HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie Lundmark

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2004, 09:50 PM
easton122

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Jamie Lundmark

I don't know much about him and I figured this would be the best place to find out. I'd like to know what you guys think his potential peak is? What line with who you think he will be playing on next season? If Sather intends on trading him? His strengths and weaknesses.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:01 PM
TheZherdev

Ability:
hes a good for checking player. He is willing to play defense. Pretty decent stick handeling abilities. A pretty nice wrist shot. Hes pretty fast. Can dazzle players somethimes (not consistantly).

Potential:
I think he could make a good 2nd line lw or 3rd line center. Maybe a possible 30 goals season at his prime. But mostly likely will usually get 20 goals. However he has shown that when confident he is a capable goal scorer. A possible sleeper if he plays his cards right.

I think the best lineup for him next season would be on 2nd or 3rd line playing hlavac-lundmark-balej. The reason is because they are probably the best on the team when it comes to stick handeling and all can opf the can burst out with loads of speed at any second. They can learn alot from each other.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:13 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
I don't know much about him and I figured this would be the best place to find out. I'd like to know what you guys think his potential peak is? What line with who you think he will be playing on next season? If Sather intends on trading him? His strengths and weaknesses.
Realistically a good two way second liner though he has the ability to play a first line sniper role on the wing. He has a quick shot and nose for the net (which he showed us in his rookie year), he also has good creativity.

It's hard to say his strengths and weaknesses since he regressed last year. He was inconsistent, or rather consistently mediocre for most of the year offensively. I think a weakness that has always been there is his strength, he gets knocked off the puck easily, he needs to bulk up more. Last year he played laxed/soft, didn't drive hard to the net like he did before, no fire. Just a bad year, didn't help that he didn't play in a role that gave him many opportunities to succeed offensively. He can play a good two way game, sound defensively, was one of our better PKers last year although that's not saying much. He also skates good.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Janerixon

lundmark has limited defensive and offensive ability, his lack of confidence and bad penalties really hurt him last season

for him to be effective he must be surrounded by players who are just as good if not better than him, he is not a great playmaker, but does have the ability to be a finisher

he needs to be moved back to lw, where he had his most success at the nhl level (scoring 8 goals and having close to 30 points i think)

he is not big or strong enough to be a center, his faceoff ability is poor, and his backchecking wasnt good as a center, all while his offensive production dropped completely while playing center

he should be the 2nd line lwer with balej as the rw and undetermined to be the center, however if he has a good camp or we fail to sign a top ufa he could be the 1st line lwer with holik at center and jagr as right wing

if lundmark starts the year on the 3rd line expect him to be dealt during the season, he is a top 6 player or nothing because he is an offensive minded player not a defensive foward

Old
07-12-2004, 10:27 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Yeah, the following is ALL my opinion...

Lundmark's potential is still quite high. It has come down exponentially from 99-00 with a little bit of realization. As of now, he's been nearly identical to what Manny Malhotra did for us, if by chance you're more familiar with him...

I'm a little concerned. I'm sure you know of the Jani Rita situation -- it's very similar to that... I'd be in favor of unloading Lundmark now more than I've ever been, but I still would like to give him another chance. If they use him wrongly again, I think then he'll be traded... but it's safe to say he'll be on Broadway come 'next' season.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:35 PM
AzWeThInKwEiZ

After he unfairly got labled as the next "yzerman" after he was drafted, he has shown flashes that he can be a 15-25 goal scorer in this league. I remember JD saying in one of the last games of the season the Jamie had already hired a personal trainer for the summer to get stronger and in better shape. I think it is important the rangers give him an idea now weather they want him to come in as a center or a winger, so he can come in totally dedicated to that position.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:37 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
he gets knocked off the puck easily, he needs to bulk up more.
in the hall - I agree that bigger players and bulking up is somewhat a necessity in the NHL. I seem to recall that in the 1999 Training camp, he was VERY impressive (albeit against other teams' training camp rosters/line ups). He and Mike York were battling for the vacant center position on the 1999-2000 Rangers (Nedved, Tim Taylor and Manny Malhotra were the other centers and Manny couldn't be sent to the AHL at 19). Jamie's strength was he was pretty elusive and battled hard for pucks. After the draft and training camp, he was predicted to be a Steve Yzerman - type player. When the 2000-2001 training camp arrived, Jamie put on 10-15 pounds and it seemed to hurt his game.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:50 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
lundmark has limited defensive and offensive ability, his lack of confidence and bad penalties really hurt him last season

for him to be effective he must be surrounded by players who are just as good if not better than him, he is not a great playmaker, but does have the ability to be a finisher

he needs to be moved back to lw, where he had his most success at the nhl level (scoring 8 goals and having close to 30 points i think)

he is not big or strong enough to be a center, his faceoff ability is poor, and his backchecking wasnt good as a center, all while his offensive production dropped completely while playing center

he should be the 2nd line lwer with balej as the rw and undetermined to be the center, however if he has a good camp or we fail to sign a top ufa he could be the 1st line lwer with holik at center and jagr as right wing

if lundmark starts the year on the 3rd line expect him to be dealt during the season, he is a top 6 player or nothing because he is an offensive minded player not a defensive foward
That sounds like a good 2nd line... I'd like Holik to be that center... using Holik as no. 1 center is like using Lundmark primarily as a 3rd lin center/PK forward.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:04 PM
RangerBlues

Does not have the ability to seperate and is pushed off the puck real easy. Cant win a faceoff to save his life, soft defensivly, gets blown up one-on-one.
He should be playing for his NHL life this season

Old
07-12-2004, 11:08 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues
Does not have the ability to seperate and is pushed off the puck real easy. Cant win a faceoff to save his life, soft defensivly, gets blown up one-on-one.
He should be playing for his NHL life this season
I tend to agree with this also... compassion keeps you on the fence.

He WILL be playing for his NYR life, that's for sure... worst case scenario, a lot of teams would take him for a high price.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Ocelot

I am thinking (and hoping) that he gets second line time. We need to see what he can do.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Garden_Variety

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
When the 2000-2001 training camp arrived, Jamie put on 10-15 pounds and it seemed to hurt his game.
You hit the nail right on the head. He's put on 20 pounds since he was drafted. His game in juniors was that of a play-maker with great skating speed. the 20lbs slowed him down considerably. Remember Christian Dube. Same thing. Just Dube did not have the same skill. Some frames can handle extra weight..some cannot. Jaime should lean out from 195 to 185. You don't have to be heavier to be stronger.

Old
07-13-2004, 06:19 AM
dumpsathernow*

He stinks. His mind is slower then Cairns trying to take a math test. He will never amount to jack on the NHL level. I hope they send him to Hartford or trade him.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2J129
I am thinking (and hoping) that he gets second line time. We need to see what he can do.
Depending upon who we sign, I could see him getting put on the first line at LW with a vet center and Jagr at RW. Second option would be having him centering the second line with a vet LW and playing LW on the second line with a vet center. He needs ice time and a vet around him to help take some of the pressure off and build up confidence.

Either way, I can't see him playing third line as a shut down player and this is his year to either make it or break it.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:10 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
He stinks. His mind is slower then Cairns trying to take a math test. He will never amount to jack on the NHL level. I hope they send him to Hartford or trade him.
Your invaluble comments and incredibly astute mind just continue to dazzle us.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Quote:

Give the kid a chance. I bet you would take back Doug Weight, and Tony Amonte had you known their success.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:16 AM
dumpsathernow*

Mentally Lundmark is a disaster. He doesn't know when to pass. When to shoot. Where to stand. How and when to use his strength or speed. Mentally he has no ability to play the game on the NHL level. True looks at one thing. Oh, he was drafted 9th so he just needs more time.

It's over for Lundmark.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-13-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old
07-13-2004, 08:33 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Quote:
Mentally Lundmark is a disaster. He doesn't know when to pass. When to shoot. Where to stand. How and when to use his strength or speed. Mentally he has no ability to play the game on the NHL level. True looks at one thing. Oh, he was drafted 9th so he just needs more time.

It's over for Lundmark.

Did you see him in the preseason and the season of his rookie year? He was great. He finished like 1st in scoring ing the preseason. Had a slow start in the season, but at the end he was our best player. He put on to much weight, and it shows. Last year he was very slow. Next year if we move him to wing, I expect a breakout year. I think moving him to center was a bad move. First he's to small to play center. Second when you play center you go into traffic alot, and Jamie doesn't have that frame to go into traffic alot.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-13-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Old
07-13-2004, 08:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Unfortunately people like True don't understand enough about hockey to see that players like Lundmark don't have what it takes. Mentally Lundmark is a disaster. He doesn't know when to pass. When to shoot. Where to stand. How and when to use his strength or speed. Mentally he has no ability to play the game on the NHL level. True looks at one thing. Oh, he was drafted 9th so he just needs more time.

It's over for Lundmark.
Ahh...I don't understand hockey. Ok. How many years have you watched Pock play defense? Is the answer that tough to locate?
I don't understand what makes a hockey player, but you do? Ok. Just how did you deduce that he does not have enough mental strength?
Was it over for Bertuzzi after his first few years? How about Doan? Not everyone comes in and becomes a 25 goal scorer in their first few years. You need to develop some players. That's the patience part of the rebuild.
To utterly give up on LUndmark right now is incredibly short-sighted. I admit that at times, he was less than underwhelming (hey SOS, did you ever think that I would write that? ). However, as we are entering what appears to be a true rebuilding period, why not give Lundmark a real shot? How about we don't yank him from line to line and from position to position? Why not say to him, "You are a winger on the 2nd line for the next 20 games. Have at it. Show us what you got". THEN, if he still shows nothing, you can try to make plans to move him or whatever. But to give up on a former top 10 pick (who HAS shown flashes), this early it the game is not too smart.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Unfortunately people like True don't understand enough about hockey to see that players like Lundmark don't have what it takes. Mentally Lundmark is a disaster. He doesn't know when to pass. When to shoot. Where to stand. How and when to use his strength or speed. Mentally he has no ability to play the game on the NHL level. True looks at one thing. Oh, he was drafted 9th so he just needs more time.

It's over for Lundmark.
Big sigh....

Yeah, I see your point.. Its ALWAYS over for 23 year old players who are still developing. Most kids that age already "have what it takes"..

Oh wait, NO THEY DON'T..

YOU are what's wrong with Ranger fans. If a kid doesn't put up big numbers by the time he's 23, he's a "disaster." Doesn't matter how the team was struggling or what kind of icetime and/or coaching he received.

Nobody's calling him untouchable, only that he's a kid with talent who's still developing..

Old
07-13-2004, 08:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Ahh...I don't understand hockey. Ok. How many years have you watched Pock play defense? Is the answer that tough to locate?
I don't understand what makes a hockey player, but you do? Ok. Just how did you deduce that he does not have enough mental strength?
Was it over for Bertuzzi after his first few years? How about Doan? Not everyone comes in and becomes a 25 goal scorer in their first few years. You need to develop some players. That's the patience part of the rebuild.
To utterly give up on LUndmark right now is incredibly short-sighted. I admit that at times, he was less than underwhelming (hey SOS, did you ever think that I would write that? ). However, as we are entering what appears to be a true rebuilding period, why not give Lundmark a real shot? How about we don't yank him from line to line and from position to position? Why not say to him, "You are a winger on the 2nd line for the next 20 games. Have at it. Show us what you got". THEN, if he still shows nothing, you can try to make plans to move him or whatever. But to give up on a former top 10 pick (who HAS shown flashes), this early it the game is not too smart.
THAT is what this year should be about - allowing players that have question marks - Moore, Rachunek, Lundmark - to show exactly what they have and what they can bring to the table. It's called maturity. Some players learn what it takes to be succesful, some don't. Now's the time to find out which ones may or may not have it.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Garden_Variety

Quote:

It's over for Lundmark.
Do you know why that's true? The Ranger organization is to blame there. Two years ago he led the team in goals and points in the pre-season. He was playing with Lindros and Holik on either the 1st or 2nd line. As soon as the season started he was centering the fourth line with Ted Donato and Ronald Petrovicky (who had a good season with Atlanta last year). Just because they needed to find a spot for Mark Messier. Messier played in the situations that Lundmark was playing in the preseason.

That destroyed his confidence. He was never the same after that. I think he took it like a slap in the face. He was definitely the best player in all of training camp that year. In fact I told all my ranger fan friends that 2002-03 was going to be his breakout season. 1st game...Holik centered the 1st line Messier centered the second line. Rem Murray the 3rd and Lundmark the fourth. He got his customary 5 minutes of ice per game. Slats said that he needed to score more to get ice time. How many forwards do you know that score consistently getting 6 shifts a game?

You're right though. Mentally his game is shot.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Unknownbutfamous

Quote:

It's over for Lundmark.

If you don't want to be patient, go root for the Gerbils! The Rangers don't need fans like you.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden_Variety
Do you know why that's true? The Ranger organization is to blame there. Two years ago he led the team in goals and points in the pre-season. He was playing with Lindros and Holik on either the 1st or 2nd line. As soon as the season started he was centering the fourth line with Ted Donato and Ronald Petrovicky (who had a good season with Atlanta last year). Just because they needed to find a spot for Mark Messier. Messier played in the situations that Lundmark was playing in the preseason.

That destroyed his confidence. He was never the same after that. I think he took it like a slap in the face. He was definitely the best player in all of training camp that year. In fact I told all my ranger fan friends that 2002-03 was going to be his breakout season. 1st game...Holik centered the 1st line Messier centered the second line. Rem Murray the 3rd and Lundmark the fourth. He got his customary 5 minutes of ice per game. Slats said that he needed to score more to get ice time. How many forwards do you know that score consistently getting 6 shifts a game?

You're right though. Mentally his game is shot.
What he does have going for him is that he has a big backer in Renney. Renney said on more than one occasion that he thinks Lundmark can be a 60-70 point producer when he develops. He also is supposedly the reason why Lundmark wasn't sent to Phoenix for Burke. Lundmark needs to pay back Renney's confidence in him.

Old
07-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
YOU are what's wrong with Ranger fans. If a kid doesn't put up big numbers by the time he's 23, he's a "disaster." Doesn't matter how the team was struggling or what kind of icetime and/or coaching he received.

Nobody's calling him untouchable, only that he's a kid with talent who's still developing..
To me it is not about the numbers, it is the way he actually plays. He is soft, gives up on a play too quickly and dumps the puck instead of showing some skill and trying to make something happen. Unwilling to pay the price and play in traffic. Doesn't show much speed, energy and hustle. Doesn't have great stickhandling, takes bad lazy penalties. Doesn't finish his checks.

Closed Thread