HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andy McDonald to Buffalo

Old
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

vCash: 500
Andy McDonald to Buffalo

We've got draft picks, young forwards, young defensemen, a great goalie prospect (doubt you'd be interested in that, though)....

What would this take?

The only people who aren't available would be Myers, Vanek, Miller, and Roy (because we can't afford to lose any more centers).

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Bob Sacamanu

I just don't see us getting rid of McDonald. He's signed for 2 more years at a cap hit that we almost need to reach the cap floor. Plus, you'd have to give back something like Vanek for the Blues to not take a step backwards. As you've said yourself, it won't happen.

Who were you thinking about dealing?

Bob Sacamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sacamanu View Post
I just don't see us getting rid of McDonald. He's signed for 2 more years at a cap hit that we almost need to reach the cap floor. Plus, you'd have to give back something like Vanek for the Blues to not take a step backwards. As you've said yourself, it won't happen.

Who were you thinking about dealing?
If reaching the cap floor is going to be a issue, you can take Jason Pominville.

Our best bargaining chip is Tyler Ennis and I would be rather happy to deal him. Then if you need salary... we can give you Boyes back? Maybe someone like Pominville. Then feel free to take a prospect (Luke Adam was AHL rookie of the year, one of our many young D).

Thoughts?

Old
04-27-2011, 12:29 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I just don't see us trading McDonald.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:41 AM
HooliganX2

I would actually consider something around McDonald for Ennis and Adams. Probably asking for Sekera also would be too much.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:46 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I would actually consider something around McDonald for Ennis and Adams. Probably asking for Sekera also would be too much.
I think that would be considered for sure.

Ennis, Adam and Sekera would be doable if there was something coming back with McDonald. If not Sekera there's also Chris Butler, Mike Weber, and M-A Gragnani. We have a glut of young defensemen.

Old
04-27-2011, 01:58 AM
VilleLeino

tim connolly version 2.0?

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:35 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I don't see much of a fit here. IMO, the biggest holes that Buffalo has are exactly the same as the ones the Blues have...a top centerman and a veteran defenseman.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post

Ennis, Adam and Sekera would be doable if there was something coming back with McDonald. If not Sekera there's also Chris Butler, Mike Weber, and M-A Gragnani. We have a glut of young defensemen.
Id love to see Butler playing in STL

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:39 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
If reaching the cap floor is going to be a issue, you can take Jason Pominville.

Our best bargaining chip is Tyler Ennis and I would be rather happy to deal him. Then if you need salary... we can give you Boyes back? Maybe someone like Pominville. Then feel free to take a prospect (Luke Adam was AHL rookie of the year, one of our many young D).

Thoughts?
So you would trade Ennis, Adam, and Pominville for Andy McDonald?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
So you would trade Ennis, Adam, and Pominville for Andy McDonald?
agreed

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:

McDonald and Buffalo's second-round pick in 2011 to Buffalo

Tyler Ennis, Luke Adam and Chris Butler to St. Louis.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
McDonald and Buffalo's second-round pick in 2011 to Buffalo

Tyler Ennis, Luke Adam and Chris Butler to St. Louis.
Pass.

Take Luke and one of Butler/Ennis and throw in a draft pick.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
jeanlucgrandpierre
Buffalo Sabres Fan

There is literally 0% chance that both Ennis and Adam are moved in a deal for a player of Andy McDonald's caliber.

If the Blues are interested in something around Butler we could make something work, though.

jeanlucgrandpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:

That something gotta be something big.

McDonald is one of my favourite players and imo one of the most underrated forwards in the NHL.

However, Ennis and Sekera should both have quite much value. As a Ducks fan I'd love to have Sekera, if we didn't already have guys like Fowler and Sbisa I'd be willing to give up quite much to get a young defenseman like him.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
We've got draft picks, young forwards, young defensemen, a great goalie prospect (doubt you'd be interested in that, though)....

What would this take?

The only people who aren't available would be Myers, Vanek, Miller, and Roy (because we can't afford to lose any more centers).
why andy mcdonald? why would you be willing to trade a package including the likes of ennis, adam, sekera for him? are we talking about the same andy mcdonald who hasnt played a full 82 game schedule since 06-07 (played 79 games last year but wasnt overwhelming with 57 points and a -9 +/-)

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:02 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Why do Buffalo fans want to trade Ennis?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
A few want. I don't.

Not for a 33-year old Andy McDonald anyway (as good as a player he is now, there is a good chance Ennis will be better than him in 2 or 3 years). And surely not by adding Adam and Sekera.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Most of us don't want to trade him. We'll see this silliness all summer, where Sabres fans offer overpayments just to get a top-6 center. Trading Ennis, Adam, and another young player like Butler really hurts the team both now and especially in the future.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
crackout

The Blues don't really want to be getting any younger. However a package of Ennis and Butler would be very difficult to say no to. Judging from the other Sabres fans replies, it doesn't seem that deal would work from their perspective?

crackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
SteenMachine

Even if McDonald struggles to play the full 82 game season... despite that he's our most consistent point producer. He's the veteran that all our offensive players build around, he makes his shots count, makes the smartest pass to get good scoring chances instead of just forcing the play.

Giving him up means we'd want a serious defensive upgrade or a true LW who can out perform him goals wise or stay healthier to eclipse his average point totals. When Perron comes back we have a super crowded top 6 (unless someone has a terrible year top 9) that may allow for someone to be dealt. For roster players, not potential, and definitely not futures.

That said there's obviously no chance we package into getting Vanek, and there's no one on the Sabre's blue line that has similar trade value and similar consistency in a top line / top pairing role. So I doubt there's a legit hockey trade to be made.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

What's the fascination with Butler? The fact that he's a home-town boy?

He doesn't crack the Blues top 7 right now, and out of the four young Buffalo defensemen mentioned in this thread he's one of the least interesting. Certainly one of the least advanced.

More to the point, the Blues aren't moving McDonald for young wingers/defensemen with upside who still have plenty of developing to do. They have those in spades already.

Also, and this is purely speculation, I'm not sure Ennis would hold a great deal of interest to an organization that has shown a desire to be bigger and more physical up front.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
What's the fascination with Butler? The fact that he's a home-town boy?

He doesn't crack the Blues top 7 right now, and out of the four young Buffalo defensemen mentioned in this thread he's one of the least interesting. Certainly one of the least advanced.

More to the point, the Blues aren't moving McDonald for young wingers/defensemen with upside who still have plenty of developing to do. They have those in spades already.

Also, and this is purely speculation, I'm not sure Ennis would hold a great deal of interest to an organization that has shown a desire to be bigger and more physical up front.
Well put sir. My thoughts exactly!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:25 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Nobody really WANTS to trade Ennis, but the fact is that you have to give to get.

Buffalo needs a top-6 center who can produce. Ennis could become awesome but is unproven. He's our most tradeable asset, unfortunately.

Old
04-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Nobody really WANTS to trade Ennis, but the fact is that you have to give to get.

Buffalo needs a top-6 center who can produce. Ennis could become awesome but is unproven. He's our most tradeable asset, unfortunately.
Unproven? I suppose in the sense that he's barely old enough to drink legally in the States. But that's about it. He's "proven" he can score at this level despite his size. He has 58 pts in 92 games. He's already a bona fide 2nd line player in the NHL and he isn't close to reaching his prime yet.

Trading a player like Ennis--as part of a package, no less--for a 34 yr old with injury issues is the type of trade that gets a GM canned. You just don't make that trade. Ever.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote