HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 NFL Thread (Are you ready for some Footbaaaaalllalllalll!!!!!) *Part I*

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 409 View Post
Brees "broke the curse" last season.
Technically yes...

Except he got knocked out of the playoffs by the Seahawks and had a very sub-par year.

Curse is still going strong, baby.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:27 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

If the players de-certify the union simply to lift the lockout then they shouldn't be able to reform IMO. They players have gone on strike in the past so what's the difference with being locked out?

I actually feel for the owners here. The players are being allowed to have it both ways after setting a past precedent.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

So does this mean free agency is open and stuff.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
So does this mean free agency is open and stuff.
NFL has appealed so it's all still on hold.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
NFL has appealed so it's all still on hold.
Ughh.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Technically yes...

Except he got knocked out of the playoffs by the Seahawks and had a very sub-par year.

Curse is still going strong, baby.
He played the whole game against Seattle...

Old
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
He played the whole game against Seattle...
Well I meant his team.

Old
04-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Well I meant his team.
Ah, okay I understand now. I am not that familiar with the curse. My understanding was that it was injury related to the player on the cover though?

Old
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Ah, okay I understand now. I am not that familiar with the curse. My understanding was that it was injury related to the player on the cover though?
I always thought i was just a bad thing whether it be an injury or lack of success.

2004- Vick breaks leg in preseason
2005- Ray Lewis has an extremely off year
2006- McNabb either tears his ACL or has a hernia
2007- Shaun Alexander falls off the face of the earth
2008- Vince Young.....Nuff said
2009- Brett Favre the whole retirement fiasco injuries with the Jets/Vikings
2010- Polamalu/Fitzgerald both get hurt
2011- Brees team choked against the Seahawks

Old
04-27-2011, 11:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
If the players de-certify the union simply to lift the lockout then they shouldn't be able to reform IMO. They players have gone on strike in the past so what's the difference with being locked out?

I actually feel for the owners here. The players are being allowed to have it both ways after setting a past precedent.
That's just not how labor law works.

There are legitimate reasons to decertify, that have nothing to do with CBA negotiations. If, for instance, the union has become corrupt or ineffective, workers have the opportunity to remove their representation. Of course they're then able to reorganize themselves, should they so choose. It's something that's happened to the NFLPA before, in fact.

After the last strike, the owners contractually agreed to the players' right to disband their union upon expiration of the CBA. The owners agreed to this right! Beyond that, they agreed that they wouldn't contest a decertification--and yet here we are, with the owners contesting the decert!

"Past precedent" is a legal concept that has no application in what is going on here. The players have a legal right to strike. That is well established in the private sector. Do the owners have the right to lock out a non-unionized professional association? No, they don't. They're operating as a freaking cartel, in violation of all sorts of federal law. And now they're going to pay the price.

These owners are billionaires making money hand-over-fist. If they had any type of reasonable foresight, they never would have agreed to the contractual stipulations that they did in the past. Those same stipulations that the players are now utilizing to make legitimate antitrust claims against them! Again, the owners are making an absolute killing running their cartel, so much so that they still refuse to open up the books so everyone can see just how profitable they are. And what do they do, with their insane profits? Attempt to squeeze even more profit out of their next CBA. They want to operate as a free-market entity existing in an entirely closed system. The hypocrisy driven by greed is astonishing.

It's just pain.
Old
04-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Zil

How anyone can feel sorry for the owners when they make billions off guys who destroy their bodies on non-guaranteed contracts that can be canceled at any time baffles me. I don't even like football or football players, but they clearly deserve better than what the owners are giving them.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
How anyone can feel sorry for the owners when they make billions off guys who destroy their bodies on non-guaranteed contracts that can be canceled at any time baffles me. I don't even like football or football players, but they clearly deserve better than what the owners are giving them.
This.

Also, I heard on wfan a couple of weeks ago that the average life expectancy of an nfl player is something like 54 years. I nearly drove off the road when I heard that.

The players weren't even asking for anything additional, they just wanted the status quo. Just give the owners the rookie wage scale that they want and call it a day. I think that's fair. Keep everything else the same.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
This.

Also, I heard on wfan a couple of weeks ago that the average life expectancy of an nfl player is something like 54 years. I nearly drove off the road when I heard that.

The players weren't even asking for anything additional, they just wanted the status quo. Just give the owners the rookie wage scale that they want and call it a day. I think that's fair. Keep everything else the same.
Yup. The owners were the ones that opted out of this CBA, and the owners were the ones that ordered a lock out. They had every opportunity to extend this CBA another year and continue negotiating, but they chose not to. And this is where we're at.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yup. The owners were the ones that opted out of this CBA, and the owners were the ones that ordered a lock out. They had every opportunity to extend this CBA another year and continue negotiating, but they chose not to. And this is where we're at.
It just surprises me that they're willing to kill the golden goose out of pure greed. They want the players to take pay cuts, play more games, and introduce a rookie wage scale, all while working on non-guaranteed contracts. I smell a rat.

The rookie wage scale thing I can kind of get on board with, since it inherently devalues top picks. The other stuff though is despicable. It really shows you that all this safety crap from the league was just a PR stunt. If they really cared about the players, they wouldn't ask them to play more games. It is already shown that, even at 16 games, a large percentage of NFL players will develop health problems later in life, directly related to the physical abuse.

Most of the players are still wearing helmets that were designed over 20 years ago, all while the game has gotten faster, and the players bigger. Why not mandate tough new standards for equipment, especially helmets? The answer is simple: they don't care. They would rather make a PR splash by throwing flags every time a QB is breathed on, or fining players for hard hits.

All of this, and they're still able to cut bait from a contract that THEY signed. They get all the benefits of locking players into a contract, but none of the risk.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
I always thought i was just a bad thing whether it be an injury or lack of success.

2009- Brett Favre the whole retirement fiasco injuries with the Jets/Vikings
Brett Favre, more like Jets start 8-3, Favre tears his bicep, Jets finish the season 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Favre takes pictures of his dong and sends to Jenn Sterger.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Brett Favre, more like Jets start 8-3, Favre tears his bicep, Jets finish the season 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Favre takes pictures of his dong and sends to Jenn Sterger.

But seriously, who DOES THAT?!

Old
04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I don't care about the curse, I'm just glad Vick didn't win.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ug=ap-nfllabor

NFL resumes football operations (no CBA yet, obviously).

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—The NFL has told its teams and players to get back to football, at least for now.

Told twice in three days by a federal judge that its 45-day lockout was illegal, the league assured teams and players they could resume some of the normal day-to-day football operations beginning Friday, including voluntary workouts at team facilities, meetings with coaches and going over playbooks.

The league also promised to distribute detailed procedures for signing free agents, making trades and other roster moves. That memo, the league said, will likely come Friday and spell out the timing for the start of the league year.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Draft day. I'd be ecstatic with Pouncey or Tyron Smith. Happy with Castonzo or Ingram. Content with Soldier or Camrimi. Pissed with anything else.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:16 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Don't want Ingram or Castonzo.

Want Ayers, Pouncey, Smith (Tyron or Jimmie) or Solder.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
mullichicken25

from what i've read it looks like theres almost no chance Pouncey gets past miami @ 15

Old
04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
from what i've read it looks like theres almost no chance Pouncey gets past miami @ 15
This is true, and if he did slip past them he probably won't be slipping past New England. To get him, teams will have to trade up.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Yeah I know.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Also the latest mock drafts are in. Kiper says we take Castonzo, McShay and Mayock say we take Mark Ingram.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
...All of this, and they're still able to cut bait from a contract that THEY signed. They get all the benefits of locking players into a contract, but none of the risk.
I'm on board with most of your statements. The owners in most markets are incredibly profitable, and they only want a larger chunk of the pie, without even making their finances public (only GB releases their financial statements, by law as being publically owned).

BUT..., your above statement is not completely true. There are contract holdouts. While it's true any player could potentially holdout in any sport, the NFL allows contract renegotiation. As a result, every year, we see the spectacle and nonsense that is the contract holdout. Even though neither issue is on the table during these CBA discussions, I would love for the end of both non-guaranteed contracts and the ability to renegotiate contracts.

Closed Thread