HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Taylor Chat Transcript

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Ralph
Stevehead.

vCash: 500
Dave Taylor Chat Transcript

I didn't see this posted...

Dave Taylor is answering questions in the chat at www.lakings.com right now until 8 PM PT.

Edit: http://lakings.com/content/fanzone_detail.asp?id=1794

Old
07-12-2004, 10:02 PM
kingsfan25

Yep...that sure was a great oppurtunity to watch Dave Taylor find new and exciting ways to tell us nothing at all.

I do give him credit for actually taking the time to talk to the fans, though. That's a rarity among pro sports organizations.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:26 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
I will have the transcript posted in about 5 minutes.

07-12-2004, 10:32 PM
David A. Rainer

Why are Tambellini, Pusshkaryov, Balaz and Karlsson not at the Kings Dev Camp?

Dave Taylor: Jeff Tambellini fractured his wrist at the end of last season and it's not quite healed. Pushkaryov is under contract to Omsk of the Russian Elite League and is training with them. Balaz was here last year as a try-out, but is not one of our players. Karlsson is training with his Swedish team, Frolunda. Also, in addition, Lauri Tukonen injured his back while weight lifting last week and canceled at the last minute. Reports are he will be fine for the season.

How is pushkarev developing and what type of player can he be the future?

Dave Taylor: Pushkaryov is developing fine, he played most of last year in the second division in Russia. We think he has the potential to be a top-6 forward in the NHL. His biggest need at this point is to continue to build strength.

Thanx for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be here. Was there a serious offer to trade up or down in 1st round or was Tukonen at 11th too good to pass up?

Dave Taylor: We looked at a number of options, to potentially move up in the draft. After the top three players, there was little consensus on the remaining players. We had a list of seven players that we felt were the best prospects and felt there was a good chance one would fall to us at eleven. Tukonen was one of the seven and we were pleased that he fell to us.

In the final analysis, why weren't Rome and Rooneem signed?

Dave Taylor: That is a good question. Both players have late birthdays and the ability to become unrestricted two years after we drafted them. In Rome's case we offered him a contract last year, but had him behind Gleason and Grebeshkov on our depth chart. Ultimately he felt he would have a better opportunity to play in the NHL with another organization. Rooneem, was a player we offered a contract to this year, but he felt he had a better opportunity to ultimately make the NHL with Minnesota.

Hi Dave... any progress on Palffy? If you can't sign him, can you talk about what other players you have talked with to potentially fill his role?

Dave Taylor: Nothing new to report in contract negotiations with Ziggy. I speak regularly to his agent, but we have not progressed any further from where we were two weeks ago. We will continue to monitor Ziggy's position and would love to have him return to the Kings, but I also believe we have made a substantial and fair offer.

Since Deadmarsh has turned into such a bust, do you feel the Blake trade was a complete failure at this point

Dave Taylor: Rob Blake was poised to be an unrestricted free agent and would have left in the off season with no return for the Kings. In this trade, we acquired Adam Deadmarsh and Aaron Miller, two key players for our team over the course of the next three seasons. During that time, Deadmarsh was one of our top players, and a key in our playoff series victory over Detroit. So I would disagree with you that Deadmarsh was a bust. Keep in mind, we also received two first round picks and prospect Jared Aulin.

i assume conroy is our no. 2 center, who are we looking to aquire to replace allison, if we do, as our no.1?

Dave Taylor: Thank you. We think Mathieu Garon has a tremendous upside and age 26, he is poised to become a number one goalie in this league. Playing time will be determined by performance in training camp and early in the season, but we feel Garon will challenge Roman.

Brown , Pirnes and Gleason were nice suprises last year. Who do you think has a good chance to suprise us this year?

Dave Taylor: We feel Grebeshkov has a strong upside and could challenge for a regular spot on our blueline this year. Cammalleri and Barney both have ability and could see more ice time with the Kings as well. From this year's draft class, keep your eye on Eric Neilson during development camp. He is a 20 year old winger who skates well and brings great leadership and toughness to our lineup.

What position do you see Cammalleri being most effective at? It seemed as though he was clicking very well with Straka as a linemate for a stretch of 11 games where he produced 8 goals. Is Michael in the clubs long term plans or is time running out on him to stick in the top 6? It seems to be a waste of his talents for him not to be put in a productive role.

Dave Taylor: Mike had a great training camp for us last year, but was slowed by a knee injury he suffered in Bakersfield during a pre-season game. He had a good year in Manchester and finished strongly. I would expect he will be very well prepared this year and could earn a regular spot in training camp. I would agree with your assessment that he is best suited in a productive role.

Three veteran players were lost to free agency this summer (Modry, Lapperriere and Palffy) and they all wore A's, are there any players on the team in particular who you think will step and provide added leadership for this coming season, and maybe become Alternate captains?

Dave Taylor: Andy Murray will ultimately decide who, besides Mattias Norstrom, will wear a letter on their jersey, but players like Robitaille, Armstrong, Miller, Conroy, or Visnovsky seem like logical candidates.

How did our prospects look at the first day of camp?

Dave Taylor: The prospects look great for the first on-ice session. Practice was conducted at a brisk pace and the goalies got a lot of work with the drills Andy had designed. Today the drills emphasis skating, shooting and individual skills with less focus on team play.

Do you think there is any chance or signing Adam Deadmarsh or Jason Allison to contracts lower than what they would have gotten if they had been healthy?

Dave Taylor: We continue to monitor the health of both players. At this point, they are still experiencing medical problems, but we would be open to discussing their return to our team if and when they return to 100% health. I think both players realize if they sign a contract, it will be for less than they made last season.

With the talk of the Kings picking up another goal scorer, does that all end with the recent aquisition of Craig Conroy? Or do you see another player pickup in the near future, one with the capability of scoring at least 50 pts?

Dave Taylor: We are actively pursuing a number of this summer's free agents as well as continuing our discussions with Ziggy. We would like to add some more offense to our lineup. We feel we have a solid core on defense and have upgraded our goaltending. But it would make sense to add another proven scorer.

what about Anson Carter, is he in the plans for this year?

Dave Taylor: Anson had abdominal surgery after the season. We would talk to him as the summer progresses and he returns to health. We have not closed the door on his return, but were disappointed, as was he in his play after he came over from Washington.

How many times a day does someone stop you and ask about Ziggy Palffy?

Dave Taylor: I get asked about Ziggy quite often as you would expect. We hope he returns to our team, but he has earned the right to shop his services to all 30 teams in the NHL. He has been a great player for us the last five years and we would all like to see him return.

With all the CBA talk, wouldn't all current contracts be "Grandfathered" in? And what position are you concentrating on to fill?

Dave Taylor: The new CBA will have to be negotiated between Union and NHL. No one is sure how the negotiations will go and would not know if contracts will be grandfathered. We are dealing with an uncertainty this summer. We are concentrating on a proven scorer to add to our top six.

dave will you make a run at paul kariya?

Dave Taylor: He certainly fits the mold and the type of player we would like to add to our lineup, but I can't comment on specifics in regards to any individual player. There are a number of top end players available and it's safe to assume that we are speaking with all of their representatives.

Do you think Ziggy took too many hits last season? And could some of them have been avoidable with more muscle in the lineup?

Dave Taylor: Players like Ziggy are targeted by the opposition because of their talents. I don't think he was hit more often than any of the top players in the game. When he suffered his shoulder injury, Simpson had grabbed hold of his stick, and pulled his shoulder out of joint. Its unfortunate it went uncalled by the officials. Incidents like this happen regardless of who you have in the lineup.

In regards to the recent signing of Tom Kostopoulos, what do you expect him to bring to the Kings?

Dave Taylor: Kostopoulos will bring a great work ethic and will add to our forechecking game with his puck pursuit. He is a character kid and at age 25 is beginning to mature as a player. When we agreed to terms with him, he wanted a guarantee that he would play regardless of a potential lockout, so he has signed a Manchester contract with an NHL option.

People on the letsgokings website have been wondering if scott barney is an unrestricted free agent or a restricted free agent b/c on the nhl website thye do not have him listed and we know he is not signed??

Dave Taylor: It's interesting that you picked up on Scott's status. He did not play enough games his first three years because of his back injury and is still listed as an entry level player. So, he would not appear on any free agent list. The Kings have exclusive negotiating rights with him. We have tendered him a qualifying offer and hope to have him sign soon.

Is there any concern that the Kings don't have a "heavyweight" fighter in the lineup and that allows other teams to take liberties with Kings players?

Dave Taylor: I don't have any concerns with the toughness in our lineup. I feel our team plays hard every night regardless of our opponent. Ryan Flinn is projected to be with us this season and we feel he can provide toughness if necessary. In addition, Avery and Cowan bring additional grit and physical play.

Do you use letsgokings.com or have a username?

Dave Taylor: I've been on the site a couple of times, but Al Murray is a big fan of the site and keeps me abreast of all the hot topics. So, go easy on us!

What can you tell us about Richard Petiot? Style and ability to translate it to the NHL? How do the Kings feel about his development?

Dave Taylor: Richard Petiot projects to be a stay at home defenseman. He has progressed well at Colorado College and has one year remaining at school. He has excellent size, good mobility, and makes a solid first pass. He continues to work on his overall strength and we like his overall potential.

i assume conroy is going to be our number 2 center, are we searching for a number 1?

Dave Taylor: Conroy will play in our top-6 forwards. It will ultimately be Andy Murray's decision what the line combinations will look like. At this point, Armstrong and Conroy would be our top two centers, but we continue to look at improving our top-6 via trade and free agent market.

Thank you everyone for your great questions. If you have a chance, please come out to HealthSouth and watch the prospects train over the next couple of weeks. I'll be around as well and would enjoy talking Kings hockey with you.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 07-12-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old
07-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Ralph
Stevehead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove

Is there any concern that the Kings don't have a "heavyweight" fighter in the lineup and that allows other teams to take liberties with Kings players?

Dave Taylor: I don't have any concerns with the toughness in our lineup. I feel our team plays hard every night regardless of our opponent. Ryan Flinn is projected to be with us this season and we feel he can provide toughness if necessary. In addition, Avery and Cowan bring additional grit and physical play.
Well.... At least he thinks Flinn will get playing time.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:43 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave taylor
i assume conroy is our no. 2 center, who are we looking to aquire to replace allison, if we do, as our no.1?

Dave Taylor: Thank you. We think Mathieu Garon has a tremendous upside and age 26, he is poised to become a number one goalie in this league. Playing time will be determined by performance in training camp and early in the season, but we feel Garon will challenge Roman.

haha, wat the heck does that mean? he didn't address the question at all. anyways, i dont know why kingsfan25 thought the transcript was pointless, it was very enlightening and it's nice to hear wat his goals were on the rest of the season. i felt he was honest and open to the fans and it was great how he seemed to want to get us fans more involved with the orgtanization.

it was a great chat and some great questions. excellent job kings management!

Old
07-13-2004, 12:20 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
haha, wat the heck does that mean? he didn't address the question at all. anyways, i dont know why kingsfan25 thought the transcript was pointless, it was very enlightening and it's nice to hear wat his goals were on the rest of the season. i felt he was honest and open to the fans and it was great how he seemed to want to get us fans more involved with the orgtanization.

it was a great chat and some great questions. excellent job kings management!
What happens is the moderator of the chat room posts the question and seconds later, DT's answer comes up. So, DT answered the question he was given, but the moderator put up the wrong question.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:53 AM
David A. Rainer

Well, in DT's defense, the moderator was screening the questions before he got them. Also, you're not going to get very hard-hitting expose questions on a freakin' fan chat. I just used it as a platform to ask him about the arrival time of some prospects.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:35 PM
jfont

Awards:
thanks for the transcript dave...