D man prospect, a late first (crapshoot), an early second (crapshoot), for a top 10 center/selke finalist, who is just reaching the prime of his career.

Seems fair.
Not that Philly should accept this trade, but the idea of putting "ceilings" on skilled young players (one that was a high draft pick no less) that have barely even gotten their feet wet seems asinine to me. I would have been curious to see where you set Datsyuk's ceiling when he was 20.

GeneralSwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
  #31
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
Richards is great, but I dont want him on the Leafs.
How could you not want Mike Richards?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
  #32
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck14 View Post
Not that Philly should accept this trade, but the idea of putting "ceilings" on skilled young players (one that was a high draft pick no less) that have barely even gotten their feet wet seems asinine to me. I would have been curious to see where you set Datsyuk's ceiling when he was 20.
Do you think Kadri is gonna be better than Richards?

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
  #33
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Because they have the depth to replace him, Flyers would still have briere-carter-giroux as their top 3 centers, kadri is the caliber of prospect that you need a top 10 pick in order to acquire, something that the flyers are gonna be too good to get for a long time.
Why would they want to replace him if they don't have to. Does Richards hate Philly all of a sudden? Is the cap going down? No.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  #34
longsuffering
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
No it isn't a nice package at all.

-Kadri has low value now because he's hardly developed at all, he's looking like a 2nd line center at best.
-Aullie is a 2nd pairing D-man, probably a 3rd pairing guy on a good team. Big guy who doesn't hit.
-The two picks are decent, but still, it's a mediocre draft.

So essentially Philly is giving up the face of their franchise for a potential 2nd liner, a bottom pairing defenseman and two picks that might turn into average players.
Philly would not trade their captain, he is an excellent hockey player, defensive specialist, high character and leader, but lets not crown him quite yet, he has not won a cup, he will never win a scoring title, he is a 2nd line center on his own team, if toronto was going to throw their future at someone, it would not be this guy for the price they would have to pay for 2nd line center production

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  #35
GeneralSwell
Registered User
 
GeneralSwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Do you think Kadri is gonna be better than Richards?
Do I think he will be? No.

Is it possible? Yes.

GeneralSwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
  #36
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Philly would not trade their captain, he is an excellent hockey player, defensive specialist, high character and leader, but lets not crown him quite yet, he has not won a cup, he will never win a scoring title, he is a 2nd line center on his own team, if toronto was going to throw their future at someone, it would not be this guy for the price they would have to pay for 2nd line center production
He hasn't won a cup at age, what, 23? He's an Olympian, a WJC gold medalist, I'm pretty sure. Calling him a 2nd line center is unfair because Philly is a strong team with two top lines. On any given night Richards is the first center and Carter is 2nd.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
  #37
johnnyutah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
Richards is great, but I dont want him on the Leafs.
Richards grew up in leafs nation, He would be a second captain along with his friend dion ( i don't know that they're friends but they won wjc gold together), he could get 90 pts playing with kessel and lupul. He would be the backbone of our forwards. I could go on all day naming reasons why richards would be perfect for toronto, the tricky part is getting him out of philly without giving assests that make it a lateral move, I think burke could pull it off

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:45 PM
  #38
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,179
vCash: 500
Obviously the Leafs would be all over this package, and Philly would hang up.

Kudos to the usual trolls however for spurring on the conversation in another bash fest on Leaf players though.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
  #39
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
How could you not want Mike Richards?
Not enough truculence.

But yea, I'm sure the Flyers take this deal in a heartbeat. They are, afterall, obviously in rebuild mode. Plus they get that superstar player that everyone is after who goes by the name of "Cap Space". It surely would be awesome to watch Cap Space lift his first Stanley Cup.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
  #40
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Richards grew up in leafs nation, He would be a second captain along with his friend dion ( i don't know that they're friends but they won wjc gold together), he could get 90 pts playing with kessel and lupul. He would be the backbone of our forwards. I could go on all day naming reasons why richards would be perfect for toronto, the tricky part is getting him out of philly without giving assests that make it a lateral move, I think burke could pull it off

That is always the tricky part and there are ALWAYS mitigating circumstances that cause this, none of which exist surrounding Richards and the Flyers.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
  #41
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Richards grew up in leafs nation, He would be a second captain along with his friend dion ( i don't know that they're friends but they won wjc gold together), he could get 90 pts playing with kessel and lupul. He would be the backbone of our forwards. I could go on all day naming reasons why richards would be perfect for toronto, the tricky part is getting him out of philly without giving assests that make it a lateral move, I think burke could pull it off
Richards grew up in Jets territory.

Think about what you just said. He would perfect for Toronto, but only if Toronto doesn't have to give up anything of value to get him. Now think about that again.

Burke may be good (personally, I think he's up and down). But he's no miracle worker, and I don't believe he has nude photos of Holmgren with a farm animal.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
  #42
longsuffering
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
He hasn't won a cup at age, what, 23? He's an Olympian, a WJC gold medalist, I'm pretty sure. Calling him a 2nd line center is unfair because Philly is a strong team with two top lines. On any given night Richards is the first center and Carter is 2nd.
Saying Kadri has low value, Aulie doesn't hit is unfair as well, but based on production he is a 2nd line centre, his intangibles are what make him a top tier defensive player and leader, he was not a top line centre as an Olympian or as junior gold medalist. He is 26 with 6 years in the league, I agree his value is high and is a non movable part for the flyers, but to quote Dennis green, you wanna crown his ass, crown his ass, my point being, I would have him on the leafs in a heart beat, but I would not throw my future at him, there are a lot of other players I would chose before him.

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
  #43
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I will give you 5 Toyotas for your 1 BMW.
i'd take that deal and run with it ...auto $$ value cannot be compared to players

5 x cheap toyota @ ~$15k = 75k
1 x decent BMW ~ $45k

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:55 PM
  #44
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Burke may be good (personally, I think he's up and down). But he's no miracle worker, and I don't believe he has nude photos of Holmgren with a farm animal.
I thank the good lord everyday that I have never seen those photos.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
  #45
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Not enough truculence.

But yea, I'm sure the Flyers take this deal in a heartbeat. They are, afterall, obviously in rebuild mode. Plus they get that superstar player that everyone is after who goes by the name of "Cap Space". It surely would be awesome to watch Cap Space lift his first Stanley Cup.
here's our MVP. interested in a trade?


Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
  #46
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Saying Kadri has low value, Aulie doesn't hit is unfair as well
See, I agree with this. The Toronto offer in and of itself isn't garbage, but the OP is basically targeting our most untouchable player with picks and prospects.

I mean, make the same proposal for Jeff Carter and probably half our fanbase will think it's a good idea, because half our fanbase hates Jeff Carter. The OP could have then rationalized it by saying we could secure a legit goalie with the added cap space. That actually would have made some semblance of sense.

But for Mike Richards? It would never happen, and the reasons should be obvious to the entire hockey world.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
  #47
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Because they have the depth to replace him, Flyers would still have briere-carter-giroux as their top 3 centers, kadri is the caliber of prospect that you need a top 10 pick in order to acquire, something that the flyers are gonna be too good to get for a long time.
You do realize that depth is what makes the Flyers a good team right? Using your argument would you as a leafs fan trade Reimer to the Flyers for a 5th because you have goalie prospect depth? I'm sure the Flyers wouldn't mind helping to thin out your potential goalie depth by taking the current best piece at a discounted rate.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
  #48
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
here's our MVP. interested in a trade?

I'm gonna have to pass, but I have to tell ya, I LOVE that jersey. I don't so much love that particular name on the back, but the jersey itself is really freakin' sweet. Hope the Oilers wear those fulltime from now on.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:07 PM
  #49
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time
 
Tim Vezina Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck14 View Post
Do I think he will be? No.

Is it possible? Yes.
So whats your point? That anything is possible? Lol.

Whats the point of the draft then?

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 02:08 PM
  #50
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
i'd take that deal and run with it ...auto $$ value cannot be compared to players

5 x cheap toyota @ ~$15k = 75k
1 x decent BMW ~ $45k


Hmm, what if we are talking 5 rusted 1979 Toyota Corrolas @ about $150 each vs a 2011 BMW 7 series @ about $125k????

Not saying that the players match up to these numbers but hey, you can't just take 5 Toyotas over 1 BMW without actually knowing what the vehicles are.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.