HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Season ender

Old
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

vCash: 500
We really didn't play much differently tonight than we did in games 5 or 6. Only difference is we didn't get 3 goals handed to us on a silver platter. We were terrible for a good portion of game 5, 6, and tonight. Whatever Lindy said tho them in between 1st and 2nd periods all series long must have been the same thing that was said going into tonight game. These guys just looked like they didn't give a crap.

I'll give em credit for going on a tear in the 2nd half of the season but the way they came out to play tonight and when they had 2 and 3 goal leads is uncalled for. Guys need to be held accountable. This was a complete choke job and people should be embarrassed.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I hope I feel better tomorrow, because right now it stings.

This game was about as bad as I could have imagined game 7 going.
TBH I'd rather lose a game like that, then a heart breaker in OT. I'd probably want to hang myself if they lost a game 7 overtime game in Philly.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Good:
- To be honest, this is what I expected to see in Game 4. It's a credit to a lot of the young guys on the team that they held it off for 3 more games.

Bad:
- Connolly goes out and we get blown out? Better re-sign him quick! But seriously Darcy, don't do it. Please.
- Ruff knew we were done during that interview after the 2nd period. I knew it too, but that's really not what I expect to hear from the coach. Meh.

Ugly:
- Missing out on a chance to put a lot of disappointments from the past to rest. The Briere situation could have finally been put to bed. We were going up against Laviolette-coached team with a goaltending carousel in a game 7 with an injury-depleted roster, certainly sounds familliar. Instead, all this series did was remind anyone who needed it just how much of an epic mistake it was to pick Drury, lowball Briere, and end up losing them both. Worst mistake in franchise, and possibly Buffalo sports, history.
- Giving the Flyers and their fans the satisfaction of finally chasing Miller. If that card was in Lindy's pocket, he should have played it after the first. Not much to be gained by putting in Enroth down by 4 in the 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
The ugly: The inevitable Miller-bashing threads all summer.
Anyone bashing Miller after this series goes on the ignore pickle list. **** everything about that. The whole series, he may have given up 1, maybe 2 goals he'd like to have back. That's it. If you are expecting more than that from your goaltender, you will be disappointed 99 years out of 100.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I hope I feel better tomorrow, because right now it stings.

This game was about as bad as I could have imagined game 7 going.
I don't think it could of gotten much worse.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Afino
The Juice

As a coda:

TSNDolan Katherine Dolan
by mirtle
#Sabres Pominville - cut a tendon - he already had surgery - is out 4-6 months

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
As a coda:

TSNDolan Katherine Dolan
by mirtle
#Sabres Pominville - cut a tendon - he already had surgery - is out 4-6 months
WGR said Ruff is going to reveal the true extent of the injury - not surprised.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Sabretip

WGR is saying that Grier was crying in the lockerroom and unable to talk to the media - assuming he saw it as his last NHL game.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:17 PM
joshjull

The Rage....

....for the previous ownership group

It kept building as the series went on and let itself out in and tirade after Briere scored. I wanted to find Quinn and beat him with a blunt object while playing a clip of his quote in the backround; "You dont build a winner by paying Danny Briere that kind of money......"

Then there is watching our young defense struggle with youthful mistakes. Then remmeber that Golisano told Regier not to keep Tallinder/Lydman at the deals they wanted.

Its hard for me to care that they saved the team because they went on to ruin the on ice product.

Gee what holes do we have right now? Top center and vet dmen. Nothing like causing your own problems. Asshats

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
WGR is saying that Grier was crying in the lockerroom and unable to talk to the media - assuming he saw it as his last NHL game.
It would suck if it was. But I would understand. He had clearly lost a step or three that he never really had in the first place this year.

If it ends up being that way, thanks for your service, Mike. 1,000+ NHL games is nothing to sneeze at.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
SoFFacet

Irritation. Indecision. Wandering.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Krieger Bot

Send a message via AIM to Krieger Bot
Good:
I had a lot of fun over the last 60 games. I really did.
The fact that we made the playoffs at all. I'm truly stunned after the start to the season.
Seeing #9 back in action.
New ownership.

Bad:
Tonight.
It had to be the Flyers.
Miller getting yanked. That was tough.

Ugly:
Watching #48 rip us up. Heart wrenching.
The fact that Darcy will still be here for another year at least.
The Miller threads that we'll see.

Krieger Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
I suppose 3 playoff wins is progress over 2.
I'm disappointed with how it ended. But last year, I was thoroughly depressed.

They were' beaten by a better team and Boucher stepped up in net.

Everyone knew Game 6 was the pivotal game in the series. Hopefully this group learns from that.

But overall, it was a fun ride.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blackOnion
Why eat eggplant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico4yoMoney View Post
We need clutch players. I am a clutch person, I am at my best when my back is against the wall. I know we exist.
They've got him on the phone already trying to sign him

Last edited by blackOnion: 04-26-2011 at 10:26 PM.
blackOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Geico4yoMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The Rage....

It kept building as the series went on and let itself out in and tirade after Briere scored. I wanted to find Quinn and beat him with a blunt object while playing a clip of his quote in the backround; "You dont build a winner by paying Danny Briere that kind of money......"

Then there is watching our young defense struggle with youthful mistakes. Then remmeber that Golisano told Regier not to keep Tallinder/Lydman at the deals they wanted.

Its hard for me to care that they saved the team because they went on to ruin the on ice product.

Gee what holes do we have right now? Top center and vet dmen. Nothing like causing your own problems. Asshats
Can I buy you a beer? Because I agree 100% with this. Please dont ban me, but **** YOU LARRY QUINN.

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Rage....

Start a rage thread. I think everyone would be on board.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Geico4yoMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Gherkin View Post
They've got him on the phone already trying to sign him

Ha I wish, but you'd all be calling for my demise because I don't have the skills (obviously.) I meant the mental attitude and strength, not the technical hockey ability.

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
The Rage....

I thought that with Pegula coming in I wouldn't be as mad at the previous ownership group.

But after this series, every goal Briere scored. It slowly but surely opened that wound back up.

But I'm honestly looking forward to the first offseason and Pegula and interested to see his philosophy on building the team through free agency.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Krieger Bot

Send a message via AIM to Krieger Bot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Anyone bashing Miller after this series goes on the ignore pickle list. **** everything about that. The whole series, he may have given up 1, maybe 2 goals he'd like to have back. That's it. If you are expecting more than that from your goaltender, you will be disappointed 99 years out of 100.
Well put.

Add another bad:
The Flyers had 3 goalie pulls, Miller stole 2 games, and we still lost. I'm not preaching doom-n-gloom, but we're not that close yet folks.

Quote:
Ugh, just heart wrenching. Thanks for all the memories Mike. You mean a lot to a lot of us here.

Krieger Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Start a rage thread. I think everyone would be on board.
A mod starting a thread that will have to be heavily moderated. I'm sure they got their hands full enough already.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Didn't the ride and ending confirm two facts we were already aware of from past seasons?:

1) The ride showed that many of the players on the roster will thrive when they're counted out with no expectations or pressure on them;

2) The ending showed that many of the players on will buckle when they're suddenly on the spot in pressure, do-or-die situations.

If there's a silver lining to this season, I can now add a few others to the "real" core (Miller, Myers, Vanek) that weren't really on the radar at the start of the season: Gerbe, Weber, Enroth.

I'm on the fence with the rest of the roster...
Great insights. You don't win a cup with players like described in 1 and 2.

I like the names you've got as the "real core".

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
A mod starting a thread that will have to be heavily moderated. I'm sure they got their hands full enough already.
I'm a masochist

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
CrazyPsycho

Quote:
It would suck if it was. But I would understand. He had clearly lost a step or three that he never really had in the first place this year.

If it ends up being that way, thanks for your service, Mike. 1,000+ NHL games is nothing to sneeze at.
I hope he doesn't beat himself up too bad over that first goal, they weren't winning this game anyway. Always loved Grier, he's a guy you need to win championships with, he was a monster in 06.

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Bad: Lindy. I commend him for the job he did this season. He took a young team missing it's leading scorer and made them one of the better teams in the league during the second half and a legit candidate to make some noise in the playoffs.

That said, his "turtle tactics" cost us this series. When we were on top this series, we were taking the play to the Flyers. Maybe not so much in terms of puck possession and scoring chances, but we were more physical and initiating a lot of the play.

When we got up in games 5 and 6, Lindy fell back into his trap game and allowed the Flyers' forecheck to abuse our tiny, half-injured defense. That pressure made it difficult for us to get the puck out of the zone and it led to dominating play from the Flyers.

Going into game 7, all of the pressure should've been on Philly. You don't want to lose, but we've heard the term "house money" all series, and we were the lower seed, on the road, against a team that was a cup favorite all year.

There's no reason we should've come out in our defensive shell gameplan. None at all.

It hadn't worked well for the majority of the series (other than game 1, when both teams were figuring each other out). What made Lindy think it was the best strategy for game 7?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Stone87

The guy I really had my eye on in this series was Stafford. I've gotta say in spite of how good he looked at times during the season I think he has me convinced that he will always be a perimeter player. He's my trade bait if I'm Darcy.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Rage....

Heh, I agree with you for once.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote