HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andy McDonald to Buffalo

Old
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
No thanks if Ennis is involved in a trade for McDonald.

If we're trading Ennis, we're trading him for a legit, 1st line center. We're talking a Stastny or a Spezza. Rumors had it that we were trying hard for Spezza at the deadline and when the Senators asked for Ennis we didn't budge.

McDonald's nice and all, but he's not the 06-07 Andy McDonald who won the Stanley Cup with the Ducks and was one of their best forwards that season. He's older now and I don't see him as a 1st line center anymore and neither do the Blues as they also need a top line center. He'd be a nice 1B option for us with Roy on the 1st line and McDonald on the 2nd, but I'm not willing to give up Ennis for a 33 year old center whose best years are behind him.

I could see Sekera, Stafford, Butler, Weber, Gragnani, Gaustad, Hecht, and Pominville as players we could afford giving up for him. Those and picks/prospects would be available. No to Ennis though. McDonald's not Stastny or Spezza-caliber and he's not close to them age-wise.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:10 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Unproven? I suppose in the sense that he's barely old enough to drink legally in the States. But that's about it. He's "proven" he can score at this level despite his size. He has 58 pts in 92 games. He's already a bona fide 2nd line player in the NHL and he isn't close to reaching his prime yet.

Trading a player like Ennis--as part of a package, no less--for a 34 yr old with injury issues is the type of trade that gets a GM canned. You just don't make that trade. Ever.
Ennis was phenomenal this year. Absolutely, positively no doubt about it.

That said, he was STILL a rookie. For all we know, he could have a wicked sophomore slump and never become a productive NHL player. Is it unlikely? Yes, highly. But could it happen? Yes.

If I'm trying to sign a legitimate top-6 center (McDonald had 52 points in 58 games), I'm willing to let Ennis go to get that. Otherwise, assuming they can't sign Richards (first priority), they are going to have to give up something worthwhile. Not having another top-line center nukes this offense.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Holy overrating of McDonald. The guy is good, but to think he turns a package of Ennis ++ is absurd.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

If the point of this for Buffalo is to obtain a top line center, you're looking in the wrong spot. McDonald has played LW with us almost exclusively the last few years (the Blues prefer size and physicality in their top 6 centers), and has played that position very well for the Blues. He still has the wheels and defensive ability to hold down a center slot if needed, but he's an above average #2 option at best.

Also, I'm getting the general impression that McDonald's play is being underrated in this thread, not overrated. The level of his play hasn't dropped off at all since he's been here. Other players have their ups and downs, but he's consistently one of the top 3 forwards for the Blues every game he plays (in terms of two-way play and generation of quality scoring chances). Right now, MacDonald is a *much* better and *much* more complete player than Ennis.

How healthy will he be next year? How much longer until his age catches up with him? Those are two very legitimate questions, and they are probably more than enough to warrant vetoing the thought of moving someone like Ennis for him. There's no question in my mind, however, that if you're a team that's looking to maximize your chances of winning the next few years you take McDonald over Ennis by a landslide. Beyond that? Almost certainly the other way around.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Ennis was phenomenal this year. Absolutely, positively no doubt about it.

That said, he was STILL a rookie. For all we know, he could have a wicked sophomore slump and never become a productive NHL player. Is it unlikely? Yes, highly. But could it happen? Yes.

If I'm trying to sign a legitimate top-6 center (McDonald had 52 points in 58 games), I'm willing to let Ennis go to get that. Otherwise, assuming they can't sign Richards (first priority), they are going to have to give up something worthwhile. Not having another top-line center nukes this offense.
If you're willing to let Ennis go (with other assets, no less) for two seasons of Andy McDonald, who'll be 34 and 35 in those two seasons and has recent injury history, then you and I have a fundamental disagreement. There's no way Regier does that, and I'm thankful that he wouldn't.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

This thread is LoL. McDonald for Ennis? Probably worst proposal I've ever seen. McDonald isn't even close in value to Ennis.

McDonald didn't produce what Ennis did his rookie season until he was 27...ennis is going nowhere.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote