HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Buf

Old
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

vCash: 500
Tor - Buf

Possible Draft Day Deal

To Toronto: Zack Kassian & 2011 BUF 3rd

To Buffalo: Keith Aulie & 2011 PHI 1st

Phaneuf and Aulie were a very effective top pairing during the second half of the season. A future top pairing of Myers and Aulie would be scary.

We all know Burke would love to get Kassian to solve the Leafs need for a young power forward.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Leafssss

Leafs don't need prospects, they need NHL ready players. Good offer though, but with what Aulie has been able to get out of Phaneuf, I'm not so sure I'm ready to deal him. Maybe if Gardiner plays well with Phaneuf.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Aulie has been very good for us, he allows phaneuf to play similar to the way he did in Calgary. He's pretty much untouchable unless we get another Dman who phaneuf plays well with

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:28 PM
ct2111

The last thing I want is them trading their only available top 6 power forward prospect with a mean streak to a division rival.
Aulie is a good young player and the way he plays is exactly what the Sabres should be looking for as a partner for Myers, but they can't afford to get any younger on D, they already have Myers, Butler, Weber, Gragnani and Sekera who are all 24 or younger.

If the Leafs weren't a division rival or/and if Aulie had more experience, I would find that deal very enticing.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:33 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

I'd say that is a very solid proposal.

I'm not sure if I would want the Leafs to make such a trade due to how effective Aulie is as a partner for Phaneuf. Without Aulie, we would need to go out and acquire another defenseman for the top 4.

MoreMogilny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
The last thing I want is them trading their only available top 6 power forward prospect with a mean streak to a division rival.
Aulie is a good young player and the way he plays is exactly what the Sabres should be looking for as a partner for Myers, but they can't afford to get any younger on D, they already have Myers, Butler, Weber, Gragnani and Sekera who are all 24 or younger.

If the Leafs weren't a division rival or/and if Aulie had more experience, I would find that deal very enticing.
I agree it's risky trading prospects within your division [(TOR/BOS, 2006)(TOR/BOS, 2009)], but I think this is a deal that would pay off for both team because it would fill organizational needs.

I think Kassian is going to be a very effective power forward that would provide a whole lot of space for our smallish top six, and you know what you're getting with Aulie. He would be a perfect stay-at-home compliment to Myers.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Havok89

Not a chance Buffalo gives Kassian to a division rival.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Possible Draft Day Deal

Phaneuf and Aulie were a very effective top pairing during the second half of the season. A future top pairing of Myers and Aulie would be scary.

We all know Burke would love to get Kassian to solve the Leafs need for a young power forward.
laughable

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:17 PM
100angryvikings

Interesting proposal, but if Leafs are giving up valuable assets Id rather target a playmaking centre for Kessel. Thats our top need right now with Kulemin starting to play a power-forward type game. Plus I really like Aulie. Nobody projected him to play so well on the top pair, and the fact that our captain looked like he did in his Calgary days while playing with Aulie makes me very, very reluctant to deal him.

Add to that the fact that Kassian is still an unknown, and this deal is a close no for me.

100angryvikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:20 PM
seanlinden

Pointless trade -- likely from both perspectives and definitely from the Leafs perspective. Toronto doesn't need another Colby Armstrong type-player, especially at the cost of a 1st rounder... they need to use those picks in conjunction with other assets to trade for top of the lineup guys.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Pointless trade -- likely from both perspetives and definitely from the Leafs perspective. Toronto doesn't need another Colby Armstrong type-player, especially at the cost of Aulie...
Fixed

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
I think the Leafs would reconsider if it was their 2nd going to Buffalo, or if it were Boston's 1st.

Marvelous Manked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Zack Kassian was a top10ish pick and is currently ranked as Buffalo's top prospect and 24th best prospect by HF (for what it's worth).

Keith Aulie is an older, unranked and very average prospect. Plus, frankly, nobody is interested in him, it's just you leafs fans who keep throwing him in every proposal. A 25ish pick is far from enough to offset the value difference between a marginal prospect and a top10 picked blossoming SOB power forward. Nobody cares that "he had a good second stretch".

This proposal is HORRIBLE for Buffalo, and if you are currently 10 leafs fans discussing about how it's "pointless for both" with nobody to argue, I think it's because people don't really see the point of trying to educate such a stubborn and delusional fanbase anymore.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:15 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

buffalo does not do the deal

I know leaf fans will say Aulie is worth the 2 first rounders(klassien was first rounder)--but Aulie is not tht good

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:18 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Zack Kassian was a top10ish pick and is currently ranked as Buffalo's top prospect and 24th best prospect by HF (for what it's worth).

Keith Aulie is an older, unranked and very average prospect. Plus, frankly, nobody is interested in him, it's just you leafs fans who keep throwing him in every proposal. A 25ish pick is far from enough to offset the value difference between a marginal prospect and a top10 picked blossoming SOB power forward. Nobody cares that "he had a good second stretch".

This proposal is HORRIBLE for Buffalo, and if you are currently 10 leafs fans discussing about how it's "pointless for both" with nobody to argue, I think it's because people don't really see the point of trying to educate such a stubborn and delusional fanbase anymore.

I think some of them have grown tired of argueing

like some people have grown tired of some of the crap my fellow oil fans have tossed out there

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:18 AM
hattub

Quote:

Thankfully we have you.

hattub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:24 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
buffalo does not do the deal

I know leaf fans will say Aulie is worth the 2 first rounders(klassien was first rounder)--but Aulie is not tht good
You got it mixed up the leafs are the one who is giving up a first round pick.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:37 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
Not commenting on the proposal but Aulie and Myers were paired together in the WJHC a couple years ago.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:27 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Hope ur not serious, if you are your an idiot. Its a SOLID proposal.
so you want to give up a young d man who has played in the NHL and looked solid+ a 1st for prospect that has yet to play in the NHL and a 3rd?

no thanks I like Kassian to but no thanks

Old
05-07-2011, 05:53 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Possible Draft Day Deal

It's an interesting proposal, and certainly better than many others I've seen on this site recently.

Doubt Buffalo would do it though as they're very high on Kassian.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:10 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

why do people keep saying it's an interesting proposal it's an awful proposal. so Let me get tis stright you guys want to trade a young D man who was basically a steal at this point in the Phaneuf trade. Who came in and RIGHT AWAY played top 4 minutes and played tem well, a kid who helped turn around Dions game in he 2nd half a kid who is only going to get better PLUS you want to add a 1st round pick in exchange for......

A kid who I admit a really like in Kassian BUT a kid who has yet to show THING in the NHL NOTHING we don't know if he can play. He MIGHT be a PPG winger or e might be a complete bust we don't know. AND you want to add 3rd because you think it makes up for the trading of a 1st.

NO thats a riaky idea I will keep the more proven asset that has actually played in the NHL.

Might I add Aulie is a MONSTER at 6"6 217 LBS

Last edited by LEAFANFORLIFE23: 05-07-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old
05-07-2011, 06:28 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

In a vacuum, it makes sense. In reality, it doesn't.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:33 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Possible Draft Day Deal

Aulie projects to be a stabilizing influence on the blueline for the next decade. He's big, mobile, can effectively rub guy out, and is an under-rated fighter. He's also young and has some upside.

While Kassian projects to be a solid player big mobile d-men with character don't come around as often. The Leafs would have interest in Kassian but not if the price was Aulie.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:39 AM
birddog*

Quote:

Keith Aulie is an older, unranked and very average prospect.
Plus, frankly, nobody is interested in him, it's just you leafs fans who keep throwing him in every proposal. A 25ish pick is far from enough to offset the value difference between a marginal prospect and a top10 picked blossoming SOB power forward. Nobody cares that "he had a good second stretch".

He's not a prospect anymore -- he actually plays on the top pairing. He's also 6'6" and very mobile. Uses his body effectively and is a solid fighter. Destroyed a couple vets in fights including Scott Hartnell.

But yeah -- HF's rankings are the holy grail -- except I can name 4 guys that will be better then most on that list ---> Reimer, Frattin, Aulie, and Colborne.

Seriously, you like Kassian, keep him. Leaf fans love Aulie but don't pretend 6'6" mobile, tough dmen grow on trees. Nor do 21 year old dman playing 20+ minutes a night.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:25 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's not a prospect anymore -- he actually plays on the top pairing. He's also 6'6" and very mobile. Uses his body effectively and is a solid fighter. Destroyed a couple vets in fights including Scott Hartnell.

But yeah -- HF's rankings are the holy grail -- except I can name 4 guys that will be better then most on that list ---> Reimer, Frattin, Aulie, and Colborne.

Seriously, you like Kassian, keep him. Leaf fans love Aulie but don't pretend 6'6" mobile, tough dmen grow on trees. Nor do 21 year old dman playing 20+ minutes a night.
FWIW, I think Vsevolod Bobrov is a neutral fan. Certainly never seen him around the Sabres board before.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote