HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: (2) San Jose Sharks vs (3) Detroit Red Wings

View Poll Results: How will the series end?
Sharks win in 4 6 2.38%
Sharks win in 5 18 7.14%
Sharks win in 6 98 38.89%
Sharks win in 7 65 25.79%
Redwings win in 4 4 1.59%
Redwings win in 5 8 3.17%
Redwings win in 6 37 14.68%
Redwings win in 7 16 6.35%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Barnaby is the only ESPN "expert" picking the Sharks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=6443243
Underdog status, baby!

TrappedInFullerton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
After a couple days of deliberation, i have decided the sharks don't stand a chance. Wings in 3. Since that's not one of options in the poll, i won't vote.

Seriously though, I don't think i can stomach losing because if the wings fans are so cocky already, what the hell happens if they win?

Negatively Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
After a couple days of deliberation, i have decided the sharks don't stand a chance. Wings in 3. Since that's not one of options in the poll, i won't vote.

Seriously though, I don't think i can stomach losing because if the wings fans are so cocky already, what the hell happens if they win?
Society collapses?

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:

Minimum one month hiatus from HF. I shudder at the thought of losing to the Wings and having to hear it from their fans, but on the other hand it will be that much sweeter if we can take this series.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:37 PM
unintelligence

i've been reading a lot of wings threads about the series, and anybody who compares the teams' offensive depth (and of course awards the advantage to the wings) completely neglects the sharks' third line.

i think they are in for a big surprise, especially since babcock is going to match strength on strength (according to dp). that should leave mitchell/wellwood/pavelski with some room to work with! they will be the x factor

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:

I think every Sharks fan on this website should AVOID the Stanley Cup Forums, period.

All they do is bait us, and if we bite, we get in trouble.

We should all just stick to this forum.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligence View Post
i've been reading a lot of wings threads about the series, and anybody who compares the teams' offensive depth (and of course awards the advantage to the wings) completely neglects the sharks' third line.

i think they are in for a big surprise, especially since babcock is going to match strength on strength (according to dp). that should leave mitchell/wellwood/pavelski with some room to work with! they will be the x factor
nah the x factor is still thornton and marleau keeping up there domination of the so called best defensive forwards and best defensmen in the game alive.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 05:56 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTiburones View Post
I think every Sharks fan on this website should AVOID the Stanley Cup Forums, period.

All they do is bait us, and if we bite, we get in trouble.

We should all just stick to this forum.
I don't get in trouble, because I don't bite. Easy solution.

Respond intelligently and acknowledge the very real fact that the Red Wings do not in fact 'suck' and you'll be fine. They are a great team, and the Sharks are a great team, and no one knows who will win.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
netman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp3710

More second round predictions with these interesting numbers:

Too bad the guy picked Detroit in 5 anyway! Whatever man, haha.
One other thing the "stats nerd" and many others seem to have ignored: even taking into account the thing all the stock brokers say -- "past performance is no guarantee of future performance" -- do recall that SJ defeated Detroit 3 out of 4 times this year, and the one loss was early in the season when SJ was still quite incoherent as a team. That included two SJ victories at the Joe.

netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Thepainter

Seriously? A NOON SUNDAY game? Really?

Go F yourself NBC.

Last edited by USF Shark: 04-28-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: can't say first part
Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:

We blame the refs and claim that the NHL just loves Detroit and wants them to do well? That seems to be how one is supposed to respond

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
We blame the refs and claim that the NHL just loves Detroit and wants them to do well? That seems to be how one is supposed to respond
I'll blame 5 on 3's. Even if we don't get a single one in the whole series! It's math.. and science. POW!

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
gonegonegone*

anyone recall how red wings fans handled this last year? i dont seem to recall alot of the cockiness last season, seems they got a lot worse over the past year.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
anyone recall how red wings fans handled this last year? i dont seem to recall alot of the cockiness last season, seems they got a lot worse over the past year.
Last year was a half-rebuild for them and they underperformed during the regular season, so a lot of people jumped off the bandwagon.

It's the opposite this year so the bandwagon is full.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
The wings have a solid team so I wouldn't be too disappointed if the sharks lose. If we weren't being trolled by every 12 year old with a library card in Detroit then it would be much easier to enjoy the series the way we did with Kings fans. Oh well!
come on now, Detroit doesn't have any libraries

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:31 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Whos playing in goal, Niemi or Niity?

John Swartzwelder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
Whos playing in goal, Niemi or Niity?
No one knows. Assume Niemi unless he's kidnapped. Oh, and no one cares about your fantasy team

In other news:

Here's some love for our team to make you fell a little better

@mirtle James Mirtle

Went 6-2 in Round 1 predictions, missing Tampa and Philly. Time for Round 2: Van in 6, SJ in 7, Bos in 6 and Was in 6.

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 07:55 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

As long as Melrose picks the Wings to win it, I'm happy

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
As long as Melrose picks the Wings to win it, I'm happy
He did:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=6443243

Only Barnaby out of all the ESPN people is picking the Sharks (in 7).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
WEAK. Lebrun as recently as a couple weeks ago said he was sticking to his pre-season pick of a Sharks/Caps SCF.
LeBrun picked the Wings in 7 last year too. I found it quite odd that he said that last year's series was easy for the Sharks against the Wings. The way the Sharks and Niemi have played against the Wings, I don't see how people can say the Wings are the favorite. If Niemi returns to the form he has consistently displayed against the Wings, the Sharks will likely win the series.

I think it will come down to special teams again this year and hopefully McLellan's 1-1-2 works and, if not, he quickly reverts to what has been working.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Thepainter

LeBrun is amongst the dumbest "professionals" I have ever read.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligence View Post

Wasn't Pavelski looking like the "new" Johan Franzen last year against Detroit? I think I heard a lot of comparison between them, and then Pavelski just played fantastic all series.

I think it's really understandable for Detroit fans to be a bit cocky right now. They just saw the Wings tear apart a Phoenix team that most people thought would take the series to 6 or 7 games. Detroit coasted through the first round without Zetterberg and without Franzen for parts of the series. If Detroit hardly beat Phoenix and San Jose absolutely smacked LA, I'm sure people would be a lot more worried about the second round.

Anyways, good luck to you guys. I really wanted to avoid playing San Jose until the third round, but Chicago didn't do Detroit any favors, as usual.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleftlx View Post
Wasn't Pavelski looking like the "new" Johan Franzen last year against Detroit? I think I heard a lot of comparison between them, and then Pavelski just played fantastic all series.

I think it's really understandable for Detroit fans to be a bit cocky right now. They just saw the Wings tear apart a Phoenix team that most people thought would take the series to 6 or 7 games. Detroit coasted through the first round without Zetterberg and without Franzen for parts of the series. If Detroit hardly beat Phoenix and San Jose absolutely smacked LA, I'm sure people would be a lot more worried about the second round.

Anyways, good luck to you guys. I really wanted to avoid playing San Jose until the third round, but Chicago didn't do Detroit any favors, as usual.
I suppose that might be why Det fans were not terribly confident last year since Phx took you to 7 and almost beat you, while this year you destroyed them with key players gone. Fact is though, Phx got worse this past year while Det got a bit better, and most importantly, exposed Trippet's trap and Bryz for a relatively easy win. We don't match up well against LA, they went 3-3 against us, so it's not a surprise that we "struggled" against them. Also we got career worst performances out of our best defender in Boyle, and Niemi was awful with his rebound control. If that repeats then I don't like our chances, but if Boyle and Niemi both step up to their potential (and get good performances from everyone else), then I think we will win.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:

Mass suicide

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

JR picked us to win.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote