HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's walking this offseason

Old
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
On Regehr: What are the odds that he'd waive his NMC to come to Buffalo? Until I see evidence that players have pounded some Pegula Kool Aid and view Buffalo as "Hockey Heaven", I'm not going to count on players waiving NMCs or NTCs to come here.

On Stafford: I'm not sold on him being a "perennial 30 goal scorer" after only one season of being a 30 goal scorer. Pominville scored 80 pts once and hasn't developed into a perennial 80 pt scorer. I think he's a perennial 20 goal guy that in a good year gets you 30. And I don't know if paying $4M for another 20 goal winger is the way to go. So, one of Boyes or Stafford likely needs to be moved this summer as I don't see Vanek or Pominville leaving. Although, I'd lean towards moving Boyes over Stafford, even if the return would likely be less.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

It would be counterproductive to let everyone go who has failed to live up to expectations. Hockey is a team game and sometimes players were operating out of their zone because they were unfamiliar with the roles they found themselves in. Slow forwards found themselves trying to cover point men on the PK. Forwards used to trying to find seams for breakout passes found themselves creeping in closer to the net due to inexperienced defence who although giving great effort could not contain the forecheck--causing the forecheck to be even more difficult to combat. Skilled players needed to open up the ice were hurt--Connolly, Roy, Pominville, Sekera. Miller had to handle the puck a lot more than he was used to and he looked weak doing so. The experience the team got will stand them in good stead. That said--Grier, Hecht, Montador, Morrisson are too slow. Too few players bring energy to the game--Kaleta, for all his faults, makes everyone out there on the Sabres try harder--someone with his character but bigger with skill would be a dream pickup. I would not pay the money for Richards with his concussion history, nor 4 million for another defenceman like Regehr who is at the end of the line. I like our defence going forward with the hope Sekera or Gragagni will be the PPQB and that we develop a big crease clearing guy--is MacNabb the guy? Up front we need a forward who has Gaustad's size, Kaleta's energy, and Connolly's skill--or at least someone with 2 of those qualities! Foligno might be that guy. And gee it would be nice to have a dependable face off man even if a fourth liner for most of the game. And a question--I only saw Kassian on the tube at the world junior but he seemed to take a few faceoffs and did a decent job--did anyone see this or was it wishful thinking on my part?

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Reddawg

Wouldn't going after Kevin Bieksa in the offseason go a long way towards helping the defense with a veteran player who is defensively responsible and can even chip in a few points where needed?

He'd be a big upgrade on Montador and a big help to a very young defensive core.

Also available: Eric Brewer although his +/- numbers scare me for someone I'd be looking to as a shutdown D. Christian Ehrhoff would be nice but I see no possible way Vancouver doesn't lock him up. Wizniewski...but again Montreal probably resigns him.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

I give walking papers to the following players
Lalime
Grier
Connolly
Stafford (Via Trade)
Butler (Via Trade)
Montador

A must sign for Buffalo Christian Ehrhoff.

our D would be
Ehrhoff-Myers
Leopold-Sekera
Weber-Gragnani
Morrisonn

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:23 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Wouldn't going after Kevin Bieksa in the offseason go a long way towards helping the defense with a veteran player who is defensively responsible and can even chip in a few points where needed?

He'd be a big upgrade on Montador and a big help to a very young defensive core.

Also available: Eric Brewer although his +/- numbers scare me for someone I'd be looking to as a shutdown D. Christian Ehrhoff would be nice but I see no possible way Vancouver doesn't lock him up. Wizniewski...but again Montreal probably resigns him.
Bieska has tons of facepalm moments like Montador does. He's extremely inconsistent so I don't think he'd go a long way in turning the defense around.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How does Stafford get a free pass?

He is a goal scorer that scored 1 goal and was a non-factor in the series.
There were three sabres who scored more than 1 goal in this series, two of those only scored 2.

The difference between getting run out of town and staying is potentially one flukey goal? Stafford also had one more point than golden boy Gerbe...so gimme me a break. He's worth keeping

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Maximrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
There were three sabres who scored more than 1 goal in this series, two of those only scored 2.

The difference between getting run out of town and staying is potentially one flukey goal? Stafford also had one more point than golden boy Gerbe...so gimme me a break. He's worth keeping
not at 4mil a year.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:

I thought he played well.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximrules View Post
not at 4mil a year.
Disagree. The guy just put up 30 goals in 62 games, I thought he played pretty well this year, including the playoffs - probably the best year of is career.

If you don't think that's worth $4 million - well, you're going to disappointed in what he gets.

He's one of our most valuable trade pieces, but unless Stafford is part of package to fill a big need (#1 center better than Roy), than I'm not sure how smart it is to trade him.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Run out of town?

There us big difference between that and not wanting to keep Stafford at his likely 4+mil or so salary.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i offer you this statement to attack all you want:
If you can name 3 forwards who were better in this series then Stafford... then you weren't watching.

He played in all situations, led the team in shots on goal by a WIDE margin, he was 1 of only 3 players on the plus side, he had more hits then Paul Gaustad.

He played a VERY complete series, and I would argue was the most valuable forward on the team in the series.

there's a reason the great Lindy Ruff used him the most (20:01 ice time per game)

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i offer you this statement to attack all you want:
If you can name 3 forwards who were better in this series then Stafford... then you weren't watching.

He played in all situations, led the team in shots on goal by a WIDE margin, he was 1 of only 3 players on the plus side, he had more hits then Paul Gaustad.

He played a VERY complete series, and I would argue was the most valuable forward on the team in the series.

there's a reason the great Lindy Ruff used him the most (20:01 ice time per game)
Agreed. Other players excelled in one area - Gerbe was a fiesty pest, Vanek potted more goals - but I was impressed with Stafford. His effort level was about as high as I've ever seen it. And he was saddled with that bum Bad Boyes for how many of those games?

I'd rather move Poms for almost no return and keep Stafford at this point.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Agreed. Other players excelled in one area - Gerbe was a fiesty pest, Vanek potted more goals - but I was impressed with Stafford. His effort level was about as high as I've ever seen it. And he was saddled with that bum Bad Boyes for how many of those games?

I'd rather move Poms for almost no return and keep Stafford at this point.
exactly... Stafford's game was very complete.

I hate that we have Boyes and Poms eating up 9.5 in salary next year. I'd love to get rid of both those contracts.

I definitely want Stafford back... he's not the guy you move (unless you are getting a great return/center)

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I have to agree that we want to keep Stafford. Everything I've seen from him this year just says, "I get it." - All the way down to sporting the Richard Martin tribute 'burns and 'stache. Hang on to him, get him a center. Watch him take off.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
exactly... Stafford's game was very complete.

I hate that we have Boyes and Poms eating up 9.5 in salary next year. I'd love to get rid of both those contracts.

I definitely want Stafford back... he's not the guy you move (unless you are getting a great return/center)
Ugh. That's so bad.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Walking:

Mike Grier
Tim Connolly
Patrick Lalime
Steve Montador
Rob Niedermayer
(Shaone Morrisson)

Via Trade:

Tyler Ennis
Drew Stafford

To Colorado:

Tyler Ennis
Jonas Enroth
Drew Stafford
1st Round Draft Pick 2011

To Buffalo:

Peter Budaj
Erik Johnson
Paul Stastny

2011-2012 Roster:

Vanek-Stastny-Pominville
Hecht-Roy-Boyes
Gerber-Gaustad-Kaleta
Adam-McCormick-Mancari
Ellis

Butler-Myers
Leopold-Johnson
Weber-Sekera
Gragnani

Miller
Budaj

Can't a guy dream ??

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Walking:

Mike Grier
Tim Connolly
Patrick Lalime
Steve Montador
Rob Niedermayer
(Shaone Morrisson)

Via Trade:

Tyler Ennis
Drew Stafford

To Colorado:

Tyler Ennis
Jonas Enroth
Drew Stafford

To Buffalo:

Peter Budaj
Erik Johnson
Paul Stastny

2011-2012 Roster:

Vanek-Stastny-Pominville
Hecht-Roy-Boyes
Gerber-Gaustad-Kaleta
Adam-McCormick-Mancari
Ellis

Butler-Myers
Leopold-Johnson
Weber-Sekera
Gragnani

Miller
Budaj

Can't a guy dream ??
There's a few things I have qualms with but you're nuts if you think Colorado does that trade.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Walking:

Mike Grier
Tim Connolly
Patrick Lalime
Steve Montador
Rob Niedermayer
(Shaone Morrisson)

Via Trade:

Tyler Ennis
Drew Stafford

To Colorado:

Tyler Ennis
Jonas Enroth
Drew Stafford

To Buffalo:

Peter Budaj
Erik Johnson
Paul Stastny

2011-2012 Roster:

Vanek-Stastny-Pominville
Hecht-Roy-Boyes
Gerber-Gaustad-Kaleta
Adam-McCormick-Mancari
Ellis

Butler-Myers
Leopold-Johnson
Weber-Sekera
Gragnani

Miller
Budaj

Can't a guy dream ??
That might get it done for Stastny and Budaj but that's about it I think. I love Stastny and he is a true #1 center (despite his down year) but there's no way that deal gets up Johnson and a 1st back. Plus I want absolutely no part of Budaj.

As far as Stafford, he was very good in the regular season, decent in the playoffs. I didn't think he was at the top of his game against Philly but I wouldn't call him invisible either. As was mentioned, him leading the forwards in ice-time for the series has gotta say something. Clearly Ruff saw he was doing something right. Leading the team in shots by 13 (yes, THIRTEEN...in a 7 game series), top 5 among forwards in hits as well. I didn't notice him a ton in the series but that's not always a bad thing either. I would sign him in the 3.5-4 mil range for sure. I would hesitate if it crept up to 4.5 mil but wouldn't probably still re-sign him, not a penny over 4.5 mil.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Crazy talk wrt Stafford. I thought he looked good during the playoffs, despite the lack of scoring. Excellent penalty killing too. I attribute his lack of goals to bad luck and Boyes more than anything else. They're nuts if they let him go unless he gets a huge offer sheet. He's going to get 30+ next year again. Book it.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Crazy talk wrt Stafford. I thought he looked good during the playoffs, despite the lack of scoring. Excellent penalty killing too. I attribute his lack of goals to bad luck and Boyes more than anything else. They're nuts if they let him go unless he gets a huge offer sheet. He's going to get 30+ next year again. Book it.
Exactly. Stafford took a ton of faceoffs too.

The fact any wingers not named Gerbe scored at all in this series - where BUF played 6 games with no true offensive centers*, and two hobbled centers in game 7 - is amazing.

*I know Connolly is an offensive center - if you use the homographs of offensive meaning "irritating" or "foul smelling".

The centers for the first 6 games were Connolly, Gaustad, Nieds, McCormick, (& Boyes?). Cavemen will discover the helical structure of DNA before that ensemble springs the Sabres wingers for an offensive outpouring against the Flyers.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Maximrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
Trade bait:

Sekera
Weber
Stafford
Gerbe
There is ZERO chance i trade gerbe. He's come into his own as the seasons progressed and you dont trade someone with that much heart and determination. He has stanley cup winner written all over him.

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:04 PM
kirby11

These people, I think, will be gone:
Lalime
Monty (trade for someone) or Morrisonn. I don't think we get rid of both of them.
Connolly
Grier (loved him but he's gonna retire)
Mancari

Hecht maybe...depends how he comes back from injury. the sabres do one hell of a job of developing pking/2 way forwards and hecht's salary at $3.25 mil seems a bit high.

Trade Staff or Boyes for a #2 center maybe (Vermette or Stoll?) Boyes' lack of intensity in the playoffs was scary. Staff could maybe develop into a solid 2 way guy like Vanek has now and he did score 30, but 12 of those goals came in 4 games. But he did definitely give a solid effort against Philly. I think us keeping him depends pretty much all on how much he asks for.
Get a legit 1st/2nd pair dman.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
These people, I think, will be gone:
Lalime
Monty (trade for someone) or Morrisonn. I don't think we get rid of both of them.
Connolly
Grier (loved him but he's gonna retire)
Mancari

Hecht maybe...depends how he comes back from injury. the sabres do one hell of a job of developing pking/2 way forwards and hecht's salary at $3.25 mil seems a bit high.

Trade Staff or Boyes for a #2 center maybe (Vermette or Stoll?) Boyes' lack of intensity in the playoffs was scary. Staff could maybe develop into a solid 2 way guy like Vanek has now and he did score 30, but 12 of those goals came in 4 games. But he did definitely give a solid effort against Philly. I think us keeping him depends pretty much all on how much he asks for.
Get a legit 1st/2nd pair dman.
This argument makes me want to kill small animals.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Keep Tim, and trade Goose. Tim is a much better PKer and defensively also.Gaustad is a waste of 2.3 million, brings no offense, loses all the big draws ( why didn't he switch hit ) , and is to slow to be effective. And for being 6'4, he is not physical.

I wouldn't mind Nieds back, along with Grier. Limit their games and keep them fresh.
Let me get this straight: you want to dump Gaustad for his lack of speed yet support re-signing the two skaters on the roster who are the slowest on the roster.......?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
On Regehr: What are the odds that he'd waive his NMC to come to Buffalo? Until I see evidence that players have pounded some Pegula Kool Aid and view Buffalo as "Hockey Heaven", I'm not going to count on players waiving NMCs or NTCs to come here.

On Stafford: I'm not sold on him being a "perennial 30 goal scorer" after only one season of being a 30 goal scorer. Pominville scored 80 pts once and hasn't developed into a perennial 80 pt scorer. I think he's a perennial 20 goal guy that in a good year gets you 30. And I don't know if paying $4M for another 20 goal winger is the way to go. So, one of Boyes or Stafford likely needs to be moved this summer as I don't see Vanek or Pominville leaving. Although, I'd lean towards moving Boyes over Stafford, even if the return would likely be less.
If Regehr went anywhere (and he's not), it would be to Colorado. They drafted him and kept in touch when he had his leg injured in the auto accident a few years ago. Lacroix really didn't want to lose him but Calgary picked him as the player to be named later in the Theo Fluery deal. To this day, the Avs regard Robin as part of the Avs family. Regehr appreciates that would be seen in an Avalanche jersey before he dons a Sabre one.

But now that Phanuef is gone, Robin's going to be resigned.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote