HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2011 NFL Thread (Are you ready for some Footbaaaaalllalllalll!!!!!) *Part I*

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2011, 02:26 AM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Ughhhh I can't stand Eagles fans.

We would've won the NFC East last year if it wasn't for that fluke loss and we wouldn't have to hear the idiocy they spew.
If my aunt had balls..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
They won that game because our special teams blew it. The Green Bay game, sure. We blew that one as a team. But the "Miracle at the New Meadowlands" (dramatic name for a regular season game where the Eagles got knocked out of the playoffs the first game they played, but I digress) was a fluke. As far as i'm concerned we're just as good as the Eagles.

Of course i'm mad at the team, and recognize that you have to play the whole game, but if I have to hear another idiot Eagle's fan say Desean Jackson is the best WR in the NFC or Michael Vick is the best QB in the game I'm going to flip.
Who's saying Jackson or Vick are the best at their positions?

The Eagles and Giants are pretty close in terms of talent but I don't see how you can't give the edge to Philly considering they're coming off three straight playoff appearances and the Giants choked down the stretch two straight years. This is starting to remind me of the pre-2009 Phillies/Mets debate. The team that just barely missed the playoffs (NYG/NYM) and their fans are trying to give excuses for their collapse while giving no credit to the team they're trying to catch (and I'm a Mets fan).

Right now, Philadelphia is a better team than NY, but it's close. Neither team has done anything this offseason yet that makes you say they're the class of the NFC East. Kolb for Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd could end up being a steal for the Eagles if they get a solid backup in Young, as it solves their HUGE hole at Corner. A team that had Dimitri Patterson, Ellis Hobbs, Joselio Hanson and Trevard Lindley rotating at #1 CB (when Samuel was hurt) or #2 CB all year now have probably the NFC's best 1/2 punch at CB. Both teams are basically set aside from Linebacker, which is a major hole for both teams.

It makes no sense why the Eagles are going into the season with Chaney-Matthews-Fokou/Clayton starting at LB. Tulloch anyone?

The Eagles are better offensively/coaching wise, the Giants are better defensively. The NFC East looks like a two horse race again but I wouldn't discount Dallas either. Right now though, I'd say Philadelphia looks like they'll win the division with the Giants getting a WC. The fact that the Eagles have beaten the Giants 6 straight times is in the Giants' head and until the Giants beat them head to head there's no way anyone can say the Giants are better.

Last edited by NYRSchrute217: 07-29-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old
07-29-2011, 09:15 AM
NYGRYK21
American Ambassador

Surprise, surprise Osi doesn't report.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:03 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

CharlieBurkNYC Charlie Burkowitz
morning update: my sources say the aso deal will be announced shortly. no time estimates, but soon. 6 years #nfl #jets

Old
07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
NYGRYK21
American Ambassador

Schefter said it's 80% Jets, 10% Cowboys, 10% rest of the league

Old
07-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Chalfdiggity3

I heard on some sports talk radio show that the jets have signed Asomugha to a 6 year $70mm deal..

Old
07-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Miz

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
Surprise, surprise Osi doesn't report.
Thats the one problem i have with the NFL, you signed a contract, honor it!

Old
07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Jacobs officially restructured his contract from $4.9 M this season to $4.65 M. Should free up some money for Bradshaw.

Old
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Thats the one problem i have with the NFL, you signed a contract, honor it!
why? The owners don't have to honor it, why should the players?

Old
07-29-2011, 12:51 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Jernigan signed to a 4 year deal.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:10 PM
17futurecap

Giants signed Jets punter Steve Weatherford, solid punter, but oof he had some dreadful postseason games.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
sbjnyc

At least he knows the stadium well. Giants may not have much hope of getting a home playoff game though.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
At least he knows the stadium well. Giants may not have much hope of getting a home playoff game though.
Why not? Giants were 5 minutes away from winning the division last season.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:42 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I heard on some sports talk radio show that the jets have signed Asomugha to a 6 year $70mm deal..
they were wrong.

Nnamdi still unsigned.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
twistedwrister17
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
they were wrong.

Nnamdi still unsigned.
Well the Cowboys just signed Marcus Spears to a 5 year 19.2 million dollar contract so they're pretty much out of the running... unless Nnamdi wants to take a massive paycut that is. I still see it happening but it's taking an absurdly long time to get done.

07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Why not? Giants were 5 minutes away from winning the division last season.
Eagles are going to be much improved over last season and hard to beat - unsure about the Cowboys. The Redskins are, well they're still the redskins so one less hurdle for the Giants.

But from the outside at least, it looks like Tisch is trying to force Plax on Coughlin - that's just not smart (here's a 1 year extension oh and by the way we might sign an ex-con who hates you - guess who!).

Losing 3 offensive lineman will also be a big blow. The Giants seem to be freeing up a lot of cap space but I'm not sure for what. If all it allows them to do is resign some of they're vets (Bradshaw, Smith and Boss) then they are going to struggle next season. When the Jets lost Woody and Faneca, it really hurt them. The Giant OL was the really core of their offense IMO and without it they may finish 3rd (especially considering Osi appears to be holding out - not sure).

Old
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Well the Cowboys just signed Marcus Spears to a 5 year 19.2 million dollar contract so they're pretty much out of the running... unless Nnamdi wants to take a massive paycut that is. I still see it happening but it's taking an absurdly long time to get done.
There are rumored to still be other teams in the hunt. Lots of other teams have a ton of cap room.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Bart Scott, LT, and Brandon Moore all restructered their contracts today. Jets released Brunell and should resign him to a lower cap number as well. No matter what the Jets need to get Harris cap number down by signing him to a long term contract. It just makes sense to pay him less then $10M a year.

If the Jets sign Aso and pair him with Revis it frees Ryan up to do what he likes to do most. Blitz the QB from all angles.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
Eagles are going to be much improved over last season
How so? Its virtually the exact same team, plus a corner, and minus a good backup QB to the injury prone Vick.

Quote:
Losing 3 offensive lineman will also be a big blow.
Disagree. O'hara barely played last year. Seubert - Baas is a wash. And Andrews was a backup.

Quote:
The Giants seem to be freeing up a lot of cap space but I'm not sure for what. If all it allows them to do is resign some of they're vets (Bradshaw, Smith and Boss) then they are going to struggle next season. .
Giants were over the cap. They freed up space to resign their players.

Dont see how that means they will struggle. They have a good team, who got derailed last season largely because of fluky turnovers (tipped balls) and WR injuries (lost 6 receivers during the season)

Old
07-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
There are rumored to still be other teams in the hunt. Lots of other teams have a ton of cap room.
A rumor earlier had a "mystery team" bidding for Aso. Lots of teams have cap space and as a Jets fan I'm not celebrating until I see Aso with a Jets cap on his head.

I'm sure at some point the Jets are going to tell him he either needs to sign or they are moving on.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:59 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If the Jets sign Aso and pair him with Revis it frees Ryan up to do what he likes to do most. Blitz the QB from all angles.
and get destroyed by teams that can throw to TEs/backs/slot receivers. Like the patriots.

Lets not forget the patriots slapped the jets 45-3 when brady was healthy last season.

Still think the Jets would be better off signing Cromartie + a pass rusher.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
A rumor earlier had a "mystery team" bidding for Aso.
Is Scott Boras his agent?

Old
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
and get destroyed by teams that can throw to TEs/backs/slot receivers. Like the patriots.

Lets not forget the patriots slapped the jets 45-3 when brady was healthy last season.

Still think the Jets would be better off signing Cromartie + a pass rusher.
Brady was also healthy in the playoffs...

Old
07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrelle Lundqvist View Post
Brady was also healthy in the playoffs...

He had surgery on his foot after that game.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
17futurecap

If he was hurt badly why would he of played any of that week 17 game vs Miami with nothing to play for? Everyone is hurt after a full season, but I know everyone hates the Jets and get no credit for going up there and just flat out out playing them.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
If he was hurt badly why would he of played any of that week 17 game vs Miami with nothing to play for?
because resting it for a week doesnt make it any better.

Closed Thread