HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011 III

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ok so he traded Kessel and got a return, I stand corrected. I dont know a comparable for certain on the caps but judging by his draft position, it would be the equivalent of trading Backstrom or Alzner perhaps. "Untouchable', and a shakeup to our core.

I realized this year, George needed to part with someone to shake up the team. I called for a roster trade. Not just his otherwise fine work at the deadline adding. Bringing a Feds in is fine, but with no one significant ever leaving, he is telling me that he overvalues his own picks. Making deals with him must be tough because he never gives anything in return. I only started to realize this year, him being so tight may actually be holding back our teams. None of his guys need to step up their game to avoid getting traded. Tightness can detrimental. You never get any roster trades done, he only offers other teams outcasts. Same team same players, same coach over and over, coupled with playoff failures.... at least some fans will be labeled insane.

I want Laich to move on, great guy good at everything, only because its the closest thing to a roster trade.
Not that it was a completely wild move, but he did trade Flash for Hannan. The fact that they traded Flash at all seemed like a bit of a shake up to me. I'm sure some could argue that Flash wasn't core and that someone like Semin or Green should have been traded instead, but he did go out and make a move. The year before he traded the team captain. I'd call that a bit of a shake up too.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Not that it was a completely wild move, but he did trade Flash for Hannan. The fact that they traded Flash at all seemed like a bit of a shake up to me. I'm sure some could argue that Flash wasn't core and that someone like Semin or Green should have been traded instead, but he did go out and make a move. The year before he traded the team captain. I'd call that a bit of a shake up too.
Flash had been a healthy scratch in each of the last two playoffs and Clark looked finished entirely. Only on a stagnant, coddled team like the Caps could two players like this being moved be considered a shake-up.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
He did make moves, but its always someone elses guys. Flash, discarded by Detroit, eventually traded. Bruce considered him core. But moving Clark (not his pick of course) was HUGE as a captain, and almost proves my point.

I hope George and fans remember that, and are not afraid of moving core. Jawanda proposed it and took a lot of heat. But we all remember the way the team played after that. Has anyone EVER seen a caps team play a better stretch than they did? My theory, the guys realized, crap, he is willing to move Clark, he is willing to move my ass to Columbus too. Shape up or be shipped out. I love the effects of trades. But only moving out picks scares no players straight.

Of course we fizzled after the olympics, lost all our Mo. Hindsight 2020, if he could have done that trade at the TDL instead of January = peaking at the right time = improved cup chance.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

What's more interesting is how the team played like "crap" following trades of peripherals like Flash and Clark.

While sad and you mourn the loss of a comrade, a platoon can't fall apart because it losses a few privates.

Says something about the mental make-up of the team which starts at leadership.

Oh wait. What leadership.

Last edited by HSHS: 06-23-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old
06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Stewie G

I hope the irony of the two preceding posts isn't lost on anyone.

Hahaha.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
He did make moves, but its always someone elses guys. Flash, discarded by Detroit, eventually traded. Bruce considered him core. But moving Clark (not his pick of course) was HUGE as a captain, and almost proves my point.

I hope George and fans remember that, and are not afraid of moving core. Jawanda proposed it and took a lot of heat. But we all remember the way the team played after that. Has anyone EVER seen a caps team play a better stretch than they did? My theory, the guys realized, crap, he is willing to move Clark, he is willing to move my ass to Columbus too. Shape up or be shipped out. I love the effects of trades. But only moving out picks scares no players straight.

Of course we fizzled after the olympics, lost all our Mo. Hindsight 2020, if he could have done that trade at the TDL instead of January = peaking at the right time = improved cup chance.
You seem to be contradicting yourself all over the place. Contorting things until they line up with your point of view. I actually have started to lose track of the point you're trying to make.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
You seem to be contradicting yourself all over the place. Contorting things until they line up with your point of view. I actually have started to lose track of the point you're trying to make.
I dont doubt that I do contradict myself at times. Trying to counter you and Tex and the Devil get me spun around I am sure. Sorry if I dont always make sense. I dont do it on purpose to f with you!

Long and short, I want someone moved out of here. Our core guys regressed last year. The core must be addressed.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I dont doubt that I do contradict myself at times. Trying to counter you and Tex and the Devil get me spun around I am sure. Sorry if I dont always make sense. I dont do it on purpose to f with you!

Long and short, I want someone moved out of here. Our core guys regressed last year. The core must be addressed.
Just Txpd and NBTW.

BB Forever!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!

Old
06-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
What's more interesting is how the team played like "crap" following trades of peripherals like Flash and Clark.
I'm sorry but you considered the 17-5-2 run the team had between dealing away Clark and the Olympics playing like 'crap?'

Tough crowd...

Old
06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm sorry but you considered the 17-5-2 run the team had between dealing away Clark and the Olympics playing like 'crap?'

Tough crowd...
Didn't they lose like 3-4 straight? I'd have to go back and check which you obviously did. So either I'm flat out wrong in my memory or you're selectively choosing. Either one is just as likely.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yep 3 straight. Longest regulation losing streak. And it wasn't just the loses. They looked horrid. Losing at home to Carolina... Then at SJ. They normally play poorly at SJ. But I especially remember the disorganization and inability to put pressure on til the 3rd period. I think we had low teens in shots before Knubes scored. Then they started to turn it on vs the Kings before they played well vs Montreal.

Yeah a 3 game streak sitting here now isn't nothing special. But go period by period wonder wt heck happened and if it will go away. Just was painful.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Didn't they lose like 3-4 straight? I'd have to go back and check which you obviously did. So either I'm flat out wrong in my memory or you're selectively choosing. Either one is just as likely.
They lost 3 in a row but teams do that all the time. They had already had 3 3 games or more losing streaks earlier that season. But then they won 17 out of 18 so I wouldn't say losing Clark and Jurcina had any effect at all on the team.

The Caps won the first game after dealing away Fleischmann and then lost 8 in a row. 8 game losing streaks for good teams aren't anywhere typical. 3 gamers? No big deal at all.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Clark was slow as molasses and dropping down the depth chart fast. Few here were beating the drums of support for him. He was getting scratched IIRC, awkward being our captain and all. No one here like Jurcina at all, well besides me. And George since he reacquired him.

Yet dumping them lead to 17 of 18. Its hard to deny the short term effect it had.

I seem to remember quite a few here tooting George's horn saying what a great fit Chimera was here in our attack forward offense. Maybe even some that dont like the trade.

Old
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Stewie G

Quote:

I get myself turned around at times too, but I'm not really trying to counter you. Just trying to flesh out where you're coming from.

You were saying that they don't trade away core pieces, but after I identified two that fit that category fairly well, you added the qualifier that George is only willing to move players he didn't pick. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that, but since you didn't mention it at first, I wasn't sure if you either forgot those moves or didn't think either player fell into the "core" category.

I'm on the fence in regards to moving a core piece. I'd much rather see how the current pieces fit under a new coach.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

2011-2012 NHL Schedule released today.

Sets of back-to-backs for the Caps (teams with a * are on the second night of a back-to-back).

11/04 @ Carolina
11/05 @ NY Islanders

11/11 @ New Jersey
11/12 New Jersey*

11/25 NY Rangers
11/26 @ Buffalo*

12/30 Buffalo
12/31 @ Columbus

01/17 NY Islanders*
01/18 @ Montreal

01/31 @ Tampa Bay
02/01 @ Florida

02/04 @ Montreal
02/05 Boston*

02/12 @ NY Rangers
02/13 San Jose*

02/17 @ Florida
02/18 @ Tampa Bay

02/24 Montreal
02/25 @ Toronto

03/10 @ Boston
03/11 Toronto*

03/18 @ Chicago
03/19 @ Detroit

03/22 @ Philadelphia
03/23 Winnipeg

5 second-of-back-to-back games in February and 3 in March. The last couple of months are going to be very tiring and hectic, including this crazy couple of weeks:

03/10 @ Boston
03/11 Toronto
03/13 @ NY Islanders
03/16 @ Winnipeg
03/18 @ Chicago
03/19 @ Detroit
03/22 @ Philadelphia
03/23 Winnipeg

Old
06-24-2011, 03:34 AM
dashtary*

Now back to hockey. (Sorry about that little rant).
Two tidbits, one of them not really a surprise/stating the obvious, and the other, well just read for yourself.

Quote:
Orlov also tells sport-nk.ru that he will not go back to Russia if the #Caps ask him to start out in Hershey this year.
Quote:
#Caps prospect Dimitry Orlov is ticked off big time. His family was promised apartment in Novokuznetsk for winning WJC, never materialized.
- Slava Malamud

Old
06-24-2011, 03:41 AM
dashtary*

Great read. You've got to love the kids' drive and determination. Of course everyone knows I love him. But he's going to be a huge player for us.
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...ll-play-there/

Old
06-24-2011, 11:16 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Clark was slow as molasses and dropping down the depth chart fast. Few here were beating the drums of support for him. He was getting scratched IIRC, awkward being our captain and all. No one here like Jurcina at all, well besides me. And George since he reacquired him.

Yet dumping them lead to 17 of 18. Its hard to deny the short term effect it had.

I seem to remember quite a few here tooting George's horn saying what a great fit Chimera was here in our attack forward offense. Maybe even some that dont like the trade.
Its not just few beating his drum... but the popular mantra was that he was "untradeable." Very much kudos for GMGM on that.

Clark
Pettinger
Stecks

GMGM is good a dumping mistakes.

edit: QD THANKS! I always do this myself. Thanks for saving me some time.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Its not just few beating his drum... but the popular mantra was that he was "untradeable." Very much kudos for GMGM on that.

Clark
Pettinger
Stecks

GMGM is good a dumping mistakes.

edit: QD THANKS! I always do this myself. Thanks for saving me some time.
Then when will he dump Semin and Schultz?????????????

Old
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Then when will he dump Semin and Schultz?????????????
He's a little slow to deciding when he's made a mistake.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
@dchesnokov Ovechkin says he will start his preseason training “closer to August… I may change my training routine this summer.” #Caps
Quote:
@jtbourne @dchesnokov Wow…that’s really, really interesting. Weber, Keith, Getzlaf, Heatley and others that summer in Kelowna start lifting May/June
FWIW

Old
07-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

An in-depth look at the season of Michal Neuvirth

http://myfriendcorey.wordpress.com/2...chal-neuvirth/

Old
07-07-2011, 07:07 AM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
FWIW
Iyee chihuahua. Ovechkin needed to train all summer. He needs to drop weight.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Dream Big

Our guys Alzner, Backstrom, Beagle, Carlson, Green talk on Calgary radio station while at Greenie's golf tournament. See pages 2 and 3.

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/?page=2

Old
07-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Dream Big

Our girl Katie's blog:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider

Closed Thread