HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- Season ender

Old
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Ghills23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm a masochist
Well I knew that.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Geico4yoMoney

Cheer up everyone!!

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
fing0rz

so sad and depressed but so proud of these guys to get to this point anyways.

Heres to better years ahead of us. Hockey heaven is here.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

It was a ballsy run from a team not expected to make the playoffs. This was the house that Golisano and Quinn built, and a ****** house at that. But they played above their talent level for the second half of the season, and Pegula's enthusiasm alone carried them into the postseason. Now let's see Pegula build a team. The Sabres are only going to get better (way, way better) from this point forward.

It's going to be a fun ride. See you in October, boys.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It was a ballsy run from a team not expected to make the playoffs. This was the house that Golisano and Quinn built, and a ****** house at that. But they played above their talent level for the second half of the season, and Pegula's enthusiasm alone carried them into the postseason. Now let's see Pegula build a team. The Sabres are only going to get better (way, way better) from this point forward.

It's going to be a fun ride. See you in October, boys.
Amen to that.

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
whiplash

The Good:
This season.
Miller is a god damned hero. Put a bit of a better team in front of that man in the playoffs and I think we're in a very good position. I for one won't be giving the time of day to anyone that decides to bash him this off season and I suggest we all do the same. Ignore them until they shut the **** up and crawl back into whatever asylum accidentally let them out.

The bad:
They looked gassed. They didn't get here because of a lack of heart but it was a long season and a long series. Nothing left in the tank and no gifts from the Flyers' goaltender tonight. Heartbreaking way to end the season but not as as bad as:

The Ugly
Reading that about Grier. As much as I was down on him in the regular season, he ****ing brought it at the beginning of this series and he too seemed to run out of "it", even before whatever injury almost kept him out of the lineup tonight. Since we on these boards can't do it personally, I hope he gets plenty of pats on the back for a career well played. He was a very good Sabre.

The downright strange:
Roy is cursed, somehow. Not that anything he did precipitated this loss, just... I mean it's ****ing weird. He comes back and it all goes to **** again, all at once. Maybe I'm just drunk and making too much out of sheer coincidence. That's probably it.

The goddammit:
No Sabres for 5 months.

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:48 PM
SoFFacet

I'm not sure if it was a confidence issue, or a coaching issue, a willpower issue, a talent issue, or what. The Flyers frequently skated circles around us. Our offense frequently could barely hold possession in their zone. The superiority of their scoring chances, especially in games 5-7, was mind boggling.

I was optimistic for most of this series. On one hand we did take a consensus cup contender to seven games. On the other hand we got freakin' embaressed in games 5-7. I gotta hope that the root cause the catastrophic injury situation, but the possibility remains that the roster is just fundamentally flawed. Time will tell I suppose.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Kevbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Bad: Lindy. I commend him for the job he did this season. He took a young team missing it's leading scorer and made them one of the better teams in the league during the second half and a legit candidate to make some noise in the playoffs.

That said, his "turtle tactics" cost us this series. When we were on top this series, we were taking the play to the Flyers. Maybe not so much in terms of puck possession and scoring chances, but we were more physical and initiating a lot of the play.

When we got up in games 5 and 6, Lindy fell back into his trap game and allowed the Flyers' forecheck to abuse our tiny, half-injured defense. That pressure made it difficult for us to get the puck out of the zone and it led to dominating play from the Flyers.

Going into game 7, all of the pressure should've been on Philly. You don't want to lose, but we've heard the term "house money" all series, and we were the lower seed, on the road, against a team that was a cup favorite all year.

There's no reason we should've come out in our defensive shell gameplan. None at all.

It hadn't worked well for the majority of the series (other than game 1, when both teams were figuring each other out). What made Lindy think it was the best strategy for game 7?
This....hell they started the game playing a version of the 1-2-2...but I give him a little bit more of a pass. Trying to assemble a passable roster with all the injuries kind of ties your hands.

Kevbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I'm not sure if it was a confidence issue, or a coaching issue, a willpower issue, a talent issue, or what. The Flyers frequently skated circles around us. Our offense frequently could barely hold possession in their zone. The superiority of their scoring chances, especially in games 5-7, was mind boggling.

I was optimistic for most of this series. On one hand we did take a consensus cup contender to seven games. On the other hand we got freakin' embaressed in games 5-7. I gotta hope that the root cause the catastrophic injury situation, but the possibility remains that the roster is just fundamentally flawed. Time will tell I suppose.
Most of us would agree that the roster is fundamentally flawed. Despite Pegula's enthusiasm, it's still the Golisano/Quinn roster that they gutted year after year. But that's why we have the offseason and many more to come to rectify those problems.

This was not a good team. They just played like one for the last half of the season.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Geico4yoMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post

I have to assume that because our top players, including some people with some very raw talent dissapear when it counts, that they are mental midgets.

Geico4yoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
The Rage....

....for the previous ownership group

It kept building as the series went on and let itself out in and tirade after Briere scored. I wanted to find Quinn and beat him with a blunt object while playing a clip of his quote in the backround; "You dont build a winner by paying Danny Briere that kind of money......"

Then there is watching our young defense struggle with youthful mistakes. Then remmeber that Golisano told Regier not to keep Tallinder/Lydman at the deals they wanted.

Its hard for me to care that they saved the team because they went on to ruin the on ice product.

Gee what holes do we have right now? Top center and vet dmen. Nothing like causing your own problems. Asshats
Hell might as well start a facebook group. Not being sarcastic, I'd like to be an admin

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:56 PM
CrankyJay

Ugly: NHL.com -- "Flyers chase Miller, torch Sabres in Gm 7 "

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 10:59 PM
HogtownSabresfan

The Miller debate is silly.
He's not going anywhere. He didn't win us the series but he didn't lose it either. Team was horrible in Game 7. Even Hasek doesn't win this game. Would I have liked him to hold the fort in Game 6? Sure. But he's not Dom and never will be. He raised his game a bit in the playoffs and that's good. .917 save %. Pretty well same as regular season, interestingly enough.
Is he overpaid? Maybe by a bit but if he was a UFA he'd get his $6,25-million too.
Defence will be better next year, Enroth will challenge him and give him rest and Miller will be much better.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:06 PM
decadentia

As a Flyers fan I thought Miller was unreal except for the last game. He's a true treat to watch, i'm jealous for you guys in that respect...getting rid of him seems absolutely ridiculous. The Flyers looked incredibly frustrated with the saves he made all series.

Anyhou, you guys were genuinely good to deal with, great level-headed fans, and for that I thank you. Hard fought series right to game 7, it was a really entertaining series I thought. I was going to post this whether we won or lost tonight, kudos.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:07 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Well that was certainly a disappointing way to go out. Talk about going out and laying an egg.

Meh. Good season. Look forward to a better one next season.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:12 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Most of us would agree that the roster is fundamentally flawed. Despite Pegula's enthusiasm, it's still the Golisano/Quinn roster that they gutted year after year. But that's why we have the offseason and many more to come to rectify those problems.

This was not a good team. They just played like one for the last half of the season.
I disagree. "Not a good team" doesn't take the defending EC Champs to game 7 and within 20 minutes of eliminating them. Obviously they have weaknesses that they have to address. But very few teams don't.

Frankly, the fact that they're even a good team with the two biggest team weaknesses being self-inflicted by the previous managing team speaks worlds about Regier's ability. With the prospects in the system and youth already at the NHL level, I'm confident that the Sabres are heading upwards. (Although in this respect I think you as well as most everyone agrees)

Old
04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Arular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geico4yoMoney View Post
Cheer up everyone!!

This is one of my favorite things ever.

Arular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:17 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
It would suck if it was. But I would understand. He had clearly lost a step or three that he never really had in the first place this year.

If it ends up being that way, thanks for your service, Mike. 1,000+ NHL games is nothing to sneeze at.
For sure....a damn fine NHL career, and I think a good choice by Mike in quitting when he has nothing left, rather than hang on and finally booted to the curb by someone (see: Rivet, Craig)

We'll miss you, Mike. Always one of my favorite players, even pre-Sabres (helped that I liked those late 90's Edmonton teams).

Old
04-26-2011, 11:29 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
TBH I'd rather lose a game like that, then a heart breaker in OT. I'd probably want to hang myself if they lost a game 7 overtime game in Philly.
I'd rather have had them gone out with a fight, because ultimately Philly is the better team and a loss in that fashion would be easier to shallow. Even if it was 2-1 in regulation, I'd take that over the blow-out.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
The Rage....

....for the previous ownership group

It kept building as the series went on and let itself out in and tirade after Briere scored. I wanted to find Quinn and beat him with a blunt object while playing a clip of his quote in the backround; "You dont build a winner by paying Danny Briere that kind of money......"

Then there is watching our young defense struggle with youthful mistakes. Then remmeber that Golisano told Regier not to keep Tallinder/Lydman at the deals they wanted.

Its hard for me to care that they saved the team because they went on to ruin the on ice product.

Gee what holes do we have right now? Top center and vet dmen. Nothing like causing your own problems. Asshats

This, one billion times over.

Just this.

And I'm not really angry at the team, the Flyers ARE better, Swords had injuries etc.

But Golisano and Quinn... Yeah... FU tbh.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
CrazyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I'd rather have had them gone out with a fight, because ultimately Philly is the better team and a loss in that fashion would be easier to shallow. Even if it was 2-1 in regulation, I'd take that over the blow-out.
Well, the Carolina game hurt a million times more than this, so I disagree. Granted, it was ECF, but still, to be that close hurts so much more.

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:40 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Did Gerbe do anything late to earn the star? I shut it off after the Carcillo goal.

I have really mixed feelings about things. Blowing two 2 goal leads at home just doesn't sit right and I want to take shots at Ruff and a couple other guys, but that doesn't seem right either. Dag.

Either way, it's been a fun run. Glad to share it with you all <3.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Did Gerbe do anything late to earn the star? I shut it off after the Carcillo goal.

I have really mixed feelings about things. Blowing two 2 goal leads at home just doesn't sit right and I want to take shots at Ruff and a couple other guys, but that doesn't seem right either. Dag.

Either way, it's been a fun run. Glad to share it with you all <3.
He hit everything that moved and never stopped skating -- he was noticeable in carrying the play shift after shift.

04-26-2011, 11:42 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Good:

No one is ever going to remember that we lost a Game 7 to Philly once Vancouver completes the biggest playoff choke in the history of the NHL

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Good:

No one is ever going to remember that we lost a Game 7 to Philly once Vancouver completes the biggest playoff choke in the history of the NHL
Its amazing to watch

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote